PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Languages and Naming

Scarlet Tropix
2009-09-12, 02:56 PM
So I'm trying to name a few Cosmic Doomsday characters (LeShay with a metric truckload of class levels.)

They mainly all go by titles, but I want to have their actual names available, and ideally these would all be very long and hard to pronounce with lots of apostrophes and such. I've knitted a few together by pushing letters around, but that's taking a while. Can any one give me examples of languages which are amazingly ancient and difficult to pronounce which might inspire me? Or even better, name ideas?

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-12, 04:30 PM
Well, as I've probably mentioned several times on these boards, my favorite language to take weird names from is Gaelic when it comes to the elf/dwarf/gnome/etc. fey-ish races, and since leShay are essentially super-elves....

Plus, it already has a weird pronunciation. Running a descriptive title like "most terrible bringer of doom and night" through a translator (and choosing the longest results) gives you roughly "an mhórchuid uafásach tabhair leat gen míchinniúint agus tráthnóna" (hard enough for you?), which is roughly pronounced "an workhij uafasakh tawar lat gen mikhinint agus trathnona," where kh is the guttural ch in loch. Smoosh those all together and throw in some apostrophes, and you're set; this dictionary (http://www.irishdictionary.ie/home) and this pronunciation guide (http://www.standingstones.com/gaelpron.html) are fairly comprehensive.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-12, 04:31 PM
So I'm trying to name a few Cosmic Doomsday characters (LeShay with a metric truckload of class levels.)

They mainly all go by titles, but I want to have their actual names available, and ideally these would all be very long and hard to pronounce with lots of apostrophes and such. I've knitted a few together by pushing letters around, but that's taking a while. Can any one give me examples of languages which are amazingly ancient and difficult to pronounce which might inspire me? Or even better, name ideas?

Two initials and one last name: H.P. Lovecraft

Elfin
2009-09-12, 04:41 PM
Gaelic, Norse and Welsh are all good ones. Otherwise, you can never go wrong with Sindarin and Quenya.

Scarlet Tropix
2009-09-12, 04:43 PM
I was thinking something Gaelic/Celtic. The dictionary is very helpful, thank you for that. Those other languages seem like safe bets as well, considering there's nothing that says they all have to use the same language for their names.

And I love Lovecraft, by the by.