PDA

View Full Version : Show me your best build for a combat Warlock!

drebb
2009-09-11, 06:31 PM
I was thinking Warlock 4/Battle Sorceror 4/Eldritch Theurge 7/Abjurant Champion 5

Around 90-100 hit points before Con bonus (Probably 200, after)
I'll have +5 Chain shirt or something mithral for about 9 armor
Shield will give me 9 armor thanks to Abjurant Champion.
Throw in Ring of Protection and Amulet of Natural Armor for another 10.
And my I'm aiming for at least +5 dex
By end game he'll be sitting around at least 43 AC.

As for offense, I'd like to combine Eldritch Glaive with Robilar's Gambit. Arcane Strikes on my turn to boost my attack bonus and damage, and Deft Opportunist to make sure I hit with all the juicy counterattacks.

Can anyone throw this in the trash and tell me how to really make it? Resorting to as little obscure material as possible.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-11, 06:35 PM
Binder 1/Warlock 9/Hellfire Warlock 3
Then, depending on cheesiness, you either continue Warlock(for 14d6 blasts) or go into Legacy Champion etc(for 28d6 blasts). Bind Naberious, take Eldrich Glaive, and the Empower and Quicken SLA feats. Kill everything.

Eldariel
2009-09-11, 06:37 PM
The best? Warlock 5/Binder 1/Ur-Priest 2/Hellfire Warlock 3/Eldritch Theurge 9. This is assuming none of the Legacy Champion/Uncanny Trickster use to progress Hellfire Warlock beyond the 3 levels. This gets you Hellfire Blast of 17th level Warlock along with Hellfire Blast +6d6. Thanks to Naberius, Hellfire Blast basically doesn't bother you at all.

You can get Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell (you have Turn Undead from Ur-Priest) and get a bunch of Nightsticks to Persist Divine Power & al. getting you full iteratives on your Eldritch Glaive. Then just other attack buffs and Power Attack go to town with your 14d6 (plus item buffs) Eldritch Glaive attacks.

drebb
2009-09-11, 06:45 PM
I have a rat-bastard GM and he's not gonna let the Binder cheese get me out of paying the Con damage for Hellfire.

It's a nice thought but... eh.

Eldariel
2009-09-11, 07:00 PM
I have a rat-bastard GM and he's not gonna let the Binder cheese get me out of paying the Con damage for Hellfire.

It's a nice thought but... eh.

You don't ignore the damage, you just regenerate it. Nothing stops that. Though if your DM somehow doesn't accept that, get Wands of Lesser Restoration. Or just prepare the spell. Whatever.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-11, 07:06 PM

It's a nice thought but... eh.Naberious is basically Fast Healing 1 for ability damage. You pay it, then grow it back at the end of your turn. Magically healing the damage is even mentioned as a good strategy by the Hellfire Warlock entry, you just do it better. Strongheart Vest works, too, but is a bit more questionable by RAI.

Keld Denar
2009-09-11, 07:34 PM
Probably not the best, but Warlock4/Duskblade2/FullBAB1/SuelArcanamach4/Spellsword1/AbjurantChampion5/DragonDisciple3 (yes, Dragon Disciple, bear with me) is pretty solid. Suel is a pretty neat class. Not anywhere near the top of the power curve, but with a lot of style and pizzazz of its own. The coolest things are the free Extends on all your buffs and the +6 to your CL vs dispels, which, with AbjChamp's 5th level ability, gives you a CL that actually exceeds your character level, making you awefully hard to dispel. Nab some utility combat spells from SA like Fly, Polymorph, and Greater Mirror Image and go to town with your Glaivelocking PA powah. You won't have super high base damage due to the rather depressing lack of warlock levels, but you can augement that with PA and Arcane Strike and Polymorph and Knowledge Devotion.

And now, DD. Why DD? Its bad, yea, but in this case, its pretty good. The main drawback of it is that it doesn't progress spellcasting. Well, SA casting only lasts 10 levels, and past that, doesn't extend. This means that the bonus spells/day that DD gives are the ONLY thing that naturally increase your spellcasting prowass. Also, you pretty much already qualify for it once you've qualified for SA. Lastly, the d12 HD and stat boosts are gravy.

Not completely optimal, but would perform on its own at about the same level as a straight Duskblade, maybe a bit more due to its natural touch based weapon and slightly better spell selection. Just a thought.

drebb
2009-09-11, 09:05 PM
Hmm. I'm not getting the damage cap I'm looking with that abjurant build actually. I'm supposed to be filling the mage gap more than the fighter gap, so I should focus on damage output rather than defense. Which means Hellfire Warlock for sure, regardless of the drawback.

Warlock 4/Battle Sorc 4/Eldritch Theurge 10/Hellfire Warlock 2

7th level Sorc spells, a Dark invocation, a 7d6 EB boostable to 11d6

If I ditch a level of Eldritch Theurge for the last level of Hellfire, my EB is boostable to 13d6, but I lose 7th level Sorc casting. It can't be worth it to lose that. (Arcane Spellsurge means I can Eldritch Glaive and cast something nasty in the same turn.)

Most importantly, my two casting classes are charisma-based, which means my saves rocket for both of them.

My BAB will only be +14, but Arcane Strikes and Deft Opportunist will still fix that.

Darrin
2009-09-11, 11:46 PM
Hengeyokai Sparrow (fine size, +8 size bonus, +6 Dex bonus, AC 24 at ECL 1, fly 40').

Swordsage 1/Warlock 4/Assassin 1/Unseen Seer 3/Hellfire Warlock 3/Unseen Seer +7/Warlock +1

Feats:
1) Favored, Retrain/DrkChSh = Shorten Grip
3) Primary Contact, Retrain/DrkChSh = Shape Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest
6) Underfoot Combat
9) Confound the Big Folk
12) Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance
15) Craven
18) Staggering Strike

8d6 Eldritch Blast + 6d6 Hellfire + 7d6 Sneak Attack + Craven/Staggering.

I should probably squeeze Combat Expertise in there somewhere, so whenever anyone attacks me has a 50% chance to hit whoever is occupying the square I'm in.

drebb
2009-09-12, 03:33 AM
Hengeyokai Sparrow (fine size, +8 size bonus, +6 Dex bonus, AC 24 at ECL 1, fly 40').

Swordsage 1/Warlock 4/Assassin 1/Unseen Seer 3/Hellfire Warlock 3/Unseen Seer +7/Warlock +1

Feats:
1) Favored, Retrain/DrkChSh = Shorten Grip
3) Primary Contact, Retrain/DrkChSh = Shape Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest
6) Underfoot Combat
9) Confound the Big Folk
12) Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance
15) Craven
18) Staggering Strike

8d6 Eldritch Blast + 6d6 Hellfire + 7d6 Sneak Attack + Craven/Staggering.

I should probably squeeze Combat Expertise in there somewhere, so whenever anyone attacks me has a 50% chance to hit whoever is occupying the square I'm in.

My DM doesn't allow retraining. But that is so effing greasy. God.

Seffbasilisk
2009-09-12, 03:43 AM
If you're already locked it in doesn't matter, but most (if not all) racial paragon classes advance class abilities. That's what I've done with my Hellfire Warlocks in the past.

Darrin
2009-09-12, 08:45 AM
My DM doesn't allow retraining. But that is so effing greasy. God.

Well, there's the Dark Chaos Shuffle or Psychic Reformation if retraining isn't available. Or you can bump Underfoot Combat to 9th and Confound the Big Folk to 12th. For some reason Underfoot Combat is quirky about 10 ranks of Tumble.