PDA

View Full Version : SR. worth keeping?

Mystic Muse
2009-09-12, 02:48 AM
my character has an SR of 15. 11 for being a drow and +4 for their class level. I don't know how good this is so I have to ask. should I keep this or is SR lousy? The main reason I'm considering keeping it is I want to be more effective against mages for its effect against them but SR 15 seems a bit low since don't most spells you can save on have a check of 10 +caster level + something else I'm not remembering?

Milskidasith
2009-09-12, 02:50 AM
Err... the check on spells is 1d20+CL, not 10+CL+W/E.

The saving throw for the spells is 10+Spell level+the key stat, but SR is a pure CL check, so I don't really know what you think is 10 + CL + something else + a roll.

Anyway, with SR of 11 +1 per level, you will be 50% immune to SR: Yes spells from any magic user at your level. This is useful, unless you could trade it off for something more useful.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-12, 02:51 AM
okay. just making sure before I present my character to my DM tomorrow.

Seffbasilisk
2009-09-12, 03:27 AM
Also, even low SR is better than no SR at all. It gives the spells that allow it a chance to fail.

Nothing like a foe throwing up a Wall of Fire, and you just blithely ignoring it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-12, 10:22 AM
Also, even low SR is better than no SR at all. It gives the spells that allow it a chance to fail.

Nothing like a foe throwing up a Wall of Fire, and you just blithely ignoring it.Nothing like an ally throwing Haste and you just blithely ignoring it. Lose the SR, the fact that it affects buffs and healing will come up far more often than thefact that it affects offensive spells.

Starsinger
2009-09-12, 10:30 AM
Aren't Drow one of the races that can voluntarily lower their SR for buff purposes?

NEO|Phyte
2009-09-12, 10:38 AM
Aren't Drow one of the races that can voluntarily lower their SR for buff purposes?

Yes, but it takes a standard action per round to do so.

Volkov
2009-09-12, 10:39 AM
I think trading buffs for protection against the vast majority of harmful spells is more than worth it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-12, 10:45 AM
I think trading buffs for protection against the vast majority of harmful spells is more than worth it.Yeah, I don't. Enemy casters will just switch to SR:No spells, while your allies can't hit you with Heal any more.

peacenlove
2009-09-12, 11:19 AM
Yes, but it takes a standard action per round to do so.

THere is a feat in Drow of the Underdark that reduces it to an immediate action.

woodenbandman
2009-09-12, 11:33 AM
SR is either really good or really bad. It's really good if your enemy isn't prepared for you to have SR, but really bad if they are.

There are times when a Spell Resistance spell is extremely useful, and there are times when it is not.

Overall, SR of 11 + class level is extremely weak. the spell resistance spell grants more than that, and it's more easily boosted when you need it. Not to mention that almost any competent caster can overcome it, whether they have a ridiculous CL from feats/items, or just took Spell Penetration (or even chose the right spells to cast, like Grease). Instantaneous spells don't allow SR usually, conjurations don't, summons don't, things like Black Tentacles or Solid Fog don't...

So basically it's good if your DM recognizes that it sucks and then plays to it so that you get a few breaks. Otherwise the DM will think it's too good and ban it.

Volkov
2009-09-12, 11:53 AM
SR is either really good or really bad. It's really good if your enemy isn't prepared for you to have SR, but really bad if they are.

There are times when a Spell Resistance spell is extremely useful, and there are times when it is not.

Overall, SR of 11 + class level is extremely weak. the spell resistance spell grants more than that, and it's more easily boosted when you need it. Not to mention that almost any competent caster can overcome it, whether they have a ridiculous CL from feats/items, or just took Spell Penetration (or even chose the right spells to cast, like Grease). Instantaneous spells don't allow SR usually, conjurations don't, summons don't, things like Black Tentacles or Solid Fog don't...

So basically it's good if your DM recognizes that it sucks and then plays to it so that you get a few breaks. Otherwise the DM will think it's too good and ban it.
Evocations, Save or Die spells, and directly damaging conjurations all allow it.

Keld Denar
2009-09-12, 11:58 AM
Evocations, Save or Die spells, and directly damaging conjurations all allow it.

There. Virtually NO conjourations are affected by it. Orbs aren't. AoE nukes like Greater Fireburst and Arc Lightning aren't.

Grumman
2009-09-12, 12:06 PM
Overall, SR of 11 + class level is extremely weak. the spell resistance spell grants more than that, and it's more easily boosted when you need it.
Spell Resistance only gives you 12+CL SR, and is only available to clerics.

Not to mention that almost any competent caster can overcome it, whether they have a ridiculous CL from feats/items, or just took Spell Penetration (or even chose the right spells to cast, like Grease).
Does your DM ever actually optimise primary spellcasters like a player would?

In a game with LA buyoff, I'd probably prefer a Shadow Lesser Drow for total concealment, fast healing and evasion.