PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Magic Elementals (5th Element)

Jair Barik
2009-09-12, 08:28 AM
I'm creating a homebrew world in which there is a 5th element of creation, namely magic. Though I have no intention of using these creatures immediatley I would quite like to have a homebrewed Magic Elemental available that ties in to the statistics of the other elementals both CR and style wise. Was thinking perhaps something like this...

Magic Elemental, Small
Small Elemental (Chaotic, Extraplanar)
HD 2d8(9 HP)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init: +2
AC 17; touch 13; flat-footed 15
(+1 Size, +2 Dex, +4 Armour)
BAB +1; Grp -3
Attack +4 melee (1d4)
Full-Attack +4 melee (1d4)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Spell like abilities, Magic mastery
Special QualitiesDarkvision 60ft, elemental traits, SR 15
Saves Fort +0 Ref +0 Will +3
Abilities Str 10, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills Listen+2, Spot+3
Feats Spell Penetration, Weapon finesse
EnvironmentThe Elemental Plane
OrganizationSolitary
Challenge Rating 1
Treasure None
Alignment Usually Chaotic neutral
Advancement by HD

Spell like abilities
Prestidigation at will
magic missile 3/day

Magic mastery
Magic elementals gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls against spell casters or creatures with spell like abilities. In addition to this they have a natural force barrier that encases their body giving them a permanent bonus to their AC.

Anyway Challenge ratings aren't my strong point and I'd have to make the other sizes as well but what do you think of this as an idea? Comments and criticism welcome

Jair Barik
2009-09-14, 01:45 AM
Am going to try bumping this to see if anyone will actually reply

peacenlove
2009-09-14, 03:19 AM
Seems okay to me (but i am terrible at balance :smalltongue:) Te high SR might be a problem but it can stay. Why chaotic neutral though? Most elementals are neutral especially those with low int scores.

Jair Barik
2009-09-14, 07:12 AM
I felt it needed to have something to give it a subtype (like the elemental subtypes) and as I felt this would be magic in its rawest form Chaotic seemed to be a good idea

Zeta Kai
2009-09-14, 07:54 AM
So, what does a magic elemental look like? What is it made of? Ectoplasm? Ether? Astral fibers? Ephemera? Primordial flux?

Jair Barik
2009-09-14, 08:29 AM
Its a fairly high psionic game world so I'm torn between them being composed of ectoplasm or being composed of a shifting mass of colour (raw magical ether). The latter could make them sound silly the prior risks them being confused with astral constructs andpsionic creatures

Kuma Kode
2009-09-14, 08:37 AM
AC 17; touch 13; flat-footed 15
(+1 Size, +2 Dex, +4 Armour)

Attack +4 melee (1d4)
Full-Attack +4 melee (1d4)

Other than it's creator forgetting it's small, it actually seems to be pretty okay :smalltongue:. It lacks some of the special abilities, like Whirlwind and Burn, that the other elementals have, so giving it magic missile a few times a day isn't very overpowered, especially if it's at caster level 2 and therefore only one missile.

So, what does a magic elemental look like? What is it made of? Ectoplasm? Ether? Astral fibers? Ephemera? Primordial flux?

Considering it has a built-in Mage Armor and Magic Missile, I'm guessing it's made of force. In fact, you may want to mention that its slam attacks are effective against incorporeal creatures as if they were Ghost Touch or force effects.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-14, 08:38 AM
For some reason, I'm feeling more like this is a Force Elemental than just a Magic Elemental, but I know you're trying to make it the latter since you've already decided for certain on your five elements. Both their spell-like abilities are also arcane rather than divine. Not complaints, really; just random thoughts.

I personally like the idea of this being a shifting mass of color, but I do understand your worry of it being silly. Might I propose that you have the elemental shifting and unstable, but primarily stay/shift towards one particular color? A semi-transparent blob of shifting, swirling shades of blue does sound at least less silly than a totally rainbow one. Maybe it'd help if you gave them a more defined shape? It might even be that it imitates shapes around it (no statistical effect; just changes whether it's in the vague shape of a table, a dragon, or a halfling).

Kuma Kode
2009-09-14, 08:42 AM
I actually like the idea of it being clear like force, seen primarily because it warps light passing through it like poorly-made glass. This keeps it color (and therefore energy and school) neutral and goes with its abilities.

Dante & Vergil
2009-09-14, 02:16 PM
I like it, but if you plan on making bigger ones, include biggers spell-like abilities. (You know, just in case.:smallwink:)

J.Gellert
2009-09-14, 03:19 PM
Here's an idea on looks if you want "inspiration"...

http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/heroes3ab/abpx/magicelemental.gif

Magic Elementals
Special: Immune to all magic

:smallbiggrin:

Kuma Kode
2009-09-14, 03:39 PM
Except for Dispel Magic, which functions like Finger of Death against them. :smallamused:

Dragon Elite
2009-09-14, 06:28 PM
Seems good for CR 1, and I like it having a clear shell, and shade of (Insert color) on the inside.

Jair Barik
2009-09-15, 07:40 AM
I had considered some things such as antimagic zone causing death and dispel magic causing damage. Also I did realise they were force based as I consider force to be an expression of magic.

At higher levels I was going to increase Caster level, add more spells and increase the SR (the highest strength gaining spell immunity).

Thx for the size modifier had forgotten all about it

Jair Barik
2009-09-15, 01:19 PM
Some setting notes with regard to the elemental plane

The Chaos Plane of the Elements
There is a place of chaotic uncertainty from which elementals are born. It is split into a number of sections and those that seek to summon forth elementals into the world have to be careful they chose the right section. In total there are nine known areas of the plane, one area for each base element, four areas where a pair of the elements collide, and the ninth area where all four elements clash together. Bar at the centre of the plane fire and water never meet, nor do earth and air. Due to the constantly shifting chaos of the plane these borders grow and shrink every second, the plane never staying quite the same size at any one time. It is a simple case to summon an elemental composed purely of one base element but once people try summoning elementals composed of multiple energies there is an increasing risk of summoning something unstable and unwanted.

and the creatures themselves

Elementals
Native to The Chaos Plane of the Elements it is believed that Elementals were the tool of the Old Ones and that each living race was forged from a combination of the four basic elementals. Depending upon the exact number and type it is said the God’s could form anything and that certain traits such as the fiery breath of a red dragon can be put down to them being made of one element more than any other. This has lead to speculation amongst philosophers as to whether there is a point upon The Chaos Plane of the Elements where a fifth element can be found, namely magic. Many dismiss this concept saying that magic was created from the four elements or from divine energy, others are less sceptical. Elementals vary in their intelligence but if found upon the material plane they are generally savage and violent due to the separation from their native home. Many find this quality makes them useful as guardians if correctly bound. Wild elementals that wander the world are generally believed to be either creatures that have escaped some magical imprisonment upon the material plane, or creatures that have inadvertently broken through the barriers of the planes due to the after effects of the scourging.