PDA

View Full Version : The Devil's Conspiracy, Part 1: Eviction of the Necromancer

Omegonthesane
2009-09-14, 02:34 AM
14th of the First Month, 112 YT (Year of Trianon)
Tuesday, about lunchtime

For a town sat slap bang on a major trade route, Malnur does not appear to be very bustling and inhabited - not even when you account for the light snow that has been falling around. Even at the end of winter there would usually be a delayed caravan or similar passing through, or at the very least - with the Feast of Winter's Day long gone - experts would be plying their trades, and with so much snow around children ought to be playing in the streets. The odd zombie encountered en route hinted at the cause for this, but no one else was on the road, so no one could confirm anything.

The Wizard and Rogue is not so hard to find, upmarket, openly guarded, the only inn already open for business between the winter and the undead problem. Mind you, it's primarily open for business because of the "job" you all came to ask about. It has a few customers, but in boom season it's clearly hosted far more than a few.

Two men (arguably, one man and one boy) are dining in the corner. The older has fine clothing of blue and white silk, like a courtier of the house of Fortesque, complete with the gold rings and silver necklace. A deep blue beret is on his head and a rapier at his belt. Over and above obviously being pretty rich and having good fashion sense... if you call the stuff most often worn in Baron Fortesque's court "fashionable", he is conspicuous to you because if/when you ask for "Michael" the waiters point you to him. The younger is a lot more nondescript, a little taller than his companion and uniformed like a journeyman from the local machinist's guild.

{table=head]Player|Race/Class|Sheet
Febreezium|Human Monk|Eric the Peaceful (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153062)
13379\/\/4R|Hobgoblin Warblade|Zieg (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153141)
industrious|Human Warlock|Blitzkranz the Lesser (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153136)
Firebeard|Human Cleric (War/Healing)|Jared Belden (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153285)
HereticNox|Aasimar Cleric (Spell/Time)|Alehouse Aloeus (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=28468)[/table]

Febreezium
2009-09-14, 03:32 AM
Eric walks with his fingers steepled, pressing against his nose, through the wintery wilderness. The cold stings and bites like an insect that knows no better, so he ignores it. His expression is calm, peaceful. The world is out there for him to discover and he is on his first journey.

A wind gusts and a piece of paper tumbles towards him. Gently, he reaches out and grabs it; it's a notice, a request for aid. Eric smiles and looks around until he notices a road and a city and a thread back into what he once abandoned.

Finding his way to the ale house, Eric shakes his robes dry and stands inside, just taking the place in. He has a slight feeling that there is more to come from this encounter and that more than just he will answer this call.

Firebeard
2009-09-14, 07:28 AM
Jared Belden

Looking at the plank sign outside the inn, Jared sees a stylized representation of a wizard dueling with what appears to be a figure with a long knife in each hand. For the more literate of its customers, beneath the images are the words "The Wizard and Rogue Inn". This is the place Knight Commander Dujek told him about.

Entering the Inn with a gust of cold wind, Jared threw his traveling cloak back over his shoulders, revealing the white scale mail of a Probationer of the Order of Lysander, with detailed scrollwork picked out in gold, denoting a high ranking graduate of his training class. His fiery red hair draws attention as he scans the few patrons of the inn looking for the man his master sent him to meet. The man known as "Michael".

Seeing the two men in the corner, one dressed in the sort of finery that Commander Dujek described, Jared headed over to introduce himself and find out why exactly his mentor and friend sent him on this particular Probationer's Journey.

HereticNox
2009-09-14, 07:59 AM
Against the swirling white tempest portrayed out the window, stands a tall man. His dark blue robes are reminiscent of the clear night skies, sharply contrasting the bland white landscape. His long sleek hair, black as a moonless night, is tied into a simple ponytail . His broad hands unlace themselves from behind him, and return to his sides. Turning to survey the mostly empty room, his dark sharp eyes travel over those gathered.

His eyes settle on a man, dressed in finery usually reserved for the court, nestled in the corner. Noticing that several others were gravitating toward the man, Aleous sighs. Thoth, you have scribed my arrival in the heavens. The course is unobstructed, the goal is clear.

Slowly Aleous makes his way to the corner. The small pendant of solid gold, curiously in the shape of an ibis' head, gently swings from the motion.

Arriving in front of the man, Aleous bows slightly, "Greetings and blessings in the name of Thoth. My name is Aleous son of Thoth."
Producing an advertisement from a small pocket in his robes, "I believe your name is Michael, and this is your advertisement. I would like to offer my services in this matter."

Omegonthesane
2009-09-14, 08:25 AM
Michael turns, and nods to each of the incoming people in turn. Two clerics, and an unarmed man... well, obviously the unarmed man had to be more than he looked, otherwise he wouldn't be taking an assignment that carried a danger warning.
"Ah, I was wondering when someone would answer my advertisement. As you may have seen, this place is like a ghost town, and everyone is afraid to go out. The reason for this was a foolish transaction. My brother owns a holiday home here," - Michael gestures outside, to an opulent mansion - "and accepted a generous payment to rent out his basement out to a funny little man, who turned out to be a dangerous necromancer. He and his followers have turfed me out of there, and his undead minions plague the lands around, looking for human slaves for his ghastly experiments. This is terrible for business, so I want him dragged out of there, dead or alive."

Aleous
There's something fishy about Michael. His explanation seems too... rehearsed.

Eric
Michael is lying. His brother did not rent out his basement to a necromancer!

industrious
2009-09-14, 10:15 AM
After Michael finishes speaking, a man standing the doorframe speaks up in a voice made deep and raspy by smoke: "How many undead?" He walks in the inn with dry feet; there is no snow on his boots.
The hood of his cloak falls back, and one can see that he has blue skin and eyes of solid black. There is a burn scar on his left cheek, shaped like the sun that is the symbol of Pelor. The man smirks at the reaction to his appearance. "Is there something on my face?", he sneers.

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-14, 11:43 AM
The door suddenly bursts open, and in steps a big hobgoblin. The hobgoblin is dressed for war in well polished scale armor with a longsword strapped to his back with a shortbow, and a warhammer at one hip and a rapier sheathed on the other side. His loud voice rings out "I'm lookin' for a Michael! Where are ya'?"

Firebeard
2009-09-14, 12:13 PM
Jared Belden

Walking up to the man dressed in noble's finery, Jared flashed an easy smile and said "My name is Jared. My master, Knight Commander Dujek, sent me to you regarding this ... little problem. May I inquire how you know Master Dujek, that he would be in such a hurry to send me to you?"

"As for the Undead, it seems that a goodly number of adventurers have answered your call. If they are as competent as the appear, it might be that together we can rid this area of the vile wretch stirring up all this evil."

Jared was excited. A call to fight Undead, the very foes he spent years of his training learning to handle appropriately. Perhaps this is why Master Dujek sent him on this mission? Maybe an "easy" Journey? Jared half-frowned at the thought. In all likelihood, Commander Dujek would never even think of such a thing, but there were politics to consider.

He glanced at the blue man and the hobgoblin making such noise at the door. The hobgoblin looked to be trouble, but Jared was unfamiliar with life outside the Order's training grounds and decided to withhold judgement this once.

As for the blue man, he had the look of a sorcerer or warlock. Jared knew that such men often walked freely about the lands, but also that not all of them could possibly be as vile as rumors would have it. There are other ways to arcane power besides consuming the souls of babies. And besides, if the rumors were true, then all the newborn population of the kingdom would not support the number of warlocks about. Still...

HereticNox
2009-09-14, 12:20 PM
Aleous gazes cooly at the sudden intrusion by the man near the door. The man's strange appearance doesn't surprise Aleous at all. Rationalizing that the man must be of mixed blood, he proceeds to ignore him and his gaze turns back to Michael.

A large crashing caused a twitch of annoyance to pass through Aleous fine features. Turning he openly scowls at the hobogoblin, obviously displeased by his sudden, and rather loud appearance.

Turning to the sensible man beside him, Aleous whispers in his rather dark voice, "Rather unseemly, walking into an establishment fully armed and armored. Is he looking for employment or a battle?"

Sliding a hand slowly out to the man, "Let me introduce myself, Aleous devout of Thoth."

Omegonthesane
2009-09-14, 12:51 PM
Michael glances at the two newcomers, a blue man - obviously a warlock or demon of some kind, no natural being could be blue and have no pupils - and a ridiculously boistrous and eager hobgoblin. Well, eager worked.
"His full army would be at least a hundred, but most of them are roaming the surrounding area. Mostly he uses his crazy followers to guard the mansion, although they'll have raised some undead of their own I'll bet... And yes there is something on your face. Few indeed are devout enough to be branded with the sign of their god." The mildly mocking tone is both obvious and intentional.

"Now," says Michael, suddenly businesslike, shaking Aleous' hand and merely nodding at the sheer piety of the agent of Lysander. "My name is Michael Fortesque, Esquire, and as it happens, Master Dujek owes my family one or two small favours. I suggested to my father that his debt be considered paid, should he give some help with the necromancer here... Ah, you should also become acquainted with my helper here." He gestures to the artisan boy next to him. "This is Kirin, until recently an apprentice of the Machinist's Guild of Seberium. I decided to employ him on this case, as he will know how to disarm the kind of mechanical devices used for security these days, in case our necromancer is employing them. Also, the experience will benefit him I'm sure." Kirin merely nods shyly.

One of the waiters tries to calmly point Zieg in Michael's direction. He succeeds at the pointing part.

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-14, 01:09 PM
"What's this I hear about necromancers and undead? Is that the job? 'Cause that sounds kinda... borin'. Mages don't know how'ta put up a decent fight once you deal with their magic bull****, and undead have no skill with a blade at all! Ah' well, i'll take it anyway, it might be some decent exercise at least" The hobgoblin says as he swaggers over confidantly. "Ahm' Zieg, so lets go kill some dead people!"

industrious
2009-09-14, 02:28 PM
Blitzkranz smiles coldly at Michael. "You don't need to be devout to be marked by a holy symbol. Just troublesome."

He glances at the hobgoblin. "That's the thing about mages, Zieg." He steps closer to the hobgoblin, unarmed, half a foot shorter, and looking directly into his eyes. "They don't need a decent fight." He raises his index finger until it is at eye level, pointing at the ceiling. "With this finger, I can channel arcane energies that will flay the flesh from your bones. I can walk and none shall follow me. Given enough time, I can make you burn with my magic. So in any decent fight, hobgoblin, you would be dead before you saw it coming."

He then steps back and smiles at the barman. "But there is no need for us to fight; we are all on the same side, here. Barkeep, two ales for myself and the hobgoblin!"

Firebeard
2009-09-14, 02:38 PM
Jared Belden

Jared smiled at the caster's words. He walked over to where the blue man and the hobgoblin were eying each other. "My master, Knight Commander Dujek of the Order of Lysander has a saying. 'No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife in the back will seriously cramp his style.'" Jared grinned at the Warlock. "He would also usually follow that with something along the lines of 'That's why the smart ones usually surround themselves with meat shields and a healer or two."

Making up his mind to like the Blue Man, at least until evidence proved he should do otherwise, he held out his hand. "I think we can work together. The name's Jared. Jared Belden, Knight Probationer of the Martial Order of Lysander. And you are...?"

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-14, 02:38 PM
Zieg raises an eyebrow as his hand strays to his longsword."I can't decide if I want to hurt you for presuming that i couldn't kill you, or thanking you for the drinks." He shrugs and takes the drinks, but hands one to Blitzkranz and grins. " I like your confidence though!"

Febreezium
2009-09-14, 03:23 PM
Eric stands away from the wall, a faint smile on his face.

"Where's this mansion? And, quickly, what's the Necromancer's name? No, quickly."

He is still smiling but his tone is insistent.

industrious
2009-09-14, 03:42 PM
Blitzkranz takes the hand "Blitzkranz the Lesser. And if your prowess in battle is as firm as your handshake, I believe we can make a great team. Provided, of course, that you don't burn me with your holy symbol as the last priest I encountered did." Turning towards Krieg, he raises his flagon in salute. "To killing. Let the necromancer fear our combined steel and magic. And let the undead 'ware the power of your god, Jared."

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-14, 03:48 PM
Zieg raises his mug, "To killing!" and then downs his ale." I think we will get along. All this talk about fighting and killing has got my blood pumping! when do we leave?"

industrious
2009-09-14, 04:05 PM
Blitzkranz smiles at the hobgoblin's enthusiasm. "I believe as soon as we are know where the mansion is, I believe. Apologies, sir monk, for our interruption of your question. Please, Esquire Michael, continue." He sips at his ale, frowns, and returns to the bar, sliding a silver coin across to the innkeeper. He then takes another, reluctant swallow.

HereticNox
2009-09-14, 04:06 PM
Aleous sat back observing the revelry taking part around him. Raising his hand in a weary greeting "I for one would like to know, what exactly are we to do with necromancer. "

Omegonthesane
2009-09-14, 04:42 PM
"The mansion is at the edge of town, follow the main road north from here and look for the blue building on a raised area, taller than any other house around. If you miss it, ask Kirin, since he'll be accompanying you." Michael stares into space briefly, as if recalling something, then returns to reality. "The necromancer styles himself Naveg the Dark. As for what to do with him, well, as I said, bring him to me - dead or alive. Any further questions?"

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-14, 05:11 PM
Zieg looks at him. "What's the reward?"

Omegonthesane
2009-09-14, 05:21 PM
"1000 gold pieces per head, plus whatever you pick up on the job. Naveg has undead to equip and followers to feed, so he doubtless stores some ill-gotten wealth down there."

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-14, 05:26 PM
" Excellent. well, ahm ready to get goin' if my new companions are!" Zieg stands up and rolls his shoulders, "So lets move out!"

Firebeard
2009-09-14, 05:44 PM
Jared Belden

"If our erstwhile employer has nothing left to add, then I too am ready to be off." Jared raises an eyebrow at Michael in inquiry.

Dratted curse filter won't let me c-o-c-k an eyebrow

HereticNox
2009-09-14, 05:56 PM
I'm sure he would, Clearing his throat, Aleous drawls "Indeed anything else that might be pertinent before we go on this errand."

Omegonthesane
2009-09-14, 06:09 PM
"...Ah, yes, a map. Kirin, would you go retrieve it?"

Within five minutes, Kirin is back from upstairs, and carrying a map of the basement (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/daveite/basement_playermap.png). As he unrolls it on the table, Michael proceeds to explain.
"The 'o's are doors that were installed at the time the map was drawn. The 'u' marks where the stairs will lead you. Any further questions?"

After discerning that Michael knows nothing more that is particularly useful to them, the party is railroaded... sorry, travels of their own free will to the location where their assignment is to be carried out. Kirin comes with them, and points out a large, blue structure on a grassy verge, as promised. The paint job doesn't seem to have been cared for on the outside, but the building is obviously not completely abandoned, as two heavy-set men in scale mail with halberds are stood guard at the front door.

Eric, Aleous, and Jared
You all got the feeling that Michael is hiding something. However, there's a necromancer to rout, that much can't be denied.

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-14, 06:15 PM
Zieg looks at the mansion and the guards, " So! how do we do this? Do we guile our way in? Do we sneak our way in through the backdoor? Or, my personal favorite, do we kill the guards and smash our way in and kill anything that looks vaguely like an undead monster or like a wizard in black robes? Please say we can do the last one!"

Firebeard
2009-09-14, 07:16 PM
Jared Belden

Jared turns to Kirin and asks "Is there any way in besides going through those brutes?" If not, I suggest a little misdirection.

industrious
2009-09-14, 07:51 PM
Blitzkranz works his way into the conversation. "I have a suggestion, if there is no way around them. I will walk over to them, an attempt to gain entry as a fellow practitioner of the black arts (a simple enough task, given my appearance, and black attire). I will then order them to go where we are currently to fetch my wagon of rare spell components. You should be able to ambush them, then." He pauses. "Or, we could send Zieg charging at them, and the rest of us back him up."

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-14, 07:56 PM
Zieg grins a wide, toothy grin and unsheaths his longsword. "I like that second idea! Let's Do that!"

Febreezium
2009-09-15, 02:11 AM
It's great that you guys are so excited about this thread, but I'm not going to be able to post more than twice a day during the week, so please don't leave me behind! :smallbiggrin:

"Would the undead let us pass, do you think, or may they have been ordered to attack everyone who approaches?" Eric asks, saying his first words since they set off from the pub. "Forgive me being cautious, I don't know much about their kind, but I assume they're not intelligent enough to distinguish between 'guest I don't know' and 'food'."

He smiles, looking over the crawling dead with sadness. He hopes these people have not been denied peace.

Omegonthesane
2009-09-15, 04:31 AM
"There is a back door, yes. However, it would be reasonable to assume that they've guarded that, too. I know of no secret entrances to the building." If the original owner had wanted a fortress, Kirin would have thought the owner would have built a fortress, not a large house. "I'm no expert on the undead meself, but aren't they meant to blindly follow their master's orders?"

The guards have noticed you, but pay you no heed, not realising you intend to visit.

Eric, Blitzkranz, Aleous
The guards are also chatting, and don't appear to be trying to be secret about it.

industrious
2009-09-15, 05:53 AM
After looking at the guards, who appear to be chatting about something, Blitzkranz shakes his head. "Something isn't right. We have a set of guards that have noticed us and not yet hailed us. In fact, they are simply talking to each other about one thing or another. Something is not right, here."

Firebeard
2009-09-15, 06:35 AM
Jared Belden

"I think Blitzkranz has the right of it. Perhaps a little bluff and some information gathering is in order. I say we let the warlock do the talking...but we all go in together. I'm not keen on leaving anyone out by themselves here."

Febreezium
2009-09-15, 06:43 AM
What are the guards saying?

[roll0]

Firebeard
2009-09-15, 07:06 AM
"Can you make out what the guards are saying?"

[roll0]

HereticNox
2009-09-15, 07:13 AM
Watching the guards speaking to each other, Aleous turns his ear to the guards . Simultaneously he says, "Do you believe they will give us passage?"

[roll0] Listen

Omegonthesane
2009-09-15, 07:29 AM
The guards are grumbling about how their stupid employer wouldn't even give them half their final payment before starting on whatever stupid ritual he's doing today. One of them claims that back in his day this kind of disgraceful policy just wouldn't happen.

Firebeard
2009-09-15, 09:59 AM
Jared Belden

"Follow my lead."Jared tucks his holy sigil into his armor, pulls his traveling cloak back up and begins to walk towards the guards. As he nears them, he can be heard saying to his fellow adventurers "I don't want trouble, but Naveg will pay me what he owes me. 'I'm a little short on funds right now' indeed!"

He looks at the guardsmen inattentively holding their posts and says loud enough for them to hear clearly "Look at these gentlemen! I bet Naveg hasn't paid them either." Addressing the guards directly, he said Naveg never paid up for that last shipment. He agreed to meet with me today to *discuss* it. If you wouldn't mind announcing us to the steward and allowing us to wait in the parlor, there would be something in it for you as well. Jared reaches into his pouch, flashes a gold coin at the guards, and returns it to the pouch, where a small "clink" is heard, making it obvious that the coin has brothers.

Omegonthesane
2009-09-15, 10:03 AM
((That's a Bluff check, so I'll roll.))
Dice rolls you probably don't want to see:
Jared's Bluff at +5: [roll0]
Guard 1's Sense Motive: [roll1]
Guard 2's Sense Motive: [roll2]

Although they seem wary about something, the guards act like they're completely taken in, and it's way too convincing to be a bluff.
"Master Naveg didn't tell us anythin' about a visitor, but he's a little crazy sometimes. I'll go find the steward." The guard enters the building alone, leaving his friend to keep an eye on you.
"That'll be twenny-five gold. For each of us. In case the master decides to dock our pay for this..."

industrious
2009-09-15, 10:43 AM
Blitzkranz stands about twenty feet away from the remaining guard, and begins to strike up a chat with him, gesturing animatedly all the while. "This is the problem everywhere, is it not, guardsman? Truly, what is the world coming to, as payment and plans fall behind? Truly, our associate Zieg here needs to switch to his second plan in order to get anything done. And it must truly be hard for a guardsmen. Low pay, long stretches of boring nothingness, spiraling downward, as your mind begins to rot from boredom and lack of activity. Just standing there, and doing nothing but watching for people to show up but never do, not on time, always unexpected and inconveniencing your good self. I truly am sorry, you have no idea."

And in the middle of his gesturing, blasts the guard with eldritch fire.

Attack Roll with eldritch blast[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-15, 10:53 AM
Zeig draws his longsword and strikes in one motion.
Attack
[roll0]

damage
[roll1]

industrious
2009-09-15, 10:55 AM
Blitzkranz raises an eyebrow. "Don't kill him, and don't make too much noise. We have a second guard to catch flat-footed, and a steward to interrogate."

HereticNox
2009-09-15, 10:59 AM
As his companions struck the non hostile guards, Aleous voice thunders, "What madness has possessed you cretins!"

Stepping back, Aleous begins to chant and suddenly his form is illuminated by divine radiance. His eyes flashing, "Stop this mindless violence now, in the name of Thoth. Detest and allow Jared to see to the man's wounds."

Seeing that his line of thinking was in the minority. Aleous lets the light pulse around him, "This will be the death of us."

Nimbus of Light active, basically I'm glowing now.

Firebeard
2009-09-15, 11:01 AM
Jared Belden

Hearing the warlock's cue, Jared draws his heavy flail as the eldritch fire streaks in. Swinging his flail he attempts to sweep the guard off his feet.

[roll1] *

*Improved trip gives me +4 to the STR roll. A successful trip gives me an immediate free attack while opponent is on the ground

[roll=attack]1d20+4
[roll2]

industrious
2009-09-15, 11:33 AM
Seeing his companions gang up on the lone guard, Blitzkranz speaks again "Don't kill him. He just needs to lose consciousness. We can't make too much noise."

He then addresses Aleous. "There was no way around it. Soon enough, the other guard would be back and we don't have enough gold to bribe our way through. Provided, of course, that the steward didn't expose us at once. This way, we can get them out of the way and interrogate the steward for more information. We aren't going to kill them."

Omegonthesane
2009-09-15, 11:41 AM
The eldritch blast sends the guard to the floor, bleeding from a very nasty leg wound. Fate must be smiling on you, because he lacks the strength to scream. Zieg's sword swings over his head as he falls down, and Jared stops for a moment when he realises there is no purpose to tripping someone who's already unconscious.
"...yo..u... bas.... curs..."

There is some minor commotion upstairs as the steward is informed of what the other guard thinks is the situation.

HereticNox
2009-09-15, 11:42 AM
Jangling his purse, the sound of gold clicking is audible. "We could have pooled are sources, then recouped the losses later. No matter now I suppose" The light continues to swirl about him, ominously illuminating the area around him.

Seeing the severity of the man's injuries, Aleous intones, "Jared would you see to his injuries."

Firebeard
2009-09-15, 12:02 PM
Jared Belden

"I'm not normally in favor of granting Lysander's blessing to those that volunteer to work with such as a necromancer. However, if by preserving his life, I have the chance to preserve his soul...

A nimbus of light surrounds his hand as Jared reaches to the captive's leg. As he reaches towards the guard he asks softly "These hands are as adept at harm as they are at healing. Do you swear to forsake the services of this necromancer, and not lift a hand...or voice against us?"

If the guard says yes, cure light wounds
[roll0]

"Blitzkranz, keep an ear out for the returning guard...and any others he might bring with him. Eric, Help me drag this one out of sight of the doorway."

HereticNox
2009-09-15, 12:08 PM
Watching the fellow devout work, "I meant bind his wounds. Remember they just work for their pay. I have no reason believe he takes part in the activities. He is simply a guard dog, no reason to punish them for the crime of their master." The light dims slightly, and Aleous eyes gaze into the building trying to spot guards. Soon this spell will end, my ability will be limited soon. Though perhaps that is for the best.

He takes a deep slow breath, "Thoth, I thank you." Breathing out, the light seems to disperse at the same rate. As the last bit of air exits his lungs, the light surrounding him finally dissipates. Leaving no trace upon the dark robes, though Aleous face looks weary.

Firebeard
2009-09-15, 12:23 PM
Jared Belden

"Bind his wounds? Oh. Oh!" Jared glanced around with a bit of embarassment showing. And paid hand or not, you heard him mention the "rituals". He knows what is going on, even if he isn't a direct participant.

industrious
2009-09-15, 12:26 PM
As the light fades from around Aleous, Blitzkranz places his hand on the priest's shoulder. "It must be difficult for you, cleric. I know not the god that you follow, but I would wager that he is not like the one Knight Jared worships. Compassion, perhaps, or Healing, may be his domain. But we must get to the necromancer before the ritual this man mentioned occurs, else compassion and healing may become far too rare in this world." Reaching past the cleric, he places a gold coin in the unconscious guard's hand.

Stepping back, Blitzkranz continues. "If this man does not come to, we will have to move him out of sight of the door. The other guard, and hopefully the steward, will come soon."

He then snaps his fingers, and is surrounded by a nimbus of purple energy. The chaotic energy arcs and crackles around him, dipping into and out of his skin throughout his body.

Activated entropic warding invocation.

HereticNox
2009-09-15, 12:33 PM
At the touch of his shoulder, Aleous turns his dark eyes upon the strange being. "I serve Thoth, the Scribe of the Heavens, The Director of Heavenly Order, the God of Knowledge and Magic. He pities no man, his concerns of are greater things. The tides of time, an I'm simply here to observe,record, and act according to Thoth's will. The man's life is of no consequence, but he hasn't shone aggression toward us. I will not allow a non-hostile man's blood to be on my hands. If one raises a hand to me, then they will be terminated. Simple isn't it."

"He guards a door, perhaps a room. He knows a powerful necromancer is preforming dark rituals and commands a legion of the undead. At the very least, by following orders he is only ensuring his survival. Unless you consider being undead a form of survival. Remember many of these guards, might not be willing guardsman."

Striding up to the man, Aleous allows his robes to billow around him as he kneels beside him. "I need you to tell me everything you can, when is your master expected to return. How many guards are stationed here, how are they armed."

[roll0] Diplomacy

Omegonthesane
2009-09-15, 12:35 PM
The guard is not stupid enough, or loyal enough, to reject a life-or-death ultimatum. Even if these people failed, and the necromancer killed him in a few hours, he was at risk of being killed right now. "Y... yes..." These are his last words before falling conveniently asleep; even with the healing, he's lost enough blood that he'll be having a little difficulty answering questions today. Well, maybe if he got a bit more healing once you were no longer in a somewhat urgent situation.

You hear a shout from upstairs. It isn't that loud for you because it's from the floor above and you're still outside the house.
"You FOOL! We cannot let them interrupt the Master!"
You hear people running down the stairs, and I mean RUNNING down the stairs. No, you don't have good enough reactions to get to the basement before they're ready for combat. The guard looks just like he did before, while the steward is dressed in the kind of shirt and pants typical of civilians here, only with an amulet shaped like a skull around his neck. "They're there! Kill them!"

((Please put yourself somewhere on this map (http://www.celestine-empire.net/battlegrid/board.php?sessionID=Devil%20Conspiracy), south of the door, before I roll initiative. Yes, this is partly to ensure Febreezium isn't left too far behind.))

industrious
2009-09-15, 12:43 PM
I'm on space M9.

Blitzkranz shrugs. "I guess my not-so cunning plan didn't work."

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-15, 12:49 PM
I'm right next to the guard we K.Oed. I can't find him on the map.

Zieg snorts and speaks in the softest voice you have ever heard from him, "Ya win some, ya loose some. I'm tough and heavily armored so i will take point. Dig your toes in and let them come to us."

HereticNox
2009-09-15, 12:59 PM
OOC: I'll be next to Blitzkranz in M8, hit them hard and fast.

Raising a crossbow from under his robes, Aleous quietly mummers "To Thoth we give our praise, for he shall guide us. We shall not fear, for he is the light and the darkness. Thoth in this battle our foe is one who mocks your count. All life must come to past, and the raising of those who moons had past. He is mighty, but you are much more. So steady our hands, and steel our heart oh Thoth. Praise be to you."

Turning toward Blitzkranz, Aleous hand glows in a silver light "Would you accept the blessing of Thoth. He will steady your hand for this endeavor "

Casting Guidance

Firebeard
2009-09-15, 01:02 PM
Jared Belden

Standing at L7.

Jared grins at Blitzkranz. "At least we didn't charge into two readied halberds."

industrious
2009-09-15, 01:36 PM
Blitzkranz bows his head. "I would be honored to accept the blessing of Thoth."

Omegonthesane
2009-09-15, 02:02 PM
I'm right next to the guard we K.Oed. I can't find him on the map.
((That's because I lazily didn't put him on the map at all.
Added everyone's positions, guessed that Zieg should be on L10 after dragging the guard just out of sight. I think we should give Febreezium at least a day to show up, this is PBP after all))

Febreezium
2009-09-15, 02:30 PM
OOC: Thanks for waiting, guys.

Eric stands (at N9), having watched those he's with be spectacularly violent. Thankfully, they didn't hurt anyone, but their actions belayed inner anger which needed to be watched.

When the threat of violence becomes apparent, he muses that this is as a result of their own violence. However, there is a dark ritual below which needs halting, so he readies himself for battle.

Eric puts his hand over his Kama, ready to draw it at a moment's notice.

HereticNox
2009-09-15, 02:49 PM
Nodding, Aleous reaches over. Lightly he touches Blitzkranz, "Thoth guides you this day."

Blitz

The creature gets a +1 competence bonus on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check. Must declare before the roll is made.

Omegonthesane
2009-09-15, 02:59 PM
All right, let's start the party! No one's getting a surprise round, so it's INITIATIVE ROLLING TIME!
Initiative rolls that you may not wish to see:
Eric [roll0]
Aleous [roll1]
Blitzkranz [roll2]
Zieg [roll3]
Jared [roll4]
Guard [roll5]
Steward [roll6]

Omegonthesane
2009-09-15, 03:00 PM
Tiebreaker between Aleous and Guard:
A [roll0] G [roll1]

And that makes the initiative order Steward, Zieg, Blitzkranz, Eric, Kirin, Aleous, Guard, Jared. Need to post again as I'm going to make a dice roll.

HereticNox
2009-09-15, 03:01 PM
OOC: Are we posting in order, or are you going to do the whole summarizing thing?

Omegonthesane
2009-09-15, 03:11 PM
((We're posting in order. I'll NPC people who take longer than a day to the best of my ability, though.))

Steward's turn
The steward raises his arms in an overly dramatic fashion and shouts. A few bolts of negative energy flies from his fingertips into Aleous, causing him to feel somewhat more hurt than he began the day feeling.
Damage [roll0]
Aleous' best save is Will DC 12 half [roll1]

Zieg's turn next

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-15, 08:19 PM
Zieg will 5-foot step to G14 and shoot the guard with his bow.
Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

Firebeard
2009-09-15, 08:53 PM
Zieg will 5-foot step to G14 and shoot the guard with his bow.
Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

(OOC) please tell me that was a typo. G14 is behind 2 walls in a linen closet. :smallbiggrin:

industrious
2009-09-15, 09:22 PM
(OOC: Assuming that 13379\/\/4R meant either K9 or L9)

Steward's Turn

As the steward casts his spell, Blitzkranz watches intently, attempting to figure out exactly what it was that the steward cast towards the foreign cleric. It was an interesting puzzle; both the spell and the cleric. He looked human, but something seemed...off? Perhaps fey-blooded?

Spellcraft check d20+6
Intelligence check to discern Aleous's race [roll0]

Blitzkranz's Turn
Frowning at the hobgoblin blocking his sight, Blitzkranz steps diagonally in order to get a better view of his enemies. (5-foot step to square L8), apologizing to Aleous for getting in his line of sight.

Then, Blitzkranz calls upon the power that resides within him, calls upon the arcane energies which course through his veins. Chaos dances within his solid black eyes; the chaotic aura that already wreathes him in dark purple lightning is reflected in the midnight orbs. Remembering the blessing so recently bestowed upon him, he opens himself to the intuitive knack that some call fate, some call chance, and others call the whispers of the divine. Uttering a single, harsh-sounding word that promises death, destruction, and discord, he exhales, channeling the eldritch blast through his fingertips, and unleashes a torrent of supernatural power. Unfortunately, he crooks his index finger a bit too far.

As the dark energy speeds towards the steward, or at least somewhere in his general vicinity, he shrugs, and remarks "Thankfully, we already have somebody to interrogate."

For those who speak Infernal the word that Blitzkranz spoke was Lily

Attack and Damage Rolls
Attack roll (+1 for discharging the guidance spell) [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

ooc: do the doors to the building open from the inside or the outside?

industrious
2009-09-15, 09:25 PM
Sorry, problem with the Spellcraft check.

[roll0]

Omegonthesane
2009-09-16, 02:03 AM
Zieg's turn
The guard's arm sprouts an arrow, and the force of that impact knocks him to the ground, screaming. He's unlikely to get up again without medical attention.

Blitzkranz' turn
You can't remember exactly what spell it is, although its effect on Aleous was pretty obvious. Nor are you able to identify Aleous' exact species from looking, although I wouldn't have thought it was a secret.

The eldritch blast is a little off-target; it bounces from wall to wall, past the steward, and almost reaches a different room before fizzling out. The steward is visibly relieved at this turn of events.

Eric's turn

Also, remind me not to start any more combats with this much distance between you and your enemies. :smallbiggrin:

Febreezium
2009-09-16, 03:28 AM
Eric adopts the Gentle Handshake method and charges towards the enemy, smiling slightly.

OOC: By my reckoning, that takes Eric to C9 but I'm not certain.

Gentle Handshake
Allows Trip/Disarm AoOs against enemies who attack him. With his Kama out, he will attempt to trip. Also makes his Slam attack piercing and deal 2 CON damage.

Omegonthesane
2009-09-16, 04:53 AM
((If you could charge, then it would take you to C9. However, the guard's already dying, and in any case Zieg is in your way.
If you can't post again before 08:03 tomorrow, I'll use a double move action to move Eric to N9, thereby leaving Zieg, Blitzkranz, and Aleous with a relatively clear LoS to the Steward and giving you a chance to rush him next turn, and put you in Gentle Handshake style as you have no other styles yet and it costs you only a swift action. How's that sound?
ACTUAL SPOILER:
Also, you're already in range of his only spell, so you don't exactly lose anything by getting closer.))

Febreezium
2009-09-16, 01:39 PM
OOC: Cheers for that! Was pretty much what I was aiming for.

Omegonthesane
2009-09-16, 02:33 PM
OK.
Eric's turn
Eric moves to N9 in the manner indicated in my previous post, and activates the Gentle Handshake style.

Kirin's turn
Kirin hides cowardly in L5. It's not like a scrawny teenager who was apprenticed as a machinist can help in a fight.

Aleous' turn next

HereticNox
2009-09-16, 04:21 PM
Aleous
OOC: Is it extra movement to move through a square occupied by allies? If not, move to I8 and draw my crossbow.

Aleous winces as the steward's spell smashes into his chest. His eyes flashing definetly, Aleous moves up toward the steward. Drawing out his crossbow, Aleous prepares to fire at the annoyance.

"You will pay dearly for that Steward."

Omegonthesane
2009-09-16, 04:28 PM
I dunno about the official rules but I'd say a 5' square has room to be moved through even if a Medium creature is stood in it. You just can't park two people in one square if they're Small or Medium that's all. So no move penalty.

Guard's turn
The guard bleeds. Maybe he twitches too. He certainly doesn't move or attack.

Jared's turn

Firebeard
2009-09-16, 05:11 PM
Jared Belden

Jared springs forward in a rush to aid Eric as necessary. ((runs to F9))

You can move through a friendly square without penalty. PHB 147

Omegonthesane
2009-09-17, 12:28 AM
Steward's turn
The steward is mildly panicked at the sight of two people who have got this close to his defences, and decides to zap the monk first. Despite fairly good reflexes, Eric is sadly hit by the full blast, and a few nasty cuts appear on his body.
Damage [roll0]
Eric's best save: Reflex DC 12 half [roll1]

Febreezium
2009-09-17, 02:37 AM
OOC: :smallcool: I've got a 2 in 3 chance of dodging that, then a 7 in 8 chance of not being incapped, but the dice gods aligned against me! I'm on 0 hp, so you can continue without me until I'm healed!

Omegonthesane
2009-09-17, 02:45 AM
((2 in 3 chance of dodging? It's an SLA that doesn't involve an attack roll, I dunno where you're coming from.
Still, yeah, I hope I don't roll that well for any more NPCs...
EDIT: Oh yeah, the Reflex save. It would've halved the damage not negated it. Still, you wouldn't be incapacitated in that case.))

Zieg's turn

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-17, 07:16 PM
Zieg will move up next to Aleus and shoot the Steward, if possible.(I'm not sure that i'm reading this map right so I can't tell if I can hit the Steward)

Omegonthesane
2009-09-18, 12:50 AM
Are you reading the map Michael gave you or the battle grid? 'Cause you aren't actually in the basement yet. Also, yes, there's at least three spaces next to Aleous that you can take.

Also, you forgot to make an attack roll, and none of your maneuvers will help with archery, so here goes...
Attack roll [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

GUT SHOT! The steward stumbles backwards and falls, mortally wounded. That happens to enemy NPCs a lot in D&D.

You win combat! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHsdFijn3Bc) Youtube-linked victory music optional, and in case you're feeling humane, the steward and other guard aren't actually dead yet, just unquestionably defeated.
The inevitable loot search nets you a total of 70gp, the guards' halberds and scale mail, and a strangely worked dagger from the steward's belt.
To discourage level grinding I'm intending to give you all the XP in the dungeon when you've actually subdued the necromancer.

Firebeard
2009-09-18, 06:11 AM
Jared Belden

Jared stoops to Eric's side and his hand glows briefly as healing energy pours into his friend.

Casting Cure Light Wounds
[roll0]

Oops! I forgot healing domain gives me +1 level to healing spells. So add another point of healing to that.

Jared then reaches down and helps Eric to his feet. "Up you go!"

industrious
2009-09-18, 07:34 AM
Blitzkranz walks forward until he is right in front of the steward. Taking the dagger from the dying man, he calls out to the rest of the group. "Let's wake him up. Time to find out just what this ritual is. There is something fishy going on." Absently scratching the sun-shaped scar on his cheek, he then examines the dagger closely, wondering if he had seen or heard about anything like it.

Taking 10 on a Knowledge(arcana) check (result of 15)

Febreezium
2009-09-18, 07:57 AM
Eric stands up with help, smiles, then brushes himself off.

"Fools rush in and all that. It was a hell of a good shot he did. Thanks for the healing, which God provided it?"

Firebeard
2009-09-18, 08:19 AM
Jared Belden

"You may give thanks to Lysander, Good Lord of Healing and War. He is who I serve, and he is who gives me my strength." Jared smiles at Eric. "You gave me a turn, you did. That was a close thing."

He turned to the caster on the floor. "I hope you aren't too squeamish where this one is concerned. After all, he did shout 'KILL THEM' before ever setting eyes on us and was certainly intent on preventing us from interrupting this ritual."

Looking at the dagger in Blitzkranz's hands, he muses aloud, "I may have seen the like before...let me think."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Wow! a nat 20 on the appraise check!!

HereticNox
2009-09-18, 09:00 AM
Aleous keeps his crossbow drawn, and alertly keeps track of their surroundings. Approaching the Steward, he reaches down and rips the skull amulet from his chest. He examines it closely seeing if a clue could be ascertained from it.

With a cold glance, his eyes pierce the steward's. "Are you conscious Steward? Answer my questions truthfully and completely, or else things may prove difficult for you. I still remember your spell impacting me, that was painful."

Flicking his hand in the direction of the recently healed warrior. Aleous face contorts with devilish glee, "And I'm sure he would be very interested in having a...conversation with you."

Knowledge Religion [roll0]
Appraise [roll1]
Intimidate [roll2]

Ouch rolls
Cast Detect Magic, to see if any magic is around us or the steward or his necklace

industrious
2009-09-18, 10:37 AM
Blitzkranz shakes his head at the clerics attempts at intimidation. "No offense, priest, but your holy orders make it somewhat difficult for one to be intimidated. But I am a warlock. And all know from what sources my kind summon forth their power. Give me three minutes alone with the steward, and I will make him sing."

As he speaks, the aura of chaos around him begins to fade, but Blitzkranz merely raises an annoyed eyebrow and the nimbus of dark energy remains, frothing and cascading over his frame. He runs a loving finger down the blade of the steward's dagger, and accidentally gives himself a (very) minor graze. A drop of black blood is allowed to fall onto the stone floor. He watches it fall, and a black tongue licks at the corner of his mouth.

HereticNox
2009-09-18, 10:55 AM
Stepping aside, Aleous gestures his hand at the steward.
"By all means, if this is your area of," pausing for a brief moment,"expertise. Then go right ahead.".He smiles, but the effect doesn't quite reach his eyes.

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-18, 10:57 AM
Zieg looks around. " We should hurry. We don't know how many guards or mages there are, but someone must have heard the fighting. If we stay out in the open, we would get peppered with arrows and magic. We should take the prisoners inside for interogation. We can comandeer one of the rooms in the estate." Zieg will quickly loot the bodies and drag the guard we knocked out to the rest of the party. " What should we do with him?"

industrious
2009-09-18, 11:30 AM
Blitzkranz smiles, and sketches a bow. “Thank you, sir.” If one couldn’t see his eyes, one would assume he was accepting a dance. The eyes, though, the black and featureless eyes reveal the pleasure of a man about to do something he enjoys so very, very much.

Kneeling down to the level of the steward, Blitzkranz turns his head back towards the clerics. “He’s unconscious.” He then pauses, tilts his head to the left, and shakes the man awake.

"Now, steward," he remarks, slowly, deliberately, drawing each word out. "do you know how I got this scar on my cheek? The village priest in the hamlet of Cryerie was a very smart man. He knew what I was the instant I walked into the square. So he took up his holy symbol, and pressed it slowly, softly, gently into my flesh. It burned, my dear steward, it burned like the sun depicted. I will always carry this scar; everywhere I go it stays with me."

"My associates, they are good people. Righteous people of the cloth and sword and path. Me? I am a warlock. You know from what source my power lies, the pacts and deals that must be made for this power. Now, you are going to tell me everything you know about the ritual. You are going to tell me what exactly the spell you used against the monk was. You are going to tell me how many guards there are here currently. And, you are going to tell me about this wonderful dagger I found. Or, I will slice your flesh until you do, and tonight I will feed once more on human flesh. I leave the choice entirely up to you."

taking 10 on Intimidate check (result of 15)

Firebeard
2009-09-18, 11:49 AM
Jared Belden

Jared glanced nervously at Aleous as Blitzkranz said the words "...You know from what source my power lies..." He liked the sorcerer, despite outward appearances, but those words made his flesh crawl. Were they said just for intimidation purposes, or was there some deeper truth here? Could he have been wrong about the scarred young man? Was he, in fact, dealing with the kind of evil that his teachers in the Chapterhouse warned was walking the world? It didn't make sense. He just could not reconcile his observations and opinions with the words. Jared resolved to discretely confront the sorcerer as soon as he had the chance.

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-18, 12:50 PM
Zieg snorts softley and whispers to Jared," I can't believe he actually called me righteous. And I seriously doubt that he has feasted on human flesh before. I've heard that humans taste disgusting to other humans. I'm a goblinoid so I can eat damn near anything and I think that humans taste nasty!"

Febreezium
2009-09-18, 05:06 PM
"I don't know that I approve of your violent approach, but I do agree that there may have been some warning given to anyone below. He won't know anything that'll help us compared to a completely lost element of surprise."

Firebeard
2009-09-19, 01:11 PM
((OOC: Re we waiting for the DM to run the steward's mouth? Or just pressing on? ))

industrious
2009-09-19, 01:13 PM
((OOC: Waiting for the DM to play the steward.))

Omegonthesane
2009-09-20, 04:56 AM
"I'm already dead, you moron... what more can you do to me?" Well, obviously the steward wasn't dead dead, but he had seen enough death to know he wasn't going to get up ever again without medical attention. "What do I care for what you do to my body? You don't comprehend the importance of the Master's ritual..."

With what he knows could be his last breaths, he informs you that the spell was a weak but easily mastered infusion of negative energy, a mainstay of many dark magicians.

Blitzkranz
The dagger is of a style used by a few dark cults, and recommended by some necromancers. It's not necessarily magical, but it looks more designed for sacrifice than for combat.

You recognise the description of the steward's spell as Inflict Light Wounds ((which mechanically is close enough, rules-wise he's using a crappy spell-like ability to much the same effect.))

Also, you don't need a Sense Motive check to notice you're probably better off interrogating the guards. They were probably mercenaries, but this guy is a fanatic.

Jared
Blitzkranz is holding a masterwork dagger 'consecrated' to one of the death gods, likely Nerull or Wee Jas.

Aleous
You detect nothing magical. Though, the necklace is a wooden unholy symbol and you recognise it as such.

Firebeard
2009-09-20, 06:41 AM
Jared Belden

"That's a quality blade for anyone who cares to handle such a thing." He turns to Zieg, "If you are so minded, see what you can get out of the other guard. And be quick about it! I think Eric is correct. We need to press on"

industrious
2009-09-20, 09:53 AM
Blitzkranz shrugs at the steward's response. "Darn." He then cuts the man's throat, finishing him off. Taking the sheath from the dead man, he wipes the dagger clean on the man's shirt. Standing up, he remarks "And that was a good threat, too. I worked hard on that. And most of it was even true. Some days..."

"Well then, shall we go?"

HereticNox
2009-09-21, 03:36 PM
Aleous distastefully eyes Blitzkranz as he drives his knife into the steward's neck. "Well, be careful not to tread blood. A trail leading to directly to us is not satisfactory."

Firebeard
2009-09-21, 04:07 PM
Jared

"Lead the way Zieg, I shall follow behind."

Jared positioned himself beside the stairs leading to the basement below.

Febreezium
2009-09-22, 02:45 AM
"I... I can't believe you just killed him like that. How tragic for him, and for you... I hope he's at some peace now." Eric kneels down and closes the poor man's eyes.

"That was pretty horrendous, I think that violence will continue to follow you like a wraith whilst you use it so." Eric sighs. "I guess we'll have to continue."

Omegonthesane
2009-09-22, 12:31 PM
The guard Zieg so deftly arrowed notices that Eric is magically healed, and opens his mouth despite bleeding.
"Help... Please..."
((No, this is totally not stalling until I get easy access to my campaign notes again. :smalltongue:))

Firebeard
2009-09-22, 12:55 PM
Jared

Jared hesitates for a moment, remembering his error earlier with the previous guard. "I can bind your wounds and say a prayer for you, but that is all." He reaches into his pack for his healing kit and begins to minister to the guard's wounds as the others make their way to the basement stairs. After a few moments the wound has been cleaned and stitched closed, the area covered by soft gauze and bandages.

industrious
2009-09-22, 07:04 PM
As Jared finishes and descends the stairs with the rest, he finds Blitzkranz waiting for him. As they walk down the steps, he murmurs "What an interesting thing you did just now. Sparing that man's life; few would do the same in your position. Why did you do it?" His tone is neither hostile nor sarcastic, merely curious.

ooc: Could I put in an action so that every minute I renew the entropic ward?

Omegonthesane
2009-09-23, 05:48 PM
((Every minute that isn't part of a combat lasting at least 6 rounds, sure. Although if a combat lasts 6 rounds in PbP, something's wrong. :smallbiggrin:))

You all come down the stairs to find a relatively well-lit corridor, carpeted in blue and lined with candles, which goes straight on for a good fifty feet before turning right. There is another corridor branching off to the left, and a door in the right wall near you.

Blitzkranz, Aleous
You hear chanting of some kind from behind the door. The voices sound human.

industrious
2009-09-23, 07:23 PM
Hearing the sound of chanting by the door. Blitzkranz moves a finger to his lips for silence. He nods his head at Zieg, and jerks it towards the door. He then points at Aleous and points at the candles, then at the cleric.

HereticNox
2009-09-23, 08:13 PM
As quietly as he can, Aleous quickly moves to smother the candles. With a small huff he blows the candles lining the walls.

Firebeard
2009-09-23, 08:20 PM
Jared

Jared readies his flail and moves up behind Zieg to offer support, whatever lies on the other side of the door.

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-24, 08:54 PM
Zieg tries the door quietly. if it is locked, the he motions to Kirin to see if he can pick it. If it is unlocked then Zieg looks at the others and nods as he draws his sword.

Omegonthesane
2009-09-25, 01:02 AM
The door is locked. Kirin soon deals with that, however, straining a little in concentration as he disables the device locking it. The door swings open to a light touch, and maybe breaks down to a harder one.

Inside the room is a chandelier, a chair in the far left corner, and at least three bookshelves. Inside the room are also three robed persons, just wrapping up an ecstatic dance around a magic circle painted on the carpet, with daggers at their belts. One happens to be facing you when their little ritual is over.
"Intruders! Watch out!" she shouts, before turning and fleeing out the opposite door in her surprise round. The other two don't get a surprise round, as they only become aware of you when shouted at.

Initiative! Eric [roll0]
Zieg [roll1]
Blitzkranz [roll2]
Jared [roll3]
Aleous [roll4]
Kirin [roll5]
Cultist 1 [roll6]
Cultist 2 [roll7]

...I probably shouldn't have rolled that before telling you to position yourselves on the updated map (http://www.celestine-empire.net/battlegrid/board.php?sessionID=Devil%20Conspiracy), probably somewhere in the corridor due to space constraints.

Firebeard
2009-09-25, 06:47 AM
I think Zieg would be in H11, as he was positioned to go through the door when it opened. I was right behind him, which would put me in G11. Kirin would have opened the lock from the other side of the door in I11.

HereticNox
2009-09-25, 07:44 AM
Since I went to blow candles, I suppose i would be in F11.

Febreezium
2009-09-25, 07:50 AM
J11, I presume

Omegonthesane
2009-09-25, 08:10 AM
((You don't actually need to spoiler your positions, it's not a secret auction or anything. Also, I'll allow Zieg or anyone who feels like supplanting him as meatshield to be in H10 having opened the door.))

Firebeard
2009-09-25, 09:09 AM
((You don't actually need to spoiler your positions, it's not a secret auction or anything. Also, I'll allow Zieg or anyone who feels like supplanting him as meatshield to be in H10 having opened the door.))

((Meh, I just spoilered it because we don't have an OOC thread and I wanted to keep the metagaming separate from the story))

industrious
2009-09-25, 11:53 AM
I'll start on E11.

After hearing the cultist cry out, Blitzkranz grumbles to himself, and effects a sheepish demeaner. Muttering 'scuse me, pardon me, coming through all the while, he pushes his way inside the door (moves to I9). Hands in his pockets, he give a half-hearted shrug.

"Sorry about that, folks. We didn't mean to just burst in here suddenly, and surprise you like that. See, we here are tax men, and need to serve the current lease holder of this facility an order of eviction. This here house, it's getting demolished soon, and we want everyone out and unharmed. Could you take us to the lease holder, so he could sign some forms about this?"

Bluff check
[roll0]

If it doesn't work, Blitzkranz remarks "So much for non-violence" and blasts the Cultist at K7.

Attack Roll[roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Omegonthesane
2009-09-25, 01:03 PM
The two cultists still in the room don't visibly relax, but you do notice that they don't start blasting you. The one nearer to the door speaks to Blitzkranz first, without pulling her hood back.
"Really? Well, the master is occupied with very important work right now. I don't think we can call him while he's at it. What was that commotion upstairs though?"
((and now I have to roll Initiative again if anyone derails the situation))

industrious
2009-09-25, 02:10 PM
"The guards posted upstairs were rowdy. Kept complaining about their pay. And in any case, we do need these forms signed soon, or it'll be our heads on the line. Boss doesn't like tardiness. Think somebody shoved a quill up where the sun don't shine."

Omegonthesane
2009-09-25, 02:16 PM
"...The master's task is far more important than any mortal forms. If he is not allowed to complete it, there'll be worse than your boss to worry about, for all of us... Tell you what, can I sign in his name?"

There follows a raft of flavour text to distract you from what should be an important detail just revealed.

Firebeard
2009-09-25, 03:46 PM
Jared

"...The master's task is far more important than any mortal forms. If he is not allowed to complete it, there'll be worse than your boss to worry about, for all of us..."

Hearing these words, Jared muttered so that only Zieg could hear, "We don't have time for this!" and charged the nearest cultist.

Omegonthesane
2009-09-25, 05:38 PM
So much for the peaceful way! The cultists can see you, you know, and they aren't completely slow.
Zieg [roll0]
Eric [roll1]
Jared [roll2]
Blitzkranz [roll3]
Aleous [roll4]
Kirin [roll5]
Cultist 1 [roll6]
Cultist 2 [roll7]
Which makes the initiative order Aleous, Eric, Cultist 1, Kirin, Jared, Zieg, Cultist 2, Blitzkranz.

Aleous' turn

HereticNox
2009-09-27, 11:46 AM
Moving into the room, Aleous raises his hand. His face betraying his slight annoyance at such rash actions. A silverly aura appears around his hand, and suddenly it flies off in the direction of the cultist.

OOC:
Not looking at the map, so If it is illegal have me load my crossbow.
Using my Magical devotion for an attack
Ranged Touch Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Omegonthesane
2009-09-27, 12:09 PM
It involves moving to H9, but that's within a 20ft move speed, so fine. I'm guessing you blast Cultist 1 because she's closer and higher on the initiative count.

The woman clutches her gut as the bolt strikes her and falls to the floor, badly winded. There's a nice big cut in her robe, revealing the dress underneath; there's a very small cut in that, revealing part of a rather large bruise caused by Aleous' blast.
"Fools...." No one could possibly get their next action after that, but she doesn't look dead.

Eric's turn

Febreezium
2009-09-27, 12:42 PM
Having everyone in his way, Eric can pretty much only hold his action until other people have moved and will allow him through.

OOC: Essentially, Eric will be running into the room as soon as there's enough space for him to do so this turn.

Omegonthesane
2009-09-27, 02:56 PM
((We already covered this, moving through friends doesn't cost any more movement than moving through empty squares. You just can't end your move in the same square as a friend normally. Aleous already did a full move through four people. But sure, if that's what you want.))

Eric delays.

Cultist 1's turn
Due to being on the floor and in rather a lot of obvious pain, she doesn't do anything.

Kirin's turn
Kirin squeezes past Eric's square to get out of his way.

Jared's turn

Febreezium
2009-09-27, 03:27 PM
OOC: Yeah, I know, it just doesn't seem IC for Eric to be barging his way through people like that. If he's near someone and still has a standard action available, he'll probably strike out at someone.

Firebeard
2009-09-27, 04:26 PM
Jared

Jared rushes to the cultist on his left and swings his flail at his legs, trying to knock the woman to the ground before crushing her with the spiked head of his flail.

Trip, then attack if tripped...

[roll0]
[roll1]

if tripped, follow up attack
[roll2]
[roll3]

That puts me in J8.

Omegonthesane
2009-09-27, 04:28 PM
Cultist's strength to not be tripped [roll0]
If needed:
Cultist's strength to trip you [roll1]
Your strength to not be tripped [roll2]

In a miracle of positioning and sheer will, the other cultist not only holds firm, but knocks Jared's flail to the floor.

Zieg's turn

Firebeard
2009-09-27, 04:32 PM
Jared drops his flail to avoid being tripped.

HereticNox
2009-09-29, 12:12 PM
Was going to make diplomacy check, but forget 10 consecutive rounds of action. Unless I rush it, and take a -10 penalty :smallannoyed:

Are we waiting for Zieg

13379\/\/4R
2009-09-29, 12:30 PM
If I can I rush up to the uninjured cultist and attack with my longsword. if I can't reach him i will finish of the injured one.

Attack
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Omegonthesane
2009-09-29, 12:58 PM
The second cultist is about to speak the same dreadful incantation that the steward was using earlier when Zieg slices through her chest. She reacts too late, turning outright bisection into merely a lot of blood on the floor, a ruined robe and dress, and a wound probably beyond mundane healing.

You win combat! Find your own victory music this time.

As mentioned, one of the cultists isn't even dying, and she speaks up despite her injury.
"Why so brutal? Do you even have... ugh... Do you have any idea what's going on here?"

Febreezium
2009-09-29, 03:47 PM
"What is going on? I got the feeling that we were a little lied to about what was going on here but the talk of 'Masters' and 'Rituals' didn't really contradict that... until now. I think I can convince these guys to not kill you if you talk to us."

industrious
2009-09-29, 04:35 PM
Blitzkranz raises his right hand. "I wasn't trying to kill anybody, just get past without bloodshed. It was the priest that attacked you. Please, ma'am, tell us about the ritual, about the necromancer. I fear that we have been set up."

Firebeard
2009-09-29, 04:48 PM
Jared

Jared leaned over and picked his flail up from the ground. "Is there or isn't there a necromancer that makes this place his home? The one we've heard has been raising undead to terrorize this area? Talk, and I'll listen. If I was hasty in my rush to end this menace, well, then I will do all I can to make amends."

HereticNox
2009-09-29, 08:00 PM
"Well it wasn't any lasting damage. I incapacitated you, ensuring your safety and ours. If you would have remained standing, no doubt that you also would have tried to attack. Which would have had an undesirable outcome." He speaks flatly, with his eyes lingering on the fresh corpse littering the ground. Aleous is accustomed to bloodshed, though the brutality of the strike was unnerving. Lowering himself to eye level with the cultist, his dark eyes stare intently at her.

"I have my suspicions about the one who hired us. Perhaps you can enlighten us to what is going on here."

Omegonthesane
2009-09-30, 02:28 AM
"I probably don't know it all, but I'll tell you what I know. Master Naveg claims there is a plot among the nobles, to summon the creatures of Hell to this world. This place, he says, is consecrated to an archdevil; I know for sure he is trying to rededicate it to Nerull." The cultist thinks for a moment on Jared's question, then decides she is in no position to deceive. "The Master has terrorised this place, yes. His zombies and skeletons have consistently been sent to hamper the conspirators, disrupting messages and caravans and freeing slaves. Admittedly, in his spare time, he quests for immortality, and needs slaves for his experiments. But punishing him now would be... counterproductive." Finally, she regards Aleous, the one who blasted her. "I'll be fine. But my child... I was with child..."

HereticNox
2009-09-30, 07:04 AM
Wordlessly Aleous examines the cultist, his eyes furrowed in concern. His hand suddenly glows, the light more peaceful than the previous demonstrations. Reaching down he channels the holy power into cultist. "I...I have done all I can." Signalling to Jared, his tone is pleading "Please see to her, Jared."

I suppose from now on I can cast cure spells, since I never made the choice
Heal Check to see about her child's condition:smallfrown:[roll0]

Giving up Nimbus of Light for a cure light wounds for her and her baby
[roll1]

Firebeard
2009-09-30, 07:12 AM
Jared moved forward and examined the woman.

[roll0]

While I am praying for Divine guidance in healing, I'd like to use that as a cover to try and sense motive as well.

[roll1]

"Your physical wounds appear to be healed completely. As for the baby, I got a sense of life, but nothing definitive. A baby floats in a pool of water in your belly, cushioned from external blows. The scorching on your dress and the bruising around your belly suggest a hard hit, but there is a very good chance that no lasting harm was done to you or your child."

Febreezium
2009-09-30, 08:08 AM
OOC: Jeezy Chreezy man, you rolled a natural one! You 've probably just blinded her!

"It looks like we may be looking at a case of the lesser of two evils here. Interesting. Not that we can go down and talk to your Master about this now because we've blithely broken in and attacked people... Hmmm. What do you guys think we should do?"

industrious
2009-09-30, 01:21 PM
Blitzkranz responds immediately to the monk's query. "We should talk to the necromancer. Let him explain himself honestly and fairly. I would see no harm in it, if the priests are willing to behave themselves. I would prefer to not get involved in practical theology. Such demonstrations often end badly for one such as myself."

Omegonthesane
2009-09-30, 03:10 PM
Aleous
Your Heal check is inconclusive.

Jared
Your Heal check is inconclusive, but at least you didn't blind her.
To the best of her knowledge, everything she just said is absolutely true.

The cultist sighs in relief as the positive energy burst heals her wounds, then gets up, and immediately tends to her dying friend; unfortunately, she is unable to patch up the wounds, and soon gives up, with tears glinting on her face. "You've done too much already, I won't let you leave empty-handed. Take the south door, and keep taking every right turn until you come to the old servant's quarters. There'll be guards there, but you can handle them. The slaves are in the next room after that. Please..." One does not require a Sense Motive check to notice that this lady isn't just serving Master Naveg out of loyalty.

industrious
2009-09-30, 09:25 PM
Blitzkranz begins to walk towards the south door, not looking back to check on the woman or to see if anybody is following him. "Come, comrades. There are people to be freed." The chaotic energy around him continues in its intricate, random patterns. The warlock's voice is cold, harsh, and filled with purpose. Every footfall of booted feet is another step closer towards the captives. Every move is precise and defined; there is nothing casual about the man.

HereticNox
2009-09-30, 10:19 PM
A sigh escape Aleous as his watches his companion boldlessly venture. Turning back to the woman, "I know not what god you serve. Would it be acceptable if I blessed the child."

13379\/\/4R
2009-10-01, 11:16 AM
Zieg quickly catches up to Blitzkranz and says, "Ah'm always up for another fight. Maybe the next guys will actualy put up a fight!" and quickly cleans the blood of of his sword.

Firebeard
2009-10-01, 12:18 PM
Jared

As he turned to follow Blitzkranz, Jared has a look of consternation on his face. First the warlock, now this thing with the woman. Was he wrong? Had his decision to rush into battle to head off the warnings of the woman that fled led to the death of an innocent? Was he now going to have to make common cause with a necromancer - one who he was taught in the enclave was an embodiment of evil, turning the dead into puppets for his own pleasure and gain?

What exactly have we gotten ourselves into?

Febreezium
2009-10-01, 12:22 PM
Eric follows the others, but sounds a note of caution. "Given the last fight, would it be sensible to consider what's going on before we blather in and start attacking people?"

13379\/\/4R
2009-10-01, 09:07 PM
Zieg shrugs. "Eh. I don't care either way, as long as I get a decent fight and some money.

Omegonthesane
2009-10-02, 04:12 AM
I'm guessing you're eventually going to go down the corridor...

Also, I just realised I handled Jared's trip attempt wrong, both him and the girl he tripped should have (under Tome combat rules) just needed to make a Str+BaB check at DC 10 + Best of (Enemy Str+BaB) or (Enemy Balance mod). A little less dice rolling involved, remember for next time.

As you travel, the stale air begins to carry the stench of blood, and recent death. The torches lining the walls grow fainter, barely more than candles, and small bones line the floor. You hear faint moaning from a long way away, then distant footsteps behind you, then nearby footsteps in front of you, then you come to a T-junction. You were told to go right to find the slaves, and that seems to be where the nearby footsteps are coming from.

Gameplay-wise, everything is now in dim light, but it's still all lit. You could light a torch to get better light if you really want to.

Eric, Aleous
You are first to notice that there is an armoured-looking figure incoming from the right, with what looks like a polearm.

Firebeard
2009-10-02, 06:55 AM
((Okay, you just lost me. I was using PHB rules for the trip attempt. Can you explain what you just said without the acronyms? Oh, and by the PHB, if I lose my opposed Strength check to trip, I don't immediately fall over. The opponent has the opportunity to make another Strength check to trip me))

Omegonthesane
2009-10-02, 07:58 AM
((I claimed I was using variant combat rules, from Frank & K's Races of War. Under those, a trip attempt consists of a Strength check, to which your Base Attack Bonus is added, against a flat DC equal to the higher of 10 + the target's Strength modifier + the target's base attack bonus, or 10 + the target's Dexterity bonus + the target's ranks in Balance. Therefore, one roll per attempt, rather than two, and your BaB means something.
The only acronym I used was BaB = Base Attack Bonus. I did however use the following abbreviations: Str = Strength, mod = Modifier, Tome = Rules from the Tome series started by Frank & K. Looking back I really didn't explain it very well, and I apologise for that.))

Firebeard
2009-10-02, 08:08 AM
((How does that work with Weapon Focus and Improved Trip feats? Would I be rolling a Strength check + BAB + WF + IT? So d20 + 2(str) + 1(wf) +4(it)?

Edit: Where can I get a look at the Tome combat stuff?))

Omegonthesane
2009-10-02, 02:03 PM
((How does that work with Weapon Focus and Improved Trip feats? Would I be rolling a Strength check + BAB + WF + IT? So d20 + 2(str) + 1(wf) +4(it)?

Edit: Where can I get a look at the Tome combat stuff?))

((Improved Trip would give +4 as normal, and Weapon Focus needs a boost anyway, so sure, why not let it give +1 to trip attempts.
The Tome combat stuff that I'm using was linked in the recruit thread, here it is again. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Races_of_War_(3.5e_Sourcebook)/Advanced_Combat)))

Firebeard
2009-10-02, 02:05 PM
(( Ah, okay. I remember seeing it, but I must have forgotten to go back and read it. ))

Febreezium
2009-10-02, 03:07 PM
Eric steps across activates the Gentle Handshake, with the aim of using the free AoO it grants to disarm the incoming aggressor.

If this fails, he'll try to knock the man away with his attack, aiming not to kill but not to pull his punches either.

Omegonthesane
2009-10-02, 03:40 PM
Everyone now notices that there's a man coming towards them from the corridor. He looks at Eric, and blinks, and blinks again, and then swears profusely. "Intruders! Alarm! Alarm!" He turns and runs for it despite being in heavy armour, and around a corner. However, you're probably already pursuing him before he gets that far.

Firebeard
2009-10-02, 04:23 PM
Jared

"Eric! Put him on the ground!" Jared shouts as he readies his flail.

HereticNox
2009-10-02, 04:52 PM
As the guard sprints off, Aleous is right after him. He draws his mace out from under his robes. Aleous was never comfortable with close quarters fighting, but he didn't have time to load his blasted crossbow. "Jared, how much more healing can you preform."

Firebeard
2009-10-02, 05:14 PM
Jared

Wryly, Jared grinned at his fellow priest and said "I have a spell or two left. Not enough to get us through a lot of damage, so try and duck."

Jared chased off down the corridor after Aleous.

industrious
2009-10-02, 05:17 PM
Still surrounded by his eldritch aura, Blitzkranz bursts into a sprint after the guard. He doesn't speak, has been silent ever since he started walking towards the slave quarters.

Omegonthesane
2009-10-04, 11:29 AM
Between them, Eric and Blitzkranz have little to no trouble getting either side of the guard just as he turns the next corner, which is enough to trap him in a small corridor like this one. However, by shifting his grip on his glaive, he manages to get a swing at Eric as he passes by.
Attack roll [roll0] & damage [roll1]
Miraculously, the thug manages to cleave open Eric's chest, but this isn't a boss fight so Eric automatically stabilises at -1 HP.

On the plus side, he is very much within Eldritch Blast range, and the next corner he can run behind is behind a door.

((I looked at Eric's character sheet, and I wonder where that +3 Deflection came from? It was +3 Wis to AC, and +4 Armoured in Life, not deflection...))

industrious
2009-10-04, 08:13 PM
Blitzkranz blasts him. He still doesn't speak.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

If the guard is downed, Blitzkranz draws his dagger, and carves a strange arcane symbol onto the dead man's face.

It's the Rune of Pursuit, the holy symbol of Trithereon. I don't know what the knowledge (religion) check is to identify it, though

13379\/\/4R
2009-10-04, 10:40 PM
Zieg will rush the guard and attack with Sapphire Nightmare Blade if he can reach. If not, charge and attack.

Concentration check (DC= Guards AC, if succesful the guard is flat-footed for my attack, if it fails i get my normal attack at a -2 penalty)

[roll0]

Attack

[roll1]

Damage

[roll2]

Omegonthesane
2009-10-05, 01:55 AM
Oh, should've rolled init. Guard gets a natural 1 for doing that to Eric before init came up, putting him at count 2. Everyone else:
Aleous [roll0]
Jared [roll1]
Blitzkranz [roll2]
Zieg [roll3]
Kirin [roll4]

Zieg's turn

Despite mistiming his attack so it didn't exploit the enemy's moment of weakness, Zieg cleaves through a gap in the guard's armour and nearly lops his arm off. The guard falls to the floor in shock, screaming.
You win combat, making the above initiative roll completely pointless. However, you have, maybe, 1 round to heal up before someone right behind the nearest door responds to the alarm cries.

Febreezium
2009-10-05, 03:45 AM
Between them, Eric and Blitzkranz have little to no trouble getting either side of the guard just as he turns the next corner, which is enough to trap him in a small corridor like this one. However, by shifting his grip on his glaive, he manages to get a swing at Eric as he passes by.
Attack roll [roll0] & damage [roll1]
Miraculously, the thug manages to cleave open Eric's chest, but this isn't a boss fight so Eric automatically stabilises at -1 HP.

On the plus side, he is very much within Eldritch Blast range, and the next corner he can run behind is behind a door.

((I looked at Eric's character sheet, and I wonder where that +3 Deflection came from? It was +3 Wis to AC, and +4 Armoured in Life, not deflection...))

OOC: I didn't know where to put the Wis to AC bonus, so I guess and put it there. Where do you think it should have gone?

Also, stop rolling so well to hit poor Eric! :smallannoyed:

Firebeard
2009-10-05, 06:58 AM
OOC: I didn't know where to put the Wis to AC bonus, so I guess and put it there. Where do you think it should have gone?

((OOC: No kidding. I am running out of heals)

Firebeard
2009-10-05, 07:02 AM
Jared
With a muttered curse at the guard's lucky hit, Jared knelt to inspect Eric's wound. It was bad...real bad. Knowing he only had 1 prepared healing spell remaining, and that they had a long way yet to go, he nevertheless realized that Eric would die if he didn't do something. With a muttered prayer his hands glowed briefly as he moved them over the gaping rent in Eric's chest.

[roll0]

That done, he moved forward to the door to stand beside Zieg and await the incoming attack.

Omegonthesane
2009-10-05, 07:12 AM

((I'd have put the Wis to AC in your Dex to AC bonus, since the exact wording is that you can use your Wis instead of your Dex as an AC bonus whenever it comes up.

Also, if it's any consolation, I'm thinking you should get bonus XP for having two near-death experiences, I just can't decide how much bonus XP.))

((OOC: No kidding. I am running out of heals)

((You should probably have burned a cantrip to cast Cure Minor when dealing with the two NPCs you healed. It's enough to keep an injured person from death after all, even if it doesn't make them fighting fit.

Also, I have a mental block comprehending why a nonevil cleric of a nonevil god would ever prepare non-metamagicked Cure spells, given the whole spontaneous curing thing. But still.

And how long you have yet to go depends largely on how much you want to pursue Naveg now you realise his actual goals here. I'm not strictly holding myself to only giving you XP if you down him; maybe there's another potential boss somewhere in the plot. :smallwink:))

Firebeard
2009-10-05, 07:31 AM
((OOC Burning the cantrip would have been the correct "gaming" action, but since this is Jared's first foray into the "real world" beyond the chapterhouse, I am intent on having him make a few rookie mistakes...including using a full heal on an NPC, instead of just stabilizing him.

As for the prepared "heal" spells, yeah that was a mistake when I was writing my sheet. If we ever get out of here and have a chance to rest, I'll switch up my spell order a bit.

As for the rest of the party, how much further we go largely depends on what lies behind Door #1. Should we free the slaves and get while the getting's good? Let's find out. ))

industrious
2009-10-05, 07:43 AM
((ooc: We should free the slaves at least. Blitzkranz is very anti-slavery, so he'll do it even if he's alone. He does worship a god of liberty and individuality, after all))

Omegonthesane
2009-10-05, 07:50 AM
((OK, that's everyone except HereticNox. Technically, you're all in a 5' corridor (hence why poor Eric got AoOed) so you're probably going to want to kick down the door.

Also, in case I actually let one of your characters die, I have a backup already statted out and I can probably stat up that cultist as a PC to save you dice rolling. For three in-game months at least, since she's somewhere in the first trimester.))

HereticNox
2009-10-05, 08:42 AM
As Aleous watches the flashing of swords, he averts his eyes as the guard's arm flops to the floor. His attention was elsewhere. He was moving forward, as Eric dropped to the floor in a deadly hit. Jared was quicker to react, and Aleous was pleased to see the skill in which Jared healed their fallen compatriot.

"Let's quickly free the slaves, then perhaps retreat till this situation becomes clear."

13379\/\/4R
2009-10-05, 01:58 PM
Zieg stretchis for a moment to refocus his mind(refreshes his manever, just in case) and calmly says, "Are we ready to go in?" He then points at Eric,"Try to leave the getting injured to me, afterall, I'm tougher than a human."

Firebeard
2009-10-05, 02:14 PM
Jared

Jared looked at Zied and nodded. "Go" he said, readying himself to charge in after the hobgoblin.

13379\/\/4R
2009-10-05, 03:38 PM
Zieg does a few deep breaths, and bursts through the door to the servants quarters and points his blood-stained sword at the nearest guard and proclaims with a calm confidence " I will kill you" OOC: Zieg instigates a duel of wills with the nearest guard.

Concentration check(with a +4 bonus thanks to Unnerving Calm)

1d20+11

13379\/\/4R
2009-10-05, 03:39 PM
OOC: Whoops

[roll0]

Omegonthesane
2009-10-05, 04:33 PM
"You will try," says the nearest guard to Zieg, before shifting his grip on his glaive. He clearly looks somewhat more competent than the guys with flails behind him.
He ignored your challenge, but you passed DC 15 so you get +1 to hit him 1st round. The flail guys flex too as the adrenaline begins pumping. You outnumber them, especially with Eric healed, but luck could change everything.

Zieg
He's no student of the Sublime Way, but you have heard of other martial styles, and a sword in the gut is ultimately a sword in the gut no matter how it got there.

Blitzkranz, Aleous, Jared
IC mode: The flail guys are just hired thugs, but the glaive-bearer's weapon is of too fine a make, and his stance too telling. He knows what he's doing and he likes it.

Metagame mode: The glaive-bearer has a level in a PC martial class, not an NPC martial class.

Please stick yourselves between row I and row N (inclusive) on the map (http://www.celestine-empire.net/battlegrid/DM.php?sessionID=Devil%20Conspiracy), and this link gives you editing permissions to save me the effort. I'd let you go into row H, but that's in range of Glaive-Bearer's glaive.

HereticNox
2009-10-05, 06:07 PM
OOC: Placed myself at K7, which should just put me in range to hit a guard with a magic devotion blast. Are we rolling new initiative?

industrious
2009-10-05, 08:03 PM
OOC: Put me in J9. Additionally, what are the guards wearing (armor-wise)? If someone isn't wearing armor, I'm going to draw my crossbow.

Firebeard
2009-10-05, 09:24 PM
Jared

((OOC: I am in J8, flail in hand))

Omegonthesane
2009-10-06, 02:43 AM
((Just like the other hired thugs, they've been issued with scale mail. That being said, a light crossbow is more painful than an eldritch blast until 3rd level...))

13379\/\/4R
2009-10-06, 07:44 AM
OOC: I'm next to Aleous, and I get a +2 because of Unnerving calm

industrious
2009-10-06, 08:22 AM
((true, but eldritch blast is more accurate (touch attack)))

Omegonthesane
2009-10-06, 01:30 PM
OOC: I'm next to Aleous, and I get a +2 because of Unnerving calm

((Oops, didn't spot that. Now we're just waiting on Eric again...))

Firebeard
2009-10-06, 01:48 PM
(( OOC: what? no, leave him out of it! He'll just get hurt again and I'll have to patch him back up))

Febreezium
2009-10-07, 05:29 AM
OOC: Maybe I was just being dense but I was under the impression I was still incapped! Anyway, Eric would be around I6.

Omegonthesane
2009-10-07, 08:36 AM
That's everyone, so INITIATIVE!

Eric [roll0]
Zieg [roll1]
Blitzkranz [roll2]
Jared [roll3]
Aleous [roll4]
Glaivebearer [roll5]
Flail 1 [roll6]
Flail 2 [roll7]
Kirin [roll8]
Which makes the initiative order Aleous, Kirin, Zieg, Eric, Jared, Glaivebearer, Flail 1, Blitzkranz, Flail 2.

Aleous' turn

HereticNox
2009-10-07, 08:51 AM
Moving swiftly Aleous advances several feet and with a flip of his hand, sends a bolt of magical energy at the glaive bearing guard.

OOC: 5 foot step to J7, which should put me in range for my magic devotion attack. Which is fueled by burning two of my turn undead attempts. Now Aleous is kinda of out of spells, that are useful.

[roll0] hope this hits, wow that's lame
[roll1]

13379\/\/4R
2009-10-07, 12:53 PM
Zieg charges the glaive guard with a steely glare in his eyes, intent on fufilling his promise.

Attack
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Omegonthesane
2009-10-07, 05:25 PM
Aleous' mystic blast goes wide; however, Zieg gets his promise fulfilled: despite his fast reactions, the glaive-bearer's head is neatly bisected, and he falls dead to the floor.

Eric/Jared's turn (they were tied for Initiative)

Firebeard
2009-10-07, 05:42 PM
Jared - Round 1

Jared charged the flail wielder on the left, swinging his heavy flail in a wide arc to crash against the guard's chest. A meaty thud and a gasp as the air is driven from the guard's lungs sounded as the evidence of the hit.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Febreezium
2009-10-08, 07:50 AM
Eric, unperturbed by his constant punishment, moves towards the flail-bearer on the right and attacks.

[roll0]
[roll1]

OOC: You've put me in I5 when I said I6, by the way...

Omegonthesane
2009-10-08, 11:10 AM
OOC: You've put me in I5 when I said I6, by the way...
((Not likely - I5 is a wall. Check again maybe?))

Jared's blow lands solidly, sending the thug sprawling to the floor with blood leaking from his head. Good thing you already have a guard upstairs to interrogate. Eric's punch is almost dodged... almost; it glances the other guard's head, and he grunts in pain.

Blitzkranz' turn

industrious
2009-10-08, 11:19 AM
Quiet rage fueling his actions, Blitzkranz channels his anger and unleashes eldritch fury at the other flail wielder.

Attack

Damage
[roll]1d6

industrious
2009-10-08, 11:23 AM
Rolling damage

[roll0]

[roll0]

EDIT: rolled twice because I thought I had previewed it accidentally.

Omegonthesane
2009-10-09, 02:00 AM
There is a satisfying 'tink' as the flail thug is hit in the chest by the eldritch blast. Unfortunately, his armour seems to take more damage than he does, but he's clearly showing the strain as he finally gets combat ready.

Flail 2's turn

The flail dude tries to send Eric to the floor with a sweep of his flail. Unfortunately for him, Eric has little to no difficulty leaping over the flail swing.
Touch attack [roll0]
Strength + BaB check [roll1] vs DC 15 (10 + Eric's Balance modifier)
Also, as he recovers from the failed trip attempt, he is off guard long enough for Eric to get a swing in if he really wants. ((i.e. he provoked an attack of opportunity by not tripping you))

Aleous' turn

((Also, I seriously think the +3 Wis to AC is meant to be in the Dex modifier slot, given it's a replacement for Dex bonus))

Febreezium
2009-10-09, 09:31 AM
Eric does take this opportunity to attack again.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Omegonthesane
2009-10-09, 09:49 AM
There is a satisfying 'klonk' as Eric's fist strikes the thug's scale mail. There is not a satisfying groan of pain from the thug himself, however.

Firebeard
2009-10-09, 10:05 AM
(( OOC: How did Zieg not provoke an AoO when he charged the glaive wielder? Doesn't a glaive have a 10' reach? I's a little late to ask now, but I was just wondering.))

Omegonthesane
2009-10-09, 11:33 AM
(( OOC: How did Zieg not provoke an AoO when he charged the glaive wielder? Doesn't a glaive have a 10' reach? I's a little late to ask now, but I was just wondering.))

((IIRC you can't make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed, and the glaivebearer's initiative hadn't come up yet, so he was flat-footed. I know that's a little strange given how I described the build up to the first round, but Zieg did start a staring contest duel of wills, and that somehow doesn't affect being flat-footed.))

Firebeard
2009-10-09, 11:53 AM
((OOC: PHB 137, can't believe I missed that one.))

HereticNox
2009-10-09, 03:03 PM
Aleous draws his mace quickly, his eyes trained on the solo guard. He bends his form, ready to react should the guard move at him.

Move Action: draw mace
Ready Action: If the guard charges, attack with the mace
[roll0] attack
[roll1] damage

Omegonthesane
2009-10-09, 06:18 PM
It'll be a while before the guard can even think of charging you but sure, why not.

Kirin's turn

Kirin moves to the closed door, and gets to work on the lock..

Zieg's turn

13379\/\/4R
2009-10-12, 04:36 PM
Zieg moves quickly to attack the flail guy with Sapphire Nightmare Blade!

Concentration
[roll0]

Attack
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]
[roll3]

OOC: If the concentration check beats his ac, then he counts as flatfooted against the attack and i do an extra d6 damage.

Omegonthesane
2009-10-12, 05:11 PM
AC 15, nyer!
Zieg once again mistimes his attack, yet once again still achieves a kill. The guard's leg is separated from his body, and he finally faints from blood loss as the red stuff pools on the floor.

You win combat! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsJl3WkYT-Q) Loot consists of about 20 gold between the guards, plus their armour and weapons, and I should really be doing a better job of keeping track of loot.

Kirin heads off down the door he just unlocked.

industrious
2009-10-14, 11:16 AM
Blitzkranz follows Kirin. Idly flicking his finger, he renews the field of eldritch energy around him.

Firebeard
2009-10-14, 11:29 AM
Jared

Suddenly feeling uneasy, Jared searches the bodies of the guards for any keys for locked doors or cells they might come to, as well as anything the group might find useful.

[roll0]

That done, he follows the rest of the party down the hallway.

Omegonthesane
2009-10-14, 06:21 PM
Jared
You find a ring of keys, as well as the gold the two guards were carrying. Presumably the keys will come in useful somewhere. Most of them look similar, but oen is suspicious simply due to being made of gold.

Down the hallway, Kirin is first to enter a room lined with ten cages, each of which contains a human of some combination of age and sex. He immediately runs to one of them, one containing a woman in green with a white shawl, and breaks out the lockpicks.
"Mum?!"
"Kirin! What are you doing here?"
"Mike said he was holding you, an' sent me with these guys." The boy gestures to the party before getting his mother's cage open... then realises he has a little explaining to do. To the party. "Well, since Michael doesn't have a hold over me now... The Fortesque family owns the machinist's guild in Seberium. They train us as assassins. I was meant to take you out when the necro guy was killed."

Roll all the Sense Motive you like, he isn't bluffing.

((And there's the backup PC. Kirin was a 1st level Rogue all along.))

Firebeard
2009-10-14, 06:35 PM
Jared

"These might help," Jared said as he came into the room of cages. He went to the first one and started trying keys until the door opened. "It sounds like you have a bit more explaining to do," he said to the young rogue.

"What exactly do you know about this necromancer and this man Michael? Was the lady back there telling the truth?" As he was talking to the boy, Jared made his way around the room unlocking cage doors.

industrious
2009-10-14, 06:44 PM
Blitzkranz breaks his silence. Under his breath, you can hear what appears to be a relieved prayer; to whom, you cannot tell.

"What sort of link, Kirin, is there between the necromancer and Michael? And after we are done with the necromancer, I believe I have a plan for Sir Michael..."

The man's tone is light, but his eyes speak of bloodshed.

"Thank you for opening the cage doors, Cleric of Lysander. Thank you...in the name of Trithereon."

HereticNox
2009-10-14, 07:24 PM
[roll0]Knowledge Religion

Aleous observes the proceedings with a discerning eye. "Indeed I had thought Sir Michael had sounded odd. Though I admire your zeal Blitzkranz, but perhaps a less drastic solution is worth exploring."

Omegonthesane
2009-10-15, 03:25 AM
((What was the Knowledge (religion) targeting? If it's Blitz' prayer, you're also going to need a DC 25(!) Listen to make out exactly what he's whispering, by RAW at least. DC 10 if he isn't being too discreet about it.))

"The lady back there was telling the truth, the necromancer is trying to stop something worse." Kirin is somewhat thrown by being directly asked about a link between Naveg and Michael, since he hadn't expected the party to be that many steps ahead yet. "The necromancer is Gavin, Michael's older brother. He was in on some plan they'd hatched until pretty recently, when he suddenly decided to screw it over... And no, I don't know what the plan is, I'm just a flunky. But it wouldn't be so secret if they were only dealing with Nerull."

industrious
2009-10-15, 10:08 AM
ooc: Knowledge religion check was for my reference to Trithereon while speaking to Jared.

Febreezium
2009-10-15, 04:16 PM
"So the man who sent us here to evict a Necromancer really wanted us to stop said Necromancer from halting his own vicious plans? Curious."

industrious
2009-10-15, 04:17 PM
"Additionally, he also wants us to stop the Necromancer's own plans, which might be beneficial in nature. Don't you just love a family that spends time together?"

industrious
2009-10-19, 08:30 PM
Blitzkranz raises his hands, and unleashes eldritch fire towards every empty cage, ruining them for any possible use other than scrap metal.

HereticNox
2009-10-19, 09:28 PM
Aleous can't help but chuckle as Blitzkranz destroys the cages. "A good response chap."

Firebeard
2009-10-19, 09:29 PM
Jared

"The way I see it, we have a couple of options. We can go to the Necromancer right now, and either fight him or see if he can (and will) shed some light on what's going on here. Or we can go back to the inn, rest up ,and see Michael about the "new" information we have received."

"I don't like the thought of joining forces with a necromancer, but given that we set his slaves free I doubt he would be all that thrilled to invite us in with open arms either. And I'm about out of healing spells for the day. Eric tapped me out" He grinned at the big monk.

Omegonthesane
2009-10-20, 05:19 AM
"I say we take out Mike before we arrest Gavin, and don't seriously consider workin' with him. He had me mum behind bars, I'll see him suffer for that." Kirin thinks a moment, visibly straining for the right words, then dishes out more plot speaks further. "The necro, we can just arrest and bring to the right authorities, like you were told to. Mike, though... he's a genius, and he's got the connections, he'd have us behind bars if we took him to the magistrate. We'll have to kill 'im."

industrious
2009-10-20, 11:26 AM
"How much power does Michael have personally? No matter how useful brains are, a dagger in the gut can usually trump it (barring magic, of course). What if you, Kirin head back to the inn while we follow at a safe distance? Tell him you've succeeded in killing us, backstab him while he congratulates you, and we burst in to finish up the job. It might work. It might get us killed, too."

Omegonthesane
2009-10-20, 01:20 PM
"He's no mage, and never served in the army, but he's the best duelist in Fortesque's court, bar none, and a regular contestant in nationwide tourneys. Rumour has it he's the family assassin, although I'd never have thought him so brave as that. Finally, he's about as good at seein' other people's lies as he is at spinnin' his own." For a moment the boy thinks, then recalls another detail. "Besides, the exact plan was, he would put you all up and then I'd slit your throats. Basically, the easy way is taking him down before he knows what's going on, but failing that he isn't exactly made of iron."

industrious
2009-10-25, 07:40 PM
"Alright, then. Does anybody else have any ideas?"

HereticNox
2009-10-25, 07:55 PM
"But he is exceedingly skilled, which is more troublesome. Though restitutions for this must be payed in full." Aleous caresses his holy symbol, muttering a small prayer.

industrious
2009-10-25, 08:04 PM
OoC: I don't know if I'm supposed to tell what the knowledge check result was, but since it was higher than 17, I think I can tell you that Trithereon is the god of liberty and individuality.

Omegonthesane
2009-10-26, 02:39 AM
((Generally it's DC 10 to know that the god/organisation exists and what they supposedly do, DC 15 to get that in a little more detail, and DC 20 to know one of their most important secrets. Although, for laughs and flavour, knowledge checks on the Archdevils give you false information at DC 10.))

Firebeard
2009-10-26, 06:57 AM
Jared

"Either way, we should be quick about it. I don't know if the Necromancer - Gavin was it? - will give us much more time before we are inundated with his creatures."

industrious
2009-10-26, 07:04 AM
"Let's get out of here. The problem is, we can't go back to the inn without alerting Michael, and you two priests are out of prayers-at least the kind that work. Kirin, is there any other inn we can rest at?"

Febreezium
2009-10-26, 04:53 PM
"Can we allow the wait, though? What if this ceremony that's being done actually is evil? Or, what happens if it's vital for general all-round goodness and the Necromancer is attacked during the performance?"

industrious
2009-10-26, 05:03 PM
"Wonderful; on the one hand, we have a traitor who is going to kill us once we succeed, and on the other, we have a man who may or may not be helping us, but whose men we have killed. We've lost our guidance from on high, and in the stronghold of our perhaps-enemy. You raise a good point, Eric; we're already here, so let's see through this thing to the end. Kirin, I don't suppose you have any weapons on you? I can lend you my crossbow if you don't."

Omegonthesane
2009-10-26, 05:49 PM
"I only have a dagger, I was expecting to stick it where it hurts rather than get in a fair fight... As I understand it, Gavin worships Nerull, so he'll probably be trying to dedicate this place to death. After that, we're screwed, because we let someone run from that first room." Finally, the boy realises he's going to need to suggest another inn, and then his mother cuts in.
"Your best bet would be to blow town, sleep in the woods if you need to at all. Failing that, the owner of the Drunken Dwarf owes me a few favours, I could get you beds there. Besides, he'll probably do anything for customers the way things are, especially if you aren't too fussy about how the beds are." While the Drunken Dwarf is fairly reputable and kept clean, it's got pretty spartan accommodation. And by 'pretty spartan' I mean 'straw mattress, homespun sheet, maybe a pillow if you're lucky, and the floor is most definitely not heated'.

HereticNox
2009-10-30, 05:12 PM
Aleous had been slightly listening to the others converse. Finally at the conclusion of Kirin's mother speech "Blitzkranz, I applaud your drive to complete our assignment. Though I must disagree. I believe as this fine lady has proposed, that leaving would be the best choice. I don't believe our weapons will be much use against such an opponent."

Turning to Kirin's mother, "Madam I must thank you for offering us shelter." He takes a small bow towards the lady, "I'm sure that we all will be delighted with the accommodations, considering the alternatives."

Firebeard
2009-10-30, 07:44 PM
Jared

"It seems that retiring to the new inn for a rest and recovery might be in order. I agree with my fellow cleric's assessment and could really use the recovery time for my spells."

industrious
2009-10-30, 08:24 PM
Blitzkranz draws his crossbow and bolt case, and hands it over to Kirin.

"You need it more than I do."

Omegonthesane
2009-10-31, 11:43 AM
"You're welcome. I do my best." Kirin's mother curtsies, then looks around. "We need to get outta here. Kirin, you're a man now, so I won't stop you getting revenge, but try to hit Gavin when you have the advantage, OK?"
"OK." Kirin turns to Blitzkranz, and takes the crossbow, obviously grateful. "Thanks, this will really help. I can put one in a man's head at thirty feet, and against a fencer like Mike, that really means a lot."
"Can we go now?" One of the other slaves, a man wearing an apron over casual clothes, is getting nervous. Apparently Gavin only took these peoples' weapons, if any, from them; even their gold (well, silver and copper) is still at their belts.

((Does anyone want to try to take on Gavin, or should I just say you all leave the dungeon after one more obligatory fight? I'll give you the EXP you've earned...
Also, concerning Michael's fencing skills: This is a world where no one has Plane Shift, which means no 9th level clerics at all (yet), and he's only the best fencer in his father's court, and he's only one guy. You aren't totally outmatched. Yet.
Also also: New and improved posting, now with color-coding for named NPCs!))

Febreezium
2009-10-31, 12:25 PM
"I don't think we can leave this young man to face this enemy alone. Besides, there's still so much we don't know about this situation; I think at the very least, we should try to speak to this Necromancer. Do any of you know of any magic that could do this?"

Omegonthesane
2009-10-31, 03:06 PM
"Dude, I'll go with you. We regroup, then kill the bastard. I'm not dumb enough to take on Mike or Gavin without preparing." Kirin doesn't answer the question about magic in any way. The man in the apron does.
"You mean from a safe distance? The priests of Fharlangn have some ritual that lets them talk to anyone in the kingdom from one of their shrines, but it takes all day, and it'll cost you. Alternately you could just ask for an appointment."

industrious
2009-10-31, 03:23 PM
"We could have asked to make an appointment with Gavin instead of going in guns blazing? I really loathe Michael."

Omegonthesane
2009-11-09, 11:01 AM
"He wanted the guy dead, not just stopped, mind."

((Since it's been 9 days without any objections...))

The party find their way out the way they came, since the basement isn't exactly a maze. The cultist who directed them to the slaves seems a lot happier to see her husband is safe, and there weren't any police waiting outside to finish you off. That would be too unsubtle. Fortunately there isn't enough snow for a footprint trail, and there won't be until next winter.

The Drunken Dwarf is locked, but far from unoccupied. When the door opens, it reveals an elderly orc with a twinkle in his eyes and a warm, inviting grin. He has, however, just thrown on an apron over pyjamas and fluffy slippers.
"Not often you get customers at this time of year! And Mistress Edea, good to see you again!"
"So, you will give us rooms? We need shelter from dark, dark plans."
"For you? Of course! Just come on in. Usual rates, a silver per bed and breakfast sold separately. Especially with this many, eh?" The Drunken Dwarf isn't a huge place, but it's easily good enough for a town inn, and looks well-constructed if not fancy. Most of the tables and chairs are bare wood, and the closest thing to decoration is a paint job on the walls and a little symbol hanging from behind the bar. There seems to be one other person working somewhere behind the bar.

Aleous, Jared
That's the symbol of Hextor, lord of might and tyranny, famously worshipped by the most vicious of soldiers and officials. His priesthood advocate the enforcement of order by any amount of force that is necessary, and in a dangerous world, many can see the appeal.

industrious
2009-11-09, 11:31 AM
Blitzkranz stares at the bartender. "Ale...and a bowl of stew for me." The warlock looks as if a vein is about to burst. His face twitches, and his right hand is clenched.

HereticNox
2009-11-09, 01:03 PM
"If you are still serving dinner, a bowl of stew would be most fortifying. Also if you happen to have any wine, that would be appreciated." Sitting down, Aleous eyes the symbols on the wall. A small look of satisfaction crosses his face as the symbols meanings become clear. A follower of Hextor, a little violent but they mean well.

Firebeard
2009-11-09, 01:40 PM
Jared

"An inn dedicated to Hextor seems an odd place for those who would have been slaves to frequent," Jared said, jaw clenched tight. The Hierocracy of Lysander's Church had a lot to say about Hextor, none of it very good.

Omegonthesane
2009-11-14, 04:44 AM
The bartender hears people making orders, and steps forward. He's a half-orc who looks fairly similar to the owner of this establishment, albeit not as happy to see you, and actually dressed in a uniform bearing the Drunken Dwarf logo. By the smell on his breath, he's had one or two drinks already, but hey.
"Sorry, but we aren't serving food. We were closed until Master Barox let you in. Maybe we'll have something ready in the morning." The bartender gets to serving an ale and a glass of wine sharpish, however, and soon enough they are on the bar. "That'll be two coppers each please, and we only accept Seberium coin."

Meanwhile, the cultist the party spared is first to respond to Lysander's question.
"I was gonna say. But for the circumstances, I'd rather be in the Wizard and Rogue. Still, you can't blame 'em for not seeing Gavin coming, and maybe they just like the staff and the tipple." Then her husband comes back with two beers, one of which she takes.

Kirin, meanwhile, can be seen talking with Edea - presumably asking if she can get him a drink, given he's technically not old enough.

((It is assumed that GP are representative of actual currencies here, not just literal bits of gold, but I won't make you worry about exchange rates :D))

HereticNox
2009-11-17, 08:12 PM
Fishing in his purse, Aleous plucks out a silver piece. He places it on the table and slides it across to the half-orc. "I apologize for the late hour request, but a stiff drink was needed. Medicinal reasons of course."

He gentle picks up the glass, and takes a sniff. Swirling the contents he says, "Well my companions, what happens now?"

industrious
2009-11-17, 08:18 PM
"Now? We rest, and tomorrow, we take on the good Sir Michael." Taking his ale, the blue man attempts to take a sip, but after he tilts the mug back, his whole body shudders, and he is forced to put it down. He glares at the mug then, as if there was nothing he wanted to do more than destroy the blasted thing.

Firebeard
2009-11-17, 08:26 PM
Jared

"Indeed. If we plan on going back into the fray on the morrow, I need to rest and recover my spells. If that is even possible in this place."

HereticNox
2009-11-17, 08:40 PM
Aleous slowly sips his wine, letting the flavor settle on his tongue.
After a second fortifying sip, he places the glass on the table. "I to require rest, and some time to preform prayers. Ms.Edea is this place safe to rest in tonight."