PDA

View Full Version : 3.X Merits of Using the BoEF ~shudder~

Deth Muncher
2009-09-13, 11:05 PM
I shudder to even talk about this, for fear of incurring wrath of mods for discussing inappropriate topics, but I really do need your help. When I was telling my new group what books were and weren't allowed, I mentioned that the BoEF was amongst the "No. Nuh uh. Don't even ask." list. What did this make them do? Go and search out the book for themselves and look at it. And they liked what they saw. :/

See, here's my problem. I don't want to use the book. I just don't. I find it icky, and to be entirely honest, a little desperate. In fact, I actually said the following, which I will spoiler for decency:
Look, half of you have significant others. Why have roleplay sex? Why not just ACTUALLY have sex with the person?
I haven't really looked through the book (mostly due to happening upon horrible horrible pictures), so I don't have any knowledge of anything in it other than random bits and pieces. I do, however, understand it to be intended for a mature audience - and I mean that in the "mature of thought" not the "mature of age" variety. Everyone in the group is legally old enough to view the contents, but are they mature enough? I don't think so. I think it's pretty much going to just degenerating into trying to get the paladin to bathe with enchanted soaps. O_o

Anyway, back to the real question: Does the book have anything of merit which could be brought to a game and not completely make the game switch focus from plot to sex?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-13, 11:09 PM
Alternative slots for items such as rings.

Kylarra
2009-09-13, 11:11 PM
Tell them "that's great, but it's still not allowed in my campaigns."

OT: I believe there's also an overpowered caster prestige class, but I don't remember specifics

Mystic Muse
2009-09-13, 11:12 PM

this is as dirty as I think it is isn't it?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-13, 11:14 PM
Toes. And earrings.

Deth Muncher
2009-09-13, 11:15 PM
Tell them "that's great, but it's still not allowed in my campaigns."

I keep telling them that! They're adamant that they want stuff from it though. I hate to be a jerk and threaten to bump them from the group if they persist, but really? It's getting on my nerves.

this is as dirty as I think it is isn't it?

Likely.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-13, 11:17 PM
tell them "no it weirds me out, it takes the game a place I'd rather not go and it shouldn't be necessary to make the game good. If you guys really want this somebody else is going to have to run the game because I'm not going there."

Faleldir
2009-09-13, 11:19 PM
Because WOTC still hasn't provided enough rules for how babby is formed. Is it exactly like rolling a new character, or do its parents influence its ability scores?

Shpadoinkle
2009-09-13, 11:20 PM
I keep telling them that! They're adamant that they want stuff from it though. I hate to be a jerk and threaten to bump them from the group if they persist, but really? It's getting on my nerves.

I'd respond to pretty much any request to include it with "Not happening."

If they present arguments about why it should be used, I'd say "That's nice. Still not happening."

If they try to use the material in it anyway, it would be met with "No, you don't/That doesn't happen, because we're not using the BoEF. Please stop."

If you REALLY don't want to use it, you're going to have to be at least as stubborn as the rest of them put together.

Kylarra
2009-09-13, 11:21 PM
Tell them too bad. :smalltongue:

Seriously, they're being jerks for pushing on an issue you've already stated you're not comfortable with.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-09-13, 11:23 PM
Toes. And earrings.

Nice save. I nearly had to apply the good old Brain Bleach (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrainBleach)

herrhauptmann
2009-09-13, 11:35 PM
Want that cloak of charisma, but don't want to give up your cloak of resistance? And you can't afford to pay to have stacked enchantments?

Well, BoEF has a new item slot that allows you to gain your charisma bonus, AND keep your cloak of resistance. :) Just call it 'boxers of charisma' and you won't need the bleach.

There's a prestige class or 3 which grants you better casting if you're able to go all night long, the night before.

As a downside, there's the 7th stat. Give tehm a normal point buy, and watch them weep as they try to distribute those points among 7 stats instead of 6.

If they really want to use BoEF, bear with it for a session, and ensure each one pays a nightworker for some fun. Then roll to see which diseases they get. (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=951)

Soras Teva Gee
2009-09-13, 11:59 PM
As a downside, there's the 7th stat. Give tehm a normal point buy, and watch them weep as they try to distribute those points among 7 stats instead of 6.

That's why the book tells you to add 13 points to account for that...

herrhauptmann
2009-09-14, 12:06 AM
That's why the book tells you to add 13 points to account for that...

I know, but the DM is the final say on the pointbuy.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-14, 12:08 AM
Muhuhahaha.

Godskook
2009-09-14, 12:15 AM
There's more than one way to deal with this. (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=951)

Mystic Muse
2009-09-14, 12:17 AM
do I want to know this seventh stat?

Jergmo
2009-09-14, 12:21 AM
Yeah, if you don't feel comfortable with ERP, fade to black. They might not even intend to do that, y'know? It's generally accepted in my campaign world that stuff from the BoEF goes on, folks just don't hear about it because they're too busy doing what they're doing to hang out with depraved wizards in the Red Light District. And I had to give my Goddess of Love some domains, eh? There are actually a few nifty buff spells from the BoEF that aren't necessarily erotic. I think there was one that gave you and an ally a bonus to saves so long as you were within whatever distance of each other.

Edit: And yeah, I've been wondering about forming babby as well. I heard something about parental attributes affecting offspring's attributes, but I never saw it. It'd be kinda cool for statting out the children of significant NPC's.

Kylarra
2009-09-14, 12:22 AM
do I want to know this seventh stat?
Appearance.

Jalor
2009-09-14, 12:24 AM
There's this cool 3-level PrC for Diviners that's not designed with porking in mind, although it's flavored as a magical voyeur. Because what nerdy teenage Wizard hasn't snuck into the girls' locker room with Invisibility?

Jergmo
2009-09-14, 12:24 AM
There's this cool 3-level PrC for Diviners that's not designed with porking in mind, although it's flavored as a magical voyeur. Because what nerdy teenage Wizard hasn't snuck into the girls' locker room with Invisibility?

While having every cantrip prepared as Grope.

taltamir
2009-09-14, 12:30 AM
Is this a different name for the blue magic book, or did they actually publish more than one sex based book?

have they actually made any SPECIFIC requests for content? (And were those reasonable / unreasonable?) Or just insisted on using the entire book?

Regardless, the problem really is that the DM has to roleplay NPCs, and this can get inappropriate really fast when roleplaying sex between the NPC and the PC (aka DM and character)... I read the blue magic book cover to cover, it was awesome and I really loved it... BUT, I will be actually opposed to it as both a player OR a DM depending on the people involved because of that reason exactly.
I am not quite sure what is worse, roleplaying adult situation with a DM of my gender, or the opposite gender.

And the example of dealing it is gonna be as bad an idea as forcing a kid to smoke a pack of cigarettes because you cough him smoking (been observed to increase likelihood of them becoming a smoker). Sure, your PC gets a nasty STD... he goes to the cleric... pays some gold, and gets cured... now he is spiffy fresh again... you know what he will do next? he will get some method of disease immunity and get back in the game. Worse, he now has precedent of you allowing such things.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-14, 12:36 AM
First off, ignore the pictures. I ended up tracking down a PDF and converting it to text-only, but the pictures are the worst thing in there.

That said, I don't think you should use the mechanics from the book. They're just as balanced and well-thought out as anything from an official WotC source, meaning that the power ranges from 'useless' to 'god'. Rather, you should read the book, think about it, and then keep the issues it raises in the back of your mind. It's the only source IIRC to figure out any sort of consequences for Polymorph+pregnancy. Sex will come up in almost any game to some degree, and the book at least gives you an idea of how to handle it and the attendant effects.

kamikasei
2009-09-14, 02:44 AM
When I was telling my new group what books were and weren't allowed, I mentioned that the BoEF was amongst the "No. Nuh uh. Don't even ask." list. What did this make them do? Go and search out the book for themselves and look at it. And they liked what they saw. :/

"What is your fascination with my Forbidden Closet of Mystery?"

Sounds to me like your players are probably just messing with you, at least in part.

I agree with Sstoopidtallkid. I bought the book in part because I'd heard its treatment of pregnancy, interspecies mating and fertility, and the sexual and reproductive habits of various races to be a useful resource or starting point in worldbuilding. The actual mechanics for most of the book, though, are fairly blah; either "sexy" versions of fairly standard items or spells, or variously crap or broken classes and feats. And the art is indeed not the best.

As to your group: well, it's a third-party book without much in the way of useful mechanics to import. You as DM have to be able to say what resources you're allowing for a game. Sexual content is a delicate issue at many tables for many obvious reasons and you as DM also have to be able to say that there are certain topics you're just not willing to go in to in your game. Most likely I expect your group will accept this once the amusement of making you blush wanes.

Want that cloak of charisma, but don't want to give up your cloak of resistance? And you can't afford to pay to have stacked enchantments?

...then use the Magic Item Compendium rules for stacking such enhancements without added cost!

taltamir
2009-09-14, 02:52 AM
i am really curious as to what they actually want to import...
Ask them "are you saying you want to have roleplay cybersex with me, or that you want to bone a hooker in game and have me roll up on an STD and pregnancy chart?"

You could always just make up some of your OWN rules or suggest to them "freeform treatment" of adult situation as they come... aka, if two of the players are a couple and want to try and get pregnant, they can, without consulting a sourcebook made by people who have probably never had a significant other or a firm grasp on biology.

Lyndworm
2009-09-14, 02:52 AM
I own the Book of Erotic Fantasy, and happen to think of it as rather useful. It has information on the courting and mating habits of several races, and even the potential for and viability of cross-breeds (including some that have no stats so far). In addition, it has a few semi-interesting base classes and a few of the PrC's are... OK. A bunch of the new spells are actually OK, and the alternate item slots range from cool to disturbing. If it weren't for all of those horribly doctored images, it would actually be a good book. It's about one point below mediocre, with them.

PhoenixRivers
2009-09-14, 03:42 AM
Usually, I just go with,

"The tone and theme of the book don't fit the theme of the campaign I'd like to run, and would create a lot of extra work for me. Can you justify why it's worth making this a lot harder for me? What does it really bring that our gaming table needs?"

or

"I understand you like it, but I'm not allowing 3rd party material, regardless of source. I don't feel that it's met the bar for playtesting."

I find that this gets rid of any "it's cool" or "it's got abilities that are really useful for my class" arguments, and brings it back to D&D as a team sport.

You could also relay, instead, that you understand where they're coming from, but it needs to be fun for everyone, and, with that book included, you'll be way too uncomfortable to have fun. You can sympathize, but you're not gonna do it. If they submit a character to your game, it's without BoEF. If they insist on BoEF, they can find a different person to run the game. You won't hold it against them, but you won't run that game. End of discussion.

I think the important thing is to be understanding, but be firm, at least when it comes to your comfort zone and boundaries.

Coidzor
2009-09-14, 03:50 AM
Well, I hope you've learned your lesson.

The BoEF is something which should not even be mentioned as biblio non grata in the first place.

ShadowFighter15
2009-09-14, 05:28 AM
I'd be happy to have some of the spells (namely the more utilitarian spells that adventurers would probably use once in a blue moon at best) exist in the game-world, but mainly because some of them would fit for a society with access to magic. And it always struck me as odd that there was a reverse gender curse, but not a spell that it may've been based on.

Then again; my perception of spell creation of any sort is mainly from the Elder Scrolls games, where players can create their own cursed items by using any spells they know (or have made themselves) so some DnD settings probably wouldn't need their curses to be based on similar-acting spells.

I do agree with the courting information and so on being helpful; if only to help flesh out backstories and such.

Emy
2009-09-14, 05:46 AM

It's unbalancing to simply throw on extra usable magic item slots though. You should force them to take the feat from Savage Species that lets you use more items if you have the anatomy to wear them.

Bhu
2009-09-14, 06:07 AM
I haven't really looked through the book (mostly due to happening upon horrible horrible pictures), so I don't have any knowledge of anything in it other than random bits and pieces.

Seriously? Am I the only one who looked at the pics and didn't even blink?

Honestly though, some part of them thinks some part of the book looks like fun. Either allow it or don't. If you do allow it, don't intentionally give them horrifying consequences for their actions because that will ruin any semblance of fun they may have. They'll end up resenting you for it, and thinking your just being a bastard for no reason. By the same token they shouldn't insist you do something you find uncomfortable. Try to find a middle ground and figure out what they want from the book and find someway of including it without having to include what makes you squick. Maybe they just want to play one of the races in it or something. You could easily allow that without having to worry about sex.

Weimann
2009-09-14, 06:17 AM
Well, as the DM, it is up to you to make the call here. If you don't want to use the book, then you just don't use the book. Remember, the game must be enjoyable for you as well, and if your players want to play with the BoEF (play with, hur hur), they can do that with some other DM.

It must be noted that you don't have to actually spell out ERP, though. Fading to black is advisable when it goers to a certain limit, and I promise you, your players will agree to this when they realize just how akward it can be to try to get some actual erotica going between 4 or 5 guys (or girls) who have known each other for some time. Suddenly going explicitly and honestly sexual will be a BIG turn, and I really think that they will realize this after the first attempt.

They could play it for laughs, of course, but that's not really what BoEF goes with. For sex from a funny perspective, see Nymphology - Blue Magic by some third party publisher. I personally find BoEF better for mechanics and concepts, but the spells and individual effects in Nymphology is overall on a higher scale.
Seriously? Am I the only one who looked at the pics and didn't even blink?No, you're not, but while not disturbing as such, they really should have kept with the animated established in the other books. That said, they weren't BAD pictures, as such. Just very few were actually hot.

Dhavaer
2009-09-14, 06:30 AM
It's unbalancing to simply throw on extra usable magic item slots though. You should force them to take the feat from Savage Species that lets you use more items if you have the anatomy to wear them.

They're alternate slots, not extra ones. Inserts, for example, are equivalent to a belt slot, IIRC.

kamikasei
2009-09-14, 06:42 AM
No, you're not, but while not disturbing as such, they really should have kept with the animated established in the other books. That said, they weren't BAD pictures, as such. Just very few were actually hot.

No... they're bad. They're pretty poor shops, and it's jarring. They're not "aaaagh I have seen nudity my eyes", or a picture book "best of things you don't google for", but they do make the book feel of lower quality than it would have with no art at all, IMO.

WeeFreeMen
2009-09-14, 09:08 AM
Toes. And earrings.

HAHAHA, that was priceless.
I dont know why Im laughing so hard bu thtat just made my day

P: Alternative slots for rings
A: Is this as dirty as I think it is?
P..Toes and Earrings.

hahahaaha

Anyway, yes Ive had the same problem with a group that outwardly look mature..sadly the people 5 years older than me chottled at the word (dare I say it) Penaz ;P

The book to me has no merit, it degrades the game, even a mature group if they could use it WHY? You have to be pretty hardcore into RP to even care to bring the book into the game..Just..No..

As for the OP's reason for not liking it...Seconded.. :smallwink:

Khatoblepas
2009-09-14, 10:29 AM
I personally find BoEF better for mechanics and concepts, but the spells and individual effects in Nymphology is overall on a higher scale.

I'd agree with this in terms of spells, Quick Undress is one of the best spells I've seen in that book. Ref save or lose everything except your hat,boots and jewelry - good against those heavily armored tanks or even people who wear shirts/robes that have a useful enchantment you want to get rid of.

As far as I can tell, the BoEF, however, is still pretty good. It touches on some really useful subjects (like what races can breed with whom), and some of the prestige classes are good. The Metaphysical Spellshaper and Voyeuristic Seer have already been mentioned, but to be honest, I like the Sacred Prostitute class, not because it's a whore, but because it seems really, really useful. Gain up to 3rd level spells, remove all sorts of conditions including feeblemindedness, curses, and ability damage, cure moderate wounds, and even cast a divination spell with a 90% success rate.

(not to mention, 1/day you have a chance to completely restore the wizard's spells).

Unfortunately, you do have to have sex with the target, but I'm sure you can fit it in a Sublime Chord build somewhere. It doesn't specify which Perform skill you have to take.

Friend Computer
2009-09-14, 12:10 PM
I think that the 3e conversion of the Book of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is better, and that is all the BoEF is really, except with worse rules and better spell-checking*.

Oh, and Carnal Knowledge doesn't have the failpix either.

The ONLY good thing from BoEF was the chart whowing what races could produce offspring. While I might not agree with the whole thing in my game, it does help when establishing family trees and aiming for consistency.

*literally, they just stole the rules from the netbook and sold them with bad pix...

The Glyphstone
2009-09-14, 12:19 PM
BoEF has one redeeming feature - the section of how other races love/reproduce.

Oozes:
One ooze.
Idiot hits ooze.
Two oozes.:smallcool:

The Neoclassic
2009-09-14, 12:23 PM
Is this a different name for the blue magic book, or did they actually publish more than one sex based book?

This is a different book entirely, actually. There are two or three different (relatively) well-known 3rd party supplements revolving around sexuality.

It has information on the courting and mating habits of several races, and even the potential for and viability of cross-breeds (including some that have no stats so far).

Yup. Honestly though, one could easily write up that fluff on one's own if desired. Nothing too ground-breaking: "Oh, yeah, elves are totally bi, and gnomes like to be playful about sex. Dwarves tend to be monogamous." Useful reference, I suppose, but I didn't find it superb either.

Roderick_BR
2009-09-14, 12:25 PM
One of the things I remember that would be a bit too powerful would be a stripping spell, though I don't remember if it was from BoEF, or some netbook before it. It was a zero level (or first level) spell that made the target lose his clothes. No save allowed. The kicker? Affects magical armor, also no save. So just strip away the BBeG's magic armor that makes him immune to most of your attacks, and gang up on him (pun intended). And the better, you don't lose it like when you cleave a weapon.

Talya
2009-09-14, 12:40 PM
There are a few good spells in the book that aren't even overtly sexual, as well as a nice, easy, racial behavior/outlook on sex section that might find use if you don't feel like thinking such things through yourself. I find most of the rules, however, center on rolling sex as an encounter, which I personally think is bloody silly.

It's not entirely without uses, but for the most part it just doesn't fit in most campaigns.

Aharon
2009-09-14, 12:40 PM
It also has a 3rd level bard spell that adds up to 5w4 to Charisma and, if used, Appearance, for 1 hour per level.

That was the only thing from the book I used... to be a better counterspeller with the help of a feat from a 3rd party book that adds casting stat to dispel checks :smalltongue:

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-14, 12:45 PM
Wow, a tasteful and polite topic about BoEF... possibly a CW Samurai which is effective...

Is this a Twilight Zone episode or something? :smallbiggrin:

No, seriously dude. As the GM, it is your game. You have Ultimate Veto rights. You don't want to include it, then don't. End of story. Tell them to drop it. If they want to play in a game with BoEF, they can run their own little game, but you can categorically state that you are not going to be running any game with that sourcebook.

Friend Computer
2009-09-14, 12:53 PM
Wow, a tasteful and polite topic about BoEF... possibly a CW Samurai which is effective...

Is this a Twilight Zone episode or something? :smallbiggrin:

Why is it so hard to imagine?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-14, 01:10 PM
Why is it so hard to imagine?

Every other BoEF thread on this board has been locked down for one reason or another. I can only hope this stays as civil and as... umm... politically correct... as it currently is.

Friend Computer
2009-09-14, 01:18 PM
Huh.

I don't get it, but ok then...

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-14, 01:21 PM
Huh.

I don't get it, but ok then...

Perhaps it is best if it stays that way. Stare into the Abyss, and it will stare back at you.

Besides, that information is restricted to Ultraviolet clearance :smallbiggrin: (sorry, with your nic, I couldn't help the reference)

taltamir
2009-09-14, 01:22 PM
And it always struck me as odd that there was a reverse gender curse

well, duh, how can it be anything but a curse?

Seriously? Am I the only one who looked at the pics and didn't even blink?
I also did not blink...

Also the alternate slot of a ring is the <another word for male-chicken> ring, THEIR wording on this one. There is no toering or earing as far as I remember.

arguskos
GitP has a very strict set of rules concerning several topics, such as explict sexuality and any level of discussion involving politics and/or religion. This topic could, at any time, mention something a touch over the line and get locked. It's impressive it hasn't yet, since these topics usually do.

kamikasei
Wow, a tasteful and polite topic about BoEF...

I don't think I've seen one otherwise in the several times the book's come up here that I've noticed.

Sarcasm: Are you suggesting some people actually want it?

...Yes?

Fax Celestis
2009-09-14, 01:24 PM
Every other BoEF thread on this board has been locked down for one reason or another. I can only hope this stays as civil and as... umm... politically correct... as it currently is.

YOU LIE LIKE A RUG.

The BoEF, if used in a mature fashion, is a halfway decent book. The Rake, Metaphysical Spellshaper, most of the LA +0 heritage templates, the monklke base class whose name escapes me, and a couple feats are all perfectly usable in a traditional game and would likely actually be used more frequently if they didn't have the unfortunate side effect of being printed in a book that 90% of D&D's playerbase has an unnatural aversion to.

taltamir
2009-09-14, 01:25 PM
I don't think I've seen one otherwise in the several times the book's come up here that I've noticed.

...Yes?

Facepalm, wrong type of sarcasm.
I should have said "sarcarsm" what do you mean it is always a curse...
Aka, OBVIOUSLY some people want it.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-14, 01:33 PM
YOU LIE LIKE A RUG.

I stand corrected.

Deth Muncher
2009-09-14, 08:25 PM
Well then! Lots of responses, and lots of fail for me not responding to the responses that responded to my...what was I doing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IKnowYouKnowIKnow)?

Anyway.

I actually went and browsed the book. There are a few good spells in there, sure. Probe is great. And before you go thinking horrible things, it's not THAT kind of probe. It's one that tells you each and every spell active on a person, as well as the CL of the spell. Probe is like...1st level spell? Jawsome. But the PCs aren't interested in that, no. They're more interested in (and I'm spoilering this purely for word usage, not graphic content) spells like Orgasmic Vibrations and stuff like the Soap of Horniness or whatever its called. >_< /facepalm. And that's the point, is they're NOT taking it seriously. I mean, yeah. We're all college kids. This kind of stuff is on our minds in one way or a another at...well, pretty much all times. But still. :/ I dunno. I might throw them a bone every once in a while, put a scroll of something handy. But really, I think I could deal with most of it like with Necromancy - decent people just don't do it. I mean, one character wants to play a courtesan (I told her she should play a Companion, a la Firefly, but neither of us know enough about the show to make THAT work), so I GUESS she has justification for wanting stuff? It's just bothersome. And plus, several of the people haven't played before. And the rest of them aren't super vets either, so I really don't think we need to be introducing new rules before people master the old. Which, I think, is what I'll tell them.

Kylarra
2009-09-14, 08:29 PM
Yeah, a focus on things like that is a very good reason to not allow the book, even if you were inclined to in the first place, unless you really want a Silly-R campaign.

taltamir
2009-09-14, 08:50 PM
I mean, one character wants to play a courtesan
Explain to her that playing a prostitute means:
1. not a dungeon delving type of adventure
2. basically her seducing NPCs, often for money, which happen to be played by YOU. Which is just all sorts of awkward (unless she is hitting on you / is your significant other).
3. Ask someone else in the group to DM the sexy adventures of sex and debauchery campaign that they want to play.

You are asking people on the forum for... suggestions on management of players and gameplay... this is NOT a gameplay issue, just as a spouse who gambles away all your shared property is not an economical issue.
What we have here is an issue of basic human interaction. You need to have a frank adult discussion with the others and discuss what your opinions are about sexuality, premarital sex, sex in regards to religion, and sex with violence. And what is it that each person actually EXPECT from such a game. Do they expect to go on a sexy adventure? do some of them expect it and others don't want it? you could very well just have a case of incompatible DM and players, or players incompatible with each other, it happens.

Tiki Snakes
2009-09-14, 09:10 PM
The BoEF does not bite, and is generally amusingly carefull about being both morally upstanding and relentlessly respectfull. With the right group, it could in my opinion aha, slot right in in such a way as to merely provide another layer of believability and verisimilitude to proceedings.

It could also, if you play the kind of game in which players don't get slapped for introducing bad/smutty puns, be pretty hilarious. Seriously now. Half way through the emperor's big speech - "join the dark side luke, your friends are sur-" [Luke casts Rapid Undressing! Reflex Save Fail! Dark Lord of the Nude! Roll a will save vs Blindness forever, Luke.]

Really, the book should not in and of itself affect proceedings too much, however. Because the campaign you are running, and the behaviour you are tolerating does not change. They chat up some barmaids, and they go off-screen. If they really like the BoEF stuff, maybe this gives them a class related benefit. *shrug*

If they start trying to get up to stuff that makes you uncomfortable, you've got the power to veto or simply gloss over, and really the BoEF doesn't actually, from what I've read, make any such behaviour possible in and off itself. It simply provides matirial relating to it, such as pseudomagical contraceptives and stuff.

So, as above. The main peril is terrible, terrible humour. If your gaming night is already a cesspit of smuttiness and irreverance, then it probably can't make things much worse, and if it isn't already, the BoEF would likely provide a ten minute diversion in session 1 and perhaps a running gag or two. Absolute imo worst-reasonably-likely-case-scenario. :)

The Art is pretty bad, though.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-14, 09:13 PM
Explain to her that playing a prostitute means.

Courtesan =/= prostitute. In a politics-oriented game, a courtesan could be very diplomacy-oriented and even go on adventures; her seduction can easily take a back seat, depending on how she wants to play the character.

Heliomance
2009-09-14, 09:16 PM
Use Nymphology: The Book of Blue Magic instead. It has the bonus of being funny. Also, two of my favourite spells ever:

Prismatic Chastity Belt
Protection from Mingers

taltamir
2009-09-14, 09:55 PM
Use Nymphology: The Book of Blue Magic instead. It has the bonus of being funny. Also, two of my favourite spells ever:

Prismatic Chastity Belt
Protection from Mingers

I would like to point out that in all my posts I assumed BoEF means the book of nymphology / blue magic. And please ret con them accordingly.

Honestly I was thinking you were a total prude with the comments you made about the book, but since apparently we were talking about DIFFERENT books...

I second that the nymphology book is cool. That being said, if you don't like it either, that is within your rights. You need to deal with it responsibly and realise it is an interpersonal relationship issue.

ShadowFighter15
2009-09-14, 09:57 PM
*the first one in the spoiler tags*

I'm... trying to think of a way that spell doesn't count as Nightmare Fuel, but I'm not getting anything.

Heliomance
2009-09-14, 10:42 PM
Violet layer. Plane Shift. Hilarity ensues.

From memory, I think it only affects the part of the body that attempted to breach it.

Renegade Paladin
2009-09-14, 11:03 PM
I would like to point out that in all my posts I assumed BoEF means the book of nymphology / blue magic. And please ret con them accordingly.

Honestly I was thinking you were a total prude with the comments you made about the book, but since apparently we were talking about DIFFERENT books...

I second that the nymphology book is cool. That being said, if you don't like it either, that is within your rights. You need to deal with it responsibly and realise it is an interpersonal relationship issue.
Ah. Therein lies the problem. The Book of Erotic Fantasy is, in fact, a completely different tome, and does indeed have horribly photochopped photographs (as opposed to illustrations) as it's pictures. Seriously. They could not have done a worse job of photo editing. It's painful to look at, and not (just) because of the nudity.

taltamir
2009-09-14, 11:06 PM
Ah. Therein lies the problem. The Book of Erotic Fantasy is, in fact, a completely different tome, and does indeed have horribly photochopped photographs (as opposed to illustrations) as it's pictures. Seriously. They could not have done a worse job of photo editing. It's painful to look at, and not (just) because of the nudity.

... now you got me curious... I am gonna need some bleach after this, aren't I?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-14, 11:16 PM
... now you got me curious... I am gonna need some bleach after this, aren't I?No. They're not disgusting, nor are they disgusting. They're just...bad. Really bad. The artwork could not be in the book at all, and the thing would be better for it. It's pictures of naked people that you just don't care enough to look at.

Renegade Paladin
2009-09-14, 11:28 PM
... now you got me curious... I am gonna need some bleach after this, aren't I?
Not really. Barring one image (which in the copy an acquaintance of mine owns is covered with a Post-It note, and that for being disgusting rather than sexual), it's actually fairly tame; the photography and photo editing are what's horrid.

ShadowFighter15
2009-09-14, 11:29 PM
Violet layer. Plane Shift. Hilarity ensues.

From memory, I think it only affects the part of the body that attempted to breach it.

Hence why I class it as Nightmare Fuel.

Bhu
2009-09-15, 05:53 AM
Perhaps it is best if it stays that way. Stare into the Abyss, and it will stare back at you.

I find the Abyss generally only stares back at you if you're giggling while throwing live chickens at it...

taltamir
2009-09-15, 07:12 PM
ok, i got my hands on the book, dear lord that is foul. Pictures varied from tasteless to horror material. And the contents of the book itself are sub par.

If you want a nice sexual adventure dump the BoEF in the trash and go get yourself a copy of nymphology/blue magic.

As for players who keep on insisting you play with it after being told in no uncertain terms that it is not acceptable material, (especially if you showed them blue magic instead)... kick them out of the group.

If adult situations occur, just housefule them you don't need a pathetic sub par book with horrifying images to explain sex to you, frankly I'd be surprised if the authors really know anything about sex.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-15, 07:17 PM
I have some pertinent advice. (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=951)

Jalor
2009-09-15, 08:08 PM
Not really. Barring one image (which in the copy an acquaintance of mine owns is covered with a Post-It note, and that for being disgusting rather than sexual), it's actually fairly tame; the photography and photo editing are what's horrid.
The one in the Diseases chapter? That's the really disgusting one.

Renegade Paladin
2009-09-15, 08:17 PM
Yes. That one.

Jergmo
2009-09-15, 08:21 PM

Groin-spiders! :thog:

Renegade Paladin
2009-09-15, 08:29 PM
That one is just weird, and is in the Magic section to begin with. We're referring to the chick covered in dried blood in the section on disease.

Deth Muncher
2009-09-16, 12:22 AM
That one is just weird, and is in the Magic section to begin with. We're referring to the chick covered in dried blood in the section on disease.

Yeah. That one...well, to quote Ron White, "Things that make you go 'buhhhh'."

Anyway, slightly more back on topic: So, I'm going to do the first sessionish this Saturday, so I'm basically going to be like "Look guys. I grant that there are useful spells in the book. Fine. And I'm willing to compromise on a few bits, if you ask first. But I really think that the newbies should have a chance to get used to the game first before we go adding in other nonsense. So let's ease our way into the story and how D&D works before we go and do any of that, okay?"

I think they'll take it well.

Kylarra
2009-09-16, 12:24 AM
Yeah. That one...well, to quote Ron White, "Things that make you go 'buhhhh'."

Anyway, slightly more back on topic: So, I'm going to do the first sessionish this Saturday, so I'm basically going to be like "Look guys. I grant that there are useful spells in the book. Fine. And I'm willing to compromise on a few bits, if you ask first. But I really think that the newbies should have a chance to get used to the game first before we go adding in other nonsense. So let's ease our way into the story and how D&D works before we go and do any of that, okay?"

I think they'll take it well.I wouldn't even allow line-itemed 3rd party with newbies to be honest.

Deth Muncher
2009-09-16, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't even allow line-itemed 3rd party with newbies to be honest.

Well, they're not ALL newbies, which is why I hesitate to just veto everything. The one who wants to be the courtesan is a newb, and everyone else has played in at least two games. So...:/ I dunno.

Kylarra
2009-09-16, 12:47 AM
Well, they're not ALL newbies, which is why I hesitate to just veto everything. The one who wants to be the courtesan is a newb, and everyone else has played in at least two games. So...:/ I dunno.Honestly, just stick to your guns for now. Tell them in the future, after everyone has gained more experience with the game, you'll consider allowing more things line-itemed in.

taltamir
2009-09-16, 12:53 AM

there were others... the zombie girl with decaying boobs? etc.. you have just suppressed most of them from memory most likely.

ShadowFighter15
2009-09-16, 12:56 AM
there were others... the zombie girl with decaying boobs? etc.. you have just suppressed most of them from memory most likely.

Wasn't that picture just a regular zombie?

taltamir
2009-09-16, 01:06 AM
Wasn't that picture just a regular zombie?

no, regular zombies wear a shirt and a bra, also they are seen from far enough so that their decaying boobflesh is not 30% of the image.

TheThan
2009-09-16, 03:27 AM
The first half or so of the book is actually an interesting read. It details a lot about the sexuality of various humanoid and non-humanoid races and various classes. It also goes into fair detail about pregnancy, life cycles and a variety of other topics. In all its pretty mature in its mindset and rather serious.

The other half of the book reads like it was written by a bunch of college frat boyz. It’s like there were two different design teams for the book. The first half took it seriously and the second half broke out the beer and did it for the lulz. Seriously there is a prestige class for wizards that’s literally all about Voyeurism and one all about piercing your… special places… there’s also classes for people who are into rope tying and BSDM.

It’s really weird to try to use. In some cases they have solid items like a birthing kits and birth control items. But at the same time they have BSDM tools, items for lets say… alone time… and other such things that are completely superfluous and unnecessary.

Really when you stop and examine the book its got tons of potential to add depth to a campaign world, but at the same time is something that could easily be taken as a joke.