PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Songbird Prestige Class- P.E.A.C.H.

Rising Phoenix
2009-09-12, 05:44 AM
Well I think it's about time I gave something back to this wonderful community. This is the first full fledged prestige class I've bothered creating so I am hoping on some constructive critisism. I hope it's worthy of your attention !:smallsmile:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Songbird
“A little bird told me…”

Marcus Thymetouched, a Songbird

Kindness begets kindness they say and that’s what Eleonora of the Roses (the first known Songbird) received when she opened the doors to a lords’ aviary, releasing all the birds trapped within. Three nights after her deed of mercy, she felt something small and warm land on her shoulder and a tiny voice whispered.

“Eleonora, Eleonora…as you helped us…so shall we…We know what you seek…We know where it is…We know whether light or darkness lies within ones’ heart…and we shall tell these to you, all of them…for you freed us…and we shall free you in return…”

Becoming a Songbird:

To become a Songbird one must first perform a deed of kindness towards an avian creature. This can range from simply opening the door of a small cage ‘accidentally’ to breaking into a menagerie releasing all the animals kept within. Regardless of the act if any of the avian creatures feels that the person who released or saved them is of pure enough heart, it will return to him or her with a proposal no sooner or later then three days or nights. The proposal, in effect a simple deal, is as follows: Birds, creatures of the air that look down upon the earth and thus see and hear many secrets, will help the character from now on so long as he or she continues to help birds in any way he or she can.
Bards are particularly well suited to becoming Songbirds, but the simple act of kindness required can be performed by anyone with a good heart and thus near any kind aligned person can enter this Prestige Class.
NPC Songbirds seem to know a lot of stuff that they should not and can travel great distances quite fast. They guard their secret carefully to prevent harm to their feathered friends and it is rare for two songbirds to know each other. Thanks to their huge network of allies songbirds are often the first people to get word of stirring evil and their kind and cheerful nature often ensures that many more creatures apart from birds call them friends.
DMs should offer access to this prestige class as a surprise reward to an unsuspecting PC, if only to show them that small acts of kindness can return great rewards.

Requirements:
AL: Any non evil
Feats: Animal Affinity
Skills: Handle Animal: 4 ranks, Knowledge (Nature): 4 ranks, Listen: 8 ranks, Perform (any art that produces sound or that involves dance): 8 ranks.
Special: The potential candidate must perform act of kindness towards an avian creature without having knowledge of the possible reward the creature has to offer. Once the ‘pact’ has been made, the character must continue to be kind towards avian creatures, otherwise he or she immediately loses all the advantages gained by this PrC and may not continue advancement in it. Whether eating an avian creature consists an unkind deed is entirely up to the DM to decide.

Note: An avian creature is a creature that is a bird or looks like a bird. Thus for the purpose of this prestige class any creature of the animal or magical beast that looks like a bird or that is an augmented, non-undead, non-aberration versions of such a creature is considered an avian creature.

The Songbird HD d6
{table=head]Level|BAB |Fort |Ref |Will |Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|A Little Bird Told Me So, Bardic Music

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|I Have A Friend; Winged Messenger; +1 Existing Spellcasting Class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3|Birds of a feather flock together

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Springs’ dawn chorus; +1 Existing Spellcasting Class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
[/table]

Class Skills: 6+Int mod/ lv,: Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Listen, Move Silently, Perform (all skills taken individually), Sense Motive, Speak Language and Survival.

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Songbirds do not gain any new weapon or armor proficiencies.
Spells per day: At 2nd level and again at 4th, the character gains spells per day, and spells known if applicable, as if she had gained a new level in one of her spellcasting classes she belonged to before she entered this prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefits associated with gaining a level in that class and if she had levels in multiple spellcasting classes before entering this prestige class she must chose to which one the new spellcasting level applies.
A little bird told me (Ex): The first thing birds teach a Songbird is their language. She can now communicate ‘verbally’ (really a series of chirps, whistles, quacks…) with any avian creature that is capable of producing sound at will. Birds will only teach their language only to those they really trust and thus being able to do so is a good sign to a bird that this individual is a friend. For this reason all mundane birds are considered to have a friendly starting attitude towards a Songbird. Other good or neutral aligned avian creatures are also likely to be friendly towards the Songbird, but this is entirely up to the DM. Evil creatures are unlikely to care about acts of kindness performed by the Songbird, but they may be curious enough to refrain attacking on sight and ask how she learnt their language.
Due to her being able to talk their language the Songbird may ask birds (and avian creatures) questions. They will usually be eager to answer, but will not necessarily know the answer. For example a magpie may know where lady Khaal keeps the jewelry in her room and a hawk may know where the bandits’ lair is in the wilderness, but a bird is unlikely to be able to understand politics to serve as a spy, unless it’s awakened.
Barding Music: Bard levels and Songbird levels stack for the number of uses/day and abilities granted from the Bardic Music class ability. If the character didn’t have access to this ability prior to entering this prestige class, she gains no benefit unless later on she gains levels in Bard allowing for the stacking to happen normally
I have a friend (Su): Upon entering the second level a Songbird is able to form a mystical bond with a bird. He or she effectively gains a familiar (see page 52 of the PHB for how to gain a familiar and its abilities) with the following differences. Anyone can gain the familiar from the ‘I have a friend’ class feature and the abilities of the familiar are determined by all of the characters level, not just the arcane spell casting one.
If you already have a familiar, the levels of the Songbird prestige class stack with the class levels that grant you a familiar for the determination of its abilities. You do not gain a second familiar from this ability.
The familiar gained from the ‘I have a friend’ class feature must be a bird. Thus Ravens, Hawks, Owls, Screech Owls, Parrots, Thrushes, Gulls and Hummingbirds are all appropriate familiars as is the Corrolax (MM 2 page 50) if the character selects Improved Familiar as one of his later feats. In addition Songbirds have access to the Nightingale (treat as Thrush in terms of statistics, DMG page 203) which grants +3 to Perform (Oratory) checks.
Winged Messenger (Sp): By humming softly and offering a handful of feed a Songbird can attract a small bird to whisper a message to. Effectively she can cast the spell animal messenger (PHB page 198) for the cost of 1 use of her daily Bardic Music ability with the difference that the animal to serve as a messenger must be a bird. If the character does not have access to the Bardic Music ability, she can use this ability three times per day. The caster level for this ability is equal to your Songbird level along with any Bard levels you may have.
Birds of a feather flock together (Sp): With an urgent tune on her flute or a quickly sang prayer a Songbird can ask his feathered allies for aid. For the use of two uses of her daily Bardic Music ability a Songbird can effectively cast summon swarm (PHB 289) at a caster level equal to her Songbird level plus her Bard levels if any with the following differences. The swarm summoned is always composed of birds (that can be of multiple species, the abilities’ name is somewhat of a misnomer) and must be cast above ground (so using this ability in a room next to an open window will usually work, but using it deep underground will probably not work, unless there are birds or avian creatures in that cave, in which case it works normally). Statistic wise a bird swarm uses the Bat Swarm statistics (page 237 MM), but it doesn’t have blindsight (note, however, that a very few bird species do use echo location). If Tome of Magic is available use the statistics for the variant entry on the Murder of Crows on page 87, or just use the entry as is if it suits the character.
If the character does not have Bardic Music as a class ability, she can use this ability once per day.
Springs’ Dawn Chorus (Su): Spring is the season of rejuvenation, joy and new beginnings. Upon entering the 4th level of this, birds, the heralds of spring, teach the Songbird how to truly praise and appreciate spring. A Songbird with 12 ranks in Perform (any art that produces sound or that involves dance) can now play or sing a tune that refreshes and improves the attitude of creatures around her and momentarily break the woes of winter. When she chooses to do so all creatures in a 60 ft radius around her must make a will save (DC 10+ Songbirds lv+ ½ any Bard levels she may have+ her Charisma modifier) or immediately cease any actions they are doing (including hostilities) and listen for as long as the Songbird continues to perform+ a number of rounds equal to her Charisma modifier. Any creatures that fall under the effect of Springs’ Dawn Chorus are considered to be fascinated, though any hostile actions towards them allow for a second saving throw to shake of the effects. Additionally all the creatures that fail their will save turn cheery, improving their attitude to friendly towards each other for as long as the ability is in effect.
Creatures that have strong ties to nature (i.e. most animals, fey, plants and some magical beasts) are particularly vulnerable to this ability taking -4 on their saving throws as the melody causes them to start to sing and dance. Plant creatures in particular are not immune to its effects as it causes their sap to move in that ‘rejuvenating’ manner. As a secondary benefit any craftsman, performer or worker who hears this melody is so inspired that his efforts yield double the amount of progress or money he would do or earn in that day.
Using the Springs’ Dawn Chorus ability consumes three uses of her daily Bardic Music ability and is considered to be a mind effect. A character that doesn’t have access to Bardic Music cannot use this ability.
I know why the caged bird sings (Su): The cage bird sings because of sorrow for it has lost the freedom of the sky. Upon reaching the fifth and final level of the Songbird prestige class the birds she freed in the past now grant her the freedom of the skies. The songbird effectively gains the ability to wildshape (see page 37 of the PHB on rules regarding wildshape) into a diminutive to small in size bird. Each use costs two uses of her bardic music ability and another two uses for each additional hour she decides to remain wildshaped. Extending the duration in this manner does not require the songbird to revert to her original form.
If the character has no access to the Bardic Music ability they can instead wildshape a total number of times equal to her Charisma modifier (minimum once) per day for one hour per use. They can extend the one hour limit by an extra hour by spending 1 additional use of their wildshape ability and they not have to revert to their original form to do so. If the character already has wildshape this ability does not stack in any way with that class feature and is treated independently for its uses.
While wildshaped a character cannot cast spells unless they have the Natural Spell Feat (page 98 PHB). They can, however, use their Bardic Music abilities so long as they have ranks in Perform (any art that produces sound or that involves dance). (Note: The feat Melodic Casting from Complete Mage page 44 does allow the user to cast spells while wild shaped so long as they use their Bardic Music ability to sing and dance).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:This is done, I think and is hopefully more readable. Please P.E.A.C.H. :smallsmile:. I do have some concerns that the Springs' Dawn Chorus ability may be a tad overpowered.

To do list : more fluff when I have the time!

Thanks for reading,

R.P.

Calmar
2009-09-12, 07:58 AM
This class sounds really cool! :smallsmile:

Here are some suggestions:
Maybe the class should advance the character's casting progression.

"I have a friend" could work like an animal companion, rather than a familiar, using the character's bard level to determine her effective druid level. Being limited to Tiny birds, I don't think there's much room for abuse.

I would remove the vrock from the sample avian creatures and narrow the definition of avian creature to animals and magical beasts, and maybe augmented versions of animals and magical beasts (such as a celestial owl, for example). A bloodthirsty demon just doesn't sound right here. :smallwink:

Do you want to add more levels, or is it limited to 3?

The Songbird could summon avian creatures with the magical tunes of her instrument (flute or transverse flute would be cool here), similar to a summon nature's ally spell. Or also an ability similar to summon swarm, that summons diminutive birds, rather than bats.

Rising Phoenix
2009-09-12, 10:33 AM
This class sounds really cool! :smallsmile:

Here are some suggestions:
Maybe the class should advance the character's casting progression.

"I have a friend" could work like an animal companion, rather than a familiar, using the character's bard level to determine her effective druid level. Being limited to Tiny birds, I don't think there's much room for abuse.

I would remove the vrock from the sample avian creatures and narrow the definition of avian creature to animals and magical beasts, and maybe augmented versions of animals and magical beasts (such as a celestial owl, for example). A bloodthirsty demon just doesn't sound right here. :smallwink:

Do you want to add more levels, or is it limited to 3?

The Songbird could summon avian creatures with the magical tunes of her instrument (flute or transverse flute would be cool here), similar to a summon nature's ally spell. Or also an ability similar to summon swarm, that summons diminutive birds, rather than bats.

Glad you like it, :smallsmile:

Regarding 'I have a friend'. I was torn 50-50 between making it a familiar or animal companion and leaned towards familiar in the end as they make for more intelligent spies then animal companions. I will sleep on it and see what I think in the morning.

Yeah, removing the Vrock from the 'avian creature' list does make sense and I will limit it to animals, magical beasts and their augmented forms (so long as they aren't fiendish or undead).

Yes, I'd like to increase it to five, perhaps 10 levels if it can be pushed. The ability you describe I like and we'll call "Birds of a feather flock together" :smalltongue:. It will probably be the lv 4 ability.

I now also have another idea for an extra ability. Basically it will allow a casting of animal messenger for the use of a single Bardic Music ability. Fits perfectly with the concept.

Thanks for your input!

R.P.

Debihuman
2009-09-12, 01:07 PM
Here's a table you can use. Does the Songbird have any spellcasting abilitiy?
What Hit Die do they use?

The Songbird

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|I Have A Friend

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3|I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Class Ability

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Class Ability[/table]

Debby

Silverscale
2009-09-12, 02:16 PM
I can't wait for this to be fleshed out some more so I can use it for a new character formulating in my head.

Rising Phoenix
2009-09-12, 09:18 PM
Here's a table you can use. Does the Songbird have any spellcasting abilitiy?
What Hit Die do they use?

The Songbird

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|I Have A Friend

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3|I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Class Ability

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Class Ability[/table]

Debby

Thanks for this Debby! It's great! Is there a forum option to do this? Seems a bit too complicated to do manually...

Regarding Spellcasting: Now that it is going to have 5 levels I will give it two levels worth. Once at 2nd and again at 4th.

Hit Die: is listed above my table in the first post, D6.

Silverscale. Feel Free to use it and let me know how it goes. :-)

Of to the drawing board!

R.P.

Edit: I think this complete! Comments on improving it, welcome!

Rising Phoenix
2009-09-13, 07:45 AM
Bump! :smallsmile:

Debihuman
2009-09-13, 04:05 PM
Actually in the first post, there's a thread on homebrewing. It used to be stickied but it was recently changed. I guess they just want fewer items to be stickied. There is a sample chart for all kinds of things including 5 and 10 level prestige classes [with and without spell casting].

Losing spellcasting ability for 3 out of 5 levels is really tough so that offsets some of the more powerful abilities.

I think you need to rethink some of the things in this prestige class. For example, You should have just Perform (Sing) 8 ranks and Perform (Wind Instrument) 8 ranks as prerequisites. Since it already has a special requirement, there is no need to require any other skills.

Also, you needless complicate the special abilities. KISS principle.
Here is my take on this:

Requirements

Alignment: Any non-evil
Feats: Animal Affinity
Skills: Perform (Sing) 8 ranks and Perform (Wind Instrument) 8 ranks
Special: Must have helped an avian creature

A little bird told me (Sp): You can speak with Avian creatures in the same way that a Gnome speaks with Burrowing creatures.

Bardic Music: Your songbird levels stack with your bard levels for determining how many levels of bardic music you have.

I have a friend (Su): At 2nd level, a Songbird forms a mystical bond with a bird. He or she gains a familiar (see page 52 of the PHB for how to gain a familiar and its abilities) with the following differences:

Anyone can gain the familiar from the ‘I have a friend’ class feature and the abilities of the familiar are determined by all of the character's levels, not just the arcane spell casting one.

If you already have a familiar, the levels of the Songbird prestige class stack with the class levels that grant you a familiar for the determination of its abilities. You do not gain a second familiar from this ability.

The familiar gained from the ‘I have a friend’ class feature must be a bird. Thus Ravens, Hawks, Owls, Screech Owls, Parrots, Thrushes, Gulls and Hummingbirds are all appropriate familiars as is the Corrolax (MM 2 page 50).

If the character selects Improved Familiar as one of his later feat, he has access to the Nightingale (treat as Thrush in terms of statistics, DMG page 203) which grants +3 to Perform (Oratory) checks.

Winged Messenger (Sp): By humming softly and offering a handful of feed, Songbird can attract a small bird to whisper a message to. She can cast animal messenger (PHB page 198) three times a day, with the difference that the animal to serve as a messenger must be a bird.

Birds of a feather flock together (Sp): With an urgent tune on her flute or a quickly sung prayer, a Songbird can ask his feathered allies for aid. Once per day, a Songbird can cast summon swarm (PHB 289) at a caster level equal to her Songbird level plus her Bard levels, if any, with the following differences:

The swarm summoned is always comprised of birds and must be cast above ground. Using this ability in a room next to an open window will usually work, but using it deep underground will not, unless there are birds or avian creatures in a cave, in which case it works normally.

Bird swarm uses the Bat Swarm statistics (page 237 MM), but it doesn’t have blindsight (note, however, that a very few bird species do use echo location). If Tome of Magic is available use the statistics for the variant entry on the Murder of Crows on page 87, or just use the entry as is if it suits the character.

Spring's Dawn Chorus (Su): Spring is the season of rejuvenation, joy and new beginnings. Upon entering the 4th level, the Songbird knows how truly praise and appreciate spring. A Songbird with 12 ranks in Perform (Sing) or Perform (Wind Instrument) can now play or sing a tune that refreshes and improves the attitude of creatures around her and momentarily break the woes of winter. This gives all creatures a +4 morale bonus on saving throws, attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks and weapon damage rolls.

I know why the caged bird sings (Su): The cage bird sings because of sorrow for it has lost the freedom of the sky. Upon reaching the fifth and final level of the Songbird prestige class, a Songbird gains the ability to wildshape (see page 37 of the PHB on rules regarding wildshape) into a diminutive to small in size bird. They can wildshape a total number of times equal to her Charisma modifier (minimum once) per day for one hour per use.
While wildshaped characters cannot cast spells unless they have the Natural Spell Feat (page 98 PHB). They can, however, use their Bardic Music abilities.

Debby

Calmar
2009-09-13, 04:26 PM
Springs’ Dawn Chorus (Su): Spring is the season of rejuvenation, joy and new beginnings. Upon entering the 4th level of this, birds, the heralds of spring, teach the Songbird how to truly praise and appreciate spring. A Songbird with 12 ranks in Perform (any art that produces sound or that involves dance) can now play or sing a tune that refreshes and improves the attitude of creatures around her and momentarily break the woes of winter.

Nice fluff! :smallsmile:

When she chooses to do so all creatures in a 60 ft radius around her must make a will save (DC 10+ Songbirds lv+ ½ any Bard levels she may have+ her Charisma modifier) or immediately cease any actions they are doing (including hostilities) and listen for as long as the Songbird continues to perform+ a number of rounds equal to her Charisma modifier. Any creatures that fall under the effect of Springs’ Dawn Chorus are considered to be fascinated, though any hostile actions towards them allow for a second saving throw to shake of the effects.

As far as I see it, this ability is in fact rather under- than overpowered mechanically.
I'm really not sure about this. Fascinate is a 1st-level bard ability. I don't think the songbird needs to duplicate that here. Since the requirements for this PrC and it's abilities are tending pretty much to the bard, I think most songbirds will be at least multiclassed bards, anyway.

Additionally all the creatures that fail their will save turn cheery, improving their attitude to friendly towards each other for as long as the ability is in effect.
Creatures that have strong ties to nature (i.e. most animals, fey, plants and some magical beasts) are particularly vulnerable to this ability taking -4 on their saving throws as the melody causes them to start to sing and dance. Plant creatures in particular are not immune to its effects as it causes their sap to move in that ‘rejuvenating’ manner. As a secondary benefit any craftsman, performer or worker who hears this melody is so inspired that his efforts yield double the amount of progress or money he would do or earn in that day.
Using the Springs’ Dawn Chorus ability consumes three uses of her daily Bardic Music ability and is considered to be a mind effect. A character that doesn’t have access to Bardic Music cannot use this ability.

I don't want to sound rude, but this does not sound very useful to me. It affects friends and foes alike, basically bringing combat to a halt - and if you've bad luck, it affects more allies than foes. Unless you are blessed with a campaign that actually supports quick peaceful sollutions in any situation, this could be more distracting, than entertaining.

I think the ability should be built around the concept of to "play or sing a tune that refreshes and improves the attitude of creatures around her and momentarily break the woes of winter". For example the ability could grant the songbird's allies the benefit of the Endurance feat (or even the Die Hard feat as well) for as long as they hear her tune, grant them protection from the effects of harsh environments (similar to the endure elements spell), or granting a morale bonus on saves, or attacks, or Skills. Maybe a combination of some of these suggestions (just keep in mind that this ability may be accquired as soon as level 9). :smallsmile:
I think, the bard's inspire competence ability serves well enough to motivate folks to work better and more effectively. :smallwink:

Winged Messenger (Sp): By humming softly and offering a handful of feed a Songbird can attract a small bird to whisper a message to. Effectively she can cast the spell animal messenger (PHB page 198) for the cost of 1 use of her daily Bardic Music ability with the difference that the animal to serve as a messenger must be a bird. If the character does not have access to the Bardic Music ability, she can use this ability three times per day. The caster level for this ability is equal to your Songbird level along with any Bard levels you may have.
Sounds nice. :smallsmile:

Some thoughts regarding the A little bird told me ability: If you'd like to have a mechanic supporting the ability, it could work similar to wild empathy (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/druid.html#druid-wild-empathy), but limited to avian creatures and using the songbird's character level plus her Cha modifier. She knows the language of the birds and avian creatures have a starting attitude of friendly.

Regarding 'I have a friend'. I was torn 50-50 between making it a familiar or animal companion and leaned towards familiar in the end as they make for more intelligent spies then animal companions. I will sleep on it and see what I think in the morning.
I think animal companion fits nicely to the songbird, because as I understand it, this PrC gives the bard a nature-oriented bend. The familiar, on the other hand, merely "resembles a small animal" and is a part of the character (hence the penalties bestowed upon you when your familiar dies). Since I have a friend seems to be limited to Tiny birds, I think you could simply add an Int bonus to the animal companion' abilities; the bird friend could simply be an exceptionally smart exemplar.

Silverscale
2009-09-13, 07:06 PM
R.P.

If you were torn 50-50, then why not do just that....take the best parts of familiars and animal companions, combine them together with the restriction that it must be a bird, add some interesting fluff, and Via-la.

Rising Phoenix
2009-09-13, 08:28 PM
Just wanted to say a big thank you for all your help thus far. :smile:

ATM I am away from my computer so I cannot update my work as is.

Changes are as follows:

Reduce skill requirements
Full Casting progression
Rework the "Spring's Dawn Chorus" Bardic Music Ability: How does fast healing equal to the bonus granted by the Bardic Music ability sound?
and create a hybrid Familiar/Animal companion option for the "I have a Friend" option

Cheers and thanks!

R.P.

Roc Ness
2009-09-14, 07:51 AM
What's the statistic for thrush? :smallconfused:

Wouldn't mind getting one if I could!

Rising Phoenix
2009-09-14, 09:27 AM
What's the statistic for thrush? :smallconfused:

Wouldn't mind getting one if I could!

Hello Roc Ness,

Thrush statistics can be found on page 203 of the DMG. Basically it's like a small version of the Raven and speaks one language that you know as a familiar.

As for updating this. Sorry people but I don't have time atm as I have 5 major assignments due in the next week and a half...:smallfurious:

Thanks for all your help,

R.P.

Roc Ness
2009-09-15, 01:20 AM
Thanks!

As for updating this. Sorry people but I don't have atm as I have 5 major assignments due in the next week and a half...:smallfurious:

Don't we all :smallwink:

Calmar
2009-09-28, 09:32 AM
As for updating this. Sorry people but I don't have time atm as I have 5 major assignments due in the next week and a half...:smallfurious:

Two weeks have pass'd. Now hurry and finish thy creation, ere yet another cometh to end. :smallbiggrin: