PDA

View Full Version : Winter & Summer Born & Chosen [D&D 3.5, PEACH]

AlistairThorne
2009-09-14, 06:38 PM
I'm mainly looking for feedback on balance...the fluff is subject to change based on my whims. I'm working on a dualist setting (Fire vs. Ice)...the fact these sides happen to be Fae at the moment may change. Feel free to comment on it tho.

Borne of Winter

Children born on, or conceived during, the Winter Solstice are favored by the Court of Winter and are given gifts to show that favor. It is said that all who are borne of Winter possess a calculating, manipulative nature as well as a certain flexibility and resilience. They also, usually, see manual labor as beneath them and lack the common sense of normal folk due to their belief in their own superiority.

However, these advantages are not without certain...costs. A fundamental vulnerability to the most common form of weaponry as well as an inability to tolerate fire magic or even an open flame. They are also tied to the Queen of Autumn, no longer to accept the healing grace of the Spring Queen.

Borne of Winter is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature. An individual borne of winter gains the following adjustments in addition to the existing statistics.

Size and Type
A Borne of Winter gains the Cold Subtype (Immunity to Cold, +50% Damage from Fire)

Special Qualities
Contact with Iron and Iron Derivatives (e.g Steel) result in 1d6 damage. (e.g. If you are hit by a sword, you would take an additional 1d6 damage. If you touch an iron fork, you take 1d6 damage.)

A Borne of Winter cannot use fire-based magic, ever. However, cold-equivalents of all fire-based spells are freely available to the Borne of Winter through their Sidhe contacts.

A Borne of Winter is healed through negative energy, not positive, as if they were an undead.

Abilities
Str -4, Dex +4, Con +4, Int +4, Wis -4, Cha +4

Level Adjustment
+2

Borne of Summer

Children born on, or conceived during, the Summer Solstice are favored by the Court of Summer and are given gifts to show that favor. It is said that all who are borne of Summer possess a wise, gentle nature as well as a certain flexibility and strength. They lack the cold cynicism of Winter.

However, these advantages are not without certain...costs. A fundamental vulnerability to the most common form of weaponry as well as an inability to tolerate fire magic or even an open flame.

Borne of Summer is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature. An individual borne of winter gains the following adjustments in addition to the existing statistics.

Size and Type
A Borne of Summer gains the Fire Subtype (Immunity to Fire, +50% Damage from Cold)

Special Qualities
Contact with Iron and Iron Derivatives (e.g Steel) result in 1d6 damage. (e.g. If you are hit by a sword, you would take an additional 1d6 damage. If you touch an iron fork, you take 1d6 damage.)

A Borne of Summer cannot use cold-based magic, ever. However, fire-equivalents of all cold-based spells are freely available to the Borne of Summer through their Sidhe contacts.

Abilities
Str +2, Dex +2, Con +0, Int -2, Wis +4, Cha +4

Level Adjustment
+2

Chosen of Winter
A reward template for those amongst the Winter Borne who serve the Court loyally, and effectively. The calculating, manipulative nature of these Fae are enhanced and a great gift bestowed upon them. The Grace of the Fae.

Special Qualities

Grace of the Fae (Ex)
The Chosen of Winter use their cold, calculating natures to enhance their resistance to even the most powerful spells of their enemies. In addition, cold calculation provides them with all the information they need to discern their enemy's weaknesses.

A Chosen of Winter has a pool of grace they may draw upon to gain (as a free action) a bonus for one round to their attack rolls and saving throws. The number of points in their Pool of Grace is equal to their Intelligence modifier. The size of the bonus to attack rolls and saving throws is equal to their Charisma.

Abilities
Int +4, Cha +4

Level Adjustment
+3

Chosen of Summer
A reward template for those amongst the Summer Borne who serve the Court loyally, and effectively. The calculating, manipulative nature of these Fae are enhanced and a great gift bestowed upon them. The Grace of the Fae.

Special Qualities

Grace of the Fae (Ex)
The Chosen of Summer use their wise, disarming natures to enhance their resistance to even the most powerful spells of their enemies. In addition, their wisdom provides them with all the information they need to discern their enemy's weaknesses.

A Chosen of Summer has a pool of grace they may draw upon to gain (as a free action) a bonus for one round to their attack rolls and saving throws. The number of points in their Pool of Grace is equal to their Wisdom modifier. The size of the bonus to attack rolls and saving throws is equal to their Charisma.

Abilities
Wis +4, Cha +4

Level Adjustment
+3

Debihuman
2009-09-14, 08:42 PM
Interesting template but I'm not sure the +2 Level Adjustment is warranted in light of the penalties they take.

Debby

AlistairThorne
2009-09-14, 10:24 PM
Interesting template but I'm not sure the +2 Level Adjustment is warranted in light of the penalties they take.

Debby

That could be.

I'm gathering you think the second pair of templates is fine as-is then?

I'll probably wait for more feedback before I make any changes tho. Maybe, I'll add some racial skill bonuses (e.g. +2 Bluff, Intimidate, Hide, Move Silently for Winter and +2 Sense Motive, Spot, Listen, Diplomacy for Summer)

Debihuman
2009-09-14, 11:30 PM
For the second pair, I'm not sure +3 is warranted either. Gaining these templates sounds like you should get the Fey Type.

Debby

AlistairThorne
2009-09-14, 11:54 PM
You may be right...

Although, as I said I'm not sure I want to stick to the Fae theme since the campaign is in the really early stages in my head. xD

So...maybe just non-humanoid type so they avoid the whole 'humanoid-only' magic?

Fey or Native Outsider.

I don't think LA +1 is warranted for the first pair, or LA +2 for the second tho. They would be really, really strong LA +1s and 2s imo.

Maybe just some racial skills plus the type change? Perhaps another special quality (e.g. Spell Resistance 11+HD, SLAs)?

Debihuman
2009-09-15, 12:46 AM
Generally only Fey (as in the Type) are affected by cold iron. Your use of "fae" suggests that you want these creatures be originate from an alternate plane rather than simply be a a creature type. Outsiders follow different rules than Fey creatures. If you want to use "Fae" properly that would be the Environment.

Outsiders vs. Fey

Outsiders

Outsider Type
An outsider is at least partially composed of the essence (but not necessarily the material) of some plane other than the Material Plane. Some creatures start out as some other type and become outsiders when they attain a higher (or lower) state of spiritual existence.

Features
An outsider has the following features.

8-sided Hit Dice.
Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (as fighter).
Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves.
Skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

Traits
An outsider possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

Darkvision out to 60 feet.

Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.

Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.

Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Outsiders not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Outsiders are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.

Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish). Native outsiders breathe, eat, and sleep

Fey

Fey Type
A fey is a creature with supernatural abilities and connections to nature or to some other force or place. Fey are usually human-shaped.

Features
A fey has the following features.

6-sided Hit Dice.
Base attack bonus equal to ½ total Hit Dice (as wizard).
Good Reflex and Will saves.
Skill points equal to (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

Traits
A fey possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

Low-light vision.

Proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.

Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) that it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Fey not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Fey are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.

Fey eat, sleep, and breathe.

A creature cannot have two Types but you could have Extraplanar Fey if you wanted since Extraplanar is a subtype.

Debby

DragoonWraith
2009-09-15, 12:53 AM
Also, comment on grammar: "to be borne" means to be carried. I think you mean "born", as in having been given birth to.

AlistairThorne
2009-09-15, 12:53 AM
Sorry, that wasn't clear.

I meant either type would work for the templates. It didn't have to be Fey.

As per, my original statement in the OP, I'm not 100% sure I want to go with Fey/Fae or a different themed race which works with dualism.

@Dragoon

So noted, but I'm not even sure I want to keep the names. :P

Mulletmanalive
2009-09-15, 04:00 AM
I'm not sure about the iron weakness...I know that was the version that was published in one of the Dragon compendia but it doesn't actually fit with mythology.

The weakness of Fae to unforged iron is based on its position on the liminal between manufactured items and natural ones. As it's refined from something natural but not worked by the processes of industry, it's not truly of either the Fae [natural] realm, which they can control, nor the manufactured realm, which they can scorn.

I'm sure that you included the iron things as some kind of balance but as it massively exaggerates the weaknesses of the creatures, it should drop the LA of the creatures to +2 or probably +1.

A more characterful weakness would be water to the winter breed and fire to the summer breed, as those are the things all beings in nature fear most in those seasons...

AlistairThorne
2009-09-15, 12:36 PM
The iron vulnerability is based on 'popular fantasy' rather than actual mythology. Quite a few authors go that route and I needed a 'bane' substance besides fire/ice to the relative sides for neutral parties to use.

Since the consensus is I've nerfed them too much:

For the Chosen:
Make Grace of the Fae permanent in regards to the saves bonus.

Make the Attack Bonus on Int/Wis permanent for one form of attack (Ranged Attack Rolls or Melee Attack Rolls)

For the Born:
+2 to 4 racial skills
Type change to Outsider (Native) or Fey [One or the other, just not sure which I want yet]
Pass Without A Trace (Su) as the Forest Gnome Ability.
Nondetection (Su) as the Svirfneblin Ability.

Would that balance it out in everyone's opinion?

Iferus
2009-09-16, 03:52 AM
Size and Type
A Borne of Winter gains the Cold Subtype (Immunity to Fire, +50% Damage from Fire)
+3

Copy-paste error right there.

And on a balance note: the LA is currently too high. How about decreasing the LA by one, and replacing it with a level of humanoid? It's still not as powerful as a class level, but at least it provides some hit points to counter the whole +1d6 extra damage mess.

AlistairThorne
2009-09-16, 12:01 PM
Thanks. :)

Eh, if the consensus is the LA is too high then I think I'll just lower it by 1 for both templates since no one seems to agree with my proposed fixes. xD

AlistairThorne
2009-09-17, 08:57 PM
I figure I'll give this a bump at this point.