PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Chipuus. (Please Critique)

Pika...
2009-09-13, 09:28 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/Unique%20Races/ChipuusbetterJEP.jpg

Chipuus are a relatively new race on Origin. Their history began merely centuries ago during the Great Human Wars. Like a few other similar races, they were once the familiars of divine casters such as adepts. During the Great Human Wars many familiars were "freed" from their companion (mostly Humans) when the companion either died, purposefully severed the link due to the madness in the case of the Humans, or the familiar itself severed the link and abandoned the individual. As all familiars keep their improved abilities once a master passes or the link is severed, some found others of their species and formed communities.

Within various forests on Origin chipmunk ex-familiars managed to find each other and form breeding pairs, and even small clans. These have since evolved into full settlements with an entire new culture taking form.

Alignments:
Chipuus to not learn toward any specific alignment as a whole.

Relations with other races:
Elves
Although Chipuus do not think badly of Elves, they are weary of them and do not trust them due to their close ties to the Kercpa.

Kercpa
Chipuus consider Kercpa their racial enemies. Though both races share a lot in common, and many have a hard time telling them apart, these facts are actually a great sources strife for the Chipuus.

Chipuus find it humiliating that throughout history chipmunks have been mistaken for little more than squirrels with less bush tails. To call a Chipuus a squirrel is a great insult, which most likely will result in the Chipuus attacking the "disrespectful" individual.

In addition, since both races share such similar physiology and forging habits (something Chipuus hate admitting) both races have begun to compete for desirable territory and foregoing locations. This has heightened the tension within both races.

However, Chipuus are aware the Kercpa have had many more years to increase in number, have many more fixed settlements (some older than the Chipuus race), and that the Elves support them in times of need. For these reasons they are careful with their actions, attempting to always plan one step ahead of the Kercpa to compensate for their overall lower numbers.

Trents
Although Treants have a long history of working with Elves and other woodl and creatures, which includes Kercpa, they have so far remained neutral to the Chipuus and Kercpa conflict.

Chipuus and Treants have begun forming a symbiotic relation of sorts. Some Treants have allowed Chipuus to make permanent settlements among their branches, and eve provide them with their various nuts or fruit. In return the Chipuus help protectthe Treant vigorously if it is ever threaten or in danger, right down to the last survivor without a second thought.

In addition, they will aid the Treant if it attacks someone spoiling the forest. Many a foe has wet himself in fear after spotting a tree of all things charging toward him as an army of armed and armored chipmunks scatter out from among it's branches.

Religion:
The Chipuus do not yet have a racial deity, and no existing deity has chosen to patron them. For these reasons the Chipuus rarely ever take upon the worship of a divine power.

The only regular exception to this has been Emmantiensien, god of the Treants. This mostly takes place in Chipuus settlements above the heads of Treants who preach to the Chipuus about their fey deity. Sometimes Treants manage to convert the entire community.

COMBAT
Like their squirrelish counterparts Chipuus spend much of their time in the trees monitoring the happenings in their forests, especially around their treetop communities. Those Chipuus who reside atop mobile Treants will attempt to scout ahead for if the Treant knows his desired destination.

Unlike Kercpa Chipuus do not keep hidden stashes of weapons and other supplies around their forest to prevent needing to return to their settlements. Instead Chipuus track down and memories the location of regularly used Kercpa stashes, and take what they need from those.

The biggest thing which sets Chipuus apart from their hated doppelgangers is that they overwhelmingly prefer up front combat compared to the Kercpa's "cowardly" sniper tactics. While for most tiny sizedraces this would be suicide, Chipuus have become experts at fighting much larger enemies.

They usually start by stealthily surrounding their much larger enemy for an ambush. When the moment is best the leader of the attack signals the attack to commence. At first the oldest and slowest begin a volley of arrows with stolen Kercpa bows from the treetops to serve as both an initial distraction and cover-fire for their allies. Then the bulk of the soldiers charge the opponent(s). Once they enter close range they attempt to overwhelm their prey with numbers. Using their manufactured weapons some slash at their heels attempting to bring the giants down, while others use their impressive climbing ability to climb the it meanwhile slashing at it or using their bite attack on it as they climb higher. Upon reaching it's head they do their best to either stab or claw out the giant's eyes.

Camouflage (Ex): A Chipuus can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain doesn't grant cover or concealment.

Favored Enemy (Kercpa) (Ex): A Chipuus gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against Kercpa. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against them.

At every 5th ECL these bonuses increase by +2.

Natural Attacks: A Chipuus has a natural Bite Attack which deals 1d3 points of damage.

Tiny But Fierce (Ex): Chipuus are exceptionally good at fighting much larger creatures. To reflect this at first ECL they receive the Underfoot Combat feat (from Races of the Wild) as a bonus feat even if they do not meet the requirements.

At ECL 7 the Chipuus receives the Confound The Big Folk feat (from Races of the Wild) as a bonus feat.

Skills: Chipuus have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. A Chipuus can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. A Chipuus uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Climb checks.

A Chipuus has a +4 bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

*A Chipuus has a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks when in forested areas.

Chipuus as Characters
A Chipuus character exchanges its 1 HD of monstrous humanoid for its first class level, so a 1st-level Chipuus rogue has a d6 Hit Die, a +0 base attack bonus, the base save bonuses of a rogue, and the rogue's skill points and class skills.

Chipuus have the following racial traits.
· -4 Strength, +8 Dexterity, +4 Constitution.
· Tiny size. +2 size bonus to Armor Class, +2 size bonus on attack rolls, +8 size bonus on Hide checks, -8 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits are 1/2 those of Medium characters.
· Monstrous Humanoid: As monstrous humanoids, Chipuus are proficient with all simple weapons, but they have no proficiency with any armor or shield.
· A Chipuus' base land speed is 20 feet. A Chipuus has a climb speed of 40 feet.
· Darkvision out to 60 feet.
· Favored Enemy: (Kercpa)
- Special Attacks (See Above): Natural Bite Attack which deals 1d3 points of damage.
· Special Qualities (see above): Camouflage, Tiny But Fierce.
· +2 racial bonus on all saving throws
· Racial Skills: Chipuus have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. A Chipuus can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. A Chipuus uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Climb checks. A Chipuus has a +4 bonus on Listen and Spot checks. *A Chipuus has a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks when in forested areas.
· Racial Feats: A Chipuus receives Underfoot Combat as a bonus feat at ECL 1, and receive Confound the Big Folk as a bonus feat at ECL 7.
· Automatic Languages: Sylvan, and Treant. Bonus Languages: Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Kercpa, Orc.
· Favored Class: Ranger.
· Level Adjustment: +3.

Pika...
2009-09-13, 09:35 PM
This race I based of the Kercpa race from 2nd edition, which was updated to 3.5 on Enworlds here:
http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=875

It all started because I ahve a new Kercpa PC in my games, and I was asking a friend on the phone for advice on what challenges to give it. He joking said "make the squirrels and the chipmunks have a terf war". Well, so it came to be...

Dragon Elite
2009-09-13, 09:44 PM
Wow. But why do they get +4 Con?

Debihuman
2009-09-13, 10:43 PM
Since chipmunks are even smaller than squirrels why aren't the Chipuus a size smaller than the Kercpa? They should be Diminutive.

I have no problem with the +4 Con because the Kercpa have that. These are similar.

Can you say "Redwall?" I thought so. :biggrin:

Debby

Pika...
2009-09-13, 11:20 PM
Wow. But why do they get +4 Con?

Did you mean "Wow" in a bad way, or in a good way? :smallbiggrin:

Since chipmunks are even smaller than squirrels why aren't the Chipuus a size smaller than the Kercpa? They should be Diminutive.

Really?!

I had no idea. Time to check and compare on Wikipedia...

Damn, as usual you are right. They seem to max out around the 10in range.

I am afraid this would make them truly unplayable. And the LA would be through the roof. :/

I have no problem with the +4 Con because the Kercpa have that. These are similar. /QUOTE]

You both mentioned the +4 Con. Is it bad? What is so wrong about it?

[QUOTE=Debihuman;6924118]
Can you say "Redwall?" I thought so. :biggrin:

Debby

LoL.

Ironically I am actually named after the hero of the first book.

Debihuman
2009-09-13, 11:35 PM
Nothing is wrong with the +4 Con. It offsets the -4 Str penalty. Usually though, this is done for balance. As you can see, there is almost no way these are really appropriate as PCs, unless you are running a Redwall game. In that case, the LAs aren't going to matter because every race will have them. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing them statted up as Diminutive creatures.

A number of years ago, I started reading the Redwall books. I enjoyed them immensely at first, but they became rather repetitive. That's the problem with most books geared toward dibbuns, er children. However, Brian Jacques wrote the best feast scenes I've ever read. I used to get hungry every time I read one of those scenes.

BTW, Are you named for Martin the Warrior or Matthias?

Debby

Pika...
2009-09-14, 12:05 AM
Nothing is wrong with the +4 Con. It offsets the -4 Str penalty. Usually though, this is done for balance. As you can see, there is almost no way these are really appropriate as PCs, unless you are running a Redwall game. In that case, the LAs aren't going to matter because every race will have them. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing them statted up as Diminutive creatures.

I see. Damn, so they are basically unusable?

Does it matter that my world/setting/cosmology is very low-magic?

A number of years ago, I started reading the Redwall books. I enjoyed them immensely at first, but they became rather repetitive. That's the problem with most books geared toward dibbuns, er children. However, Brian Jacques wrote the best feast scenes I've ever read. I used to get hungry every time I read one of those scenes.

Yeah, I stopped at a point myself. I tend to stop once all the original cast/characters are gone/burried/forgoten.Just like in movie sequel they are milked to rubbish.

BTW, Are you named for Martin the Warrior or Matthias?

Debby

Matthias. I took his name upon my twentieth birthday. Three years later and I am extremely happy with it.

Debihuman
2009-09-14, 12:26 AM
I see. Damn, so they are basically unusable?

Does it matter that my world/setting/cosmology is very low-magic?

I didn't say that they were unusuable but they probably aren't balance when compared to standard 3.5 PCs. Have you tried Human vs. Chipuus and see how it worked yet?

In your game, you decide what works and what doesn't. Playtest it and see how your players like it. PCs don't have to be exactly balanced but if you are running a party of X level, then you don't want one player who can do it all and hog all your time while the rest of the gamers just sits around eating cheetos and looking bored. If the the players are having fun then run with it.

I think the Chipuus vs. Kercpa are a great idea. If all your players are Chipuus so much the better, but I doubt that's the case.

Debby

Pika...
2009-09-14, 12:26 AM
Oops!

I completely forgot about their natural attack.

Updating the original post right now.

Pika...
2009-09-14, 12:43 AM
I didn't say that they were unusuable but they probably aren't balance when compared to standard 3.5 PCs. Have you tried Human vs. Chipuus and see how it worked yet?

In your game, you decide what works and what doesn't. Playtest it and see how your players like it. PCs don't have to be exactly balanced but if you are running a party of X level, then you don't want one player who can do it all and hog all your time while the rest of the gamers just sits around eating cheetos and looking bored. If the the players are having fun then run with it.

I think the Chipuus vs. Kercpa are a great idea. If all your players are Chipuus so much the better, but I doubt that's the case.

Debby

Thank you for the advice Debby.

Just curious, how do you "playtest" a homebrewed race? Just set it against one of my old archived PCs at random to see who would win?

Also, I might have something to worry about then. If you've read my thread on the roleplaying forum you might know that I already have a new player who has made a Kercpa PC for the coming session (next Sunday the 20th it seems), and has been wanting to roleplay a squirrel for some time. I was originally happy someone wanted to use material I had listed on my site (with proper credits of course), but now I am a bit worried.

p.s. I am glad you liked the Chipuus vs. Kercpa idea. I was trying to find some way to "challenge" the upcoming Kercpa PC, and as it says in my second post it snowballed into an entire race I spent the day on for fun.

Debihuman
2009-09-14, 05:55 AM
Just curious, how do you "playtest" a homebrewed race? Just set it against one of my old archived PCs at random to see who would win?

That's one way to do it. Actually you should find out what the appropriate CR is for a party of Chippus. Just have your players make up Chippus PCs and test them against Kercpa or other monster. On averge, the players should win the fight within 4 rounds and use 1/4 of their resources. If the fight is too easy the CR is too low; if the fight is too hard the CR is too high.

A single kercpa has a CR of 1. [Note: This may or may not be accurate since I'm not sure how well it has been playtested]. You might want try a monster with a CR that you trust.

Also, what is the Challenge Rating of the Chippus? If they have levels of NPC classes they probably have a CR equal to their character level. If they have levels in PC classes, they probably have a CR equal to their character level +1. That's simply a guess on my part. It could be +1 and +2 respectively.

You'll have to test it to be sure.

Also, you have Kercpa when you should have Chippus here I bolded it for emphasis:

Chipuus as Characters
A Chipuus character exchanges its 1 HD of monstrous humanoid for its first class level, so a 1st-level Kercpa rogue has a d6 Hit Die, a +0 base attack bonus, the base save bonuses of a rogue, and the rogue's skill points and class skills.

Debby

Pika...
2009-09-16, 03:16 AM
That's one way to do it. Actually you should find out what the appropriate CR is for a party of Chippus. Just have your players make up Chippus PCs and test them against Kercpa or other monster. On averge, the players should win the fight within 4 rounds and use 1/4 of their resources. If the fight is too easy the CR is too low; if the fight is too hard the CR is too high.

A single kercpa has a CR of 1. [Note: This may or may not be accurate since I'm not sure how well it has been playtested]. You might want try a monster with a CR that you trust.

Also, what is the Challenge Rating of the Chippus? If they have levels of NPC classes they probably have a CR equal to their character level. If they have levels in PC classes, they probably have a CR equal to their character level +1. That's simply a guess on my part. It could be +1 and +2 respectively.

You'll have to test it to be sure.

Also, you have Kercpa when you should have Chippus here I bolded it for emphasis:

Debby

For a party of Chipuus? Sorry, I am a bit confused. I thought I was looking for an LA not a CR?

And thanks for the correction there. :smallredface:

Dragon Elite
2009-09-18, 08:43 AM
This sounds great. Please, no foot sneak attacks! :smallwink:

Debihuman
2009-09-18, 08:52 AM
For a party of Chipuus? Sorry, I am a bit confused. I thought I was looking for an LA not a CR?

And thanks for the correction there. :smallredface:

Level adjustment is not the same thing as an adjustment to a creature's Challenge Rating because of some special qualities it possesses. Challenge Rating reflects how difficult an opponent is to fight in a limited number of encounters. Level adjustment shows how powerful a creature is as a player character or cohort in campaign play.

When you playest a creature against PCs, you need to check CR level not LA.

Debby