PDA

View Full Version : Build me a Human Wizard 3.5

HMS Invincible
2009-09-12, 12:01 AM
How should I build a wizard that won't see much combat? It's been a while since I've played 3.5 and I not sure how to go about it.
It will only be core books of PHB,DMG, MM. That's it, and w/e is in the SRD. I'm not sure if the game will be point buy or rolling dice for stats.
What school should I specialize in? What areas are each strong in and weak? What are good things to put ranks in besides the usual arcana, spellcraft, etc.

I think combat will be limited but I'm very tempted to optimize anyway.

The campaign is gonna be level 1 for now.

ex cathedra
2009-09-12, 12:07 AM
It's fairly simple, especially in core. You need int and con.

Conjuration is a very popular specialization. Enchantment, Evocation, and Necromancy are popular schools to drop. Abjuration and Illusion slightly less so.

Skills. You have a lot of skill points for your int modifier. That's really up to you, if you aren't expecting a large deal of combat social skills would generally be nice.

Good spells for your level, offensively, are Grease and Color Spray.

Ganurath
2009-09-12, 12:11 AM
How should I build a wizard that won't see much combat?That depends: Do you mean the wizard won't be on the front lines, or that the wizard is in a political campaign of some sort and will be levelling primarily on roleplaying XP?

Keld Denar
2009-09-12, 12:49 AM
Actually, for a core only low combat game, you'd probably do well with an Illusionist or a *shudder* Enchanter. The former is limited only by your imagination. A little illusion + a lot of description goes a LONG way. The latter will really set you up in social encounters, focusing on spells like charms and suggestions to beguile your friends, enemies, and otherwises. Nothing says you can't take spells from each, though, and if you want maximal versatility, I wouldn't even specialize. As far as feats/PrCs/stuff, I'd nab 2 different Spell Focuses (prereqs for Archmage), some crafting/metamagic feats like CWI and Extend/Quicken Spell, nab a few levels in Loremaster from the DMG till you qualify for Archmage, taking a couple levels back and forth between those 2 till you get all the abilities you want.

Not to much reason to optimize out to the max, since it sounds like a pretty casual game. Keep a couple of the REALLY good spells around, just in case though. A well placed Glitterdust is STILL a hugely effective tactic at level 10 as it is at level 3, and never doubt the powah of Haste.

Korivan
2009-09-12, 12:33 PM
Don't neglect dex though. Very important to help ray spells, reflex saves, AC, and of course initiative.

kamikasei
2009-09-12, 02:17 PM
I'm always fond of a Diviner specialization. Chances are good you can find one spell per level from the school to use each day, and it means you only have to drop one school. If you're not using the various ACFs dependent on a specialized school, then that's the main thing that matters.

Really, it depends heavily on exactly what sort of things you want to be doing. Core/SRD only, you have a few good PRCs but no real must-haves (though Archmage is always good to take), and no huge need for any particular skill.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-12, 03:41 PM
How should I build a wizard that won't see much combat? It's been a while since I've played 3.5 and I not sure how to go about it.
It will only be core books of PHB,DMG, MM. That's it, and w/e is in the SRD. I'm not sure if the game will be point buy or rolling dice for stats.
What school should I specialize in? What areas are each strong in and weak? What are good things to put ranks in besides the usual arcana, spellcraft, etc.

I think combat will be limited but I'm very tempted to optimize anyway.

The campaign is gonna be level 1 for now.

Well, here's a suggestion for you, feel free to use it or not as you see fit.

Core doesn't have a lot of spiffy PrC's, but it's got a few.

At 1st level, your highest stat should be your Int, followed by your Con and Dex. The rest can be 8's for all I care. Str and Cha are both major dump stats at least, you may want at least a 10 Wis to avoid a penalty on your Will saves.

I will direct you to the PrC Loremaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/loremaster.htm) also found in the DMG 3.5. I am directing you there now so you can get ready for it, because it has some really intensive requirements that you need to be getting ready to qualify for from level 1.

The reason why I like Loremaster is simple: It's more powerful than straight Wizard, and gives you the whole "Yes, I do know everything about everything" kind of bookish smarts which wizards are infamous for.

Now then, being a Human Wizard, you get 2 feats of choice, plus Scribe Scroll. You'll need Skill Focus: Knowledge (Arcana) and one metamagic feat. Yes, you won't be able to use it yet, however it is the fastest way into the PrC. Besides, Scribe Scroll counts, so you can get all your feat requirements done by level 1.

You get into Loremaster after level 7 (need 10 ranks in two different Knowledge skills). Ride it all the way to the end.

From there, head into Archmage. It's where all the cool kids go.

kamikasei
2009-09-12, 04:33 PM
Now then, being a Human Wizard, you get 2 feats of choice, plus Scribe Scroll. You'll need Skill Focus: Knowledge (Arcana) and one metamagic feat. Yes, you won't be able to use it yet, however it is the fastest way into the PrC. Besides, Scribe Scroll counts, so you can get all your feat requirements done by level 1.

Some nitpicking. Loremaster requires "any three metamagic or item creation feats, plus Skill Focus (any knowledge)". Scribe Scroll counts, but he then needs two more metamagic/item creation feats, not just one as you have above. The best bet is probably to go with one metamagic feat in the bonus slot at level 5, and Craft Wondrous Item at level 3, if the game will leave any time for crafting at all - it's a very useful feat, especially if you're using the MIC rules for adding standard bonuses to slotted items, and the variant rule for taking crafting XP from the owner of the item, both options your DM may be happy to approve.

As to the advisability of PrCing in Core/SRD only, check with your DM as to a) whether PrCs that advance spellcasting also grant the two free spells/level that a base Wizard gets, and b) if not, how freely available scrolls will be. You don't want to get stuck unable to learn new spells easily.

HMS Invincible
2009-09-14, 01:24 AM
It's fairly simple, especially in core. You need int and con.

Conjuration is a very popular specialization. Enchantment, Evocation, and Necromancy are popular schools to drop. Abjuration and Illusion slightly less so.

Skills. You have a lot of skill points for your int modifier. That's really up to you, if you aren't expecting a large deal of combat social skills would generally be nice.

Good spells for your level, offensively, are Grease and Color Spray.

I'm dropping evocation for sure, but what's so bad about necromancy that people will drop it?

Keld Denar
2009-09-14, 01:34 AM
At mid-highish levels, a lot of stuff tends to be immune to negative energy/death effects. There are still a decent number of good necromancy's though. Heck, Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement is a freaking amazing 3rd level spell that'll pretty much neuter any melee oriented enemy, regardless of size for an awefully long time...

Not to mention that Enervation is freakin awesome. Heck, even False Life is good, especially for a Sorcerer or Dread Necro (with Expanded Learning).

ex cathedra
2009-09-14, 01:34 AM
I'm dropping evocation for sure, but what's so bad about necromancy that people will drop it?

It's by no means the worst school, but it has several problems.

A lot of Necromancy spells have an Alignment descriptor, which makes it less useful for certain characters. It isn't much of a multi-threat school, mainly focusing on killing things and rarely bringing them back to life (or un-life, as the case may commonly be). That's covered by several other schools, though Necromancy does has some excellent ability damage spells. It isn't terrible, but it isn't Conjuration, Transmutation, etc.

You see, Conjuration does everything. Transmutation, Abjuration, and Illusion have effects that can't be replicated by other schools. Evocations kills things, with a few notable uses that Illusion is kind enough to cover. Necromancy kills things, but you already have enough of that, don't you? Enchantment is fun with regards to roleplaying, but the fact that several enemy types that you confront at every level are immune to it is a problem. The fact that a handful of spells and powers grant complete immunity to the school is akin to rubbing salt into the wound. You can't drop divination.

Keld raises several good points. I generally wouldn't drop Necromancy unless specializing, which might not be an option for you. However, when I only get 4/7 schools... necromancy is high on the chopping block's list, neh?

Keld Denar
2009-09-14, 01:51 AM
Actually, if I'm in a group with a Cleric, Druid, Beguiler, Psion, Warlock, or Dragonfire Adept, I'd rather drop Abjuration than Necromancy. I just love Necromancy, especially the low level rays. Other classes can bring Dispel Magic to the table, and then all you are really missing out on is Anticipate Teleport, which may or may not screw your own party as often as it helps. Clerics do Dispel Magic better anyway, with Inquisition domain, Divine Spell Power, Divine Defiance + Dispel Magic, and a few other tricks. Illusion + Conjouration has as many, if not more, protective spells than Abjuration...

Give me those sweet sweet sweet debuffs. Disablin is what a wizard does bestest, and Necromancy's got a few doosies that are "save, but still suck" and "no save, just suck". Thats a good investment!

ex cathedra
2009-09-14, 01:55 AM
Actually, if I'm in a group with a Cleric, Druid, Beguiler, Psion, Warlock, or Dragonfire Adept, I'd rather drop Abjuration than Necromancy. I just love Necromancy, especially the low level rays. Other classes can bring Dispel Magic to the table, and then all you are really missing out on is Anticipate Teleport, which may or may not screw your own party as often as it helps. Clerics do Dispel Magic better anyway, with Inquisition domain, Divine Spell Power, Divine Defiance + Dispel Magic, and a few other tricks. Illusion + Conjouration has as many, if not more, protective spells than Abjuration...

Give me those sweet sweet sweet debuffs. Disablin is what a wizard does bestest, and Necromancy's got a few doosies that are "save, but still suck" and "no save, just suck". Thats a good investment!

This is true.

Out of core, however, there are a few Abjuration-specific PrCs that... well, you probably know.

Mmm, Iot7V.

It's all very dependent on your build, and I am in no way saying that dropping Necromancy is always, or is even usually, a good idea. Unless we're bring morality into this, of course.