PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story 3

shadzar
2009-09-11, 04:43 PM
Timothy Dalton will play a thespian hedgehog toy.

I wonder if any of the others will return? Already lost is the binoculars and squeaky penguin. :smallfrown:

What will it be about? Brave Little Toaster kind of thing where the kids are grown up and passing the busted up toys down to their own kids?

Flame of Anor
2009-09-11, 04:55 PM
Timothy Dalton will play a thespian hedgehog toy.

I wonder if any of the others will return? Already lost is the binoculars and squeaky penguin. :smallfrown:

What will it be about? Brave Little Toaster kind of thing where the kids are grown up and passing the busted up toys down to their own kids?

I don't know what it's about, but I can't say I'll be sorry to lose Wheezy--he was pretty boring. Also, the binoculars weren't really much of a character. I'm sure they'll have Woody, Buzz, Hamm, Rex, Slink, Mr. and Jessie, at the very least.

Wait, here we go:

Andy is now a young adult, departing for college, with his toys, including Woody (Tom Hanks) and Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) being sent to storage. However, a change of heart means Andy decides to keep Woody. Before they can be put in the attic however, the rest of the toys are accidentally thrown away in the trash and are picked up by the garbage men. They are soon picked up by a local day-care centre, where they must try to survive the everyday, pre-school children, as Woody attempts to save his friends and find them all a new home.

shadzar
2009-09-11, 05:06 PM
OK so it IS a Brave Little Toaster remake.

Starscream
2009-09-11, 05:10 PM
Also, the binoculars weren't really much of a character. I'm sure they'll have Woody, Buzz, Hamm, Rex, Slink, Mr. and Jessie, at the very least.

Are you sure about Slink? Jim Varney was able to record all his lines for TS2 before he died, but TS3 hadn't even been written yet. Are they going to replace the actor, or retire the character?

Shadow of the Sun
2009-09-11, 05:54 PM
It may share a plot with 'Brave Little Toaster', but that is no sign of it's possible quality.

Some of the greatest and most compelling stories ever have been derivative.

Trai
2009-09-11, 06:02 PM
When I first read that the plot would involve Andy going to college, I got really sad. I was four when the first Toy Story came out and now I'm eighteen years old and a college freshman. I grew up with Andy.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-11, 06:18 PM
So some of the voice actors are dead.
It's been over a decade since the last one.
It's ripping off another film.

Why can people not just leave well enough alone? Why do they have to wring another fillm out of anything even remotely successful. :smallfurious:

So sue me, I'm a cynic.

Talya
2009-09-11, 06:37 PM
Why can people not just leave well enough alone? Why do they have to wring another fillm out of anything even remotely successful. :smallfurious:

So sue me, I'm a cynic.

Pixar doesn't do that. If they make a sequel, it's because they've got as good a story or better as the ones that came before.

It's been 14 years since the first Toy Story. They actually missed the timeline for Andy going to college by a few years...

endoperez
2009-09-12, 11:06 AM
So some of the voice actors are dead.
It's been over a decade since the last one.
It's ripping off another film.

So sue me, I'm a cynic.

Consider Toy Story 2. It was made 5 years after the first one. Why not sooner? They decided to make it well. They didn't want to make Toy Story 3, but it seems they've changed their mind. It can't be lack of money, since they're doing so well, so it's probably because they want to make another good story.

Also, when Lasseter of Pixar was given a position on Disney, one of his first decisions was to drop all crappy sequels in production.

So sue me, I'm not a cynic. :smallsmile:

Lord of Rapture
2009-09-13, 03:46 AM
There's always a first time for failures. And Pixar still hasn't made a failure yet.
Yet this sends alarm bells screaming "cheap-o-cash-in" all throughout my head.

So yeah, sue me, because I'm pretty worried about this project.

JadedDM
2009-09-13, 03:50 AM
Are you sure about Slink? Jim Varney was able to record all his lines for TS2 before he died, but TS3 hadn't even been written yet. Are they going to replace the actor, or retire the character?

I heard they had found a very convincing look-a-like err, sound-a-like.

doliest
2009-09-13, 03:56 AM
I think Pixar's finally done it, they had gotten almost to the exit of hades only to look back at the glorious money making magic and they have now lost it forever. Let us mourn.

Lord of Rapture
2009-09-13, 04:08 AM
I think Pixar's finally done it, they had gotten almost to the exit of hades only to look back at the glorious money making magic and they have now lost it forever. Let us mourn.

I'm still holding out hope they resisted the allure of the magic.

It's small, but it's there.

H. Zee
2009-09-13, 05:25 AM
Or, we could all reserve our judgement until we see it, rather than subscribing to the internet culture of instantly decrying anything and everything that comes along as RUINING IT FOREVER.

Ichneumon
2009-09-13, 05:38 AM
Or, we could all reserve our judgement until we see it, rather than subscribing to the internet culture of instantly decrying anything and everything that comes along as RUINING IT FOREVER.

I agree, I grew up with Toy Story and it would be said if it was a bad (I mean REALLY bad) sequel, but saying it will ruin it for ever... no.

Trai
2009-09-13, 06:22 AM
By the way, Slink is in the teaser trailer. I mean, it's not footage from the actual movie or anything, but if he's there I'll say it's a safe bet he'd be in the movie.

endoperez
2009-09-13, 07:32 AM
There's always a first time for failures. And Pixar still hasn't made a failure yet.
Yet this sends alarm bells screaming "cheap-o-cash-in" all throughout my head.

So yeah, sue me, because I'm pretty worried about this project.

Actually, the bolded part is why I believe Pixar can deliver. Not because they have NOT done any failures... but because they failed, discovered them in-house, and fixed them - several times.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007794.html?categoryid=1050&cs=1

"We fail a lot," admits "Toy Story 3" director Lee Unkrich. "We just don't fail by the time the movie comes out. John [Lasseter] would be the first to tell you that every movie we've made has been at one point the biggest piece of garbage we've ever worked on."

Unkrich got his first co-helming credit (which at Pixar is like playing Robin to the lead director's Batman) supporting Lasseter on "Toy Story 2."

The project "wasn't working at all," he says, until Lasseter stepped in at the 11th hour, tore up what was there and rebuilt the story to resonate with audiences, pulling off what many at the studio consider Pixar's best film. (And that was hardly an isolated case. "Ratatouille" was repaired much the same way, with "Incredibles" director Brad Bird overhauling the project late in the game. Lasseter even allowed director Andrew Stanton to "reshoot" a couple scenes on "Wall-E" -- a costly fix rare in animation.)

I'm not a cynic, and I might even be an optimist, but I fully support the "always expect the worst" philosophy when a failure has a price. I mean, have you seen the extras in Wall-E DVD, the parts where they show they originally had green jelly-aliens instead of humans? :yuk: