PDA

View Full Version : (3.5ish) So Just What DO Adventurers Do?

Deth Muncher
2009-09-12, 11:14 PM
Sure, everyone has this great notion of "I'mma go be a hero and killz the bad peoplez! YAY." Right? That's just kind of accepted. But you don't start out being able to pimpsmack Asmodeous. Sometimes you've just gotta beat up the local mob boss, or shoo away the particularly vicious badgers from Farmer Wellington's cabbage patch.

So my question is, what should characters be doing at various levels to show that they're the good guys?

As a side note, I put that as 3.5ish because I don't really know the power levels in other games/editions.

My view is something like:
Level 1: Chasing away aforementioned badgers.
Level 5: Taking down small hordes of goblins.
Level 10: Taking down a necromancer and his horde of undead.
Level 15: Beating up an Adult Dragon.
Level 20: Storm the Gates of Hell.
Level 20+: Break reality.

Godskook
2009-09-12, 11:34 PM
I think it is better to think of it as 'influence level' of the characters.

L1: Local - they're just one in the crowd, only marginally better than others.
L5: Company - if they're in an army, they're part of a special unit, if they're merc, they're the company's 'best' squad.
L10: Kingdom - kings summon their aid, or fear their involvement with the enemy.
L15: Global - the fate of the world now starts to rely on your ability to accomplish your goals.
L20: Planar - you begin meddling with the affairs of gods, and begin being able to kill them.

At least, that's what I've picked up.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-12, 11:38 PM
They troubleshoot.

Yukitsu
2009-09-12, 11:39 PM
What I do:

Level 1: Prepping for big things.
Level 5: Permanently changing the political landscape of the world by harming or talking reasonably with important people that I'm not supposed to be able to beat.
Level 10: Subverted the country's government to a large degree, either for good or ill. (this includes a theocracy of level 18 clerics)
Level 15: Talking down whatever arbitrates the way things work (gods, demons, devils)
Level 20: Beating up gods.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-12, 11:46 PM
Lvl 1: Pun Pun
Lvl 2: ???
Lvl 3: Profit.

infinitypanda
2009-09-12, 11:52 PM
1-5: Find something and kill it.
6-10: Find something and kill it.
11-15: Find something and kill it.
16-20: Find something and kill it.

You're welcome.

Doc Roc
2009-09-12, 11:53 PM
Classically, your mother.
{Scrubbed for politeness}

Zeta Kai
2009-09-13, 12:53 AM
Adventurers do whatever they feel like, if the DM will let them get away with it. Most munchkins remember the former & forget the latter. A good player does the inverse.