PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help brushing up this spell

deuxhero
2009-09-13, 10:20 AM
I wanted to make an evocation that was half decent, but I am not that good with spells.

Plasma Ball
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous, 1 round/level (see text)
Saving Throw: Reflex (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

The spell functuions as fireball except as noted

You create a ball of searing hot plasma that flys at your target. Every creature in the area takes dX of damage, half of which is fire damage, the other half is unstoppable (what was the right term for this?) per caster level (max YdX) Any creature within the effect must make a reflex save or catch on fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#catchingOnFire) (Even if the save is made, the creature still takes full damage, the save is the standard for a spell, not dc15). Even after hitting, the target area remains on fire for 1 round/level and creatures who end their turn (better clause) standing in it take half the damage the spell initially dealt

vampire2948
2009-09-13, 10:33 AM
You create a ball of searing hot plasma that flys at your target. Every creature in the area takes dX of damage, half of which is fire damage, the other half is unstoppable (what was the right term for this?) per caster level (max YdX) Any creature within the effect must make a reflex save or catch on fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#catchingOnFire) (Even if the save is made, the creature still takes full damage, the save is the standard for a spell, not dc15). Even after hitting, the target area remains on fire for 1 round/level and creatures who end their turn (better clause) standing in it take half the damage the spell initially dealt

Untyped, I think. But do you mean for it to bypass Spell Resistance? Or just typed magic resistance?

deuxhero
2009-09-13, 11:00 AM
On second thought, I really should have said spell resistance:No (never understood how a golem or such is immune to having fire chucked at it) but I intended for the second

vampire2948
2009-09-13, 11:21 AM
You'll want to list a max damage. Possibly the same as fireball?

Though the extra 1/2 damage for standing in that square might be a little... hmm. Maybe lower that a bit? Else you might want to make it a 5th-6th level spell?

So maybe something like this:

Plasma Ball
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Duration: Instantaneous, 1 round/level (see text)
Saving Throw: Reflex (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

The spell functuions as fireball except as noted

You create a ball of searing hot plasma that flies at your target. Every creature in the area takes d6 of damage, half of which is fire damage, the other half is unstoppable (what was the right term for this?) per caster level (max 10d6) Any creature within the effect must make a reflex save or catch on fire (Even if the save is made, the creature still takes full damage, the save is the standard for a spell, not dc15). Even after hitting, the target area remains on fire for 1 round/level and creatures who end their turn (better clause) standing in it take half the damage the spell initially dealt

Kuma Kode
2009-09-13, 11:27 AM
If it directly affects a creature, it allows Spell Resistance. A golem isn't immune to fire, it's immune to magic, and any magical effect that tries to hit it suffers that problem. If it bypasses spell resistance, it's usually because the spell creates some kind of material or creature which then proceeds to affect the target. These sneaky spells are almost always Conjuration, not Evocation. This spell is a direct, magical energy blast and so should not bypass spell resistance.

Well, I think as it is, it's way too powerful for a 4th level spell. Fireball allows a Reflex save for half damage, and does not cause extended damage, and that's only one level below.

Looking at Ice Storm, a 4th level evocation...

Both have the same range. Both have the same area of effect (height of the ice storm doesn't seem that important). Neither allow a save to reduce the damage. Both deal roughly half of their damage as elemental, and the other half non-elemental.

However, Ice Storm strikes once, dealing a mere 5d6 points of damage. Assuming Plasma Ball does the same die type as Ice Storm and Fireball, it will have the potential to deal 10d6 damage at its first available level. Its minimum damage is twice as much as another evocation spell of the same range and area, allows no save, and is impossible to completely resist. At least with Ice Storm the non-elemental half is a physical damage that can be reduced by Damage Reduction.

As for the damage cap, I would suggest setting it at 10 if you want to keep it saveless or 15 if you allow a save.

deuxhero
2009-09-13, 03:11 PM
You'll want to list a max damage. Possibly the same as fireball?

Though the extra 1/2 damage for standing in that square might be a little... hmm. Maybe lower that a bit? Else you might want to make it a 5th-6th level spell?

Or keep the damage low .

@Kuma Kode
Intended. What self respecting wizard uses either spell? Existing Evocations are not worth using.

As for SR, giving all the decent blasting spells to Conjuration instead of the blasting school is very wrong and a good chunk of the reason why Conjuration is the best school and Evocation is the worst.

Kuma Kode
2009-09-14, 06:47 AM
@Kuma Kode
Intended. What self respecting wizard uses either spell? Existing Evocations are not worth using.

As for SR, giving all the decent blasting spells to Conjuration instead of the blasting school is very wrong and a good chunk of the reason why Conjuration is the best school and Evocation is the worst.

Well if your intention was to create a spell without regard to an appropriate level, I guess I can't be very useful.

What self-respecting wizard doesn't use Fireball? Or Magic Missile?

In no way is Evocation "the worst". Divination is "the worst", and the Player's Handbook practically says so (A diviner must only give up one school of magic instead of two, hinting that divination is innately inferior to the other schools).

Evocation spells deal the most raw damage of any school, while Conjuration has the benefit of having a decent mix of attack and defense spells, not to mention the summoning line. Summoned creatures can bypass spell resistance, as can some of the conjuration attack spells like Melf's Acid Arrow. However, the damage is lower on these spells because of that ability. Melf's Acid Arrow, for instance, does 2d4 damage, plus an additional 2d4 for every three levels, spread over several rounds. At level 12, assuming your enemy is dumb enough to stand there and burn for all four rounds, you'll deal 8d4 damage with Melf's Acid Arrow. An evocation like Fireball would deal 12d6, and to a large group instead of a single target.

When it comes to raw power, Evocation is the king. Transmutation and Conjuration prefer utility to damage potential.

onthetown
2009-09-14, 09:10 AM
Almost every wizard does use Fireball, and many other Evocations. Even an Abjurer or Diviner needs those spells to get themselves out of trouble when their protections and whatnot run out... And who really wants to sit at the back just casting buffs at the rest of the party? Even Clerics see action. A lot of the Evocations are staple spells for any magic-user, as long as they don't prohibit the school.

I like Plasma Ball, but the concept of it seems to be trying to replace Fireball. Not a bad idea, but in that case it should be higher than 4th level because Fireball is at 3rd. Maybe 6th, since you can get Meteor Swarm at 8th or 9th(?) spell level. It's definitely a nice step to include in the fire-based spells.

Also, a Reflex for at least the fire portion of the damage will tone it down a bit. I know it's supposed to be some sort of all-powerful Fireball thing, but certain classes can avoid fire attacks with a Reflex anyway, so it becomes unbalanced...

arguskos
2009-09-14, 09:27 AM
Several notes I'd like to make:
1. CharOp has basically proved at this point that Evocation IS the weakest school, simply because it can be outshined or duplicated by the others. Just sayin'. I love me some booms, but the school NEEDS help.

2. Divination is in fact amazingly powerful. He who is forewarned is forearmed, and that's the difference between life and death sometimes.

3. About your spell, it looks alright. Here, have my take on it:
Plasma Ball
Evocation [Fire, Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

Upon completion of the incantation of this spell, a sphere of white-hot plasma pulled from the sun itself hurtles forth and strikes the target. This explosion deals 1d6 fire damage/two levels, up to a maximum of 7d6. It also deals 1d6 force damage/two levels, up to a maximum of 7d6 as well. A Reflex save applies to the fire damage only. The force damage cannot be reduced by any means.

Further, any creature that fails its save is knocked back 5 ft from the source of the explosion and falls prone in its square.

There, now it's a passably good evocation. Against rogues and other high-Ref targets, it still has some game (but not much really, 7d6 isn't that much at level 14), and the knockback effect really can hurt if you place the attack well.