PDA

View Full Version : PC Let's Play technique

Jibar
2009-09-14, 02:46 PM
So... say I was interested in doing a new Let's Play while at Uni while simultaneously apologising for having stopped my Fallout 2 one ages ago as some people apparently enjoyed it.
Say I was also interested in doing it as a video Let's Play and put my suave British tongue to good use.
Now, how would I go about recording PC games? I know how to set it up for consoles but I've been led to believe it is an entirely different matter for games on the computer.
I won't say what I was thinking of Let's Playing as I haven't the foggiest right now, I'm just dealing in hypotheticals.

Rutskarn
2009-09-14, 03:07 PM
You can get plenty of decent open-source game capturing software online, but if you want the best, I guess you should shell out for FRAPs. Then you record a voiceover, which you overlay using some sort of movie editor.

Tavar
2009-09-14, 05:13 PM
Can you provide examples of decent open-source ones?

Starbuck_II
2009-09-14, 06:16 PM
So... say I was interested in doing a new Let's Play while at Uni while simultaneously apologising for having stopped my Fallout 2 one ages ago as some people apparently enjoyed it.
Say I was also interested in doing it as a video Let's Play and put my suave British tongue to good use.
Now, how would I go about recording PC games? I know how to set it up for consoles but I've been led to believe it is an entirely different matter for games on the computer.
I won't say what I was thinking of Let's Playing as I haven't the foggiest right now, I'm just dealing in hypotheticals.

Does this mean Fallout 2 might return with a video?

Gamerlord
2009-09-14, 06:17 PM
Awww my idea for a fallout 2 lets play was taken? :smallfrown:

Lord Seth
2009-09-14, 07:39 PM
You can get plenty of decent open-source game capturing software online, but if you want the best, I guess you should shell out for FRAPs. Then you record a voiceover, which you overlay using some sort of movie editor.Can't you record the voiceover while playing? My screen recorder program lets me record both the audio from the computer and audio from a microphone simultaneously.

Of course, it depends if you're the type who likes to do the commentary during or after playing. I prefer during because it has a more authentic feel.

Rutskarn
2009-09-14, 07:46 PM
Can't you record the voiceover while playing? My screen recorder program lets me record both the audio from the computer and audio from a microphone simultaneously.

Of course, it depends if you're the type who likes to do the commentary during or after playing. I prefer during because it has a more authentic feel.

Preferably, you do both--you record your comments so any spontaneous reactions are captured, then weed out the bad jokes and stick in new ones. Kind of like what Spoony did in his classic Phantasmagoria LP, if I'm any judge.

tyckspoon
2009-09-14, 08:26 PM
Awww my idea for a fallout 2 lets play was taken? :smallfrown:

Do it anyway. Fallout 2 has enough variety for quite a few different unique Let's Plays, especially if you get good at doing commentary in the tone of your character.

Gamerlord
2009-09-14, 08:42 PM
Do it anyway. Fallout 2 has enough variety for quite a few different unique Let's Plays, especially if you get good at doing commentary in the tone of your character.
Okay! :smallsmile: I just hope I don't get killed!

Zovc
2009-09-15, 11:44 AM
If it is possible to keep your commentary separate from the video that would likely be best. Thataway you don't have to strip it when you want to start editing your reactions out.

I wish I had the resources to record myself with my first encounters with some games.

What program are you using, Lord Seth?

Dread Cthulhu
2009-09-15, 01:20 PM
Fraps does have an option for recording from a microphone. If it's good enough, you can pick up the sound from the speakers as well that way.

Player_Zero
2009-09-15, 01:28 PM
Only do video let's plays. And actually finish the damn thing. Don't start it if you're not going to finish.

Also, if you're boring people will stop watching. So actually say things.

Also also, you sound boringly normal. Don't get ahead of yourself.

LiteYear
2009-09-15, 03:01 PM
FRAPS is probably the best and easiest software out there, but make sure you try the free trial first. FRAPS is not a screen recorder; it is an application recorder. If it does not recognize your application, then it will not record it. That shouldn't be a problem for Fallout 2 (or indeed most programs), but it still can be an issue.

Gamerlord
2009-09-15, 05:18 PM
Darn it, the program I am trying doesn't seem to work with Fallout 2, gonna have to do a different game.