PDA

View Full Version : Notable Threads

kpenguin
2009-09-11, 09:43 PM
I've noticed that the RPG board and the Arts & Crafts board have been given a stickied thread listing notable threads in the board and the threads on such list have been de-stickied. Can we expect this on any other boards?

Roland St. Jude
2009-09-11, 09:51 PM
Yes, not every subforum will see changes, but they're all being looked at for cleaning up.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-11, 10:02 PM
It's a novel solution, one that I had never even considered. Kudos.

arguskos
2009-09-11, 10:04 PM
Actually, if I may ask a strange question, where are the threads in question anyways? They appear to be in their respective sections of the board, but I don't see them anywhere. Are they somehow hidden from normal browsing, or am I just stone-cold-blind? :smallwink:

Zeta Kai
2009-09-11, 10:09 PM
Actually, if I may ask a strange question, where are the threads in question anyways? They appear to be in their respective sections of the board, but I don't see them anywhere. Are they somehow hidden from normal browsing, or am I just stone-cold-blind? :smallwink:

As far as I can tell, a de-stickied thread falls to the place in the thread queue where it would normally be if it were never stickied at all. Ergo, a thread that hasn't had a new post in two weeks falls to wherever two-week-old threads are in the thread queue, which may be several pages down.

Roland St. Jude
2009-09-11, 10:14 PM
It's a novel solution, one that I had never even considered. Kudos.

Thanks, it was Gorbash Kazdar's idea from a while back. I thought it was an elegant solution, and now that I see it on the screen, I like it even more.

Edit: You are correct that the threads are all still in their respective subforums, but they've dropped to their chronological place in the subforum. (If that's long enough ago, it may be outside the default viewing period, but you can just follow the link to find it.)

kpenguin
2009-09-11, 10:15 PM
Another question: if a notable thread is over one and half months old and has fallen past the second page, is it or is it not still thread necromancy to post in them?

Roland St. Jude
2009-09-11, 10:17 PM
It should be fine to do so.

Destro_Yersul
2009-09-11, 10:32 PM
I have a request in regards to this, actually. Would it be at all possible to add a link to the Shipping archive in the Notable Threads post? Sometimes that thread falls off the front page and can be difficult to find, but it sees a lot of use from those of us in the Ship Thread.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-11, 11:07 PM
This may be the wrong place, but now that there is a thread about it, could we get the various class/DMing/shield handbooks added to the list in the "D&D and all other games" forum? Trying to track them down through search is...difficult.

Roland St. Jude
2009-09-11, 11:24 PM
As noted on each Notable Threads post, the way to suggest additions would be to PM me. (It would be wise to find them yourself and send my the link(s).)

(Please don't post any more suggested additions here.)

Darkcomet
2009-09-11, 11:43 PM
I'm going to poke my head in here for an opinion from FFRP and say that the character registry threads being un-stickied is just going to cause more confusion. People are already getting headaches at the number of settings popping up, and the registries being harder to access is just going to make the problem worse in this case.

Of course, there may be something I don't know here.

Roland St. Jude
2009-09-12, 12:07 AM
I'm going to poke my head in here for an opinion from FFRP and say that the character registry threads being un-stickied is just going to cause more confusion. People are already getting headaches at the number of settings popping up, and the registries being harder to access is just going to make the problem worse in this case.

Of course, there may be something I don't know here.

They're still there; they're one click "harder" to access now. I've changed the label on the Notable Threads thread to indicate the character registries are there, maybe that'll help. But FFRP is a bit of a free-for-all by nature, so I don't think the headache's people are already having stem from a problem that can be resolved.

Milskidasith
2009-09-12, 02:45 AM
I like the new solution. I wouldn't call it "novel" (I've seen it before on other forums), but I would definitely call it elegant, considering the stickied threads were starting to take up a lot of screen space.