PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Idea Time: D20 GURPS

Ghill
2009-09-14, 12:57 PM
I want to run a game where anything is in context, think a Doctor Who but moreso. GURPS character creation rules are incredibly flexible and would allow my players to run as whatever they wanted. D20 is well known, and I know how to use it.

Can I have my players make GURPS characters, and use them in a D20 game? Is this a reasonable Idea?

sigurd
2009-09-14, 01:03 PM
The two systems are usually sought for their setting or mechanics. If you like the gurps mechanics, is there a setting in D20 that you like? A set of modules?

Making characters in one rule system to use in another seems like a lot of work unless there is a worthwhile draw in the second system.

Why not just play gurps?

S

Ghill
2009-09-14, 01:12 PM
Well, I really like the GURPS character creation, it is inclusive and flexible. A lot of the GURPS special rules (flight, telepathy, fire breath) have equivalent D20 rules, I think a character would be fairly easy to convert.
I don't want to use the D20 class/experience rules (the core of the system), but I know the D20 combat and skill rules are much simpler and more stream lined then the GURPS rules. I already own the DnD core books and the GURPS core pair, so using the System from one and the Character rules from the other seemed easy.
Is there a D20 game with GURPS style character creation? Ultimately, that's what I'm aiming for.

Malfunctioned
2009-09-14, 01:31 PM
It sounds like you'd like Mutants and Masterminds, really flexible character creation using a point-buy system, which IIRC is similar to that used by GURPS but using a D20 system slightly modified from D20 Modern and Dungeons and Dragons.

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-09-14, 03:48 PM
There's a book called "Buy the Numbers" which you can get cheap as a PDF - it's got rules and examples (not very coherently presented, but the best I've found) for building D&D3.5 and d20 characters from scratch - including any powers and skills and stuff that you want.

That might fit your needs - and it's a handy book to have, too, even if it doesn't solve your problem.