PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Anyone else here fear sleep?

Pika...
2009-09-14, 02:39 AM
For me if it's not the night terrors, it's dreams so wonderful and happy it's like torture when you wake up.

It's currently 3:42am here, and as usual I instinctively have fought the urge to sleep. Thankfully this site helps with that :smallsmile:.

So anyone else here wish doctors would find a way to make sleep a thing of the past?

Plus, we'd have a whole eight hours extra each day added to our lives.

Jalor
2009-09-14, 02:55 AM
Heh, I seem to be pulling an all-nighter, even though I didn't intend to. I think I might be an insomniac; 2-3 hours of sleep refresh me, but 8 leave me just as tired as before.

thubby
2009-09-14, 02:59 AM
it is better to have dreamed and awoken then to have never dreamed at all :smalltongue:

Nameless
2009-09-14, 03:14 AM
I love sleep, I just always have a fear of waking up blind for some reason :smalleek:

Setra
2009-09-14, 03:15 AM
I usually don't fear sleep right until I'm laying in bed falling asleep, usually due to relating sleep to a deathlike state..

That's not why I'm up at 4AM though, I'm a night person.

Lord Herman
2009-09-14, 03:21 AM
I play 4E, and I don't fear sleep. Convert, and you will be freed from your fear! :smalltongue:

Pyrian
2009-09-14, 03:23 AM
Plus, we'd have a whole eight hours extra each day added to our lives.Would that be added to our lives, or substracted from our total lifespans? Maybe you'd just die at 60 instead of 90.

ghost_warlock
2009-09-14, 03:26 AM
If I didn't have an apparent biological need to sleep, I never would except when I'm ill.

I'm quite bitter about having to spend roughly 1/3 of my life effectively in a coma. :smallannoyed:

Nameless
2009-09-14, 03:29 AM
I think that if we suddenly don’t need to sleep. Things would get kind of boring. And longer hours of school/work would be demanded.

Coidzor
2009-09-14, 03:36 AM
Fear? Nah. I always feel I'm missing out on something when I do though.

my dreams are either nonexistant or very vivid. So, I think that might have something to do with it.

Guess it all just bears further inspection, but my dreams are sort of variable whether I enjoy them, loathe them, or just.... experience 'em.

SurlySeraph
2009-09-14, 03:42 AM
I want to sleep a lot more than I do, but the Internet is just so interesting. Blagh.

Coidzor
2009-09-14, 03:56 AM
I want to sleep a lot more than I do, but the Internet is just so interesting. Blagh.
That too. :smallfrown:

Eldan
2009-09-14, 04:35 AM
For those thinking that sleep actually detracts from their lifespan: sleeping long actually has a lot of health benefits. Mental ones, obviously, but also less obvious ones: people who sleep a lot are less often overweight is one, paradoxically. They also have stronger immune systems and a few other benefits.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-14, 04:40 AM
Personally, I'm quite a fan of sleep - or rather, the after-effects of waking up well-rested and ready to face the day. There is also, I must admit something quite magical to waking up and staring into the face of a beautiful woman.

Don't get me started on Dreams and how they don't exist.

V'icternus
2009-09-14, 04:43 AM
I love sleep!

...I just love the internet more...

Mordokai
2009-09-14, 04:46 AM
I'm quite bitter about having to spend roughly 1/3 of my life effectively in a coma. :smallannoyed:

To quote certain orange cat... best one third of my life.

I love sleeping, despite me pulling horrible late nighters as of late and working quite a lot of night jobs so far. Night is indeed my favourite time of day(shush, I know how stupid that sounds, but I have no idea how to put it better) and I love doing stuff at night, but I love sleeping as well. So yeah, spending 1/3 of my life in come doesn't bother me, as long as I wake up every once in a while. And when I won't wake up anymore it won't matter anyway.

billtodamax
2009-09-14, 04:50 AM
I don't really fear sleep, I just wish I could stay up past 9:30. *grumbles*

Don't get me started on Dreams and how they don't exist.

Dreams. Their Existance. Please go on.

Yrcrazypa
2009-09-14, 06:43 AM
I love sleep. My problem is that I sleep too much, it is common for me to go to bed at eight in the morning, and then wake up at eight at night. I work night shift, for those who are confused by this.

Athaniar
2009-09-14, 06:54 AM
If you want to avoid Nightmare, play an elf.

Yarram
2009-09-14, 08:10 AM

I'd pay that wholly. As a rule, I sleep less than I should, but that's not because I don't want to, but there is so much to do in the world!

Perenelle
2009-09-14, 10:42 AM
I like to sleep, Its just getting to sleep that's the problem for me. :smallannoyed:

and I rarely remember my dreams, when I do they're often really weird.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-14, 10:46 AM
Dreams. Their Existance. Please go on.

Dreams do not exist. If they existed, then the horribly and boringly average person I am would, y'know have them. Since I do not dream, they must not exist.
Disclaimer: I am aware that - scientifically speaking - everyone dreams. Let me use the colloquialisim.

Icewalker
2009-09-14, 11:02 AM
Yeh, sleep is important now. As technology and neuroscience develop, I expect we'll reach a point where we can begin reducing the necessary time for sleep, for example by being able to activate sleep willingly instead of by waiting, and being able to bypass a few early stages and enter directly into the sections of sleep that repair memory, etc. So, if necessary (although it probably wouldn't be as healthy as a normal rest) we could greatly shorten sleep periods.

Then we hit the upload, and I've got NO bloody idea what the hell that's going to do to sleep. :smalleek:

Jacklu
2009-09-14, 11:52 AM
Sleep... Heh. When I go to bed, I tend to lay awake for hours at a time. But once I do fall asleep, there is not much that will wake me up. I have literally slept through an earthquake before. :smalltongue: Again, the trouble if getting to sleep. I don't know how many times I have laid awake clear through till sunup, then fallen asleep for a couple hours before getting up for work or school. Of course, if you wanted to talk about things less directly tied to the actually sleeping process...
<.<
>.>

Jacklu can't sleep in a bed whose sheets are tucked it. Can't do it. I have to have the blanket wrapped over and under my feet (as if I was in a sleeping bag). Otherwise I lay awake all night panicking. Also, windows. Portals to hell. If I must sleep in a room with windows, they have to be covered so thoroughly that no light can get through them. And the bed I am in can not be withing three feet of it. Jacklu has issues. :smallsigh:

Edit: on the subject of dreams, I remember most of mine, and 90% of them involve zombie apocalypses. Sometimes I'm a survivor, sometimes I'm a zombie, and every once in a while I am a trained professional on a crack team of exterminators going into infected zones to clear out the infestation. I have no clue why this is, but Zombies. :smallbiggrin:

The Neoclassic
2009-09-14, 12:16 PM
I like sleep... but I don't like thinking about it. I'm sometimes afraid that I'll lose consciousness and just never wake up. And death scares me a lot.

Sleep paralysis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis)can be scary too. Something akin to that happens to me once every few months. But it's also kind of nifty, so I wouldn't say I'm afraid of it, really.

Icewalker
2009-09-14, 12:21 PM
I was wondering when somebody would bring up sleep paralysis. I just learned about it recently, and have a couple friends who get it very occasionally. Sounds both terrifying and completely fascinating at the same time...

Reinholdt
2009-09-14, 12:27 PM
I think sleep is a good way to slow down and relax. That said I wish that less of it was needed. 3-4 hours instead of 7-8 per day.

DOOMBOT9000
2009-09-14, 12:30 PM
I slept through the Northridge earthquake, not only that, but I was in Northridge at the time. Since then, I have avoided sleep, for fear of missing something of equal importance.

thorgrim29
2009-09-14, 01:17 PM
I don't like going to bed, but I hate getting up even more.... But I'm not afraid of sleeping. I almost never remember my dreams, and when I do 95% of the time they just fade in an hour or so. And I tend to sleep like a log, slep through a small party (6 people talking loudly) and a fire alarm last time I was at a hotel (to be fair I was a tad drunk both nights, and had my ipod for the party). The weird thing is that I'm always late for everything, but as long as I've gotten 6 or so hours of sleep I almost always wake up a few minutes before my alarm goes off (sometimes I wake up, switch the alarm off ang go back to sleep half counciously.... That's why I have two alarm clocks now).

Flame of Anor
2009-09-14, 02:19 PM
Ooh, there was that one Twilight Zone episode where the guy had to stay awake because if he fell asleep his dream would give him a heart attack...wow, that was cool...

Also, there was a Sir Arthur C. Clarke story about a guy who invented a drug to make people not need sleep.

Player_Zero
2009-09-14, 02:21 PM
I think I just dreamt no one came to my birthday party.

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-14, 02:23 PM
Sleep is AMAZING. But I wish I didn't feel like I needed so much of it. I'm almost tired 24/7.

mr_pathetic
2009-09-14, 07:26 PM
I actually enjoy a good sleep... when I was working last I never wanted a nap so bad. :smallbiggrin: I've had a few night terrors, but not enough to deter the goal.

Dieoxide
2009-09-14, 07:41 PM
Well, I don't fear sleep, but I have insomnia which is most nights. Luckily, my fix to get me to sleep are the sounds of FFX Hymns. :D

Alteran
2009-09-14, 08:02 PM
For those thinking that sleep actually detracts from their lifespan: sleeping long actually has a lot of health benefits. Mental ones, obviously, but also less obvious ones: people who sleep a lot are less often overweight is one, paradoxically. They also have stronger immune systems and a few other benefits.

While this is true, it's mainly because being overweight can lead to difficulties sleeping. Sleep doesn't help you lose weight (as far as I know).

Gamerlord
2009-09-14, 08:34 PM
Dreaming is AWESOME! Particularly when you realize that you are dreaming cause then you can do ANYTHING with your thoughts, like make throwing knives materialize out of nowhere.

Perenelle
2009-09-14, 08:41 PM
I think I just dreamt no one came to my birthday party.

that sounded very depressing....

skywalker
2009-09-14, 10:56 PM
I play 4E, and I don't fear sleep. Convert, and you will be freed from your fear! :smalltongue:

Yeah why does this have a [3.5] tag? :smallconfused:

Athaniar
2009-09-15, 11:10 AM
In one episode of Stargate, evil maggots would eat your brain if you fell asleep.

I'm not helping much, am I?

V'icternus
2009-09-15, 11:35 AM
Yeah why does this have a [3.5] tag? :smallconfused:

I wondered that too... but I then accepted that the OP is in a delusional fantasy world based around D&D 3.5, and moved on.

Player_Zero
2009-09-15, 12:34 PM
that sounded very depressing....

In real life I didn't have a party. And no one knew it was my birthday.

How's that?

Trog
2009-09-15, 12:45 PM
Appropriate song is appropriate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJI0w9Y40zM)

Keshay
2009-09-15, 01:15 PM
I was wondering when somebody would bring up sleep paralysis. I just learned about it recently, and have a couple friends who get it very occasionally. Sounds both terrifying and completely fascinating at the same time...

Sleep Paralysis, so long as not accompanied by a classic nightmare, isn't frightening, or interesting, just boring. There you are, awake, unable to move, and can't do anything about the situation. At most, I've been able to make some grunting noises, but they don;t help much. What was sort of fun was when it happened and my eyes were open. Could not close them though. My cat was confused by the grunting and open eyes but no movement... He seemed very concerned, started loving on my face which also didn't help since, again I could not close my eyes. Fortunately it didn't last too long. gettign the fur out of my eyes was interesting though.

Night terrors, on the other hand, are right out. There you are, pseudo-awake, paralized, and there is somone/something in the room with you. And no matter what sort of rational person you are the one part of your brain still asleep that lets you perceive this non-exisitant person/thing also thoroughly convinces you that they're up to no good. And they don't resolve on thier own. I once watched the clock go from 1:24 to 2:45 in this state before I fell asleep again. The only thing I've found taht can snap me out of it is either someone shaking me (horray for married life!) and before that reciting a prayer in my mind. Though it was a prayer that came to me in a dream once, and is in no language I know or have been able to reference irl. Whatever it is, it has devastating effects in dreamspace, and gladly it works when a nightmare gets ahold of me.

These only happen rarely (2-3 times a year) otherwise, I have a very enjoyable dream experience. Usually it consists of visiting with deceased loved ones, but its never sad, actually its often rewarding and reassuring.

Lappy9000
2009-09-15, 01:30 PM
I certainly don't fear sleep, however my dreams are apparently very strange in that I remember almost every one, and can have extraordinarily vivid imaginings in as little as a 5-minute nap. The rest are deja-vu or continuations of previous dreams.

chiasaur11
2009-09-15, 02:27 PM
In one episode of Stargate, evil maggots would eat your brain if you fell asleep.

I'm not helping much, am I?

Remember Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

Try having a dream about it. Returning to sleep is not an appealing prospect.

snoopy13a
2009-09-15, 02:36 PM
I don't normally fear sleep. However, there are certain exceptions. Those are either when I have the flu and get weird flu dreams or if I have gotten drunk three or more nights in a row (this is extremely rare now). Getting drunk prevents REM sleep and creates a sort of backlog. Once you go to bed sober and actually have a decent night sleep you get all sorts of strange, messed up dreams such as dreams within a dream (basically you wake up only to still be in a dream). It is very messes up.

chiasaur11
2009-09-15, 02:50 PM
I don't normally fear sleep. However, there are certain exceptions. Those are either when I have the flu and get weird flu dreams or if I have gotten drunk three or more nights in a row (this is extremely rare now). Getting drunk prevents REM sleep and creates a sort of backlog. Once you go to bed sober and actually have a decent night sleep you get all sorts of strange, messed up dreams such as dreams within a dream (basically you wake up only to still be in a dream). It is very messes up.

Ah, dreams within dreams.

Usually a pain, but on occasion I've found them a nice nightmare buffer.

IE:

Nightmare
Dream outside Nightmare. Shaking off the nightmare, but still odd.
normalcy.

Quite nice when it works out.

Grey Paladin
2009-09-15, 05:04 PM
. . .paralized . . .
Not always. Some people do not even hallucinate at all while others, like myself, aren't paralyzed.

I suffer from vivid night terrors for 10~ years now, every month or so. I don't recall anything from the events most of the time but am usually told by others that I ran around, yelled, and/or did some other odd actions. In one of the few attacks I recall I was running around the house trying to escape a brown-robed shadowman with a sword.

So yes, OP, but for the opposite reason.

Perenelle
2009-09-15, 05:43 PM
In real life I didn't have a party. And no one knew it was my birthday.

How's that?

Okay; thats less depressing.