2009-09-12, 11:26 AM
Here's a little idea I came up with while watching "Dragon Ball Z: Abridged."

"Vegeta, what does the Scouter say about his power level?"

Eldritch Fist

HD: d8

Entry Requirements:
Class Abilities: Improved Unarmed Strike, Evasion, Eldritch Blast 2d6
Skills: Jump 8 Ranks

Class Skills (4+Int modifier per level): Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Listen, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device

Monk Abilities: The Eldritch Fist stacks with Monk levels to determine fast movement and Unarmed Strike Damage.

Eldritch Ki Strike: The Eldritch Fist has mastered techniques to mix both unarmed fighting and his Eldritch Blast. Any time he makes an unarmed strike, he adds his Eldritch Blast damage to the attack.

Unnatural Leap: At second level, the Eldritch Fist has training to drastically improve his agility, using the same power that fuels his Eldritch Blast. Any time he jumps, divide the DC by his class level.

Improved Eldritch Ki: When using his Eldritch Ki Strike, the Eldritch Fist's Unarmed Damage counts as energy damage, in the same fashion as his Eldritch Blast.

Gathering Energy: A number of times per day equal to his class level, the Eldritch Fist may use a full-round action to gather energy. He may release this energy in his next turn, either through an Eldritch Blast or an Unarmed Strike. Whichever attack is used does usual damage times the number of rounds spent gathering plus one, and the target must make a Fortitude save equal to damage taken of be stunned for a round.

Heedless of Gravity: The Eldritch Fist may affect himself with Feather Fall at will.

Eldritch Counter: Any time an Eldritch Fist successfully avoids taking any damage with his Evasion ability, he may target his attacker with an Eldritch Blast. This counts as an attack of opportunity, though it may only be done once per round.

Running on Clouds: The Eldritch Fist is now a master of leaping. He adds a +10 competence bonus to all Jump checks, and may change direction in mid-air as a creature with Perfect maneuverability.

Ultimate Eldritch Ki: The Eldritch Fist's strikes become truly formidable. When using his Eldritch Ki ability, 50% of the damage done becomes Force damage.

Eldritch Fist
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Eldritch Ki

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Unnatural Leap

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Eldritch Blast +1d6

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Improved Evasion

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Improved Eldritch Ki, Gathering Energy

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+5|Eldritch Blast +2d6

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+5|Heedless of Gravity

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+6|Eldritch Counter

9th|
+9|
+3|
+3|
+6|Eldritch Blast +3d6

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+7|Walking on Clouds, Ultimate Eldritch Ki[/table]

What do you think?

EDIT: Changed "Gathering Energy."

Admiral Squish
2009-09-12, 11:51 AM
A valid plan. But all the jumping bonuses are kinda negated by fell flight, which you get for only two more warlock levels.

You need to mention monk's unarmored AC bonus with the monk abilities.

Perhaps gather energy should be slightly different, instead making it do an extra multiple for each roung spent charging. (I.E, X2 for one round of charging, X3 for two, so on and so forth.

50% force damage is kinda not all that useful.

Perhaps you should add an ability that allows you to add unarmed strike damage to eldritch blasts, maybe by firing it while punching or something.

Godskook
2009-09-12, 12:02 PM
Eldritch Ki Strike: The Eldritch Fist has mastered techniques to mix both unarmed fighting and his Eldritch Blast. Any time he makes an unarmed strike, he adds his Eldritch Blast damage to the attack.

Gathering Energy: A number of times per day equal to his class level, the Eldritch Fist may use a full-round action to gather energy. He may release this energy in his next turn, either through an Eldritch Blast or an Unarmed Strike. Whichever attack is used does triple the usual damage and the target must make a Fortitude save equal to damage taken of be stunned for a round.

Between these two, the saving throw would be around:

(5d6 + 10*)x3 ~= 75

At 15th character level. There's no point to that check. You might as well say "roll a d20", you fail the save on anything but a natural 20. If you want a more reasonable saving throw, use the effective spell level of the eldritch blast.

*I'm lowballing the monk unarmed damage.

Mongoose87
2009-09-12, 12:27 PM
A valid plan. But all the jumping bonuses are kinda negated by fell flight, which you get for only two more warlock levels.

You need to mention monk's unarmored AC bonus with the monk abilities.

Perhaps gather energy should be slightly different, instead making it do an extra multiple for each roung spent charging. (I.E, X2 for one round of charging, X3 for two, so on and so forth.

50% force damage is kinda not all that useful.

Perhaps you should add an ability that allows you to add unarmed strike damage to eldritch blasts, maybe by firing it while punching or something.
Ah, yes, I wish I'd noticed that. I'd been trying to imitate the "hovering" ability of DBZ characters, without outright giving him flight. Should I just give flight?

The Monk's AC Bonus doesn't stack.

I think I will do that with the gather energy, as is it's a bit more powerful than I'd realized.

The purpose of the force damage is to be able to overcome both spell resistance and DR.

Admiral Squish
2009-09-12, 01:22 PM
I think they qualify for flight. I mean, the characters were pretty much just straight-up flying, not just jumping, after a while. I'd just let them be smart and pick up those two levels of warlock on their own, but replace the jumping this with something else.

I mean, do these levels stack for the monk's AC bonus? They get another +1 every five levels.

Eldritch blast is untyped magic damage. It already overcomes DR and energy resistance, unless you use a blast essence to make it fire damage or cold damage. Making it force damage wouldn't overcome SR, either. Maybe making the unarmed strike deal it's damage as force damage would work.

Eloel
2009-09-12, 05:16 PM
Making it force damage would improve the average damage on incorporeal or ethereal enemies and objects. (75% instead of 50%) I don't know if that was the aim, but it's still not worthless.