PDA

View Full Version : Pretty good flash game

Gamerlord
2009-09-12, 08:51 PM
http://armorgames.com/play/4486/my-pet-protector

Why aren't there more games like this? The concept is downright brilliant, and so is the game.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-09-13, 12:32 AM
Dude, that's really cool! I think I'm hooked.

shadowxknight
2009-09-13, 12:57 AM
This game is pretty fun.

It's kind of like watered down version of the Princess Maker series.

MichMorgan
2009-09-13, 01:39 AM
Yea, that was pretty fun....thanks gamerkid!

evisiron
2009-09-13, 10:06 AM
*wakes up*

Gah, lost a fair chunk of time playing that! Ended up with the "Brilliant Tutor of Combat" (tier 5) result. Score potential 111800.
No idea if that is good or not...

endoperez
2009-09-13, 10:27 AM
So, basically it's Flash version of Princess Maker, except in the end you're shown how well you did instead of what your protege ended up as?

Gamerlord
2009-09-13, 01:02 PM
*wakes up*

Gah, lost a fair chunk of time playing that! Ended up with the "Brilliant Tutor of Combat" (tier 5) result. Score potential 111800.
No idea if that is good or not...

I think tier 5 is good, I once got a tier 7 result(seer) result though. I so far have reached only tier 7 as my best.

Fredthefighter
2009-09-13, 01:05 PM
I played this and tried going straight into adventures.

All of my attacks missed and my magic attacks death pathetic damage. I got killed a lot.

Then I decided to heck with adventuring and stuck to mucking out horses. :smallbiggrin:

I got bored after a while. :smallsigh:

Athaniar
2009-09-13, 01:14 PM
This game is highly addictive. In a good way.

My first character, Athaniar, ended up as a Virtuous Priest (Tier 8, SP 22717). He liked to work in the church and write poems.

My second character, Belikous, ended up as a Brilliant Tutor of Combat (Tier 5, SP 88621). He liked to protect the town and to fight. Equipped with the Helm of Legends and the Sword of Mastery, the brave but somewhat dark hero conquered Firetop Mountain and ended up with 11517 gold pieces when his apprenticeship ended.

Rutskarn
2009-09-13, 02:35 PM
The f*** you want from me, game?! My hero was, like, 100 in combat and defense, and had gear that would make the gods themselves TREMBLE. He cleaned out the greatest dungeon in the land without breaking a sweat! He had 100 reputation! Whaddya mean, COMPLETELY UNKNOWN?!

Ziren
2009-09-13, 02:54 PM
The f*** you want from me, game?! My hero was, like, 100 in combat and defense, and had gear that would make the gods themselves TREMBLE. He cleaned out the greatest dungeon in the land without breaking a sweat! He had 100 reputation! Whaddya mean, COMPLETELY UNKNOWN?!

Yeah, that happened to me as well. My student had maxed combat and magic reputition, compassion, sin, fame and refinement. Completely unknown at the end. I guess it happens if get conflicting outcomes.

Fredthefighter
2009-09-13, 03:08 PM
The f*** you want from me, game?!

The game demands your blood, sweat, tears and soul! :smallbiggrin:

Rutskarn
2009-09-13, 04:19 PM
Boo-hya, game, boo-friggin'-yah. Tier 5, baby. Brilliant Combat Tutor.

That is what I like to see. That is what I like to see. I think with a bit of refinement, I could easily get a few extra levels.

deuxhero
2009-09-13, 09:31 PM
I got tier 2.

Start with warrior/street urchin/training work in the stable for the first year (train when you have enough to afford the best rest and the training), guard for 3rd a year and train. Knock off the dungeons in order after you get decent gold and you rapidly earn enough fat loot to prople you to the end of the game. After knocking off each dungeon with a happy amount of loot (fame and combat rep should be maxed) finish off guard and stable, then train to max in combat and poetry (the training can be done at a higher stress level than anything else).

Stormthorn
2009-09-13, 10:27 PM
Yeah, that happened to me as well. My student had maxed combat and magic reputition, compassion, sin, fame and refinement. Completely unknown at the end. I guess it happens if get conflicting outcomes.

Thats...really impressive. I didnt max out one stat exept for the fame subcatagory for melee combat.

I did get like 20 dex and 17 Str and Con.

I got tier 2.
So you either got a very bad result or a very good result.

deuxhero
2009-09-13, 10:49 PM
Given "unknown" is tier 120 something while tier 2 is something knight, high.

Stormthorn
2009-09-13, 11:30 PM
I wonder how that one guy maxed out both refinment and fame.

I tried for a maigc + social character but i ended up with only 50 refinment. 100 temperment, morals, magic defence, and humility. Magic attack 50. Compassion 75.

Unfortunatly i also ended up with 0 physical combat attack or defense and only 5 fame.

Also, the Fortune Teller career is worthless. It didnt give me a single item or stat boost and i maxed out its associated skills long before i maxed out the career.

SO my attempt got me 5 fame and 50 refinment. For him to get 100 in both is impressive.

Ziren
2009-09-13, 11:42 PM

I tried for a maigc + social character but i ended up with only 50 refinment. 100 temperment, morals, magic defence, and humility. Magic attack 50. Compassion 75.

Unfortunatly i also ended up with 0 physical combat attack or defense and only 5 fame.

Also, the Fortune Teller career is worthless. It didnt give me a single item or stat boost and i maxed out its associated skills long before i maxed out the career.

SO my attempt got me 5 fame and 50 refinment. For him to get 100 in both is impressive.

The important thing is to know that magic is bad. Really bad. I didn't give that character an actual job other than adventuring (and occasionally begging, when I needed the money to pay for the holiday). At first I maxed his combat attack and defense while cleaning out the easier dungeons, then I sent him to magic school and brought magic attack and defense to somewhere between 90 and 100.
When I finally brought my magic rep to 100, I saw that compassion and refinement were pretty decent as well (thanks to the beach and forest holiday), so I let him go to poetry class to max those out.

Stormthorn
2009-09-13, 11:46 PM
Im amused that my fairly refined and compassioned, highly moral and well tempered walking ball of anti-magic with with Int, Charisma, Dex, and Con all raised was destined to become a begger.

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-14, 02:06 AM
I got completely unknown(tier 12) but my score potential was 35,000? It seems the tier idea is sending mixed signals.

kpenguin
2009-09-14, 02:10 AM
My highest tier so far is 5.

Setra
2009-09-14, 04:33 AM
I just tried it out... got Tier 5 for my first try... I guess that's good? I'm a big fan of Princess Maker (>.> Don't look at me like that) so I enjoyed it... but now I wanna play PM :smallbiggrin:

Adumbration
2009-09-14, 08:47 AM
Best so far has been Tier 4, Royal seer. I have no idea how to beat those 500 hp skeletons with a mage, though.

Ziren
2009-09-14, 09:16 AM
Best so far has been Tier 4, Royal seer. I have no idea how to beat those 500 hp skeletons with a mage, though.

You don't even with a 20 con/str and 100 combat defense it's pretty much luck only. It's a bug however, an earlier update fixed them so they had "only" 300 health, but the latest patch seems to have broken it again.

But the game has lots of design errors anyway: I don't know if it's been fixed yet, but in the initial game it was impossible to get dragon taming to 100 (you just don't have enough time from the point it is available - even if you do nothing but work and forest vacations).

Johnny Blade
2009-09-14, 09:54 AM
Okay, tried this and it's fun, but it does have issues with less straight-forward characters, I think.

My first one ended up as captain of the guard, which means tier 5. That was pretty much expected, since he spent most of his time out in the wild, learning about combat/strategy, or, you know, being part of the guard.

The second one, however, after getting his magic stats, compassion, refinement, morals and temperament, as well as the stablehand and banker careers, to 100 ended up as a stable owner - tier 10. Probably because he spent a lot of time in the stables, but still, you'd expect him to be a little better. (I mainly tried to see how a non-combatant would perform here.)

Next up: A bum in training. Does nothing but beg, stay at home/go on vacation, and explore the wilderness.

Jahkaivah
2009-09-14, 10:17 AM
Isn't this just a Breakout clone?
Kidding :P

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-14, 10:49 AM
Let's see - my first character got up to Teir five Captain of the Watch with 100 Combat Attack, Defense and Repute, regularly beat up those 500 health skeletons, got 100 on the Night Watch job and ground the "Church Work" job to end up with zero sin and well over 5000 gold.

deuxhero
2009-09-14, 10:53 AM

After you knock off the dungeons and have massive ammounts of money and have maxed 2 carrers, sit back and learn poetry.

Whoracle
2009-09-14, 11:25 AM
Tier 11 / Score 30828

Pitiful...

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-14, 11:30 AM
Next Apprentice is:
Teir 4/ A Brilliant Poet/ 41100 Score

Rutskarn
2009-09-14, 12:05 PM
New concept--my boy is not going to so much as pick up a blade or cast a spell.

Johnny Blade
2009-09-14, 12:09 PM
Keep an eye on how much time he spends in each career then, or you'll end up with a lowly stable owner like I did.

EDIT: My bum ended up as...a bum. Or rather, a pitiful beggar, as the game calls it, which translates to tier 11.

chiasaur11
2009-09-14, 12:22 PM
Let's see - my first character got up to Teir five Captain of the Watch with 100 Combat Attack, Defense and Repute, regularly beat up those 500 health skeletons, got 100 on the Night Watch job and ground the "Church Work" job to end up with zero sin and well over 5000 gold.

Captain of the Night Watch, a monster in combat, and absolutely innocent?

Was he of Dwarven upbringing, perchance?

Rutskarn
2009-09-14, 12:51 PM
...huh. My pacifist weenie hit Tier 4, Brilliant Poet.

I'm beginning to suspect this game is kinda borked.

Next project: remorseless killing machine.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-14, 12:55 PM
Hrm. I want to see a 100 in all combats and 100 in Sin character...

Are there any ways to increase Sin outside of combat?

Captain of the Night Watch, a monster in combat, and absolutely innocent?

Was he of Dwarven upbringing, perchance?

Nope, he was definatly a Paladin, what with the shiney red armour and the "Master Sword" and the huge Faith and Humility scores.
He also had next-to-no compassion and refinement, his tutor was a Ranger, he grew up as a Street Urchin and was granted a boon of money from his leige.

Sounds like a Paladin to me.

Rutskarn
2009-09-14, 01:10 PM
I've seen a great build flaw in my killing machine. Oh, well.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-14, 01:12 PM
you misaligned the Power Flow between the Sword Arm's Elbow Joint Acutator and the Tertiary Wrist Hinge, didn't you?
I swear, I'm the only one who knows how to turn a perfectly nomal, meek person into a cybernetic killing machine around these parts. :smallsigh:

Rutskarn
2009-09-14, 01:13 PM
Well, no. While his combat stats were coming along nicely, his physical stats remained basically static. Those really only increase through hard labor and blind forest-resting chance.

So, I've got a combat master with a gimp arm and a half-quart of blood. Great.

I aborted the apprenticeship.

Fredthefighter
2009-09-14, 01:27 PM
Well, no. While his combat stats were coming along nicely, his physical stats remained basically static. Those really only increase through hard labor and blind forest-resting chance.

So, I've got a combat master with a gimp arm and a half-quart of blood. Great.

I aborted the apprenticeship.

Yeah, I ended up with tons of Strength (I used Stablehand as my start-up career), quite a bit more Constitution (I had around 260 Health by the end).
I was doing about 33 damage a hit against 500 HP Skeletons with the Sword of Mastery. Fortunately, most of them missed a lot, meaning that I could catch up with them quite quickly.
I had 100 Combat Attack, 100 Combat Defense, 100 Magic Defense and 80+ Magic Attack. :smallbiggrin:
I did have 0 Faith and about 80 Sin though. All because of Magic School and a lot of Dungeon Delving.
Which made me a :
Demon Warrior Tier 5 Captain of the Guard!
And I had fuzzy bunny slippers, the Protector's Headgear, the Plates of Darkness, the Protector's Gloves and the Protector's Leg Guards.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-09-14, 03:19 PM
First try got captain of the gaurd. Had high guard and dragon taming and maxed out combat skills. Next run through I got max combat skills and high guard. After clearing most of the dungeons I then did a lot of poetry and theology training to get all those other skills up high. Ended up Noble Knight (Tier 2). I think higher tier is better.

Rutskarn
2009-09-14, 03:24 PM
First try got captain of the gaurd. Had high guard and dragon taming and maxed out combat skills. Next run through I got max combat skills and high guard. After clearing most of the dungeons I then did a lot of poetry and theology training to get all those other skills up high. Ended up Noble Knight (Tier 2). I think higher tier is better.

But for early careers, did you do, like, carpentry and stablemastery, or what? At what point did you start weaning him off working and start him on actual combat training/fighting stuff?

AgentPaper
2009-09-14, 03:37 PM
Just as a note, it seems like it is possible to max out every single score, though possibly not in the duration of the game. The main problem is that you can't normally max out magic attack and faith at the same time, since all the ways of increasing one will decrease the other. The best you can get just from work/school is one of them maxed and the other in the high nineties. However, if you max out everything but magic attack (except for sin, which is supposed to be at 0) and then go on an adventure and run into the lady mage a few times, that seems to increase your magic attack without decreasing your faith.

However, this takes a LOT of luck, since you need to run into the lady mage multiple times without meeting up with an enemy even once, since you'll be forced to either kill it, and get sin, or run away, and lower fame.

Ashtar
2009-09-14, 03:37 PM
Whahahah!

I started off with Ranger background, Middle option on second level and skill training. Then I made him muck the stables till 100 to pay for combat training, then hit the dungeons and cleared them one after the other paying for combat and magic training, always choosing the best resting option. Got sufficiently equipped to deal with the 500 hit point skeletons and killed them all. :) Once he had cleansed the world, I put him through poetry and got him up to this with a couple of weeks to spare.

The result?

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5763/charby.png
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1938/dungeonk.png
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/4568/result.png

Hell he should be kickass arch-gish of death!

Johnny Blade
2009-09-14, 04:01 PM
Oddly enough, I got the same result, only that my apprentice never bothered with magic, which only resulted in a score potential of almost exactly 10.000 less.
Seems like the game knows exactly how useless magic is. :smallamused:

I mostly relied on Science and the Night Watch.

Stormthorn
2009-09-14, 08:33 PM
I think Fortune Teller job is glitched. No way such a high stress job with pay equal to night watch wouldnt give any bonuses or items.

And i hate those 500 HP skeletons. My fighter guy could beat one but luck was factor numero uno.

KBF
2009-09-14, 08:58 PM
..I saw this game and dismissed it as another one of many boring, totally forgettable but slightly addictive raise-a-(blank) games. I'm surprised at not only how many people here are addicted to it, but how you guys apparently haven't ever seen another one of these games.

I guess they have been dieing out in the last few years, with not a single one worth remembering... I'll just play Monster Rancher.

Stormthorn
2009-09-14, 09:50 PM
..I saw this game and dismissed it as another one of many boring, totally forgettable but slightly addictive raise-a-(blank) games. I'm surprised at not only how many people here are addicted to it, but how you guys apparently haven't ever seen another one of these games.

I guess they have been dieing out in the last few years, with not a single one worth remembering... I'll just play Monster Rancher.

I can honostly say i have never ever played or even heard of a series of games where you do...well...whatever you do in this game. I think "raising" is too simple and "training" too narrow.

Setra
2009-09-14, 10:08 PM
I can honostly say i have never ever played or even heard of a series of games where you do...well...whatever you do in this game. I think "raising" is too simple and "training" too narrow.
Princess Maker is similar to this, though I think a little more fleshed out..

After playing this I had a sudden urge to play Princess Maker 2 and got the ending where she took over hell :smallbiggrin:

I actually don't think I've ever gotten the ending where she marries the prince though...

If you like this you might like that

Rutskarn
2009-09-14, 10:11 PM
Whahahah! [/Spoiler]

What? That...it...why...how...

WHY ISN'T HE TIER ONE?

That's friggin...IMPOSSIBLY GOOD. How do you BEAT that? How? HOW?!

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US, GAME?

Stormthorn
2009-09-14, 10:18 PM
Princess Maker is similar to this, though I think a little more fleshed out..

After playing this I had a sudden urge to play Princess Maker 2 and got the ending where she took over hell :smallbiggrin:

I actually don't think I've ever gotten the ending where she marries the prince though...

If you like this you might like that

But isnt that game only released in Japan?

Rutskarn
2009-09-14, 10:19 PM
Nah, there's an English version. According to Wikipedia, anyway.

From the looks of it, though, it's pretty linear. I'd prefer a game like this--where you have absolute free reign.

Setra
2009-09-14, 10:25 PM
Nah, there's an English version. According to Wikipedia, anyway.

From the looks of it, though, it's pretty linear. I'd prefer a game like this--where you have absolute free reign.
What do you define as free reign?

You can make her an Artist, a Warrior, a Magician, even a Cook. This game seems to dislike things that aren't combat based..

The existence of a story is nice too.

Rutskarn
2009-09-14, 10:26 PM
Guess I meant freeform, more.

Player_Zero
2009-09-14, 11:04 PM
Flash games:

http://armorgames.com/

And this one:

http://babarageo.com/flash/ginormo/

Good games.

Nano
2009-09-14, 11:10 PM
I like Red on Armourgames. Not sure why, but it's fun.

KBF
2009-09-15, 12:21 AM
I like Red on Armourgames. Not sure why, but it's fun.

I prefer the much more artistic Grey, but that's on Newgrounds and Kongregate.

I'm not even joking. Look it up.

UnChosenOne
2009-09-15, 05:53 AM
My first student Anor did end up as Briliant Turto of Combat (Tier 5, 50254) and was suprised about that amount edjucation that his master did give and bitter about that amount work that he was forced to do.

Ashtar
2009-09-15, 06:15 AM
I have a tendency to get stuck on these games.

Studying magic knocked my faith down, and in the time-frame I had, I found no way of raising humility (except for staying at home which costs too much time). I did have 100 of compassion for a while, but lost it due to not saving a fairy...

I played quite a lot of Princess Maker 2. I managed to get one of my girls to climb the ladder to heaven after defeating the god of war to meet her patron god.

Johnny Blade
2009-09-15, 06:21 AM
I think, if you really want to go for tier 1, you should stop with the dungeons as soon as you have 100 fame and go to school for the rest of the time.

So, basically, mainly work in the first year (stables for forest vacation and compassion), but try to also get your stats up. Science seems good.
Get your fighting skills on an acceptable level in year 2. Not sure whether working in the night watch or a mix of adventuring and strategy courses would be better here.
Go on a killing spree some time in year 3.
Go back to school as soon as possible. Theology should be important.

Could be a plan, I don't know. You'll also need luck with work results and, most importantly, getting promoted to higher classes, I think.
(If magic attack is in any way important, this won't work.)

EDIT: For fame, the desert seems to be good as well. Got 6 fights in a week there.

blueblade
2009-09-23, 02:15 AM
For adventuring, are the dungeons or the explorations better (aside from items, which clearly come out better from dungeons).

I've managed a tier 2 holy knight. Got lucky and got a sword which gave 40 attack, cleared out the kongregate only dungeon and then spent the rest of my time studying and perfecting poetry, and going on the high end rest trips. I think I even had very high magic by the end. Not sure how to do much better actually.

Trying to remember the name of a similar game I actually downloaded and played. Had many more jobs and options, and more of a 'dark side' career track (I remember some bad jobs you could do at the dump particularly). The other thing I remember is that you didn't know your true identity and could end up as a long lost princess (although the game strongly hinted you weren't really). Anyone remember?