View Full Version : Something in 675 I don't get

Gamerlord
2009-09-11, 07:38 PM
In 675 the trader mentions his kids will starve if haley pays only 20,000 gps, I am pretty sure that food would cost
1 sp, tops.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-09-11, 07:47 PM
In 675 the trader mentions his kids will starve if haley pays only 20,000 gps, I am pretty sure that food would cost
He's got a lot of kids, and they all require three meals a day. :smalltongue:

Y'know, Extreme and Unnecessary Hyperbole" is like covered second day at Desert Merchant Haggling School.

TengYt
2009-09-11, 07:48 PM
1 sp, tops.

That's the joke.

Silverraptor
2009-09-11, 07:49 PM
1 sp, tops.

I'm sure that was just a scheme to try and get Haley to give him more money in the barter.

But, you do have to think that affording to sell these items must cost alot to produce them. So that could've been the issue.

Trobby
2009-09-11, 08:09 PM
That's the joke.

Oh! Wait wait! I know this one!

http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/thats_the_joke.jpg

Hehehe...:smallbiggrin:

But seriously, you have to remember that this man is running a business. He can't let this adventurer buy his precious wares at too low a price, or he won't be making a profit. And when you're below-profit, you quickly find that you're going out of business at a rapid rate.

Porthos
2009-09-11, 08:14 PM
That's the joke.

Not only that, but it's a VERY old joke that borders on cliche is practically a trope when it comes to bartering.

The classical example would be something like this:

Buyer: I'll give you twenty dollars for that rug.
Seller: Twenty! I bought it myself for seventy. What do you want, for my kids to starve? I couldn't possibly sell it for less than sixty.
Buyer: Thirty, and I'll throw in a toy so your kids will have something to play with while they go hungry.
Seller: Thirty? My wife would throw me out of the house for not being able to get her something nice tonight. Fifty, and not a penny less.
Buyer: Forty, and I'd suggest that you take her out for a moonlight walk.
Seller: Forty five, and I beg you not to tell anyone how I was robbed today!
Buyer: Agreed at forty five, and I'll make sure that everyone knows that they can get a great deal from such an honest person as yourself.

*buyer and sell shake hands and smile knowingly at each other*

======

With variations thereof. Basically the "my kids will starve if I sell it at that price" is one of the oldest lines in the book when it comes to haggling. The fact that the seller would be making an obscene profit at that point is part of the joke. :smallwink:

Here, it's just being exaggerated for effect.

MickJay
2009-09-12, 12:46 AM
Not only that, but it's a VERY old joke that borders on cliche is practically a trope when it comes to bartering.

The classical example would be something like this:

Buyer: I'll give you twenty dollars for that rug.
Seller: Twenty! I bought it myself for seventy. What do you want, for my kids to starve? I couldn't possibly sell it for less than sixty.
Buyer: Thirty, and I'll throw in a toy so your kids will have something to play with while they go hungry.
Seller: Thirty? My wife would throw me out of the house for not being able to get her something nice tonight. Fifty, and not a penny less.
Buyer: Forty, and I'd suggest that you take her out for a moonlight walk.
Seller: Forty five, and I beg you not to tell anyone how I was robbed today!
Buyer: Agreed at forty five, and I'll make sure that everyone knows that they can get a great deal from such an honest person as yourself.

*buyer and sell shake hands and smile knowingly at each other*

======

With variations thereof. Basically the "my kids will starve if I sell it at that price" is one of the oldest lines in the book when it comes to haggling. The fact that the seller would be making an obscene profit at that point is part of the joke. :smallwink:

Here, it's just being exaggerated for effect.

Not to mention, the rug is probably worth 7 dollars and was bought for 5. :smalltongue: Some of the modern Western shops (more expensive clothes, for example) are similar in that they still get a significant profit (ranging from a few dozen to few hundred percent) even when selling at "70% off" discount prices.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-12, 03:32 AM
You forgot the coffee, I am still waiting for someone with Turkish-style coffee.