PDA

View Full Version : What I wouldn't do for an Analyze Dweomer...

rezplz
2009-09-12, 09:56 PM
So last night, I was DMing the end of the last session of DnD for my friends before everyone splits off for school and such. They were taking care of the most powerful group of thieves/assassins on the continent. They were level 12, and the highest level thieves were a few level 13 rogues. They basically slaughtered most of them by simply waiting in the inn for the thieves to try to assassinate them. Hilarity ensued. Anyway.

At the end of the campaign, however, they had a lot of magical loot to sell. The party rogue asks if there's a wizard in the city who can cast Analyze Dweomer. I guess he didn't want to have anything that was cursed, fair enough. One of the bags he had WAS a bag of devouring. But anyway, couldn't find one in the city. So they go off to the capital, fair enough. They find that the only wizard in town that could cast it was the head of the mage's guild, a level 15 wizard. But you know, this guy's pretty busy. Being the head of the mage's guild. They botch their diplomacy roll, so the guy says he'll only do it for 30% more than the standard price. I figured that'd be fair enough, right?

Nah, rogue says that's not good enough. He decides they're going to go to every city in the country until they can find someone to cast this spell. Keeping in mind that wizards are rare, especially high level ones, and that they aren't going to find one at a higher level than in the capital, I tell him no. You can't find any. He's getting pretty annoyed at this point, but I figure he'll just drop it and pay the extra 30%, or just go with the identify spell. Nonono, he doesn't. He goes on to say that they will travel the entire world until they can find someone to cast this spell for them. Now, other than the country they were in, and the city they had started in, I hadn't done any notes on the continents except for one paragraph each. So I just improvised that the next country over was more magic-oriented and they found someone.

By the time it was over, they had spent a few months just trying to get a wizard to cast one spell for them. Silly? Yes. Will there be consequences for them doing nothing for a few months? Ohhh yes. 8)

So what stories do you have of players going to extreme ends for something that really seems so simple?

oxinabox
2009-09-12, 10:48 PM
I once Knocked down a wall, (sliding sotone door actually) cos the DM said it wouldn't open. and there was a button next to it, but i didn't ask (or roll for spot)

rezplz
2009-09-12, 10:50 PM
How big was the button? Seems like something you'd notice pretty easy without having to specifically ask for it ;P

ericgrau
2009-09-12, 10:59 PM
He might have a DM who requires a DC 10+ spot check to notice every troll, rhino charging at you, door, etc. Like 0 ranks makes you blind or something.

rezplz
2009-09-12, 11:01 PM
I'd die in that game so fast D:

oxinabox
2009-09-12, 11:14 PM
How big was the button? Seems like something you'd notice pretty easy without having to specifically ask for it ;P

this character did have -1 spot