PDA

View Full Version : Snapkick and Decisive strike

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-14, 11:30 AM
Quick question. If a monk character has Snap kick and the monk alternative class feature Decisive strike would when making a decisive strike he get another attack from the snap kick, at a -4 i assume?

Person_Man
2009-09-14, 11:38 AM
Yes. Decisive Strike does not preclude extra attacks from Snap Kick, Cleave, attacks of opportunity, etc.

However, Decisive Strike does not scale above ECL 11, so you're missing out on attacks from iterative attacks above that level. It's also much easier to multiply damage via other means.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-14, 11:51 AM
Yes. Decisive Strike does not preclude extra attacks from Snap Kick, Cleave, attacks of opportunity, etc.

However, above Decisive Strike does not scale above ECL 11, so you're missing out on attacks from iterative attacks above that level.

Agreed However the two strikes seem good plus any AoO's seems good to me especialy if you focus on AoO's

Person_Man
2009-09-14, 12:09 PM
Agreed However the two strikes seem good plus any AoO's seems good to me especialy if you focus on AoO's

Yes, Decisive Strike is a good option for a low level Monk with Snap Kick and a good AoO combo. But beyond that, you won't come anywhere near the damage of a standard Power Attack combo damage, or even a Rogue with TWF.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-14, 12:19 PM
Yes, Decisive Strike is a good option for a low level Monk with Snap Kick and a good AoO combo. But beyond that, you won't come anywhere near the damage of a standard Power Attack combo damage, or even a Rogue with TWF.

even if you pick up one of the feat that lets you use a two hander as a monk weapon... like the pole arm one?

Edit: I meen with the wording of Decisive strike theres no limit to the number of times you can do it in a day. So i figured a 1 level monk dip for decisive strike then some other class such as fighter or some thing else... would be good... Especialy if you can pick up a polearm 2hnded + power attack + decisive + what ever else.

Person_Man
2009-09-14, 01:55 PM
even if you pick up one of the feat that lets you use a two hander as a monk weapon... like the pole arm one?

Edit: I meen with the wording of Decisive strike theres no limit to the number of times you can do it in a day. So i figured a 1 level monk dip for decisive strike then some other class such as fighter or some thing else... would be good... Especialy if you can pick up a polearm 2hnded + power attack + decisive + what ever else.

It depends on your level, build goals, and books allowed.

First, a lot of the best damage combos depend on your ability to Charge and/or Pounce. Leap Attack, Shock Trooper, Battle Jump, Headlong Rush, Spirited Charge, Rhino's Rush, Valorous weapon, etc. So above ECL 6ish, you're probably getting a lot less damage via Decisive Strike, even if you are using two handed Power Attack with 19/20 BAB and getting 2-3 double damage attacks of opportunity in.

Second, taking a level of Monk means not taking a level of something else. So you're getting Decisive Strike, but you're not getting Loyal Beyond Death, or Rage, or whatever. Also, taking a level of Monk neuters any build that relies on caster progression or something similar (Psionics, Incarnum, Binder, Tome of Battle, etc).

Finally, a lot of the coolest stuff in D&D is in the splat books. If you want to play a melee build and have access to Incarnum or Tome of Battle or a Psionic class, then there's not a lot of crunchy reasons to play a Monk, even with all the variants.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-14, 01:59 PM
It depends on your level, build goals, and books allowed.

First, a lot of the best damage combos depend on your ability to Charge and/or Pounce. Leap Attack, Shock Trooper, Battle Jump, Headlong Rush, Spirited Charge, Rhino's Rush, Valorous weapon, etc. So above ECL 6ish, you're probably getting a lot less damage via Decisive Strike, even if you are using two handed Power Attack with 19/20 BAB and getting 2-3 double damage attacks of opportunity in.

Second, taking a level of Monk means not taking a level of something else. So you're getting Decisive Strike, but you're not getting Loyal Beyond Death, or Rage, or whatever. Also, taking a level of Monk neuters any build that relies on caster progression or something similar (Psionics, Incarnum, Binder, Tome of Battle, etc).

Finally, a lot of the coolest stuff in D&D is in the splat books. If you want to play a melee build and have access to Incarnum or Tome of Battle or a Psionic class, then there's not a lot of crunchy reasons to play a Monk, even with all the variants.
fair enough