PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Eberron: "Quatl? QUAATLLL!"

Leliel
2009-09-13, 01:41 PM
Anyway, bad jokes aside...

I just realized how much Eberron lends itself to a setting similar to Metal Gear Solid (no one's really a true hero or truly evil, you can't take five steps before running into a conspiracy), and given the themes of coming war that is nearly impossible to avert, I realized that all I have to do is add walking tanks and hammy acting and you've got a good springboard into a stealth-action-with-lots-of-cutscenes game.

So, the idea is that the PCs are a FOXHOUND-analog group of soldiers-a squad of people, each with a unique talent-that gets thrust into a Breland-sponsored mission that turns out to be the exact opposite of routine. After clearing out the traditional superpowered terrorists and growing to really doubt the so-called purity of the nation, they end up having to go rouge themselves to stop the schemes of both the Five Nations in order to save them, and the mysterious Vulcan Hunters, part-Warforged monstrosities who have lost their humanity in the name of greater battlefield control-and are looking for recompense.

And the guy the Five Nations send to bring the PCs back in line? Evil Solid Snake analog.

The PCs are now permitted to run in terror.

So, good, basic idea?

Now to get the DM experience before PHB3 comes out-and everyone wants to play Riedran Psycho Mantis.

Mando Knight
2009-09-13, 02:07 PM
Now to get the DM experience before PHB3 comes out-and everyone wants to play Riedran Psycho Mantis.

So, you like to play D&D 4E, huh?

...Will they get bonus items for defeating their opponents non-lethally?

SurlySeraph
2009-09-13, 02:08 PM
Excellent idea.

jiriku
2009-09-13, 02:28 PM
Great basic idea!

I smell warforged titan....

NPCMook
2009-09-13, 03:53 PM
You gotta stop them from building the War-Forged

This could be comically bad, but awesome at the same time

chiasaur11
2009-09-13, 04:12 PM
As I am an individual of learning and upperclassism, I do not see the similarities.

Instead, my brain responds with

"A bomb JC!"

"A bomb?"

or possibly "What a shame".

kjones
2009-09-13, 04:52 PM
"This marked the beginning of the era known as the Last War."

Arakune
2009-09-13, 04:58 PM
Why make the Snake counterpart evil? Can't he be also controled by the nations like the PCs once where?

dragoonsgone
2009-09-13, 06:09 PM
So, you like to play D&D 4E, huh?

...Will they get bonus items for defeating their opponents non-lethally?

Well its very easy to defeat someone non-lethally. Just say so when you reduce to 0 HP. Though it would be funny to see everyone have chloroform cloths.

Fishy
2009-09-13, 07:42 PM
Mandatory:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/Willowhugger/Shadowfast/motivator2113042.jpg

Leliel
2009-09-13, 08:06 PM
Why make the Snake counterpart evil? Can't he be also controled by the nations like the PCs once where?

Because he knows about how he's being controlled, and doesn't care.

The man would cause another Mourning in the service of the Five.

KillianHawkeye
2009-09-14, 05:48 AM
they end up having to go rouge themselves

Perhaps I am missing something, but how does the liberal application of rouge have any affect on the schemes of corrupt nations? Are they going to play dress-up? A Trojan tea party, perhaps? Or will they be impersonating The Joker? :smallamused:

Kol Korran
2009-09-14, 10:49 AM
i just wanted to say i like the idea... if i may add?
the first story arch takes place still in the last war, very close to the end of it. the party are sent on a mission to Cyre, along with other squad that are sent to other locations. it'sa disturbing mission, that makes no sense. but on extraction, something goes amiss- the Mourning happens.
the party might then think it may have been the work of the other teams, or some other conspiracy (Eberron and metal gear are good at those). as someone tries to "dispose" of them, they escape, and maybe let themselves be accounted as victims of the mourning.
from then on, investigation occurs. perhaps cullminating at the treaty at thornehold?

just my idea. good idea nontheless. hey, and maybe they could ally with the lord of blades? that would be a first...
Kol.

Fishy
2009-09-14, 10:52 AM
Kol Korran: You can't do that, you're causing a TIME PARADOX!

Kol Korran
2009-09-14, 11:20 AM
fishy: what time paradox? try to reasonably make sure of the the following, and all is ok:
1) the PCs don't know and can't stop the mourning.
2) the PCs have a good reason to either be out of Cyre when the mourning happens, or somehow have means to survive the mourning.
3) the nations decide to end the war, and decide to do it in Thronehold, some time after the mourning (doesn't have to be 2 years)

even if those are compromised, the game can continue, history will just take a few different turns then written, that's all. it's a game- it's ours to tweak and change, the established timeline is nice, but not compulsory.

i've played something similar up to the meet at thronehold (the characters were cyrians), and it went spectacular! just make sure you know how much warforged cost. PCs want to buy them...

Kol.