PDA

View Full Version : Tattooed Wizard Gish Spell Help

Sintanan
2009-09-14, 03:53 AM
I have a gish (if I'm correct in assuming it means tank-wizard) with 11th-level Wizard spellcasting, and the DM is allowing me to use the tattooed spellbook alternate feature in addition to a normal spellbook. I was wondering which spells would be recommended to have tattooed to the body (48 pages easily accessible for viewing). With the adventure switching between roleplaying focus and combat focus, I figure I should have some "get out of jail" spells tattooed to my char's body alongside the combat staples in case I lose my supplemental spellbook.

I have access to pretty much any sourcebook or web enhancement as long as I can get a physical copy of it, but the DM has warned me that generally broken spells or attempts at using spells to abuse the rules will result in (to borrow the term from the Test of Spite thread) hounds eating me.

Ernir
2009-09-14, 10:17 AM
Get-out-of jail spell... Teleport? Sending? Greater Dispel Magic? Invisibility? One make-someone-your-friend spell and one blastyspell?

But. Is this a character that you have been using, or are you making it with the 11th-level casting built in? If the former, what spells have you been using a lot so far?

And in any case, did you specialize? What schools did you ban?

Sintanan
2009-09-14, 10:45 AM
This is a new character... we suffered a TPK. :smallfrown:

I haven't decided on whether or not to specialize yet.
I'm in no real rush to get this character done... we aren't playing again until Saturday.

And, thanks to all at the forums for putting up with me... I ask for help more often than I contribute effectively here.

lsfreak
2009-09-14, 11:16 AM
Teleport
Enervation
Orb of Force/Orb of Fire
Greater Mirror Image
Invisibility
Charm Person/Dominate Person/Suggestion
Major Image
Greater Dispel Magic
Solid Fog

Off the top of my head, those are among the best general-purpose spells there are in case you find yourself without a spellbook. Maybe add Shadow Evocation/Shadow Conjuration. If you want another damage spell, Scorching Ray or Magic Missile.

Godskook
2009-09-14, 11:33 AM
Heh, this reminds me of my pseudo-(faux-wizard)* build I've been meaning to try one day. Bascially, my only advice, aside from writing a teleport somewhere, is if you have the space in your build for 2 levels of geometer, go for it. Having 48 pages = 48 spells means convenience.

*Yes, I mean the double negative. He's a wizard who's pretending to be a sorcerer pretending to be a wizard. The spellbook is a lie, and when captured, confuses the hell out of people, despite not being a sorcerer.

taltamir
2009-09-14, 01:35 PM
did you actually use a feat on that?

As a level 1 wiz you can prepare read magic without a book... you can take a rather core-ish feat that lets you add your int bonus amount of spells of your choice to the list of spells prepareable without a book. So with +6 int, choose any 6 spells you know of any level, you now can prepare them without a book.

Slightly less spells (depending on your level when you take the feat, and your int stat). But I figure it is more useful as it is not glaringly obvious...

Although, you can probably use erase to swap out the spells on your flesh... downside, if you are CAPTURE and your book taken your ENEMIES will use erase to remove all your spells.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-09-14, 01:38 PM
So, first problem I'm seeing is that, RAW, 48 spell pages on your body means 48 0th and 1st level spells, less spells the higher the level they are. A quick houserule would help. That or be larger than medium.

At any rate, having a real spell book is still a good idea. Actually, make that three or four. Keep only GTFO spells on your person, has has already been mentioned. Other spells that would be really nice to have access to when bound and/or gagged, like Resilient Sphere, Teleport, etc. Those are what's on you.

A Summon Monster I or II might be useful, too, if you can find the space for it. They make decent distractions.

taltamir
2009-09-14, 01:48 PM
actually... other then teleport, what OTHER spells does a person needs as a contingency? I think very little.

I'd start with the spell list and work my way from there. The higher your level, the better the feat i mentioned becomes compared to the tattoo spell. Honestly I think your DM should let you do that without a feat... maybe at an increased spell scribe cost and with the limit to spells written.

there are a variety of items and spells that prevent accidental loss / theft of book.
And if you are CAPTURED then you are bound, gagged, and erase is cast on your tattoos.

Have a prepped silenced stilled teleport and you are golden.

only1doug
2009-09-14, 03:05 PM
did you actually use a feat on that?

As a level 1 wiz you can prepare read magic without a book... you can take a rather core-ish feat that lets you add your int bonus amount of spells of your choice to the list of spells prepareable without a book. So with +6 int, choose any 6 spells you know of any level, you now can prepare them without a book.

Slightly less spells (depending on your level when you take the feat, and your int stat). But I figure it is more useful as it is not glaringly obvious...

Although, you can probably use erase to swap out the spells on your flesh... downside, if you are CAPTURE and your book taken your ENEMIES will use erase to remove all your spells.

+1

Spell Mastery (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#spellMasterySpecial) feat, PHB. Far better than Tattooing for Int based casters.