PDA

View Full Version : How about this as a mobile base for my artificer!

Paganboy28
2009-09-14, 01:19 PM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1590/957747-rook_large.jpg

How about creating one of these as a mobile base for an artificer. I am guessing it would be similar to a Colossus in the Epic players handbook, though with obvious modifications to allow for:

1) an inbuilt wizard tower (for when my arcane friends want to stay over),

2) Archery tower for my own personal army to defend me from anyone who dares get in the way of me and the pub (oh I'm a dwarf btw),

3)trebuchet or other such artillery (maybe a BIG cannon) for when things just need to get blown up

4) rune-encrusted uber-hammer to smite those nasty teetotal elves,

5) maybe i'll build a small garrison into the legs to allow my horde to flow forth,

Hmm... off to the pub to draw up blue-prints.

taltamir
2009-09-14, 01:42 PM
what level are you?

By level 21 I'd use epic seeds with creative rule wrangling to CREATE my OWN dimension (technically, a demiplane, within the astral plane), steal plants and animals from others, CREATE my own loyal celestial / infernal guards (of awesome power and no gender), lower power ones who can reproduce, and a humanoid race of my own custom creation to worship me (I DID create them).

As a bonus, you are in the middle of the astral plane, you are immortal as long as you don't return to the prime, and with your own domain, you can carefully and slowly research your way to godhood (maybe chanelling your beleivers faith).

It REALLY helps if you are a cleric.

As for your specific question... everything is a cakewalk except creating the golem... look up the golemcraft rules and see what level you have to be to create a golem of the size you wish.

arguskos
2009-09-14, 01:47 PM
1. Epic is never fair to bring into things. :smallannoyed:

2. Let's assume level 20. Here's what you do: make a custom sculpted Stone Colossus (not really beyond the grasp of a sufficiently clever level 20 artificer) in the shape of the Rook (I see what you did, using Rook, who rocks, btw). Once it's animated, you have it chill for awhile, as you hollow out the towers on the back, and install whatever you want.

3. Make a custom weapon for it (the aforementioned colossal-sized hammer). Give it the hammer, stock it with guys, go to town in your new doom fortress.

taltamir
2009-09-14, 02:00 PM
i just meant it to show that EVERYTHING is doable... what he is asking for isn't "excessive" at all... depending on his level.

sofawall
2009-09-14, 03:07 PM
Stronghold Builder's Guide is waiting at the door, would you like me to see him in?

Paganboy28
2009-09-14, 03:22 PM
1. Epic is never fair to bring into things. :smallannoyed:

2. Let's assume level 20. Here's what you do: make a custom sculpted Stone Colossus (not really beyond the grasp of a sufficiently clever level 20 artificer) in the shape of the Rook (I see what you did, using Rook, who rocks, btw). Once it's animated, you have it chill for awhile, as you hollow out the towers on the back, and install whatever you want.

3. Make a custom weapon for it (the aforementioned colossal-sized hammer). Give it the hammer, stock it with guys, go to town in your new doom fortress.

Ah yeh you got me. It's the Rook from Demigods. But I first saw it and was inspired to have that as my mobile base for my dwarf artificer. It would be so awesome to see it striding across the battlefield or into town.

Wonder if they charge for parking at the pub?

NB to self.... must install reverse gear.

Johel
2009-09-14, 04:48 PM
Construction
A stone colossus’s body is chiseled from a single block of hard stone, such as granite, weighing at least 375,000 pounds. The colossus costs 760,000 gp to create, which includes 100,000 gp for the body. Assembling the body requires a successful Craft (sculpting) or Craft (masonry) check (DC 37). The creator must be 25th level and able to cast epic spells. Completing the ritual drains 30,600 XP from the creator and requires geas/quest, limited wish, polymorph any object, and shatter.

Main problem here is the "25th level and able to cast epic spells" requirement.
Otherwise, it's doable by level 20, no sweet.

If you want something less epic but still functionnal :

Animate Objects
Now, you cannot animate a Colossal-sized object before hitting level 32.
So, we'll do it with SEVERAL Gargantuan animated objects, which will carry or hold several Immovable Rods and will each work as a body part of our "Colossus".

We'll assume that your GM agree to let you create the following "custom" items :

Command word, Animate Object, CL 16
Need UMD to use : -10%
Need to be an Artificer to use : -30%
16 * 6 * 1.800 = 172.800 gp
172.800 gp *0.6 = 103.680 gp
52.000 gp, 4.150 XP

The Colossus costs 760.000 gp, of which 100.000 gp is for the body alone.
We need the same amount of stone : 100.000 gp
And we can have about 12 of our "animators".
49.800 XP... Now, since you are an Artificer, XP isn't a problem for you : you can always dry some magical items if you really need to.
In the hands of capable followers (you mentionned hordes...), said animators allow us to have up to 192 Animated Objects working at the same time.
Let's say 180 for security purpose.

The Colossus weights at least 375.000 pounds. That's about 187,5 tons.
Our "animated body parts" will probably each weight about 1/180 of that.
Let's say 1 ton each.
An Immovable Rod can support 4 tons before falling.
Each animated object can set an Immovable Rod on one of their brothers, activate it (that's one button to push...) and use it to lift up to 4 times its own weight, cancelling said weight. It should allow the whole thing to articulate its "body" while also supporting extra weight.
That's about 900.000 gp for the 180 Immovable Rods.
I let you design the blue prints :smallsmile:

So our "non epic colossus" costs :
12 Animators : 624.000 gp
180 "weak golems" : 100.000 gp
180 Immovable Rods : 900.000 gp
1.624.000 gp
The whole thing is just a walking pile of stone, mind you.
No magical ability, no antimagic field, no dispel immunity.

It might be a good idea to build it on wheels rather than as a bipedal golem, since it would reduce the number of rods necessary for movement while allowing you to increase the size to monstruous proportion. :smallamused:

taltamir
2009-09-14, 04:53 PM
Ah yeh you got me. It's the Rook from Demigods. But I first saw it and was inspired to have that as my mobile base for my dwarf artificer. It would be so awesome to see it striding across the battlefield or into town.

Wonder if they charge for parking at the pub?

NB to self.... must install reverse gear.

Demigod was very nice mechanically, but I wish stardock games actually had any semblance of a single player plot.
"Elder god gave power to lesser beings, other gods kill him, to maintain balance one of his demigod progeny is to be made his replacement after winning tournament"..
then you just play 10 random skirmishes, if you win, "you are not a god"... thats it, that is the ENTIRE plot.

I bought all their other games, but after that I decided to hold off on preordering elemental, especially because they declared it will ALSO have NO PLOT.