PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How is the Canger Mage broken?

Myou
2009-09-12, 05:16 PM
Hmm? :smallsmile:

Gnorman
2009-09-12, 05:21 PM
Festering Anger.

Jalor
2009-09-12, 05:24 PM
It's easy to fix, though. Just Rule 0 Festering Anger out of the universe.

sofawall
2009-09-12, 05:26 PM
To expand, Festering Anger means you get infinite Str, with no drawbacks.

Myou
2009-09-12, 05:28 PM
To expand, Festering Anger means you get infinite Str, with no drawbacks.

I've not heard of it. It's a disease?

Douglas
2009-09-12, 05:31 PM
Also, Vile Rigidity. Both it and Festering Anger are diseases in the same book as the Cancer Mage.

Keld Denar
2009-09-12, 05:32 PM
Yea, disease that increases your Str, while dropping a couple of your other mental stats. Since you don't lose the mental stats, you just get the bonus Str.

Real fun is if you are an Aeshkrau Illumian (Races of Destiny), your bonus spells are based on your Str score, which essentially gives you infinite spells per day.

Myou
2009-09-12, 05:37 PM
Yea, disease that increases your Str, while dropping a couple of your other mental stats. Since you don't lose the mental stats, you just get the bonus Str.

Real fun is if you are an Aeshkrau Illumian (Races of Destiny), your bonus spells are based on your Str score, which essentially gives you infinite spells per day.

Now that's just silly. Str to fuel casting? And they don't even try to justify it in the book either. :smallyuk:

Kris Strife
2009-09-12, 05:39 PM
Now that's just silly. Str to fuel casting? And they don't even try to justify it in the book either. :smallyuk:

Do I need to link to Superboy punching reality so hard an old Lois Lane dies?

Shinizak
2009-09-12, 05:44 PM
Canger mage? What book is that from?

Gnorman
2009-09-12, 05:45 PM

Yes. Yes, you do.

Myou
2009-09-12, 05:49 PM

Sure, why not. Not that it's any justification, but that should be funny.

Book of Vile Darkness. :smallyuk:

Keld Denar
2009-09-12, 05:51 PM
Its only spells/day. DCs are still based on whatever the base casting stat is. So, while you'd get infinite spell slots, your action economy would be stunted unless you had an arbitrarily lengthy amount of time.

Don't knock Aeshkrau! Seriously, outside of Cancer Mage shananigens, its really pretty balanced. Great for Illumian gishes, which makes sense, considering that Illumian's fluff is that they love multiclassing as a racial trait anyway, and most gishes are pretty mutted out in terms of class levels.

As far as fluff, its not hard to imaging. Its just drawing a line between physical reserves of power and magical reserves of power. The zen of working out. Its not like you are flexing someone to death...

Myou
2009-09-12, 05:54 PM
Its only spells/day. DCs are still based on whatever the base casting stat is. So, while you'd get infinite spell slots, your action economy would be stunted unless you had an arbitrarily lengthy amount of time.

Don't knock Aeshkrau! Seriously, outside of Cancer Mage shananigens, its really pretty balanced. Great for Illumian gishes, which makes sense, considering that Illumian's fluff is that they love multiclassing as a racial trait anyway, and most gishes are pretty mutted out in terms of class levels.

As far as fluff, its not hard to imaging. Its just drawing a line between physical reserves of power and magical reserves of power. The zen of working out. Its not like you are flexing someone to death...

Yes, but it just seems silly. :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2009-09-12, 05:56 PM
And waggling your fingers so hard a fireball pops out isn't?

Silly is a relative term...

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-12, 05:58 PM

Lt. Armstrong from FMA?

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-12, 05:58 PM
Its not like you are flexing someone to death...

Awwwww...:smalltongue:

I ever realised Cancer Mage was so broken. Cool.

Doc Roc
2009-09-12, 06:00 PM
Banned in ToS for a good darn reason.

Myou
2009-09-12, 06:06 PM
Banned in ToS for a good darn reason.

What do you think made me ask? :smallbiggrin:

Shinizak
2009-09-12, 06:06 PM
Book of Vile Darkness. :smallyuk:

LIES AND SLANDER! I see the CANCER mage (which I now presume you're talking about) and have no reason to call it broken.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-12, 06:14 PM
Have you read the rest of the thread?

If this isn't broken, I don't know what is.

Myou
2009-09-12, 06:19 PM
LIES AND SLANDER! I see the CANCER mage (which I now presume you're talking about) and have no reason to call it broken.

I didn't even notice the typo until you said that.

Doc Roc
Have you read the rest of the thread?

If this isn't broken, I don't know what is.

Well, it only applies to casters, and it doesn't progress casting for the one level you need to take, so if it was really broken, it'd give you a familiar or let you specialize, right?

:smallwink:

Jalor

It suffers no ill effects from diseases, but gets the beneficial ones. Festering Anger gives +2 Str/day, Vile Rigidity gives +1 natural armor a day. The worst part is that you don't even need to do anything besides hate someone passionately to contract Festering Anger.

Ranger 1/Survivalist Variant Fighter 2/Cancer Mage X can have infinite Str and NA at 4th level. And it's not even a real mage.

I still love the class, as long as it's houseruled to suffer no effects from diseases, harmful or beneficial.

Signmaker
2009-09-12, 06:26 PM
The worst part is that you don't even need to do anything besides hate someone passionately to contract Festering Anger.

DAMN YOU FRIEZAAAAAAAAAA!!!! :smallfurious:

Douglas
2009-09-12, 06:46 PM
DAMN YOU FRIEZAAAAAAAAAA!!!! :smallfurious:
Wait, Vegeta's a Cancer Mage? This explains so much.

I guess he just didn't wait long enough for the strength bonus to pile up before the big confrontation.

Still doesn't explain Goku, though, that kind of anger is just foreign to him.

Keld Denar
2009-09-12, 06:52 PM
so if it was really broken, it'd give you a familiar or let you specialize, right?

I see what you did there....

If it was REALLY broken, it would let you wield a uranium greatsword, even if you're an elven cancer mage.

sofawall
2009-09-12, 07:00 PM
Hmm... You guys took all the obvious memes...

We put cancer in yo' mage so you can... Naw, I don't see it.

Signmaker
2009-09-12, 07:06 PM
Hmm... You guys took all the obvious memes...

We put cancer in yo' mage so you can... Naw, I don't see it.

Yo dawg, I heard you like atomic supermen, so I put some cancer in yo' caster so you can rage while you mage.

Kelpstrand
2009-09-12, 07:10 PM
Yo dawg. I heard you like diseases, so we put a Disease in your Disease, so you can Smash while you Cast.

Roderick_BR
2009-09-12, 07:38 PM
It suffers no ill effects from diseases, but gets the beneficial ones. Festering Anger gives +2 Str/day, Vile Rigidity gives +1 natural armor a day. The worst part is that you don't even need to do anything besides hate someone passionately to contract Festering Anger.

Ranger 1/Survivalist Variant Fighter 2/Cancer Mage X can have infinite Str and NA at 4th level. And it's not even a real mage.

I still love the class, as long as it's houseruled to suffer no effects from diseases, harmful or beneficial.
The angrier Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets!

Starbuck_II
2009-09-12, 07:42 PM
Wait, Vegeta's a Cancer Mage? This explains so much.

I guess he just didn't wait long enough for the strength bonus to pile up before the big confrontation.

Still doesn't explain Goku, though, that kind of anger is just foreign to him.

What? Have you seen him get Angry as a kid?

Optimystik
2009-09-12, 07:42 PM
Munchkins - the cancer that is killing /d/
CANCER MOTHER****ER DID YOU BREAK IT??
THIS. IS. CANCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!
How do I broke BoVD? ┐o__O┌

...that's all I've got.

sofawall
2009-09-12, 07:59 PM
Oh, I was thinking Char Op memes, not internet memes.

Optimystik
2009-09-12, 08:16 PM
Oh, I was thinking Char Op memes, not internet memes.

Uh, where do you think "yo dawg, I heard you like X, so we put an X in your X so you can Y while you Y" came from? Char Op?

Hint:
http://bum.net/pics/xzibit.jpg

Starbuck_II
2009-09-12, 08:20 PM
Are Vile Rigidity and Festering Anger the only diseases that are beneficial?

Xallace
2009-09-12, 08:22 PM
Are Vile Rigidity and Festering Anger the only diseases that are beneficial?

I think there's also some kind of "chaos warp" disease that can also be beneficial.

EDIT: Warp Touch, that's the one.

Keld Denar
2009-09-12, 08:32 PM
I think there are a couple beneficial diseases in BoEF as well, I'll check later. That book is awesomesause!

sofawall
2009-09-12, 08:32 PM
Uh, where do you think "yo dawg, I heard you like X, so we put an X in your X so you can Y while you Y" came from? Char Op?

Hint:
http://bum.net/pics/xzibit.jpg

No, but I was running out of ideas. I chose one that I first heard on Char Op.

Set
2009-09-12, 11:29 PM

It's like the Conga Mage, but less flambouyant.

And yeah, have anyone immune to the detrimental effects of disease *also* be immune to beneficial side-effects, *or* put a cap on how much Str or NA you can get from Festering Armor / etc. I'd go with the cap. Infinite loops are bad mojo, no matter who can or can't use them. Just tear up the problem at it's root.

Ravens_cry
2009-09-13, 12:01 AM
Lt. Armstrong from FMA?
Yeah, that was my first thought too.:smallamused:
This spell casting technique has been passed down the Armstrong line for generations!
Personally, the whole idea of diseases, having beneficial effects, at all is just plain weird in and of itself, though I think I can think of a few, very few, real world examples.

Xenogears
2009-09-13, 12:33 AM
The diseases benefits make sense though. I mean vile rigidity gives you NA because your body is slowly hardening into a solid immovable mass.

Warp Touch could be bad too but a little harder to break... The only truly broken thing I think you can do with it is get infinite speed since it just says "your speed increases by 10ft."

Keld Denar
2009-09-13, 12:45 AM
So, checked throught BoEF, and there aren't any beneficial diseases in there, unless you count the one that allows you to paralyze people during copulation. While interesting, its...not...terribly...useful.

SydneyLosstarot
2009-09-13, 04:25 AM
So, checked throught BoEF, and there aren't any beneficial diseases in there, unless you count the one that allows you to paralyze people during copulation. While interesting, its...not...terribly...useful.

beware of the power of Paralyzing Rape!
Lichdom never looked so inviting)

Kris Strife
2009-09-13, 07:13 AM
Sure, why not. Not that it's any justification, but that should be funny.

Yes. Yes, you do.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Superboy%20punching%20reality/Superman-Prime_Respect/Realityalterpunch2.jpg

sorry, can't figure out how to post the image proper for some reason.

Myou
2009-09-13, 08:37 AM
http://media.photobucket.com/image/Superboy%20punching%20reality/Superman-Prime_Respect/Realityalterpunch2.jpg

sorry, can't figure out how to post the image proper for some reason.

Wow, that was.... Odd. :smallconfused: