PDA

View Full Version : Best 3.5 Rogue Equips

rrexb
2009-09-13, 07:58 PM
Hey,

I'm trying to max out my Rogue5/Swashbuckler1/Assassin1 with some cool equipment I will be leveling fast and wondering what stuff I should take. I am trying to be ready for any situation and want to be the best fighter on the field. What kind of stuff should I get I am looking for everything from weapons and armor to tools and magic stuff. Any help is appreciated. Please note what book I can find it in, page would be helpful also.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-13, 07:59 PM
Wand of Gravestrike
Wand of Golemstrike
Wand of Vinestrike

If you want your precision-based damage to mean anything, these are needed.

Other than that, +dex is handy, anything that boosts your SA damage works.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-13, 08:16 PM
Bracers of Murder. Lets you reroll ones on your sneak attack for 8,000 gp

Raltar
2009-09-13, 08:22 PM
Demolition and Truedeath augment Crystals from the MIC. Better than the wands that allow you to sneak attack immune things like undead and constructs because if you get the best kind, they do even more awesome stuff.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-13, 08:28 PM
Demolition and Truedeath augment Crystals from the MIC. Better than the wands that allow you to sneak attack immune things like undead and constructs because if you get the best kind, they do even more awesome stuff.

They require wasting money on higher Enhancement Bonuses, though. And with Wand Sheaths, you shouldn't need to worry about the wands. Plus the wands allow you to use a full attack, wheras the crystals only affect one weapon, which handy if you duo-wield.

Raltar
2009-09-13, 08:30 PM
Yeah, but wands run out of charges, so you'll have to constantly be buying new ones.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-13, 08:33 PM
Yeah, but wands run out of charges, so you'll have to constantly be buying new ones.

At 750 a pop for 50 charges, it's not gonna be that expensive. Heck, in a typical campaign, even replacing ten of them is going to be cheaper than one of the Greater crystals you mentioned.

Korivan
2009-09-13, 08:35 PM
Blur strike, and precision strike (i think its called) for the ability to deny dex bonuses and deal another d6 damage. Eager is a good one too, draw as a free action, +2 initiative and damage in the first couple of rounds i think. All these are from MIC

Raltar
2009-09-13, 08:50 PM
At 750 a pop for 50 charges, it's not gonna be that expensive. Heck, in a typical campaign, even replacing ten of them is going to be cheaper than one of the Greater crystals you mentioned.

True. But I still say greater crystals are a better investment. The other benefits really make them worth it, in my opinion. Also, you might not have a chance to replace those wands in the middle of an adventure and you need to spend an action to cast the spell in advance, where as the you equip the crystal and go on your merry way, not having to worry about the spell not being active at all times. But...they are pretty expensive, and for a level 7 character, they would probably prove too expensive in the short term. I'm not even sure a level 7 could afford one anyway. But they should be on your list of things to get in the future regardless.

ericgrau
2009-09-13, 09:03 PM
At 7th level he's supposed to get 19,000gp, so even 8,000 is a large chunk. I'd get a little AC, some skill boosting armor enchantments, some masterwork weapons, some potions and/or wands and/or scrolls, a handy haversack, maybe +2 gloves of dex, any relevant masterwork tools, etc. Check out www.d20srd.org under equipment and magic items. 50 charges on a utility wand lasts practically forever. I mean, even if he uses 1 per encounter it won't run out until 4 levels later.

Here's an example setup:
+1 mithral shirt of silent moves (5 AC, 6 max dex to AC, +5 move silently, 4750 gp)
a masterwork weapon or two (300+ gp ea.)
+2 gloves of dexterity (4000 gp)
wand of invisibility (4500 gp)
+1 masterwork buckler (1165 gp, no armor check penalty means no nonproficiency penalty)
ring of protection +1 (2000 gp)
amulet of natural armor +1 (2000 gp)
thieves tools, any other tools you need, backpack, whetstone, bedroll, any food and water, etc.

Scout out ahead of the party with invisiblity or hiding (if you have cover). Take the first stab, get sneak attack + death attack. Win initiative, get sneak attack(s). Tumble in and flank, get more sneak attack. I put in a buckler over TWF b/c a fragile rogue will do more damage than TWF if he lasts longer in the fight. Plus that -2 with your already lousy BAB, and single attacks mean you don't actually double your hits. But if you plan on HiPs, greater invisibility, or another trick to sneak attack and yet stay safe, then you can TWF.

But that's all just an example setup. Feel free to liberally swap out equipment for other stuff. Get different scrolls/wands. Boost con instead of natural armor. TWF anyway. Pick a different skill boost on your armor or none at all. Use a cheesy yet affordable sneak attack boosting magic item soon to be posted by others. Whatever you want to do.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-13, 09:03 PM
True. But I still say greater crystals are a better investment. The other benefits really make them worth it, in my opinion. Also, you might not have a chance to replace those wands in the middle of an adventure and you need to spend an action to cast the spell in advance, where as the you equip the crystal and go on your merry way, not having to worry about the spell not being active at all times. But...they are pretty expensive, and for a level 7 character, they would probably prove too expensive in the short term. I'm not even sure a level 7 could afford one anyway. But they should be on your list of things to get in the future regardless.

Activating wand containing a spell whose casting time is a swift action is also a swift action. Most campaigns offer opportunities to restock on supplies. Assuming you use all 50 charges out of your wand in a campaign, which is doubtful unless every freekin' thing requires it.

Darrin
2009-09-13, 10:36 PM
What kind of stuff should I get I am looking for everything from weapons and armor to tools and magic stuff.

The two items that will help you completely dismantle any dungeon:

Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments (DMG, 4000 GP). Any non-magical item (including alchemical items) you could possibly need at your fingertips, just 10 minutes away.

Gloves of Object Reading (MIC, 3000 GP). Never worry about puzzles or traps again. Oh, some bizarre magical puzzle that must be solved to move on... how did the last owner get past it? Oh, deadly trap... how did the last owner disable it? Can't find a command word for a magic item... how did the last owner activate it? Need to drive the DM insane... oh look, this pile of copper pieces must have come from a much larger hoard, how about we examine every piece and see where the rest of the treasure might be found?

Yukitsu
2009-09-13, 10:48 PM
Things I find indespensable (as in, I tend to use them once per adventure)

150 ft silk rope with an adamantium dagger attached to the end and a grapple to the other.
One of every alchemical item in existance.
An extra set of auron masks, ghostblight and smoke sticks.
Mastercraft thieves tools,
5 foot long thieves spool (make disable device checks from 5 away)
Mirrored silver holy symbol
Mirrored silver unholy symbol
Fake signet rings of two noble families that you can pull off pretending to be
Disguise kit
camo suit
shadow silk sneaking suit
Fake pouch with a few coppers as a thieves lure
100 gp pearls, to get the wizard to ID the stuff you swipe
Sovereign glue
Universal solvent
Salve of slipperyness
Sack of flour
Caltrops
steel Marbles
Pre sharpened sticks coated in poison of your choice
Small adamantium shovel with a sharpened edge
fine wire
Haver sack to carry it all.

gorfnab
2009-09-14, 02:21 AM
Gauntlet of Infinite Blades (MIC) - daggers at will, very nice
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (ToM) - Hide in Plain Sight and other nice benefits
Rogue's Vest (MIC) - extra sneak attack damage
Ring of the Darkhidden (MIC) - invisible to things with Darkvision, this +Collar +Darkstalker feat is awesome
Circlet of Persuasion (DMG) - +3 to all cha skills, can be useful
Feather Token: Tree (DMG) - if you can't think of a use for this you're not trying hard enough

Curmudgeon
2009-09-14, 05:20 AM
Bracers of Murder. Lets you reroll ones on your sneak attack for 8,000 gp
Sorry, but that's overpriced. It duplicates a feat (Deadly Precision (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#deadlyPrecision)) that's only about 1/5 as good as Craven. Since most items granting feats go for 10,000 gp or less, this ability shouldn't be more than 2,000 gp. Unless you've also got Assassin levels and can take advantage of the boost to your death attack DC, you just won't be getting anywhere close to your money's worth from Bracers of Murder.

Roc Ness
2009-09-14, 05:31 AM
Just a question of curiosity.

When a feat from the Psionics handbook says general, does that mean all characters can take it (given that they fulfil the requirements)?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-14, 05:40 AM
When a feat from the Psionics handbook says general, does that mean all characters can take it (given that they fulfil the requirements)?
Yes, that's exactly what it means.

Burley
2009-09-14, 07:24 AM
Wand of Gravestrike
Wand of Golemstrike
Wand of Vinestrike

If you want your precision-based damage to mean anything, these are needed.

Other than that, +dex is handy, anything that boosts your SA damage works.

Isn't there an Assassin spell that lets you sneak attack things normally immune to it? Healer's Eye, or something? I just remember the picture of Arty the Assassin lookin' into some fiend's guts...

Curmudgeon
2009-09-14, 07:33 AM
Isn't there an Assassin spell that lets you sneak attack things normally immune to it? Healer's Eye, or something?
Not that I know of. There's Sniper's Eye (Assassin 4), which lets you sneak attack at up to 60, and make a ranged death attack. No advantage to those immune to sneak attacks.

Burley
2009-09-14, 08:09 AM
Look in Complete Mage. Or, maybe Complete Scoundrel. I know it's a Cleric and Assassin spell, and I think it's a level 1 spell.
I may have the effects wrong, though...

piemaester
2010-07-04, 02:41 PM
Rod of Ropes form Complete Scoundral is nice. Gotten me out of quite a few situations.

herrhauptmann
2010-07-04, 04:54 PM
They require wasting money on higher Enhancement Bonuses, though. And with Wand Sheaths, you shouldn't need to worry about the wands. Plus the wands allow you to use a full attack, wheras the crystals only affect one weapon, which handy if you duo-wield.

The rogue has 3 problems to overcome in dealing his precision damage.
1)Getting a situation where you can deal precision
2)Enemy is immune
3)Hitting a high enough AC that you can reliably perform your precision damage. This gets worse if the rogue is TWF, particularly on iteratives.
Only being able to hit on a roll of 17 or better is terrible odds. So of all characters, the precision damage ones benefit the most from purchasing a higher bonus weapon, rather than stacking enchantments on it. So that's money which is less wasted than if the party fighter wanted to do the same.

Yes, you can have a party member cast Greater Magic weapon to get those extra bonuses, but you shouldn't rely on another character for yours to be effective. You can get an item to UMD the spell, but that limits your action economy, and is one more consumable item to replace.

At the given level, a +3 weapon and the greater augment crystal is rather too expensive, but it's a good thing to start working towards if you can expect the game to continue a long time.

Siosilvar
2010-07-04, 04:58 PM
You two are about 9 months past thread necromancy. See the "2009" in the top left corner of the other posts?
Forum Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=30&a=1)
Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from “the dead.” If a thread has fallen to page three and hasn’t been posted in for a month and a half, don’t post to it. Start a new topic if you want to discuss the subject.

nedz
2010-07-04, 05:00 PM
If you are going with wands why not Wand of Wraithstrike ?

Roland St. Jude
2010-07-04, 07:51 PM
You two are about 9 months past thread necromancy. See the "2009" in the top left corner of the other posts?
Forum Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=30&a=1)

Sheriff: Indeed.