PDA

View Full Version : Polymorphing into the tarrasque?

rezplz
2009-09-12, 07:07 PM
Without being epic level, is there any way, by RAW, to polymorph (or some other similar spell) into the tarrasque? No infinite combos/loops ;P All books are allowed.

Keld Denar
2009-09-12, 07:24 PM
Reserves of Strength + CL increasing shanananananananananananananananigans + Polymorph?

Sure, you get stunned for a couple rounds, but then you're the FREAKIN TARRASQUE!

Make sure you cast Fly beforehand!

Reserves of Strength is possibly one of the most overpowered rediclously thought out feats ever printed. Its in one of the Dragonlance books. It does a couple things, but one thing it does do is remove caps from capped spells. Normally its supposed to allow you to cast 20d6 fireballs, but yea, it breaks with a number of other spells.

As far as CL shananigans, you could use Earth Spell + Heighten and maybe some kind of Runestaff of Greater Consumptive Field, or hell, even regular Consumptive Field + Reserves of Strength to get an arbitrary CL. That would give you a sizable enough CL increase to hit Mr T's HD.

rezplz
2009-09-12, 07:27 PM
What book is reserves of strength from? :)

Volkov
2009-09-12, 07:31 PM
Once you are the tarrasque, rampage throughout a town and have the rest of your party call you godzill...sees lawyers I mean Tarrasqezilla.

Keld Denar
2009-09-12, 07:35 PM
A quick google search reveals that its from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, page 86. Opening the book in question reveals it to be on the lower right hand side of the page.

Signmaker
2009-09-12, 07:39 PM
I do believe there are ways to transfer your mind in to the tarrasques, though I can't name any myself. Consult the psions.

Keld Denar
2009-09-12, 07:45 PM
Ah, True Mind Switch. 9th level Telepath powah. I like my way better...

rezplz
2009-09-12, 07:58 PM
Not sure what earth spell and consumptive field do, or where I'd find them, but I thought that heighten spell just increased the level of the spell itself - for save DCs and such -, not your caster level?

Keld Denar
2009-09-12, 08:11 PM
Earth Spell is in Races of Stone, and turns Heighten Spell into Heighten Spell+++. Instead of just increasing the DC, it also increases the CL AND augements the Heighten by an extra point. Only drawback is that you have to be touching the ground when you cast. Its the backbone of the Killer Gnome brand Shadowcraft Mage build.

So, a Fireball with Earth Spell Heightened to 6th level would have a save DC of a 7th level spell, and be cast at +3 CL.

(Greater) Consumptive Field is in Complete Divine, and SpC, IIRC. They are essentially Death Knell as an emanation. Increases your CL every time you kill something, up to a certain capped amount (which is removed with Reserves of Strength).

Lycanthromancer
2009-09-12, 10:19 PM
Unless you're Gargantuan sized, you can't use polymorph to turn into the tarrasque. Note that both it and alter self are capped at one size category larger/smaller than you are (and size changes don't stack).

Depending on how creative you are, you might be able to use a shadowcraft mage and silent image to make yourself LOOK like a full-grown tarrasque...and since your illusion spells become real...

There's also mind switch and true mind switch, for psionic powers, also see magic jar.

woodenbandman
2009-09-12, 10:27 PM
With enough bloodline shenanigans, I created a build somewhere that Wildshapes into the Tarrasque. It was like Precocious Apprentice Wizard1/Druid4/MoMF/Nature's Warrior/Lion of Talisid/Daggerspell Shaper/Wildshape Ranger/Arcane Hierophant and then 3 levels of bloodline, so each wildshape class you dip grants you +4 effective levels of Wildshape. Master of Many Forms of course lets you have Magical Beast Wildshape. Enough classes dipped, and you can wildshape into the Tarrasque.

rezplz
2009-09-12, 10:33 PM
Lycan: Just double-checked polymorph, and I didn't see it say anywhere that there was a size restriction on what you polymorph into. While a restriction like that might make it more balanced, by the rules there is none.

Wooden: What's the earliest level you could do that at? 14?

Zeta Kai
2009-09-12, 10:42 PM
A quick google search reveals that its from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, page 86. Opening the book in question reveals it to be on the lower right hand side of the page.

I'm sorry, but that isn't specific enough for me. Could be more clear about exactly where it is? :smalltongue:

Siosilvar
2009-09-12, 10:46 PM
Lycan: Just double-checked polymorph, and I didn't see it say anywhere that there was a size restriction on what you polymorph into. While a restriction like that might make it more balanced, by the rules there is none.

It says it works "like Alter Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm)", and Alter Self has the +1/-1 size restriction, and Polymorph doesn't explicitly contradict that, just says you can't go below Fine size.

Hmm... even with that, it's probably still broken.

Lycanthromancer
2009-09-12, 10:47 PM

Alter self states...

<snip> Thee new form must be within one size category of your normal size. <snip>

Polymorph states...

<snip> This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature. <snip>

...and never says anything about lifting the size category restriction. (All it says is that you can't go smaller than Fine, which still says nothing about alter self's other size restrictions.)

Ergo, no. You can't.

You could using metamorphosis, assuming that reserves of strength works on it, however...

It's one of the (VERY few) ways psionics is actually more broken than magic.

[edit] ACK! Ninja'd!

rezplz
2009-09-12, 10:49 PM
Ah, go figure, my bad.

How else would you recommend turning into the tarrasque, then? ;P

oxinabox
2009-09-12, 10:58 PM
i've ben told that shapechange can do it.
This was in a discuion abotu a rout build.
at lvl 14 he could do bacially just 3 things:
Shapechange in to a tarrasque
Gate in a Solar.
shake tarrasque sized PomPoms.
it was a nice build.
oh yeah he could also turn undead, which happened to be the only vunerablitiy of the next two most routed things

once you gate in a Solar nothing else matters since it hell comes to metal, solar has to cast mirical and then autowin

Jack_Simth
2009-09-12, 10:59 PM
Ah, True Mind Switch. 9th level Telepath powah. I like my way better...
Yeah, but that requires the 40 HD creature fail a save. While possible, it's unlikely. Especially as you need to get through it's spell resistance (under transparency), and it's +20 Will save, but statistically you'll get that in 2-4 attempts... oh, wait, what's the XP cost on True Mind Switch, again?

But yeah, that'll do.

Lycanthromancer
2009-09-12, 11:03 PM
Yeah, but that requires the 40 HD creature fail a save. While possible, it's unlikely. Especially as you need to get through it's spell resistance (under transparency), and it's +20 Will save, but statistically you'll get that in 2-4 attempts... oh, wait, what's the XP cost on True Mind Switch, again?

But yeah, that'll do.

Just 2 words:

Psionic. Dominate.

And remember children...Unconscious creatures are automatically considered willing! :smallbiggrin:

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-12, 11:08 PM
Unless you're Gargantuan sized, you can't use polymorph to turn into the tarrasque. Note that both it and alter self are capped at one size category larger/smaller than you are (and size changes don't stack).

Shapechange.

Lycanthromancer
2009-09-12, 11:23 PM
Shapechange.

!= polymorph.

Jack_Simth
2009-09-12, 11:32 PM
And remember children...Unconscious creatures are automatically considered willing! :smallbiggrin:
That only applies to spells with the (Harmless) tag. So if you're pulling your buddy along with Teleport, and he's unconscious, he comes right along with no argument. If you're trying to hit him with Dominate Person when he's unconscious, he fights the spell off all the same.

Lycanthromancer
2009-09-12, 11:37 PM
I mostly meant that you hit it with psionic dominate, then force it to lower its SR and fail its save vs. true mind switch.

Voila, you're the tarrasque.

I just like how horrible it is to say, "According to D&D, unconscious creatures are always considered willing." It just sounds so...wrong.

Jack_Simth
2009-09-12, 11:54 PM
I mostly meant that you hit it with psionic dominate, then force it to lower its SR and fail its save vs. true mind switch.

Voila, you're the tarrasque.

I just like how horrible it is to say, "According to D&D, unconscious creatures are always considered willing." It just sounds so...wrong.

You *might* be able to convince Mr. T to lower his SR, but Psionic Dominate inherits from the spell, Dominate Person, which includes the line "Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out." So no convincing Mr. T to forgo his Will save if the DM's on his toes (unless it's a monty haul game or some such).

Lycanthromancer
2009-09-12, 11:59 PM
It'll fail its save if you convince it that you're gonna do something nice for it. And it'll have to believe you, since you're using, y'know, mind-control...

Random832
2009-09-13, 01:04 AM
That only applies to spells with the (Harmless) tag. So if you're pulling your buddy along with Teleport, and he's unconscious, he comes right along with no argument. If you're trying to hit him with Dominate Person when he's unconscious, he fights the spell off all the same.

Actually, no. It's for the "Target: ...willing..." tag (like Teleport, and unlike Dominate). It's got nothing to do with saving throws at all. Since psionic dominate does not have the willing target restriction, the unconsciousness bit is not relevant to it.

Bayar
2009-09-13, 02:59 AM
Shapechange.

Doesnt work since the Tarrasque is a unique creature. Shapechange doesnt let you shapechange into unique creatures.

Unless you count that distant planet inhabitated entirely by tarrasques (was it in Spelljammer ? )

Frog Dragon
2009-09-13, 03:20 AM
Master of Many Forms of course lets you have Magical Beast Wildshape.
Except that it doesn't. The table at least doesn't have magical beast wildsape anywhere in it.

Volkov
2009-09-13, 09:34 AM
Just 2 words:

Psionic. Dominate.

Is the tarrasque immune to mind affecting effects? His list of immunities is fricken huge, and in some cases, somewhat absurd.