PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical grafts

Paganboy28
2009-09-14, 01:07 PM
Are there any books in DnD that deal with mechanical grafts?

There are various other types of grafts.... but not mechanical.

Iku Rex
2009-09-14, 01:11 PM
Faiths of Eberron has construct grafts.

Other grafts:
Fiend Folio has aboleth, beholder, fiendish, ilithid, maug (constructs), undead and yuan-ti grafts.
Libris Mortis has undead grafts.
Lords of Madness has aboleth, ilithid and silthilar grafts.
Races of the Dragon has draconic grafts.
Magic of Eberron has deathless, elemental and plant grafts.

Grumman
2009-09-14, 01:11 PM
Faiths of Eberron has construct grafts and the Fiend Folio has Maug grafts.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-14, 01:12 PM
Half-Golem templates are the result of an attempted graft of a golem limb, but things didn't go according to plan...

Paganboy28
2009-09-14, 01:21 PM
I'm aware there are sort of mechanical grafts out there, ie half-golem, etc

But things like "robotic" arms and such (clockwork most likely).

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-14, 01:24 PM
I'm aware there are sort of mechanical grafts out there, ie half-golem, etc

But things like "robotic" arms and such (clockwork most likely).

Define 'robotic'. Constructs are as close to robots are you are likely to get in D&D. Sufficiently advanced Magic is indistinguishable from Technology.

arguskos
2009-09-14, 01:27 PM
Define 'robotic'. Constructs are as close to robots are you are likely to get in D&D. Sufficiently advanced Magic is indistinguishable from Technology.
I'm guessing... something like this (http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/tcg/products/shardsofalara/flavor4_d3sithgt.jpg) or Cable's arm (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/yourboyeddie/Marvel1995Fleer_Cable.jpg).

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-14, 01:30 PM
A bit of reflavoring and you have an entire system based around this concept: Incarnum.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-14, 01:30 PM
I'm guessing... something like this (http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/tcg/products/shardsofalara/flavor4_d3sithgt.jpg) or Cable's arm (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/yourboyeddie/Marvel1995Fleer_Cable.jpg).

Former is Wizard(necromancer)/Pale Master, latter looks to have a half-golem template, as well as Warlock levels.

Your point?

arguskos
2009-09-14, 01:35 PM
Wasn't one, I just always take any chance to link to Tezzy there. :smallwink: It was also kinda on-topicish.

Also, you really classed the artificer as a Wizard (Necromancer)? I'm... a bit surprised, actually. Nothing about that piece of art says "lolundead" to me.... :smallconfused:

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-14, 01:47 PM
Wasn't one, I just always take any chance to link to Tezzy there. :smallwink: It was also kinda on-topicish.

Also, you really classed the artificer as a Wizard (Necromancer)? I'm... a bit surprised, actually. Nothing about that piece of art says "lolundead" to me.... :smallconfused:

How about the skeletal hand of power? I was referring, specifically, to the Pale Master's class ability that turns one of their arms skeletal which allows them to make touch attacks.

arguskos
2009-09-14, 01:51 PM
Well, considering it doesn't look like bone, is warping in ways that bone doesn't, and the rest of the image bears no resemblance to anything even similar to necromancy, I'm still a bit confused.

Anyways, I do think he'd be an interesting construct-reworked Pale Master... hmm....

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-14, 01:53 PM
Well, considering it doesn't look like bone, is warping in ways that bone doesn't, and the rest of the image bears no resemblance to anything even similar to necromancy, I'm still a bit confused.

Anyways, I do think he'd be an interesting construct-reworked Pale Master... hmm....

we are talking about this (http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/tcg/products/shardsofalara/flavor4_d3sithgt.jpg) image, right? Pale Masters also get Bone Armor, which looks somewhat similar to what he is wearing.

arguskos
2009-09-14, 01:55 PM
Yeah, Tezzeret. He isn't wearing bone armor... nor does that hand look greatly like a skeleton to me.

Meh, it's an interesting way of thinking about it though. He IS actually an artificer, but I can see where the necromancer thought is coming from. Hmm, are there any good artificer/wizard theurge classes?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-14, 01:58 PM
Yeah, Tezzeret. He isn't wearing bone armor... nor does that hand look greatly like a skeleton to me.

Meh, it's an interesting way of thinking about it though. He IS actually an artificer, but I can see where the necromancer thought is coming from. Hmm, are there any good artificer/wizard theurge classes?

Not that I'm familiar with. Of course, an Artificer doesn't really need to worry about actually casting Wizard spells, seeing as how he can use arcane toys to great effect.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-14, 01:58 PM

Meh, it's an interesting way of thinking about it though. He IS actually an artificer, but I can see where the necromancer thought is coming from. Hmm, are there any good artificer/wizard theurge classes?Artificer has slightly less reason to PrC than a Druid, IMHO. Their best feature(Craft Reserve) is advanced by all of 0 PrCs.

arguskos
2009-09-14, 01:59 PM
That's true enough. I just don't really like the mechanics of the class, though it's pretty strong (and by that I mean, hey, look, it's a Tier 1 class! Yay!). Hmm... Tezzeret is a mid-level artificer straight then.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-14, 02:00 PM
Artificer has slightly less reason to PrC than a Druid, IMHO. Their best feature(Craft Reserve) is advanced by all of 0 PrCs.

The reason for the 'slightly less' qualifier being Planar Shepherd, I take it?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-14, 02:02 PM
The reason for the 'slightly less' qualifier being Planar Shepherd, I take it?That, and the other Druid builds that PrC. MoMF, Nature's Warrior, Arcane Heirophant, etc, there are some PrCs that are worth it for certain concepts.