PDA

View Full Version : Why exactly is it that Elan/Nale's father is Lord Tyrinar?

paladinofshojo
2009-09-13, 12:47 AM
Nale said that he was just a general of a nigh-unstopable army, he didn't say anything about him being the dictator of a nation aswell. It could be that Elan/Nale's father just serves as Lord Tyrinar's general. Sort of like how Darth Vader served Emperor Palpatine......

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-13, 12:55 AM
We don't know yet if Lord Tyrinar is Elan's father, it hasn't been revealed.

I think Elan's father is Miron Shrewdanker, Tyrinar's (evil) chancellor

David Argall
2009-09-13, 01:05 AM
There is no necessity to it, but it seems to fit. It seems almost mandatory that the twin's parent[s] make an appearance, and since this book will be the one on the Western continent, Haley's dad has to be here with Lord Tyrinar. If my guess is correct, there will be a book on the Snarl world, and a final book on the dwarf lands, so that suggests that Nale & Elan will have their family time in the current book. But a chapter on Haley's rescue of her dad followed by the twins [or vice-versa] seems a little inferior to mixing the two of them.

General Valter
2009-09-13, 01:11 AM
As Elan and Haley are dating (and, y'know, in the same place) now, there's a decent chance that their next side-quest will be together. That would probably help Tyrinar's chances of being Nale's father. It would do a decent job of giving them both a reason for being involved in whatever quest they get into over there.

Thanatosia
2009-09-13, 02:15 AM
Panel 8 of Elan/Nales Backstory (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) shows that their father fought under a banner bearing a yellow "T" in front of some demonic-bat Wings on a red background. We have no proof that the T stands for Tyrinar, but its another (IMO) convincing piece of supporting evidence.

I think Elan's father is Miron Shrewdanker, Tyrinar's (evil)
chancellor
Shrewdanker seems like more of a crafty/sneaky/toady name then a Warlord/conquerer name. Elan/Nale's Father may not be Tyrinar himself (But I bet it is), but I'd bet a great deal that it is not Miron Shrewdanker.

BatRobin
2009-09-13, 02:50 PM
We don't know yet if Lord Tyrinar is Elan's father, it hasn't been revealed.

I think Elan's father is Miron Shrewdanker, Tyrinar's (evil) chancellor

And Elan's mom is Norim Reknadwerhs!

The Neoclassic
2009-09-13, 03:53 PM
Panel 8 of Elan/Nales Backstory (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) shows that their father fought under a banner bearing a yellow "T" in front of some demonic-bat Wings on a red background. We have no proof that the T stands for Tyrinar, but its another (IMO) convincing piece of supporting evidence.

Yup. It's not certain, but I think Tyrinar being Elan/Nale's father is a reasonable guess.

Trobby
2009-09-13, 04:53 PM
"I mean, it's not like you couldn't have figured it out." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html)

That, and the fact that he's Lawful Evil, where Haley's father is probably Chaotic Good, or at least Chaotic Neutral.

mockingbyrd7
2009-09-13, 05:49 PM
I'm half-expecting there to be some epic showdown where Lord Tyrinar says at the climactic moment, "Elan... I am not your father." And Elan is dumbfounded, because it makes perfect sense from a dramatic perspective. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Or, possibly:

Tyrinar: "Elan... I am your father."
Elan: "...Well, duh. Who hasn't figured THAT out by now?"
Tyrinar: "You mean... you knew?!"
Elan: "Well it was pretty obvious. I mean, the clues have been there since comic #50!"
Tyrinar: *sigh*

mizzim
2009-09-13, 05:54 PM
no, no, it's like this:
T: Elan... I am your father.
:elan: yeah, I know, nale told me, like, seven hundred strips ago.
T: ... he did?
:elan: yeah.

David Argall
2009-09-13, 07:13 PM
I'm half-expecting there to be some epic showdown where Lord Tyrinar says at the climactic moment, "Elan... I am not your father." And Elan is dumbfounded, because it makes perfect sense from a dramatic perspective.
No it doesn't. It made sense in Starwars because Luke assumed his father was dead, and Darth was a long term foe. Here, Elan has no reason to assume dad is dead, and and we have no established relationship between the two.
There are other father-son cliches possible here, and we will likely use one of them.

Trobby
2009-09-13, 07:24 PM
No it doesn't. It made sense in Starwars because Luke assumed his father was dead, and Darth was a long term foe. Here, Elan has no reason to assume dad is dead, and and we have no established relationship between the two.
There are other father-son cliches possible here, and we will likely use one of them.

Except it would be a perfectly classic plot pull if he DID turn out to be his father at the very end.

However, I think Elan will react...somewhat differently.

T: Elan...I...am your father.
:elan:: NO! That's impossible!
T: You know it to be true!
:elan:: Well yeah...but I need to play it up for dramatic effect!

Lissou
2009-09-13, 08:56 PM
We don't know that Elan's father is Lord T. The theory is that he is because:

- He's evil and his banner has a T on it (which could stand for Tyrinar, although if he's a general, he could be Tyrinar's general rather than being T himself)
- We don't know Elan's last name, while we know the others' (except V's, but elves might have a single name), so people suspect that Elan's name is important, possibly because it's Tyrinar
- Lord T is holding Haley's father hostage, and it seems that since she's in a couple with Elan, if Elan's father was the bad guy it would be... well, dramatic.

Add to that no real reason to think otherwise (as in nothing really disproving the theory) and people have been assuming it for a long, long time. It still doesn't mean that it's true, of course, but it might be.

Optimystik
2009-09-13, 11:25 PM
My prediction:
Miron will make a classic Rasptin-esque grab for power and try to unseat Tyrinar. This will put Elan and Nale in cahoots once more, and we get some action-packed scenes of badassery showing how dangerous the brothers would have been had they been able to work together toward a common goal. Naturally, this will also set the stage for Nale's betrayal.

Knowing the Giant, he will forecast a scenario similar to this, and throw a wrench in it all at the last minute, leaving the forums stunned :smallwink:

Ichneumon
2009-09-13, 11:35 PM
I think it makes too much sense, from a story perspective, to have Tyrinar be Nale/Elan's father

Trobby
2009-09-13, 11:38 PM
Oh I'm sure it might not actually be Tyranitar...heck, maybe you're right, and Elan's father really is just the general of an army...but we don't know his last name, and Rich makes a point of never changing his story based on the boards, so it could turn out to be entirely true.

Coliumbos
2009-09-14, 12:47 AM
Oh I'm sure it might actually be Tyranitar...

As long as it doesn't turn into another pala-fest i'll be fine with that =P

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-14, 01:14 AM
My prediction:
Miron will make a classic Rasptin-esque grab for power and try to unseat Tyrinar. This will put Elan and Nale in cahoots once more, and we get some action-packed scenes of badassery showing how dangerous the brothers would have been had they been able to work together toward a common goal. Naturally, this will also set the stage for Nale's betrayal.

Knowing the Giant, he will forecast a scenario similar to this, and throw a wrench in it all at the last minute, leaving the forums stunned :smallwink:

I like this idea.

Jalor
2009-09-14, 04:51 AM
Tyranitar
That's a Pokemon.

Trobby
2009-09-14, 09:29 AM
...Wait, really?

*Goes back to check his spelling*

Tyrinaria...Tyranitar...Oh! :smallredface: My mistake...(I mean, it's not like I called him Tauros or something like that...)

Code Black
2009-09-14, 01:57 PM
I think it makes too much sense, from a story perspective, to have Tyrinar be Nale/Elan's father

Pretty much this. Tyrinar was mentioned as a tyrant, as was Nale/Elan's father. From a narrative standpoint, it makes sense for that those to be related, as things that are mentioned and similar are rarely that way unintentionally.

Ichneumon
2009-09-14, 02:05 PM
Pretty much this. Tyrinar was mentioned as a tyrant, as was Nale/Elan's father. From a narrative standpoint, it makes sense for that those to be related, as things that are mentioned and similar are rarely that way unintentionally.

It's not only that everybody on the board has been saying this since the beginning, that their father and Tyrinar are the same, it is indeed also that it would make extremely well use of plot elements and tention building in a very classical and predictable way. It is so predictable, that we can expect Rich to do something else, mainly because it wouldn't be fun if he didn't.

One Skunk Todd
2009-09-14, 03:19 PM
Panel 8 of Elan/Nales Backstory (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) shows that their father fought under a banner bearing a yellow "T" in front of some demonic-bat Wings on a red background.

Interesting that that same strip also shows us divorce proceedings and grounds for divorce in OOtSworld.

krossbow
2009-09-14, 11:59 PM
i'd personally just like to see the dialouge between elan's mother and father. Even if such things happen in real life even, i still want to hear how a paragon of chaotic good and a paragon of lawful evil got married. And given how the father was the one suing for divorce, i don't see much capture/trickery/rape going on from his end.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-15, 12:03 AM
Somehow I think it was little more than a one night stand, and then he resolved to "make an honest woman" out of her.

Mando Knight
2009-09-15, 12:07 AM
...Wait, really?

*Goes back to check his spelling*

Tyrinaria...Tyranitar...Oh! :smallredface: My mistake...(I mean, it's not like I called him Tauros or something like that...)

It... kinda works... I mean, T-tar can be as much of an evil badass 'mon as Tyrinar is an implied evil badass warlord...

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/8/82/248Tyranitar.png

krossbow
2009-09-15, 12:11 AM
It... kinda works... I mean, T-tar can be as much of an evil badass 'mon as Tyrinar is an implied evil badass warlord...

Go masterball!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_r32kr2KOeWM/R7IRGP7DcRI/AAAAAAAAADY/XzEdz5_0cUw/s320/pokeball-smash.jpg

Trobby
2009-09-15, 09:39 AM

:nale:: You see Elan, our father is level 75! And he knows Hyper Beam!
:elan:: ...:smallconfused: I thought I was the crazy one...

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-22, 12:32 AM
Okay, we've had a few developments but here's a few suggestions from the strip thread.

Since Lord Tyrinar is likely out of power, it has been suggested that Haley's Dad is now the evil overlord.

If we take this and the idea that Tyrinar is Elan and Nale's father.

Then perhaps Tyrinar is now languishing in prison with a big ransom on him and Elan wants to use Haley's money to bail him out

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-09-22, 10:51 PM
My money is on Elan having taken his mother's last name, which would likely be Raniryt.:smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2009-09-23, 01:04 AM
That's a Pokemon.

I never realized that Elan was half-Pokemon. Where's the template for that?