PDA

View Full Version : Running a module advice & other 4E questions.

The J Pizzel
2009-09-14, 03:01 PM
Hey gang. I haven't DMed a DnD since 4E came out (we played a few quick skirmishes right after to learn the new rules, but that wa it) and the gang recently decided to start playing again.

I've decided to run the Scepter Tower of Spellgard module. It looks really cool and has lots of action, which my players are pretty intent on. I've never actually ran a module. I've been DMing for almost 10 years and never bothered to use one. Considering I live a much busier life now, a nice pre-determined campaign seems like just what I need. So do you vets have any helpful pearls of wisdom for running a module. One of my players said he hated it when another DM just read the "scenary paragraphs" from the book, so I'll try to avoid that. But are there any common thoughts I should be aware of. Players are starting exactly like the module says to, as far as level and gear are concerned. I think I might have one more player than the module calls for, but I assume I can adjust that accordingly.

Next, I do have one question concerming 4E AoE attacks. In SW SAGA (the precursor to 4E) when you make an AoE attack, you roll one attack roll and compare it to all targets in the AoE's Reflex Defense. In 4E, you roll one attack roll for each person in AoE and compare each one to each target. I really like the speediness of the SAGA method and I was wondering if there's any reason why I couldn't to it that way?

Thanks for the help.

Istari
2009-09-14, 03:04 PM
Make sure you read over the entire module and plan for places where your players might go off track. Reading the module descriptions is fine as long as you flesh it out and put your own creative spin on it.

Mando Knight
2009-09-14, 03:10 PM
Next, I do have one question concerming 4E AoE attacks. In SW SAGA (the precursor to 4E) when you make an AoE attack, you roll one attack roll and compare it to all targets in the AoE's Reflex Defense. In 4E, you roll one attack roll for each person in AoE and compare each one to each target. I really like the speediness of the SAGA method and I was wondering if there's any reason why I couldn't to it that way?

You can do it that way, but it strengthens any re-roll abilities, like Elven Accuracy (which is already one of the strongest racial powers in the game, and even gets stronger if FRPG is allowed).

Kurald Galain
2009-09-14, 03:12 PM
In SW SAGA (the precursor to 4E) when you make an AoE attack, you roll one attack roll and compare it to all targets in the AoE's Reflex Defense. In 4E, you roll one attack roll for each person in AoE and compare each one to each target. I really like the speediness of the SAGA method and I was wondering if there's any reason why I couldn't to it that way?
4E tries to speed it up by rolling for damage only once.

The reason why you shouldn't make one attack roll against a group, is that (1) if the targets are a bunch of goblins, you'll always either hit all of them, or hit none of them; and (2) if the targets are the PCs, you'll never hit the high-reflex Rogue unless you also hit the low-reflex Cleric.

The J Pizzel
2009-09-14, 03:18 PM
Damn you all and your logic. :smallbiggrin:

Tiki Snakes
2009-09-14, 03:30 PM
Damn you all and your logic. :smallbiggrin:

With all the above in mind (and pretty nicely summed up) it still pretty much boils down to, 'if you feel like it'. It will change how some classes feel a fair bit, but probably won't make too much difference in the long-run, re-rolls excepted.

(Perhaps, if you go through with it, only count the re-roll for one target, even if the attack targeted several? That'd probably nip that little loophole nicely in the bud?)

I will say, Having run keep on the shadowfell; Don't be afraid to bend the module out of shape. If you run them exactly as-is, there's a real possibility that there will be plot-holes or simply things that the PC's won't ever get any kind of explanation on, or so on.
Mostly though, watch out for their naming of things.

Good God.

The Keep on the Shadowfell takes place in and around Winterhaven, a small town in the Cairngorms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairngorms) and features an exposition-heavy encounter with the Undead commander of the Keep, Sir Keegan (http://www.virginmedia.com/microsites/tvradio/slideshow/tv-revivals/img_9.jpg).

I actually refused to change either of those names, because the sheer pain they caused my players was like delicious candy.

Starsinger
2009-09-14, 04:02 PM
Keep on the Shadow... whatever is also the second worst thing a character of mine has ever experienced, the worst being Thunderspire Labyrinth.

Person_Man
2009-09-14, 04:10 PM
You can do it that way, but it strengthens any re-roll abilities, like Elven Accuracy (which is already one of the strongest racial powers in the game, and even gets stronger if FRPG is allowed).

Agreed. But that's a reason to remove or nerf Elven Accuracy, not to keep an overly complex 4E mechanic. I too prefer the SWSE version.

The J Pizzel
2009-09-14, 04:52 PM
Agreed. But that's a reason to remove or nerf Elven Accuracy, not to keep an overly complex 4E mechanic. I too prefer the SWSE version.

Well, crap. Make up my mind for me. Do I use the SWSE mechanic and nerf certain abilities or just play RAW and be miserable. MISERABLE I TELL YA!!!.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I'll probably just ask the group which one they prefer. I can word it like this:

"if we use the SWSW version, you'll usually either hit all or none in your AoE attacks. If not, then you could miss some and hit others. As far as attacks against you, this means that if the baddie rolls high and hits the high defense characters like the tanks, he'll usually hit the low defense characters as well, by default. Not using it means a that a tank might get smacked by a lucky high roll, but the wizzie might be missed by a lucky low roll, as opposed to both being hit for sure."

Did I say that right?