PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] PrCs with their own Divine Spellcasting

DragoonWraith
2009-09-14, 07:03 PM
So I'm working on a character who is planning on going Warlock 5/Ur-Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 9 (DM has ruled that Warlock counts as a spellcasting class for Ur-Priest caster levels and OKed the build). The thing is, the Eldritch Disciple 10 ability (Timeless Body) would really fit the character. I know it's pretty much mechanically meaningless (especially since I already have some physical attribute penalties due to aging), but it's just really fitting for him to have it. The problem is, after Ur-Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 9, I don't have any divine spellcasting class to increase - Ur-Priest is already finished.

I could just take ED 10, waste the spellcasting advancement, and get my Timeless Body anyway (and I might do that), but I'm wondering: are there any Divine PrC's similar to Nar Demonbinder with better spellcasting advancement, that might be worth dipping in for the sake of getting two levels worth of spellcasting?

Keld Denar
2009-09-14, 07:16 PM
Divine Crusader gets 9th level spells over the course of 10 levels, but only from 1 domain. Its good only though, and would clash with Ur-Priest.

Pious Templar and Holy Liberator both get fast progress Paladin casting (Holy Liberator's list is nearly identical to the Pally of Freedom list in the SRD). HL requires chaotic good only though, IIRC, and PT requires Weapon Focus (you don't look like much of a weapon type).

Apostle of Peace...again, good only.

Yea, not much out there for ya dood...

Fax Celestis
2009-09-14, 07:22 PM
Cold Iron Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20040507a) gets divine casting. It's 4th and 5th level powers are pretty nice, too.

DragoonWraith
2009-09-14, 08:35 PM
Yeah, looks like that's a no-go. Any source of Timeless Body that simultaneously progresses Invocations and will happen in 4 levels (I'm guessing that's a big no). Probably best to just take the level without the spell progression.

Maybe I can convince the DM to just continue the pattern of the Ur-Priest for an 11th level. Or maybe he'll make ED a 9 level class and move the capstones down a level... either would work. Maybe.

Hehe, first I have to get there, of course, and it'll be a long while before I hit 17 anyway.

jiriku
2009-09-14, 11:07 PM
Blackguard, Pious Templar, Consecrated Harrier, Temple Raider of Olidammara (if reflavored to your Ur-faith :smallcool:). Also Nentyar hunter, and arguably Chameleon, although probably only for your Chameleon divine focus.

Chameleon would be particularly effective, as 2 caster levels of Chameleon would allow you to prepare both 1st and 2nd level spells from every divine spell list in the game. Also, the feat and skill requirements are not overly difficult for you to meet by CL 16, especially since you have some time to plan and/or retrain.

Nate the Snake
2009-09-15, 12:30 AM
Blackguard, Pious Templar, Consecrated Harrier, Temple Raider of Olidammara (if reflavored to your Ur-faith :smallcool:). Also Nentyar hunter, and arguably Chameleon, although probably only for your Chameleon divine focus.

Chameleon won't work in this case, unfortunately, as the spellcasting from divine focus specifically can't be advanced with PrCs.

Divine Crusader gets 9th level spells over the course of 10 levels, but only from 1 domain. Its good only though, and would clash with Ur-Priest.

Divine Crusader is deity's-alignment only, not Good only, so there's no alignment conflict, and it wouldn't clash with Ur-Priest any more than Eldritch Disciple, which also requires a deity.

I could just take ED 10, waste the spellcasting advancement, and get my Timeless Body anyway (and I might do that), ...

If nothing else, ED 10 should add to your Ur-Priest caster level, so it's not a total waste.