PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e stats for the Dunkleoustus?

Volkov
2009-09-12, 06:54 AM
Can someone stat out the Dunkleoustus for me? I would wish to use it in my 3.5e campaign. Mainly because I want to use paleozoic animals in it.

Volkov
2009-09-12, 07:23 AM
Hellooooooo?

Chrono22
2009-09-12, 07:26 AM
Stat it as a huge piranha. Give it more HD, improved grab and swallow whole.

QUIPPER
Fine Animal

Hit Dice: 1/2d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft (6 squares)
AC: 20 (+8 size, +2 Dex), touch 20, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-18
Attack: Bite +10 melee (1d2-2)
Full Attack: Bite +10 melee (1d2-2)
Face/Reach: ½ ft/0 ft
Special Attacks: Frenzy
Special Qualities: Keen scent, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +1
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate and cold aquatic
Organization: Shoal (5-50) or school (50-100)
Challenge Rating: 1/4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: --

The quipper is a rare form of cold-water piranha. They are dark green in color and are found in freshwater lakes and stream.

COMBAT
Quippers attack by swarming an opponent and biting with their razorsharp teeth. Once blood is drawn, the entire pack goes into a frenzy attacking twice each round.

Frenzy (Ex): If a quipper detects blood in the water, it and all quippers within a 90-foot radius will go into a frenzy as if affected by a haste spell. The frenzied quippers receive an extra partial action per round for 10 rounds, but do not gain the +4 bonus to AC.

Keen Scent (Ex): A quipper can notice creatures by scent in a 90- foot radius and detect blood in the water at ranges of up to 500 feet.

Skills: Quippers receive a +3 racial bonus to listen and spot checks.

The Quipper first appeared in the 1e FF (1981).
source (http://www.enworld.org/forum/homebrews/98948-3-5-animal-beast-conversions.html)

AslanCross
2009-09-12, 07:34 AM
Can someone stat out the Dunkleoustus for me? I would wish to use it in my 3.5e campaign. Mainly because I want to use paleozoic animals in it.

I'd use the Megalodon from MM2. It's pretty much the biggest statted fish I could find.

Volkov
2009-09-12, 08:32 AM
I'd use the Megalodon from MM2. It's pretty much the biggest statted fish I could find.

Dunkleostus is not only a good deal smaller than a megalodon, it isn't even in the same taxonomic order. The presence of so much bony armor, and a jaw that opens and closes so fast that it creates an extremely powerful vacuum action that sucks in it's lunch makes it a very different animal.

Not to mention, Megalodon's jaw would be like a bear trap with more teeth than normal, meant to cause lacerations and bleeding.

Dunkleoustus's jaws were more like Two Guillotines closing on each other at mach 5 with the most inconceivably large and powerful Vacuum cleaner behind them that's filled with acid and crushing hydraulics. If the poor fishy doesn't go right into the stomach, he gets sliced in half.

Kris Strife
2009-09-12, 09:31 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkleosteus

I think it needs to have at least light fortification for starters.

AslanCross
2009-09-13, 06:23 AM
Dunkleostus is not only a good deal smaller than a megalodon, it isn't even in the same taxonomic order. The presence of so much bony armor, and a jaw that opens and closes so fast that it creates an extremely powerful vacuum action that sucks in it's lunch makes it a very different animal.

Not to mention, Megalodon's jaw would be like a bear trap with more teeth than normal, meant to cause lacerations and bleeding.

Dunkleoustus's jaws were more like Two Guillotines closing on each other at mach 5 with the most inconceivably large and powerful Vacuum cleaner behind them that's filled with acid and crushing hydraulics. If the poor fishy doesn't go right into the stomach, he gets sliced in half.

My bad, I thought it was a lot bigger. But yeah, with monsters that I usually don't have stats for, I usually just file off the serial numbers and make it some other monster.

Bhu
2009-09-13, 06:45 AM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19547154/Dinosaur_Menagerie

I think we have stats in this thread over on wizards. Im asking now actually...

Bhu
2009-09-14, 05:04 AM
http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=1261