humans and robots kicking shades of hell out each other
cyberpunk/shadowrun-esque stuff

i like things on the dark and gritty end
i like akira
i like cyber city oedo 808
i would like something that dark and gritty

would i enjoy ghost in a shell?

things i do not want:
neon genisis - too poorly paced for my liking. Became draining to watch after a while
cowboy bebop - seen it
gundam - seen some of them

have at it, playgrounders

Terraoblivion
2009-09-14, 05:46 AM
Sounds like Ghost in the Shell is your thing, that much is certain. In fact it seems so obvious that i think you should just look into both the original movie and the show right now.

Serpentine
2009-09-14, 06:01 AM
Just because it's you, Pancake: That should be "Recommend some anime to/for Pancake" :smallwink:

Ionno, I haven't watched much. My Boy likes Beserk a lot? But that has few robots in it...

JeminiZero
2009-09-14, 06:12 AM
I've heard good things about Darker than Black (supposedly sci-fi punk-ish), but haven't seen it myself.

Eh... since you've seen Gundam, might want to take a look at the Macross. Or the other various big robo series (Getter Robo, Mazinger, Gai Gao Gear), but most of these tend to be hot-blooded rather than dark.

Terraoblivion
2009-09-14, 06:17 AM
If you want giant robots and dark together there is nothing more so than Ideon. It is ancient though and most of the technical designs tend to be either rather bland, incredibly silly or both. Also it is really long and made by a man in a deep fit of depression who wanted to annoy the executives, so it isn't just dark but plainly depressing. Either that or really dull if you don't care about the characters.

The Evil Thing
2009-09-14, 08:51 AM
Darker than BLACK is a little ridiculous at times, but I found it quite watchable.

I'll also echo Ghost in the Shell. I haven't watched the original movies but the Stand Alone Complex series are terrific.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure I can help much. I watch anime to relax and switch my brain off, not emotionally ravage myself with a dark and edgy world making the characters' lives miserable, so gritty etc. isn't really my thing.

Gullara
2009-09-17, 03:02 PM
Megas XLR is a great show, its not really anime but it has giant robots. In fact thats practically the theme song

You dig giant robots!

I dig giant robots!

We dig giant robots!

Chicks dig giant robots!

Google it sometime

Cubey
2009-09-17, 03:20 PM
Eh... since you've seen Gundam, might want to take a look at the Macross. Or the other various big robo series (Getter Robo, Mazinger, Gai Gao Gear), but most of these tend to be hot-blooded rather than dark.

You meant Gao Gai Gar.

And yes, most of these series aren't really dark... except for Shin Getter Robo. You may want to see this one. I'll make another post once I remember any other anime that fits your description.

tribble
2009-09-17, 06:00 PM
http://www.insidesocal.com/modernmyth/TengenToppaGurrenLagann.jpg

I cant believe no one said this yet.

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-17, 10:28 PM
im looking for stuff for a more mature viewing audience rather than kinds stuff or pg-13 material

Stormthorn
2009-09-17, 11:04 PM
I cant believe no one said this yet.

What part of Dark and Gritty did you miss?
Although it does have robots.

On the other side of things, of darkness withour robots in a cyberpunk setting, we have Serial Experiments Lain.

I dont really know anything thats both dark and gritty and has robots. Or even much combat. Lain has like 0 fights (although a number of people die by being shot or vaporized).

Vandread has robots kicking the crap out of each other. And it has a very video-gamey progression of power. Todays boss monster will be slaughtered in hordes by the end of the series. That said, the tone is not very serious 80% of the time. Its often either whimsical or ecchi. When it is (very rarely) serious or dark tho the show pulls no punches since the ultimate villain is Earth out to harvest the organs of everyone else in the whole galaxy.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-18, 12:56 AM
im looking for stuff for a more mature viewing audience rather than kinds stuff or pg-13 material
*Rage face palm* Gurren Lagaan is still very very good and worth checking out.

GoufCustom
2009-09-18, 01:21 AM
Speaking as someone who tends to not care for super robots...

Watch Gurren Lagann. It is many shades of awesome.

Roxlimn
2009-09-20, 08:09 AM
Dual Parallel Trouble Adventures
Scrapped Princess
Detonator Orgun
Vision of Escaflowne

Jalor
2009-09-20, 08:38 AM
There are no robots in it, but Paranoia Agent. It's very dark and mature with lots of mind-screw.

Yora
2009-09-20, 10:47 AM
i like:

sci-fi
robots
robots kicking ten shades of hell out each other
humans and robots kicking shades of hell out each other
cyberpunk/shadowrun-esque stuff

i like akira
i like cyber city oedo 808
i would like something that dark and gritty

would i enjoy ghost in a shell?

You, Sir, are ASKING for Ghost in the Shell!

sci-fi: check
robots: check
robots kicking ten shades of hell out each other: check!
humans and robots kicking shades of hell out each other: double check!
cyberpunk/shadowrun-esque stuff: check

i would like something that dark and gritty: check

There's so much you could say about both the two movies and the two season series, but I highly convinved that this is exactly what you are looking for.

If still not convinced, just take a look at the completely spoiler-free of the opening of the second season of SAC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2_9epHxhhA).

IF you have to watch it dubbed, the english dub is of very good quality. But I think the japanese one is even much better and I could follow the english subtitles without being a native speaker. And the soundtrack is AWSOME!
Just stay away from the OVA "Solid State Society", which lacks most of the shows qualites and completely ****s up the entire point of the two movies.