Dragon Elite
2009-09-13, 03:37 PM
Nature's Gift
Transmutation
Level: Drd 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 5 min.
Range: Touch
Duration: Instantaneous, permanent (see text)
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

You draw a circle on the ground, and chant towards the cowering animal in the center. It grows stronger, and more agile.
Roll a two d% on the table below to see what happens. The animal gains all the traits you roll (Reroll any repeats). These traits are permanent until the creature is killed.

{table=head]Roll | Result
1-10 | +1 Natural armor, 1d8 bite
11-20 | +2 Str, Dex, and Con
21-25 | 20 fly speed & +10 land speed
26-30 | +3 natural armor
31-40 | 2 1d6 claws
40-50 | 1d4 Stinger (DC 17 Fort. Poison 1d4 Con)
51-60 | Creature gets +2 Int, Wis and Cha
61-75 | Creature gets +4 Dex and +2 Int
76-97 | Creature gets +30 land speed
98-99 | Roll twice
100 | Roll 3 times[/table]

Nature's Blessing
Transmutation
Level: Dru/Rang 3
Casting Time: 10 min.
Target: Willing animal

1-10 | +2 Natural armor, 1d8 bite
21-25 | +2 Int, Wis, and Cha
26-30 | +6 total to stats, creator's choice
31-40 | 40 fly speed & +10 land speed
40-50 | +3 natural armor
51-75 | 2 1d6 claws
76-98 | 1d6 Stinger (DC 19 Fort. Poison 1d6 Con)
99 | Roll twice

--------------

I need help!

The Neoclassic
2009-09-13, 04:03 PM
OK, this has potential, but frankly it has a lot that needs to be cleared up.

Mutation I

Not a particularly creative name. Might I suggest "Animal Augmentation" or "Nature's Blessing" or something? OK, neither of those is fantastic either, but you see my point.

Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Casting Time: 5 min.

First of all, you need to specify target. One willing creature? One animal? Additionally, this should probably have a saving throw: Fortitude negates (harmless) or such. From looking at the abilities granted, I don't think this is balanced for a first level spell either.

Why is this a Sor/Wiz spell? This seems it'd make far more sense for druids and rangers.

You engrave a circle on the ground, and chant towards the cowering aniimal in the center. It grows stronger, and a spark of intelligence is in its eyes.

Engraving is something done to metal generally. One doesn't "engrave" anything into the ground. Do you mean "You draw a circle with your finger in the dirt" or "You trace a 5' circle around the animal with your finger"? Does anything keep the animal in the center during the casting time? What happens if the animal flees while the spell is being cast? You describe the animal as being afraid; it only makes sense that it'd try to escape. Finally, you mention a spark of intelligence... but all the abilities below are merely martial advantages; most have nothing to do with increased intellect of the animal.

Roll a two d% on the table below to see what happens. The animal gains all the traits you roll (Reroll any repeats). These traits are permanent until the creature is killed.

1-10 | +1 Natural armor, 1d8 bite
21-25 | 20 fly speed & +10 land speed
26-30 | +3 natural armor
31-40 | 2 1d6 claws
40-50 | 1d4 Stinger (DC 17 Fort. Poison 1d4 Con)
51-75 | +4 total to stats, creator's choice
76-98 | Mage hand at will
99 | Magic missile 3/day
100 | Roll 3 times

Giving an animal a first level spell as a spell-like ability three times per day, or even a zero-level spell at will, is way too overpowered. Yes, I realize the probability is low, but I really recommend against this. Honestly, all of these abilities, since they're permanent and could be great assets to, say, an animal companion. Second or third level, plus a material component cost, would be necessary to make this a viable, balanced spell.

Silverscale
2009-09-14, 11:06 AM
Perhaps something more like this

Nature's Blessing
Transmutation
Level: Dru/Rang 3
Casting Time: 10 min.
Target: Willing animal

1-10 | +2 Natural armor, 1d8 bite
21-25 | +2 Int, Wis, and Cha
26-30 | +6 total to stats, creator's choice
31-40 | 40 fly speed & +10 land speed
40-50 | +3 natural armor
51-75 | 2 1d6 claws
76-98 | 1d6 Stinger (DC 19 Fort. Poison 1d6 Con)
99 | Roll twice

--------------

That avoids giving animals spell like abilities, gives the option to raise mental stats, and still is a great boon to animal companions.

Note: giving an animal a stinger seems kinda strange to me but I can't think of anything to put in it's place.

Lysander
2009-09-14, 11:11 AM
This should definitely have an xp cost like Awaken does. Maybe to limit its power say it can only alter creatures with less than a certain number of hitdice? Or scale the xp cost so the cost is based on how many HD it has? Making a flying pet mouse is one thing, giving your mount a stinger and super strength is another. Also maybe say that these benefits cannot be applied towards a familiar, animal companion or special mount, just the way that Waken can't be used on those.