PDA

View Full Version : Force of nature

Dragon Elite
2009-09-13, 06:18 PM
Force of Nature

A humanoid with vines flowing through it's body stands in front of you. It makes an animal call. It seems to make the forest shine.
Forces of nature have died defending a forest. They are granted supernatural powers and help the forest live.
Size/Type: Medium Aberration
Hit Dice: 2d8-2 (7 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 feet, 30 feet fly
Armor Class: 15, touch 13, flat-footed 12 (+3 dex, +2 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/0
Attack: Punch (1d4-1)
Full Attack: Punch (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Mind thrust, Grease, Psionic Charm
Special Qualities: Call
Saves: Fort -1, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 16, Con 8, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Concentration +4, Spell craft +4, Psicraft +3
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or Group (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Double
Alignment: TN
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: —

Mind Thrust: A Force of Nature may use mind thrust 1/day

Psionic Grease: A Force of Nature may use psionic grease 2/day

Psionic Charm: A Force of Nature may use psionic charm 1/day

The above abilities are spell-like abilities.
Call: 1/day, a Force of Nature can call any animal that lives in the surrounding terrain to him. It will obey him for 1 day.

Combat
it will negotiate first, and run away if to far in.
1st Round: Call
2nd Round: Charm an opponent
3rd Round: Grease opponents
4th Round: Mind thrust on a standing opponent
5th round: Grease again.

-------------
Help me please!

DrakebloodIV
2009-09-13, 06:28 PM
As far as Mind Thrust, Grease and Psyonic charm go you might wanna explain wether they're spells or spell like abilities and the number of uses per day.

Dragon Elite
2009-09-13, 06:37 PM
Force of Nature
Mind Thrust: A Force of Nature may use mind thrust 1/day

Psionic Grease: A Force of Nature may use psionic grease 2/day

Psionic Charm: A Force of Nature may use psionic charm 1/day

Is it not obvious the times per day? (No offense)

The Neoclassic
2009-09-13, 06:39 PM
Good idea, but needs tweaking. Don't be discouraged; I'm just nitpicky. :smallsmile:

A humanoid with vines flowing through it's body stands in front of you. It makes an animal call. It seems to make the forest shine.

First off, "its" is what you're looking for here. "It's" means "it is", which isn't your intention. Also, you describe it as a humanoid... but its type is aberration. Perhaps...

In front of you stands a creature with a vaguely humanoid shape, but vines twisted around its body and even, it seems, flowing through said body. It cries out, more eerie than a wolf's howl, but more beautiful than a songbird. Somehow, it simply seems in tune with the forest around it, as if their lifeforces were intimately connected.

That might not be the sort of animal call you're looking for, but a more precise description would be better. I notice that your writing tends to be vague and not particularly evocative; do you perhaps have a vivid image in your head, but trouble putting it down in words?

Forces of nature have died defending a forest. They are granted supernatural powers and help the forest live.

This isn't particularly clear. By forces of nature, do you mean powerful plants or animals? Druids or rangers? Fey? Are these new creatures made from the bodies or the spirit of said dead forces of nature? How do they help the forest live? Do they protect it, or is it a symbiotic life force sort of thing?

Combat
1st Round: Call
2nd Round: Charm an opponent
3rd Round: Grease opponents
4th Round: Mind thrust on a standing opponent
5th round: Grease again.

You probably should specify that this is their typical strategy; without any explanation, it looks like the creature isn't adaptable and merely follows a set pattern. How do their tactics change based on the number, type, and powers of their foe(s)?

Zaydos
2009-09-13, 06:45 PM
With 7 hp and 13 AC they won't have much of a chance to do something against a party of 4 3rd level adventurers. If they are in reach a fighter or barbarian will one hit them, and even if they aren't a wizard, sorcerer, or warlock will blast them. With a +2 Init it might really be in trouble or even dead without getting to do anything, although if it manages to get off it's call ability then it gets a dire wolf with it adding another CR 3.

Dragon Elite
2009-09-13, 06:56 PM
I'm going to give it Improved initiative. And it can just fly out of the fighters reach.

Zaydos
2009-09-13, 07:14 PM
Actually looking at its Dex and feats it should have +7 Init. Even if it can stay out of the fighter's reach it still like it will be a little frail with 7 hp, but it should survive a hit from a rogue... then again I swap Alertness for Toughness on my goblins (it makes the players' eyes bulge when they survive 6 damage).

pyrefiend
2009-09-13, 09:07 PM
Plant is just a creature type, not a subtype.

Dragon Elite
2009-09-13, 09:21 PM
Oops. I changed the subtype.

Yora
2009-09-14, 03:27 AM
The ability scores are all very low. Dryads have the same CR and much better abilities.