PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Harley's Compilation Thread (Currently New: Races)

Harley
2009-09-14, 09:25 PM
Well, I've begun experimenting in Fourth Edition Homebrew, and instead of having all of my stuff scattered throughout the forum, I'd like to condense it all into one compilation thread.

First up, something easy that I had a bit of fun with: Homebrewed Viera and Moogles from Final Fantasy, with slightly altered flavor that should make them a bit more flexible when it comes to dropping them into campaigns.

Viera

VIERA
Lithe prowlers of primordial forests
Deadly warriors by any measure

Racial Traits
Average Height: 6’0” – 6’ 8”
Average Weight: 145 lbs – 185 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 7 Squares
Vision: Low-Light Vision
Languages: Common, Viera
Skill Bonuses: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Nature

Viera Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the Scimitar and the Longbow.

Thrill of the Hunt: When you create your character, choose Dexterity, Strength, or Wisdom. You gain a cumulative +1 bonus to Damage rolls when you receive damage while Bloodied, up to a maximum of 1 + your chosen ability’s modifier. This bonus lasts till the end of the encounter or until you are no longer bloodied, at which point the bonus resets to 0.

Wild Sense: You have a +2 racial bonus to initiative checks.

Viera Mobility: You have the Viera Mobility racial power.

Viera Mobility – Viera Racial Power
You dance around your foe, harrying your opponent while you press your attack.
At-Will – Martial
Special: When you create your character, choose Dexterity, Strength, or Wisdom. You may use this power a number of times per day equal to the modifier of the ability you chose (minimum 1)
Minor Action
Personal
Effect: You shift 1 square in any direction and gain a +2 bonus to Attack rolls made against any opponent you have damaged this turn. This bonus lasts until the end of your next turn. This bonus increases to +4 at 18th level. The bonus from this ability is not cumulative

Superb hunters and deadly close-combat fighters, Viera are an insular race hailing from the heart of the world’s few remaining untouched tracts of nature. Although most Viera are extremely passionate about any emotion they feel when among their own kind or among friends, most Viera maintain a façade of calm and collected thought among strangers; this is due mostly to a cultural reticence towards outsiders, who most Viera believe have lost their way and sunk down into depravity, thus severing their connection with the natural world. For this reason, the Viera have remained almost entirely cut off from the outer world, preferring to live amongst their own kind and spend their days wandering among the shadowed pathways of their ancestral forest homes.

Play a Viera if you want…
- To be quick, wild, and dangerous
- To protect and respect nature with unmatched zeal
- To be a member of a race that favors the Ranger, Druid, Shaman, and Avenger classes.

Moogles

MOOGLE
Quirky and somewhat unstable
A strange appearance belies an uncanny intellect

Racial Traits
Average Height: 2’ 10” – 3’ 3”
Average Weight: 30 lbs – 55 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
Size: Small
Speed: 5 squares
Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Mog, and choice of one other language
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 Bluff

Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Fey wild, so you are considered a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin

Mog Ingenuity: You may halve the time it takes to cast a ritual or use an alchemical formula. All other aspects of the ritual or alchemical formula remain the same.

Wanderlust: You have a +2 racial bonus to saving throws to end the effects of Immobilize and Slow. If the effect does not normally grant a saving throw, you may make a saving throw without the +2 racial bonus to resist the effect anyway.

Flight of Fancy: You have the Flight of Fancy racial power.

Flight of Fancy – Moogle Racial Power
Leaping into the air to shake a off a foe, you come down a short distance away and shake off a debilitating effect.
Encounter
Move Action
Personal
Effect: You can Fly up to 3 squares before the end of your next turn. You may make a saving throw at the end of that movement.

A race of tinkers and generally ingenious (and at the same time ingenuous) little fey, the Mog race is also known for their congeniality and ease of making friends among a wide variety of races, which is pretty useful when all you’ve got between you and the world is a big smile and your wits. The Mog, surprisingly, have no ancestral homeland to call their own; rather, they wander the Fey Wild and other parts nomadically, their settlements moving with surprising rapidity over large areas of territory. It is this particular wanderlust that has made the Mog into the race of wandering connoisseurs they have become, sampling the ideas and cultures of whatever beings they may meet and incorporating whatever they may like into their own philosophies.

Play a Moogle if you want…
- To meet new people and be multi-cultural
- To travel and explore new places
- To be a member of a race that favors the Artificer, Bard, Warlock, and Warlord classes.

List of things I'm not happy about:
-The Flight of Fancy power irks me for some reason, but I can't think of a better one. Ideas?
-I particularly like the Moogle flavor, but the Viera flavor makes me cringe.

Next up for Homebrew: Bangaa and Nu Mou

After Next: A variety of mundane and magical homebrewed equipment, and a Paragon Path or two!

Harley
2009-09-14, 09:27 PM
ARCHIVES

Races

Viera

VIERA
Lithe prowlers of primordial forests
Deadly warriors by any measure

Racial Traits
Average Height: 6’0” – 6’ 8”
Average Weight: 145 lbs – 185 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
Speed: 7 Squares
Vision: Low-Light Vision
Languages: Common, Viera
Skill Bonuses: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Nature

Viera Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the Scimitar and the Longbow.

Thrill of the Hunt: When you create your character, choose Dexterity, Strength, or Wisdom. You gain a cumulative +1 bonus to Damage rolls when you receive damage while Bloodied, up to a maximum of 1 + your chosen ability’s modifier. This bonus lasts till the end of the encounter or until you are no longer bloodied, at which point the bonus resets to 0.

Wild Sense: You have a +2 racial bonus to initiative checks.

Viera Mobility: You have the Viera Mobility racial power.

Viera Mobility – Viera Racial Power
You dance around your foe, harrying your opponent while you press your attack.
At-Will – Martial
Special: When you create your character, choose Dexterity, Strength, or Wisdom. You may use this power a number of times per day equal to the modifier of the ability you chose (minimum 1)
Minor Action
Personal
Effect: You shift 1 square in any direction and gain a +2 bonus to Attack rolls made against any opponent you have damaged this turn. This bonus lasts until the end of your next turn. This bonus increases to +4 at 18th level. The bonus from this ability is not cumulative

Superb hunters and deadly close-combat fighters, Viera are an insular race hailing from the heart of the world’s few remaining untouched tracts of nature. Although most Viera are extremely passionate about any emotion they feel when among their own kind or among friends, most Viera maintain a façade of calm and collected thought among strangers; this is due mostly to a cultural reticence towards outsiders, who most Viera believe have lost their way and sunk down into depravity, thus severing their connection with the natural world. For this reason, the Viera have remained almost entirely cut off from the outer world, preferring to live amongst their own kind and spend their days wandering among the shadowed pathways of their ancestral forest homes.

Play a Viera if you want…
- To be quick, wild, and dangerous
- To protect and respect nature with unmatched zeal
- To be a member of a race that favors the Ranger, Druid, Shaman, and Avenger classes.

Moogles

MOOGLE
Quirky and somewhat unstable
A strange appearance belies an uncanny intellect

Racial Traits
Average Height: 2’ 10” – 3’ 3”
Average Weight: 30 lbs – 55 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
Size: Small
Languages: Common, Mog, and choice of one other language
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 Bluff

Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Fey wild, so you are considered a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin

Mog Ingenuity: You may halve the time it takes to cast a ritual or use an alchemical formula. All other aspects of the ritual or alchemical formula remain the same.

Wanderlust: You have a +2 racial bonus to saving throws to end the effects of Immobilize and Slow. If the effect does not normally grant a saving throw, you may make a saving throw without the +2 racial bonus to resist the effect anyway.

Flight of Fancy: You have the Flight of Fancy racial power.

Flight of Fancy – Moogle Racial Power
Leaping into the air to shake a off a foe, you come down a short distance away and shake off a debilitating effect.
Encounter
Move Action
Personal
Effect: You can Fly up to 3 squares before the end of your next turn. You may make a saving throw at the end of that movement.

A race of tinkers and generally ingenious (and at the same time ingenuous) little fey, the Mog race is also known for their congeniality and ease of making friends among a wide variety of races, which is pretty useful when all you’ve got between you and the world is a big smile and your wits. The Mog, surprisingly, have no ancestral homeland to call their own; rather, they wander the Fey Wild and other parts nomadically, their settlements moving with surprising rapidity over large areas of territory. It is this particular wanderlust that has made the Mog into the race of wandering connoisseurs they have become, sampling the ideas and cultures of whatever beings they may meet and incorporating whatever they may like into their own philosophies.

Play a Moogle if you want…
- To meet new people and be multi-cultural
- To travel and explore new places
- To be a member of a race that favors the Artificer, Bard, Warlock, and Warlord classes.

Bangaa

BANGAA
The blood of dragons flows through their veins
Proud warriors and stalwart companions

Racial Traits
Average Height: 5’2 – 5’8”
Average Weight: 180 lbs – 230 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom
Languages: Common, Draconic, and Bangaa
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Intimidate

Bangaa Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the Glaive and the Falchion.

Encumbered Speed: You move at your normal speed even when a heavy load or your armor would normally reduce it. Other effects that limit your speed (such as difficult terrain or magical effects) affect you normally.

Bangaa Tenacity: When you’re bloodied, you gain a +1 racial bonus to all defenses.

Blood of Dragons: You have the Blood of Dragons racial power.

Blood of Dragons – Bangaa Racial Power
With a mighty roar, you call upon the power of your blood to lend you the strength of your ancestors.
Encounter
Personal
Minor Action
Special: You must be bloodied in order to use this power.
Effect: You spend a healing surge and gain temporary hit points equal to your healing surge value. These temporary hit points last for 1 round + ½ your level.

Nu Mou

NU MOU
Wise and gentle scholars
A keen mind behind a calm exterior

Racial Traits:
Average Height: 4’ 3” – 4’ 9”
Average Weight: 150 – 200 lbs

Ability scores: +2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence
Speed: 6 squares
Languages: Common, Nu Mou, choice of one other language
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 Insight

Nu Mou Education: You gain training in one additional skill from your class skill list.

Arcane Heritage: You gain Resist 5 Arcane. This increases to Resist 10 at 15th level.

Trance: Rather than sleep, Nu Mou enter a meditative state known as trance. You need to spend 4 hours in this state to gain the same benefits other races gain from a 6-hour extended rest. While in a trance, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.

Deluge of Power: You have the Deluge of Power racial power

Deluge of Power – Nu Mou Racial Power
Tapping deep into the core of your being, you unleash a flood of energy that leaves your foes dazzled.
Encounter
Minor Action
Close burst 1
Target: Each creature in burst
Special: The origin square of this power is unaffected by Deluge of Power
Special: When you create your character, choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Constitution as the ability to use with this power.
Attack: Intelligence, Wisdom, or Constitution + 2 vs. Reflex
Effect: Target takes damage equal to your chosen ability’s modifier and is Blinded for a number of rounds equal to ½ your chosen ability’s modifier.

Harley
2009-09-18, 11:12 PM
As promised, the Fourth Edition D&D Bangaa and Nu Mou! Unfortunately, due to time constraints I haven't had time to make their racial flavor, but the mechanics are fleshed out!

Bangaa

BANGAA
The blood of dragons flows through their veins
Proud warriors and stalwart companions

Racial Traits
Average Height: 5’2 – 5’8”
Average Weight: 180 lbs – 230 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom
Languages: Common, Draconic, and Bangaa
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Intimidate

Bangaa Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the Glaive and the Falchion.
Encumbered Speed: You move at your normal speed even when a heavy load or your armor would normally reduce it. Other effects that limit your speed (such as difficult terrain or magical effects) affect you normally.
Bangaa Tenacity: When you’re bloodied, you gain a +1 racial bonus to all defenses.
Blood of Dragons: You have the Blood of Dragons racial power.

Blood of Dragons – Bangaa Racial Power
With a mighty roar, you call upon the power of your blood to lend you the strength of your ancestors.
Encounter
Personal
Minor Action
Special: You must be bloodied in order to use this power.
Effect: You spend a healing surge and gain temporary hit points equal to your healing surge value. These temporary hit points last for 1 round + ½ your level.

Nu Mou

NU MOU
Wise and gentle scholars
A keen mind behind a calm exterior

Racial Traits:
Average Height: 4’ 3” – 4’ 9”
Average Weight: 150 – 200 lbs

Ability scores: +2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence
Speed: 6 squares
Languages: Common, Nu Mou, choice of one other language
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 Insight

Nu Mou Education: You gain training in one additional skill from your class skill list.
Arcane Heritage: You gain Resist 5 Arcane. This increases to Resist 10 at 15th level.
Trance: Rather than sleep, Nu Mou enter a meditative state known as trance. You need to spend 4 hours in this state to gain the same benefits other races gain from a 6-hour extended rest. While in a trance, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.
Deluge of Power: You have the Deluge of Power racial power

Deluge of Power – Nu Mou Racial Power
Tapping deep into the core of your being, you unleash a flood of energy that leaves your foes dazzled.
Encounter
Minor Action
Close burst 1
Target: Each creature in burst
Special: The origin square of this power is unaffected by Deluge of Power
Special: When you create your character, choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Constitution as the ability to use with this power.
Attack: Intelligence, Wisdom, or Constitution + 2 vs. Reflex
Effect: Target takes damage equal to your chosen ability’s modifier and is Blinded for a number of rounds equal to ½ your chosen ability’s modifier.

List of things I'm not happy about:
-The Nu Mou race just feels like a train wreck to me, though I think I stuck close to the source material. It will probably be getting a rewrite in the near future.
-I had a hard time making the Bangaa different from Dragonborn, though I think I did pretty well.
-No flavor added this run, which I'll be fixing along with misc. issues with the Nu Mou race. I'll be amending this for both the Bangaa and Nu Mou in the Archived post with my next release.

Things I AM happy about:
-I think the Bangaa came out really nice, and their racial stats really mesh well with each other.

Next up for Homebrew: A variety of mundane and magical homebrewed equipment!

After Next: I haven't the foggiest idea what I'd like to do next, so suggest something and I'll take a crack at it!

Starsinger
2009-09-19, 09:40 AM
Nu Mou always felt scholarly to me, so perhaps instead of Arcane Heritage and Deluge of Power which gives the impression that Nu Mou are wellsprings of magical energy, why not play up the "Nu Mou are Loremasters" aspect? Maybe "Scholarly Persuit: A Nu Mou may can take Alchemist or Ritualist as a bonus feat at character creation, this cannot be retrained." instead of Arcane Heritage?

All in all the rest are fairly nice, though.