PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a game...

Setra
2009-09-14, 02:47 AM
So lately I found Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines or whatnot and played it, I really enjoyed the social options of the game, intimidation, persuasion, and seduction... You could avoid battles entirely with the right word choice a lot of the time and I really liked that.

So basically I'm looking for something in which you can play similarly. It doesn't have to play the exact same, or even be the same genre... but I was basically looking for a game where your character could get by just by being charismatic.

Smight
2009-09-14, 02:54 AM
Fallout 1 & 2.

Setra
2009-09-14, 03:12 AM
Fallout 1 & 2.

You know I found Fallout 1 on Gametap and tried it out...

I made it five minutes before dying. I'm fairly sure I suck at it... may as well give it another try, I just have a bad habit of letting first impressions get to me..

What about Fallout 3? My friends say that one is pretty good.

AgentPaper
2009-09-14, 03:27 AM
Planescape: Torment. From what I've heard* you can play through the entire game and only fight a handful of battles, if you play your cards right. It's somewhat of an old game, though not as much as Fallout, I believe.

*I played the game some a while back, but I never finished it.

Bouregard
2009-09-14, 03:30 AM
It is pretty good if you like exploring. It's pretty bad in the quest and dialog department. And with pretty weak I mean really bad.

-Sometimes you have multiple answers that result in the same NPC reaction
-Quests allow mostly only one or a maximum of two endings where usually only one is acceptable.

Fallout 1/2 However are goldies in that way.

Archonic Energy
2009-09-14, 03:30 AM
while you can talk your way out of (and indeed IN TO) situations in FO3 it isn't as often as in VTM:B.
being a 1st/3rd person shooter/RPG means you'll have to do shooting, you won't even get a chance to speak to most of the people. However it is quite a good game and i would recommend it to most people.

I played the game some a while back, but I never finished it.
Shame on you! PS:T is required reading playing.

Smight
2009-09-14, 03:31 AM
What about Fallout 3? My friends say that one is pretty good.

As for "violence is f*ing funny Foblivion" i would disagree.

Setra
2009-09-14, 04:03 AM
It is pretty good if you like exploring. It's pretty bad in the quest and dialog department. And with pretty weak I mean really bad.

-Sometimes you have multiple answers that result in the same NPC reaction
-Quests allow mostly only one or a maximum of two endings where usually only one is acceptable.

Fallout 1/2 However are goldies in that way.
Well I suppose I can try Fallout (and PS:T) again...

Driderman
2009-09-14, 04:13 AM
Fallout 3 is a pretty decent game. The character/NPC interactions are laughable though, so if you're looking for something like Vampire:Bloodlines don't go there.
Fallout 1&2 is much better at that. Just turn the combat difficulty down for your first game and remember to save a lot.

Also, if you played Vampire vanilla you may want to look into getting the latest fan-patch and trying it again. Even more options!

Triaxx
2009-09-14, 05:23 AM
2 is better at it than one, since you can litterally talk your way all the way through the game, defeating even the final boss by talking some enemies into fighting him for you and using turrets to help chip away at him.

Terraoblivion
2009-09-14, 06:07 AM
You could convince the final boss of Fallout 1 to commit suicide, Triaxx. Realistically speaking, however, you cannot get through the two original Fallout games without fighting. Lots of quests do hinge on killing stuff, and many areas are just an exercise in frustration if you try to do them without fighting. Still probably better in that regard than V:TM Bloodlines that dropped all the talking after a certain point.

Planescape: Torment is probably the talkiest RPG out there, though.

Seonor
2009-09-14, 12:55 PM
The first Deus Ex could be won without killing anybody. For the most part this means sneaking around and hacking stuff, but some fights could be avoided by making the right choices while talking.

chiasaur11
2009-09-14, 12:56 PM
The first Deus Ex could be won without killing anybody. For the most part this means sneaking around and hacking stuff, but some fights could be avoided by making the right choices while talking.

And others avoided by conscientious use of gas grenades.

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-14, 01:03 PM
And others avoided by conscientious use of gas grenades.

And still others by judicious use of the stun baton..

"Those guys? They're not dead. Just unconscious."
"But.. JC.. You hit them with a stun baton under fully augmentation!"
"Unconscious means unconscious, alright?"

Triaxx
2009-09-14, 06:30 PM
True, but a diplomat with stealth on it should be able to get all the way through.

Speech, Barter, Sneak, and TAG Lockpicking later on. Book up science. Some side quests require combat, but many can be solved without it. Redding can get three out of four quests done without fighting. Then the Jet quest. The first Wright quest, the car can be acquired without fighting, the reactor repaired. The power station in NCR. Vault 13 can be found with some minor work and the application of some VERY high stealth values. The ship key can be gotten with some BS. You can even save the Deathclaw with some reverse pickpocketed explosives.