View Full Version : You think the TUrban guy works with...

Gamerlord
2009-09-11, 06:07 PM
The big T? Sure seems like the lawful evil type. Either that or Nale.

Trobby
2009-09-12, 11:04 AM
The Big T? I wasn't aware that Mr. T had minions. Much less that they were vaguely Arabic minions who-...oh, you mean um...wait, who do you mean? Do you mean "does he work for Xykon?" or...I don't remember any villain that has the letter "T" in his name...though I can see him working for Nale.

JaxGaret
2009-09-12, 11:49 AM
I believe that "the big T" gamerkid is referring to is the warlord that everyone speculates is Elan's father on the Western Continent. He has a big T symbol on his forehead, IIRC.

Trobby
2009-09-12, 12:04 PM
Ah...if that's the case, then I suspect not. Though it would be an interesting plot twist, there's no evidence to support that theory.

kpenguin
2009-09-12, 12:09 PM
Indeed. Simply because a random npc is a jerk doesn't mean he's working for the local villain.

Jackson
2009-09-12, 12:20 PM
it would be an interesting plot twist
I'm not sure it would. I'd definitely prefer to think that the world is big enough to encompass a series of jerks who don't work for villains out to get the OotS; that, for me, is a richer and more interesting world than the opposite.

ThisIsNotDan
2009-09-12, 12:52 PM
I believe that "the big T" gamerkid is referring to is the warlord that everyone speculates is Elan's father on the Western Continent. He has a big T symbol on his forehead, IIRC.

No, see, we already know that Big T is Elan's father; he shows up as Nale's father in whatever comic it is where Nale explains how he and Elan are twins. The speculation surrounding Big T is whether or not he is Lord Tyrrinar, the western warlord who is holding Haley's father captive.

David Argall
2009-09-12, 01:51 PM
The idea that Turban is a minion of Lord Tyrinar is a possible way the plot gets diverted to him. Maybe Turban complains to his boss and V gets tossed in jail and the party must rescue him, and finds out about Haley's dad, and the twin's pop...
But right now Turban is just a random encounter. He is not a challenge placed by anyone else to block the party.

Weimann
2009-09-12, 02:06 PM
My speculation is suchlike:

The turban guy seems very pleased with having managed to tick V off, just look at that smug grin in the third-to-last panel. But why? It's not like V will give him the diamond dust.

:vaarsuvius:: "I cannot believe how much I detest your immediate presence, towel-wearing cretin. I suppose I shall have to present you my rightfully acquired spell component, as to prove my despise for you."

He also proved pretty damn accurate in targeting V's intimacies. It might be coincidental, or just something casters tend to be sensitive about, but I shall choose to believe it's not. So he might have picked a fight with V knowingly.

But we haven't seen him before. Who can he be? Looking back at our reoccurring villains, there is one who is known to be able to switch appearances, namely Sabine.

The turban guy is a disguised Sabine. QED.

Lira
2009-09-12, 02:11 PM
The turban guy seems very pleased with having managed to tick V off, just look at that smug grin in the third-to-last panel. But why? It's not like V will give him the diamond dust.Read the fifth panel again.

Kish
2009-09-12, 02:15 PM
For breaking the No Spellcasting rule, Vaarsuvius will be thrown out of the store and the diamond dust which s/he did not have time to pay for will be returned to the shelf, where the wizard can pick it up.

That said, working for Lord Tyrinar? Just because he ticked off Vaarsuvius and got the better of him/her in a contest of wits (assuming, for an instant, that "getting the diamond dust" is preferable to "leaving the store unelectrocuted")?

Spiky
2009-09-12, 02:18 PM
Read the fifth panel again.

That's one raven's take on the subject. However, unless the shopkeep is higher than V in level, there are several ways V will leave the store WITH the dust, even after the incident.

And, no doubt, a shiny bauble.

Shale
2009-09-12, 02:19 PM
Those are the rules of the store. If V decides to commit armed (sorta) robbery, I think he creates a whole new set of problems for herself.

stabbybelkar
2009-09-12, 03:43 PM

Yeah, It's eather him or Tiamat

Random832
2009-09-12, 04:12 PM
The idea that Turban is a minion of Lord Tyrinar is a possible way the plot gets diverted to him. Maybe Turban complains to his boss and V gets tossed in jail and the party must rescue him, and finds out about Haley's dad, and the twin's pop...
But right now Turban is just a random encounter. He is not a challenge placed by anyone else to block the party.

That doesn't mean he's a random encounter. I mean, you just explained how he could be a plot hook (which is not a random encounter)

David Argall
2009-09-12, 04:17 PM
Ignoring that Sabine probably doesn't know where V is, there is the problem of motive. As has been noted, Sabine is currently on V's "side". The fiends see V as their tool, and thus want her to do well, for the moment. Since Sabine is their minion, she should have orders not to get in V's way.
Now Sabine may not have gotten her orders or may misunderstand them or... But this just does not look like a fight that Sabine can win.

By contrast, random mage who thinks he is a stud is pretty common and might easily behave like this.

paladinofshojo
2009-09-12, 04:45 PM
I think he's just another jackass wizard who's trying to provoke V to spellcast him within a store in order to get the last jar of diamond dust.............................................. ............:smalltongue:

Olorin Maia
2009-09-12, 08:35 PM
I would be surprised if the Turban guy was working with Tyrinar, but I would also be surprised if he just disappeared completely.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-12, 09:05 PM

What "big T symbol on his forehead" are you guys talking about?

Silverraptor
2009-09-12, 10:08 PM

No one we know, that's for sure. Plus, I think the turban guy needs to lose a few pounds.

JaxGaret
2009-09-13, 12:12 AM
No, see, we already know that Big T is Elan's father; he shows up as Nale's father in whatever comic it is where Nale explains how he and Elan are twins. The speculation surrounding Big T is whether or not he is Lord Tyrrinar, the western warlord who is holding Haley's father captive.

Oh, right. It's in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html).

See above strip. It's actually not a T symbol on his forehead, it's his helmet port that resembles a big T, and the banner on the left has a big T on it.

EDIT: Dawww at little Elan in panel 7.

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-13, 08:36 AM
I cannot believe how much I detest your immediate presence, towel-wearing cretin.
Doesn't sound like a phrase V would pick to me. V's cloak resembles a towel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0665.html) more than anything that guy's wearing. :smalltongue:

Every other character that Sabine has shapeshifted into has had the same skin colour as her. The turban guy doesn't, so he's NOT a disguised Sabine. QED.

Dalenthas
2009-09-13, 09:58 AM
Do either of you know what QED actually means?

Darius1020
2009-09-13, 10:07 AM

i was actually wondering what it meant, what does it mean?

on topic, i figured that the turban guy was just an a-hole NPC, but i guess not...

Shale
2009-09-13, 10:10 AM
Quod Erat Demonstratum, Latin for "which was to be demonstrated." It means you've reached the point you set out to prove.

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-13, 10:12 AM
Yes thanks.

Olorin Maia
2009-09-13, 01:41 PM
V just got Served!!!!

...And now we know who the Turban guy works for. Very nicely played, in my opinion.