PDA

View Full Version : Feat that Grants Class Skill?

Skjaldbakka
2009-09-13, 10:20 PM
I am looking for a feat I can take to gain an additional class skill. I know there is a feat that does this, but do not know what it is called or what book it is in. I think it might be Cosmopolitan, but I am not sure.

[D&D 3.5]

Zaq
2009-09-13, 10:27 PM
Offhand I can't think of any feats that give ANY skill as a class skill, but there are plenty of feats that give SPECIFIC skills as class skills. The various Apprentice feats from the DMG2 have this effect, and I know of City Slicker from Races of Destiny (which is very nice, because Disguise can be hard to get otherwise). If the skill you want is a ToB discipline skill (Tumble, Intimidate, Concentration, Balance, Sense Motive, Jump, Hide, or Diplomacy), you can use Martial Study to get it as a class skill, as well. Educated, from the Eberron Campaign Setting, gives you all Knowledge skills, and Knowledge Devotion gives a single Knowledge skill.

I'm sure there are others out there, but you may have to hunt for them.

What skill, specifically, do you want?

woodenbandman
2009-09-13, 10:34 PM
Able Learner can grant a skill as a class skill. You take the feat at first level as a human. Provided that one of your classes has the skill as a class skill, it is always a class skill, and it costs 1 point/rank.

quick_comment
2009-09-13, 10:35 PM
Able learner + a level of factotum gets you all skills as class skills

Skjaldbakka
2009-09-13, 10:42 PM
I'm looking for Use Magic Device, specifically.

Crow
2009-09-13, 10:44 PM
If you can afford a level of Human Paragon you can pick up a skill.

Darrin
2009-09-13, 10:46 PM
I'm looking for Use Magic Device, specifically.

Try Flexible Mind (Dragon #326) or Skill Knowledge (Unearthed Arcana p. 81).

Skjaldbakka
2009-09-13, 10:51 PM
I'm not playing human, so Human paragon is out of the question, but Skill Knowledge should work.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-09-13, 11:46 PM
There are 2 feats with the name Cosmopoloitan. One is in the forgotten realms Players Guide and it is not the one your looking for.

The other is in the Forgotten realms Campaign setting and it IS the one you want. "select one nonexclusive skill you do not have as a class skill. You gain a +2 on all checks with that skill an it is always considered a class skill for you"

DragoonWraith
2009-09-14, 12:08 AM
What's an "exclusive skill"? Never heard that phrase before...

Kylarra
2009-09-14, 12:19 AM
What's an "exclusive skill"? Never heard that phrase before...FRCS is 3.0 and for 3.0 had so-called exclusive skills that could only be purchased if you were of a class that had that skill as a class skill, one of which is UMD, so Cosmpolitan is useless here, even if it hadn't been formally errata'd by being reprinted in 3.5 book as something different.

Eldariel
2009-09-14, 12:32 AM
Apprentice: Spellcaster [DMGII] works.

taltamir
2009-09-14, 12:43 AM
ask your DM if "skill focus" can also grant that skill as a class skill. Every 3.5 revision rules I have seen, and most DM, do that by default.
Than you just take skill focus... plus some points to that skill AND it becomes a class skill, problem solved.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-14, 12:45 AM
What's an "exclusive skill"? Never heard that phrase before...

Autohypnosis, UPD, skills that require a specific class feature. It was a concept that was never carried over from 3.0. They just threw it out in 3.5.

dspeyer
2009-09-14, 12:59 AM
Try Skill Knowledge (Unearthed Arcana p. 81).

Skill Knowledge is part of the simplified (4eish) alternate skill system offered in UA. You cannot take the feat unless your game is using the system.

Apprentice spellcaster should work. Remember that it can only be taken at first level.

A thorough list of how to get class skills is at http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19860850/Alternative_ways_to_get_new_Class_skills

Thurbane
2009-09-14, 01:02 AM
The Skill Knowledge feat really isn't over powered to use outside of the skill system in UA. A feat to add 1 class skill shouldn't cause problems.

Person_Man
2009-09-14, 08:59 AM
For UMD, you have 4 options:

1) Take a level of a class that grants UMD.

2) Just invest in UMD cross-class. The DC's are fixed, so any class can reliably use it by high level, or mid levels if you have good Cha, or low levels if you have a good Cha and buy an item that boosts Cha checks or UMD checks. In particular, Marshals with Motive Charisma can reliably pull it off by ECL 4ish.

3) Arcane Schooling feat: You’re treated as having one level of one arcane class for the purpose of activating spell trigger items. This clears up about 70% of your UMD needs, without having to invest any Skill Points. Player’s Guide to Faerun pg 33.

4) Magic Device Attunement feat: If you successfully make a UMD check to use an item, you don’t have to make another one when using that item for the next 24 hours. You can only attune one item at a time. If you only have one or two wands that you want to use for some combo, this removes the need to invest heavily in UMD. Complete Mage pg 44.