PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Bolt!

Teutonic Knight
2009-09-12, 03:49 AM
Since when has V's lightning become yellow?

Last I checked, the quickened chain lightening V used in Azure City was white, as was every lightning bolt before that.

Maybe V turned it yellow to match the tone of desert?

Moogleking
2009-09-12, 05:42 AM
Oh snap. He's right.

Daefos
2009-09-12, 09:48 AM
As my many childhood drawings can attest, lightning is naturally yellow in color. Since this Lightning spell was Quickened, it wasn't fully prepared to be cast and forgot to change it's color to white.

We've seen V cast a Quickened Chain Lightning before, and it was white, but this is because Chain Lightning is more professional than it's lazy cousin, and changes it's color as soon as someone prepares it.

kpenguin
2009-09-12, 10:15 AM
Obviously, V is using the power of SHAZAM!

Expeditious
2009-09-12, 10:34 AM
The Turban Guy has white outfit, thus the lightning bolt needed to be of different color.

Thou I must confess I'm fond of Daefos' explanation.

JaxGaret
2009-09-12, 11:55 AM
It's possible that the magic shop has a custom spell permacast upon it that makes any foreign spells that are cast in its area glow bright yellow, making it easier for the shopkeep to know if someone is trying to pull something.

... reaching much? :smallsmile:

Morty
2009-09-12, 12:31 PM
The Turban Guy has white outfit, thus the lightning bolt needed to be of different color.

That seems to be the most likely explanation.

Optimystik
2009-09-12, 12:58 PM

By jove, what an expeditious explanation!

BatRobin
2009-09-12, 01:03 PM
White Lightning Bolt was quite possibly from a Soul Splice, hence the color change.

Elfin
2009-09-12, 01:26 PM
No, the lightning bolt in Azure City was also white.
I think the most likely explanation is that it needed to be a different color than the Turban Guy's robe.

Giggling Ghast
2009-09-12, 01:37 PM
As long as V isn't throwing sticks and shouting "LIGHTNING BOLT!" repeatedly, I'm happy.

Spiky
2009-09-12, 01:49 PM
Someone has obviously run out of white crayons.

NerfTW
2009-09-12, 01:49 PM
Spell colors have always changed so they can be seen against the background. As have the speed lines, as evidenced just a few strips ago with the kids. A lot of the white lines are going to be recolored until they're out of the town.

Darius1020
2009-09-12, 02:08 PM
It's probably part of the art upgrade, I'm guessing at least V's lightning is gonna be yellow from now on, maybe Durkon's is gonna stay white, so its easier to distinguish when they're casting spells

BatRobin
2009-09-12, 02:09 PM
As long as V isn't throwing sticks and shouting "LIGHTNING BOLT!" repeatedly, I'm happy.

And crumpled paper being the new FIREBALL!

Optimystik
2009-09-12, 02:20 PM

To paraphrase Yahtzee: LARPers are to nerds what nerds are to the general public :smalltongue:

Oh no I quoted Candle Ja

FujinAkari
2009-09-12, 05:05 PM
Erm... Clearly Yellow is NONLETHAL lightning... so V won't get kicked out!

Teutonic Knight
2009-09-12, 05:16 PM
I see.

A white lightning bolt would barely be noticeable in the dull light brown background. The only other color I would suggest is blue.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-12, 05:16 PM

I honestly don't believe that :vaarsuvius: knows what non-lethal mean.

Realistic answer: Art upgrade.

Better answers: :vaarsuvius:'s recent alignment shift has changed to visual aspects of his spells. Or perhaps it's the presence of his familiar that changed it.

Bibliomancer
2009-09-12, 05:23 PM

An interesting theory, but that adds one level to the spell, making the total 8, which V can't currently cast.

Also, I would be surprised if V wasted a feat slot on something that incapacitates people, because people who have names (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html) don't die easily. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html)

Trobby
2009-09-12, 07:38 PM
...Maybe V is using a new edition of Lightning that does better damage, but is yellow-tinted for some reason? o.o

Well, my honest bet is on it being part of the spell detection in the tent to prevent patrons from casting spells. Naturally, a shop keeper who owns his own shop of magic reagents will have abjurations to protect his wares from being stolen, so rather than making it an antimagic tent, he simply has special ward spells to warn him if somebody is abusing magic in the store.

Optimystik
2009-09-12, 07:57 PM
...Maybe V is using a new edition of Lightning that does better damage, but is yellow-tinted for some reason? o.o

Well, my honest bet is on it being part of the spell detection in the tent to prevent patrons from casting spells. Naturally, a shop keeper who owns his own shop of magic reagents will have abjurations to protect his wares from being stolen, so rather than making it an antimagic tent, he simply has special ward spells to warn him if somebody is abusing magic in the store.

I don't think a warding will be necessary to notice that someone just freaking fired off a lightning bolt in your tent.

V might be able to beat a hasty (expeditious) retreat before the authorities arrive, though.

Trobby
2009-09-12, 08:24 PM
I don't think a warding will be necessary to notice that someone just freaking fired off a lightning bolt in your tent.

No, but what if it were something less noticeable, like Charm Person, or Dominate Monster? That wouldn't get noticed as easily. Hence, needing to ward the tent to warn the purveyor of magic being cast within.

AxeD
2009-09-20, 09:15 AM
As my many childhood drawings can attest, lightning is naturally yellow in color. Since this Lightning spell was Quickened, it wasn't fully prepared to be cast and forgot to change it's color to white.

We've seen V cast a Quickened Chain Lightning before, and it was white, but this is because Chain Lightning is more professional than it's lazy cousin, and changes it's color as soon as someone prepares it.

I'm so tired that I can't tell if you're being serious or not. It'd be kinda cool if Rich had different shades of colour for spells affected by metamagic though.

ericgrau
2009-09-20, 09:37 AM

I agree. Take this for example.

newcresty
2009-09-20, 11:14 AM
now that we're talking 'bout little detail cencerning V, i would like to point out his headband of ntelect while his with his mate in the elven homeland

he obtained that headband, after dorukan dungeon, and before dorukan, he (she? it?) didn't have any of it own (at least that we know about it), so? little error? V had a headband we didn't know about? im a nit picker? (yes I am)

Sewblon
2009-09-20, 12:25 PM
At first I thought V might have gotten some sort of upgrade for quickened chained lighting bolt the last time he leveled up. But now it seems more probable that The Giant wanted the lightning to have a different color than the turban guys clothes.

Moriato
2009-09-20, 02:11 PM
Perhaps V's magic is tinted yellow when V is pissed

ZerglingOne
2009-09-20, 09:10 PM
Perhaps V is dehydrated? :smallconfused:

Heh. :smallamused:

Orzel
2009-09-20, 09:31 PM
Lightning is whatever color it feels like whenever it feels like.
What, you gonna argue wit it?
The dude's crazy.

Bibliomancer
2009-09-20, 09:34 PM
now that we're talking 'bout little detail cencerning V, i would like to point out his headband of ntelect while his with his mate in the elven homeland

he obtained that headband, after dorukan dungeon, and before dorukan, he (she? it?) didn't have any of it own (at least that we know about it), so? little error? V had a headband we didn't know about? im a nit picker? (yes I am)

Actually, V acquired a Ring of Wizardry (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html) after the Dungeon of Dorukan. She had the headband the whole time.