PDA

View Full Version : 4.0: airship adventure: good or bad

thefinalbattle
2009-09-11, 02:44 PM
ok, i recently got the "arcane corridors" set of dungeon tiles, and, also, i read 8-bit theatre. now, while reading, i got to the part with the deathtrap. i figured "hey, wait a minute...", and then figured i could make an airship with the tiles. this quickly turned into an entire adventure centered around traveling in an airship. there would be air raids, watchtowers, and even dire rats if the PCs touch the wrong button:smallamused:. does this sound like a good idea? also, i have a plan if those fools crash their airship:smallwink:.

Sipex
2009-09-11, 02:46 PM
I've actually been thinking of something similar myself (maybe not the whole adventure but points), you say arcane corridors can build an airship with the tiles? I'll look into it.

But yeah, I think it would be great, you can have dog fights of sorts, chases, bombing type missions.

It would be fun.

thefinalbattle
2009-09-11, 02:48 PM
well, a very cruddy one(which is the reason 8-bit theaters deathtrap made me think of it)

Johel
2009-09-11, 02:49 PM
Airships are cool. Players like cool stuff. Whatever the edition is.
Go for it. :smallsmile:

thefinalbattle
2009-09-11, 02:51 PM
don't you want to here some of the encounters i have in mind? also, thanks for all the complements.

Sipex
2009-09-11, 02:51 PM
Oh, I'll draw up my own then.

Still a very cool idea though.

Edit: Yeah, encounters are a good idea.

Also, my recommendation, since the players will be spending A LOT of time in the airship make sure you have it statted nicely and make it upgradeable.

Yora
2009-09-11, 02:56 PM
There's an entire, very successful campaign setting (partly) based on this idea:

http://www.waynereynolds.com/WOTCGallery2A/2.jpg
:smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2009-09-11, 02:59 PM
An airship for player characters, traveling across the world?

Yep. It's fine. 'Course, it's been done before... in about every single Final Fantasy game (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Airship). Including on-ship combat.

Yora
2009-09-11, 03:06 PM
Craploads of airships! (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Airships)

thefinalbattle
2009-09-11, 03:12 PM
can we please stop talking about airships in final fantasy and focus on the matter at hand?

Yora
2009-09-11, 03:15 PM
We are talking about airships in fantasy. Do you have any specific thing about airships in fantasy you want to talk about?

thefinalbattle
2009-09-11, 03:18 PM
yes, i want to talk about my encounter ideas. i'll give you the run-down of the first one (noncombat) and if you guys like it, i'll describe the next one, and so on and so forth. so the PCs wake up (with amnesia) in a circular area with a booth and airship in it. the elven airport lady in the booth tells them that they're running from a rage drake. they fell asleep from inhaling the fumes from the airship fuel. if they spend more then five turns there, the rage drake bursts through the wall. the encounter ends when they board the airship.

Kylarra
2009-09-11, 03:26 PM
You don't need our permission to post them, just do so.

woodenbandman
2009-09-11, 03:31 PM
Sky pirates. Sky cops. Flying sharks. Flying wizards. Anthropomorphic shark wizards flying. Living Cloudkill. Killer Cloud Turtles. Archers riding arrowhawks. Sparrows riding sparrowhawks. Living arrows riding sparrows. Couples riding flying carpets with monkey animal companions. Awakened Flying Carpets. Air elementals. Iron Man. Flying balloons filled with noxious/explosive gas. Caped crusaders. Bears.

Specifically what type of encounter do you want? Ship to ship, flying enemies, enemies on the ship? Animated ship?

thefinalbattle
2009-09-11, 03:35 PM
a bit of ship to ship, a lot of enemies on ship, at least one instance of watchtower to ship, and possibly ship vs animated ship

Yakk
2009-09-11, 04:02 PM
How is that first encounter interesting? It looks like a simple "get on the railroad, I mean airship"?

thefinalbattle
2009-09-11, 04:04 PM
hey, i'm new to this. there is a time limit. cut me some slack.

KillianHawkeye
2009-09-11, 06:03 PM
Why do they have amnesia? What I mean is, what purpose does it serve?

thefinalbattle
2009-09-11, 06:24 PM
the fumes travel from the nose, to the lungs. they stay there until the brain needs oxygen, at which point they travel there. due to the ingredients of the fumes being... questionable, they cause amnesia.

The Witch-King
2009-09-11, 09:28 PM
There's an entire, very successful campaign setting (partly) based on this idea:

http://www.waynereynolds.com/WOTCGallery2A/2.jpg
:smallbiggrin:

What are those discs the gnolls are standing/flying on?

AslanCross
2009-09-11, 09:57 PM
What are those discs the gnolls are standing/flying on?

Soarsleds. Magic items from the 3.5 Eberron book Sharn, City of Towers. (This pic is the book's cover illustration.) They work in Sharn extraordinarily well because a part of the city is a large manifest zone of Syrania, the equivalent of the Elemental Plane of Air.