PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Custom Spell: Lesser Forbiddance

Chrizzt
2009-09-13, 04:27 PM
Hi there, folks!

I'm looking for a way to make a certain tower less easy to intrude. However, the spell Forbiddance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forbiddance.htm) is too high in level and cost to make it feasible in this case.

In the Adventure "Lord of the Iron Fortress" a cleric named Ignitius is mentioned, who cast some "Lesser Forbiddance" in order to make a place secure. Apparently, those effects are without the part that damages creatures of an alignment different from yours.

Now I wonder, which level and cost that spell should have, as it is not given in the book nor anywhere else.

It's basic powers (preventing interplanar intrusion, preferably with the password option) should still be the same. I could imagine, though, lowering its Area from "60 feet cube / level" to "10 feet cube / level" and its range from medium to small (not that that would matter much).

What Spell Level would you assign to such a spell? Level 5? Level 4? What about the component cost? Would you change it?

Edit:
Whoops, I just noticed there's also a home-brew design section on this forum. Perhaps I have therefore posted it in the wrong section. I apologise for any inconveniences due to this.

jiriku
2009-09-13, 04:34 PM
Level 5 if you eliminate the damage, level 4 if you also reduce the area of effect. Be mindful of the increase to cost if you reduce the area, as this spell has an expensive material component, and you'll need to cast it more times to cover the same area if you reduce the size of the effect. Although you could reasonably reduce the cost to account for the reduce WBL of a 7th level caster as opposed to an 11th level caster. I'd suggest reducing the cost by 1/3 for the 5th level version or 2/3 for the 4th level version described above.

Chrizzt
2009-09-15, 03:42 AM
Thank you for your nice counsil!