PDA

View Full Version : Most Creative Uses of Wish

Lysander
2009-09-11, 04:36 PM
What are the most creative ways you've seen Wish used? I mean the good kind of creativity that pulls off a really inventive and helpful use for the characters, and not the kind where you figure out a way to set off a chain reaction that turns the entire universe into jello.

edit: unless that's a good thing

Signmaker
2009-09-11, 04:41 PM
Tap shoes. Not even of the magical variety.

You'd be surprised how many wizards try to figure out if the mundane tap shoes ARE in fact magical in a very undetectable way. Which they are not.

jiriku
2009-09-11, 04:42 PM
An arcane rogue wished for the ability to once per day turn his level in cubic inches of any substance into any other non-valuable substance on touch. He could melt locks, ruin traps, and generally do all sorts of useful things. His end came, unfortunately, when he was spider climbing across the ceiling of a vast flooded chamber with a purple worm in it so that he could steal gems from a diamond-studded chandelier. He told the DM "I'll turn the fixture around the biggest diamond into water - no, air!"

But it was too late. The splash of falling water alerted the worm, it reared up...rolled a crit...swallowed him whole...and that was the last we ever saw of Mr. Wish.

RandomNPC
2009-09-11, 04:46 PM
I just thought of one today, wish for dropneir (sp?) odins magic golden ring that drips nine non-magical coppies of itself every nine days. but after a while i figure all the added mass to the world would cause some issues with gravity and orbit and whatnot. But I don't want it for riches, I just think a self coppy producing device is cool, i don't care if it's jello or a gold ring, but the myth had it being a gold ring...

on the inventive side, i would wish for the mental abilty to think up rhymes and allitterations on the spot at will, and the ability to turn if off at will.

Myou
2009-09-11, 04:48 PM
Tap shoes. Not even of the magical variety.

You'd be surprised how many wizards try to figure out if the mundane tap shoes ARE in fact magical in a very undetectable way. Which they are not.

Why would a wizard think tap shoes were magic? Is this the mythical 3-int wizard who doesn't actually have the brainpower to cast spells? (Or speak properly.)

jiriku
2009-09-11, 04:51 PM
My personal best wish was, after planar binding a noble djinni and extracting three wishes from it, then using two wishes for my benefit, making my third wish "I wish you would forget that I everything that happened between when I summoned you and when you return to your plane, including the fact that you were summoned."

The DM seemed caught off-guard, then puzzled, then had the aha moment when he realized I'd just made it very difficult for the djinni noble to ever seek revenge against me for binding him.

Johel
2009-09-11, 04:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVbq0sglAN4&feature=related
Underwear !!!

Forbiddenwar
2009-09-11, 04:55 PM
on the inventive side, i would wish for the mental abilty to think up rhymes and allitterations on the spot at will, and the ability to turn if off at will.

subtract the bolded part and you have an elegant curse

Starscream
2009-09-11, 04:57 PM
An arcane rogue wished for the ability to once per day turn his level in cubic inches of any substance into any other non-valuable substance on touch. He could melt locks, ruin traps, and generally do all sorts of useful things.

He wished to be Metamorpho?:smallconfused:

Best use I ever saw was wishing a big red dragon had a mouth full of sovereign glue. Logically fire breath could melt the stuff, but there are no rules for that so it couldn't.

Couldn't bite, couldn't use its breath weapon, couldn't cast any spells with verbal components. It was still a tough opponent, but it faced the dilemma that even if it won that wouldn't get rid of the glue. In the end it ended up negotiating (in sign language) for a significant portion of its horde in return for getting rid of the glue (the DM ruled that the wisher could dismiss the effect).

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-11, 04:59 PM
But Universal Solvent is, like, 50gp.

RandomNPC
2009-09-11, 05:01 PM
subtract the bolded part and you have an elegant curse

ok, I think I've got an idea for a book, but what's the antagonist, the curse, or the one who made it?

Myou
2009-09-11, 05:02 PM

Putting the glue in the dragon's mouth: Priceless.

Elfin
2009-09-11, 05:05 PM

Really. Also- the rules don't specifically say that fire doesn't it melt the glue, so even though it should it doesn't?

Player: I throw a spoon at the dragon.
DM: Hmm, well, there are no rules for that- so congratulations, you've won!

Myou
2009-09-11, 05:07 PM
Really. Also- the rules don't specifically say that fire doesn't it melt the glue, so even though it should it doesn't?

But there are rules for that. Improvised weapon, too light to deal damage.

Shademan
2009-09-11, 05:08 PM

actually, check out the improvised weapons rules.

and besides, it was a creative use of the spell. I would have allowed it as well. because it is funny!

Starscream
2009-09-11, 05:12 PM

Yeah, but the dragon's mouth was glued shut. Unless you can get solvent suppositories, it wouldn't help.

Elfin
2009-09-11, 05:12 PM
Of course it's creative.
It's freakin' awesome. :smalltongue:

Oh, and I know about the improvised weapons.
Sorry for the not-so-good example.

Myou
2009-09-11, 05:14 PM
Of course it's creative.

Quite alright, I at least, was just teasing. :smallsmile:

Shademan
2009-09-11, 05:16 PM
Of course it's creative.

see, this is the trouble with internet. I thought you were totally being a bi**.
but you weren't.

text communication fails abit some times

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-11, 05:20 PM
The dragon could snort the solvent.

Myou
2009-09-11, 05:22 PM
The dragon could snort the solvent.

But then he'd be seeing pink adventurers everywhere! :smalleek:

shadzar
2009-09-11, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVbq0sglAN4&feature=related
Underwear !!!

I am not going to watch it but assume is has something to do with oolong, and I don't mean the tea either.

For a treasure horde to be turned into a subservient to the party gold elemental until such time as they were all safely back into town.

It is pretty common for you to kick in a door, kill something and take its loot, but when your loot does it for you it is priceless!

Johel
2009-09-11, 06:38 PM
I am not going to watch it but assume is has something to do with oolong, and I don't mean the tea either.

For a treasure horde to be turned into a subservient to the party gold elemental until such time as they were all safely back into town.

It is pretty common for you to kick in a door, kill something and take its loot, but when your loot does it for you it is priceless!

Right for Oolong. :smallsmile:

And you won an internet for the "animated loot" idea.
Gotta find a way to do something like that.
"-Ok, you've just beaten the dragon"
"-Kick a-ss !! We rox !!"
"-...but as he's about to give his last breath, he activate a trap"
"-Reflex save !!"
"-Save your dice. Slowly, the whole hoard start crawling toward you. Every single gold coin, gem, coffer, magical item, weapon,... everything."

Starscream
2009-09-11, 06:50 PM
But then he'd be seeing pink adventurers everywhere! :smalleek:

AAIUWI (Adventurers Against Inappropriate Use Of Wondrous Items) is now accepting new members. Join the level appropriate encounter against solvent addiction!

Harperfan7
2009-09-11, 09:16 PM
Right for Oolong. :smallsmile:

And you won an internet for the "animated loot" idea.
Gotta find a way to do something like that.
"-Ok, you've just beaten the dragon"
"-Kick a-ss !! We rox !!"
"-...but as he's about to give his last breath, he activate a trap"
"-Reflex save !!"
"-Save your dice. Slowly, the whole hoard start crawling toward you. Every single gold coin, gem, coffer, magical item, weapon,... everything."

HA! I once made an encounter in an adventure for a rogue character which was a long room full of stuff (Crates, barrels, carpet rolls, coat hangers, chests, etc.). At the end of the room was the treasure chest the rogue was looking for. He failed to find the magic trap guarding it, a CL 20th animate objects spell.

The treasure horde.