PDA

View Full Version : A feel for gnomes (3.x and others)

Coidzor
2009-09-15, 01:23 AM
What sort of interpretation do you prefer to view them through? Their feel, culture, society, that sort of thing.

Do you even have an interpretation to view them through?

What source book was it that went into how they are in Eberron in 3.5 again?

One of my friends is asking me for help in explaining them to give him a better feel for how they fit in, as he's having difficulty conceptualizing what a gnomish settlement would be like.

Navigator
2009-09-15, 01:44 AM
When I think of Gnomes, I usually imagine a couple of things.

Curiousness
This is the "mad scientist" that makes potions all day, just to have them blow up in his face. He is usually met in a puff of nasty smelling mixes-gone-wrong, but doesn't miss a beat with his snarky attitude.

Despite sometimes looking silly and dismissable, this gnome is really an ingenious tinker. He really knows his stuff, and only gets in these kinds of situations because of trial and error. Okay well... most of the time it's trial and error.

The Trickster
The charming, but easily irritating little guy that plays a joke any chance he can get. Trip you down the stairs, cheat at dice, or just scare the bejesus out of you with a spooky sound or invisible tap on the shoulder.

While this Gnome can seem annoying, you'll never suspect him to be what he really is... a cunning adventurer. Whether he's a Rogue or a Wizard, or both, the tricks he has up his sleeve aren't only fun, but can be very deadly.

The Bard
Honestly, I really have a hard time imagining Gnomes as Bards (or even later, as Fey). I think this was just WotC boxing them into something just for the sake of making everything nice and neat. While the Bard's spell list makes a bit of sense for them, I dislike to consider it "iconic". I would much rather see Gnomes get +2 Int instead of +2 Con, or in Pathfinder, +2 Int instead of +2 Cha.

This isn't to say you shouldn't like Gnomes this way. If you do, great! But if you don't want your Gnome to sing all the time, there are many dimensions to the personality of Gnomes than probably any other race.

Zaq
2009-09-15, 01:58 AM
Gnomes poke things. That's really their defining feature. They poke ideas, inventions, teammates. Art styles, fighting styles, speaking styles. Gnomes poke them. They try to either get a reaction, learn more about what's actually going on, or both. It's not malicious, nor is it pathological. It's just what they do, more often than not. A gnome is also, I should add, generally totally capable of restraining himself or herself. Once they poke something, they don't have to keep poking it if it becomes obvious that it shouldn't be poked. A gnome doesn't HAVE to continually bother teammates, stick their hand into the deathtrap, or tear down what they already have. They poke things, they don't beat on them. This is what I mean when I say they're not pathological. They're not elves, after all.

(It should go without saying that this is all just my opinion, but hey.)

Kosjsjach
2009-09-15, 02:01 AM
Personally, I greatly enjoy Pathfinder (http://paizo.com/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG)'s take on gnomes.

Basically, they're extraplanar refugees from thousands of years ago from a fey realm, and they constantly require new or engaging experiences or they suffer from "the Bleaching" which eventually kills them.

Simply thinking of them as "the little folk" steps on the halfling's toes (no pun intended), and calling them "the underground-dwelling craftsmen" encroaches on the dwarves' territory. Making them an eternally-curious fey-kin gives them a unique flavor.

BobVosh
2009-09-15, 02:04 AM
Personally, I greatly enjoy Pathfinder (http://paizo.com/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG)'s take on gnomes.

Basically, they're extraplanar refugees from thousands of years ago from a fey realm, and they constantly require new or engaging experiences or they suffer from "the Bleaching" which eventually kills them.

Simply thinking of them as "the little folk" steps on the halfling's toes (no pun intended), and calling them "the underground-dwelling craftsmen" encroaches on the dwarves' territory. Making them an eternally-curious fey-kin gives them a unique flavor.

Beat me to it. I really like it. Indeed it reminds me a bit of changeling which I like.

BooNL
2009-09-15, 02:04 AM
Gnomes poke things. That's really their defining feature. They poke ideas, inventions, teammates. Art styles, fighting styles, speaking styles. Gnomes poke them. They try to either get a reaction, learn more about what's actually going on, or both. It's not malicious, nor is it pathological. It's just what they do, more often than not. A gnome is also, I should add, generally totally capable of restraining himself or herself. Once they poke something, they don't have to keep poking it if it becomes obvious that it shouldn't be poked. A gnome doesn't HAVE to continually bother teammates, stick their hand into the deathtrap, or tear down what they already have. They poke things, they don't beat on them. This is what I mean when I say they're not pathological. They're not elves, after all.

(It should go without saying that this is all just my opinion, but hey.)

This is pretty much my take on them as well. They're a highly curious species and just want to find out how everything ticks.

Of course, most of the race is based on only a couple of character traits: curiosity, lightheartedness, steadfastness. I couldn't imagine an entire village of gnomes though, for some reason I keep seeing a Smurf village...

Yora
2009-09-15, 02:29 AM
We had a thread with the exact same question just a month ago:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66762&highlight=gnomes

Harperfan7
2009-09-15, 03:27 AM
My gnomes are:

+2 Int, -2 Wis
small, speed 20ft.
+2 Craft Alchemy, Decipher Script, Use magic device
+1 disable device and open lock
+1 to any two craft or knowledge skills
treats light repeaters as simple, and heavy ones as martial
+1 to dcs of illusion spells cast
+2 to saves vs. illusion

they make smokepowder, bombs, and firearms
creators of airships
live in well hidden burrows cloaked in illusion magic
create powerful constructs to make up for lack of martial ability
best smugglers in the world
A few end up insane mad geniuses
the only (PHB) race to never war with itself or start wars with others
never builds kingdoms or empires

More than any other race, they lack the seven sins. If not for this, their general lack of ambition, and their tendency to have creations blow up or otherwise turn against them, they would be a huge power in the world.

curious, inventive, tricky, bookish, tinkers, pranksome, devious, surprisingly capable

(In short, much cooler than PHB)

bosssmiley
2009-09-15, 06:52 AM
Gnomes are what happens when a Dwarf and an Elf get really drunk and ask one another "How about it then?" The outcome (magic hairball ADD guy) is thus an embarrassment to both parents, as well as an unholy abomination unto the world. This is why Gnomes must be destroyed. :smallamused:

Srsly: I've never been able to find a niche for Gnomes. All they do is step on other people's shtick.
Tinker/crafter? Dwarves.
Illusion-slinging, talks-to-the-animals forest guy? Elves.
Burrow-dwelling guerilla? Halflings.

@Coidzor: You're thinking of Races of Eberron. Which did little more with them than slather on thick the old Gnomes of Zurich cliché. Eberron; home of the Gnomenati, Hot Topic Elves, Arabic Elves, magic robots, an entire race of Wolverine, and of Barney-riding Kender. :smallsigh:

Greenfaun
2009-09-15, 09:24 AM
Oh, come on. They're Barney-riding mafioso, not barney-riding kender! :)

LibraryOgre
2009-09-15, 09:27 AM
From a version of 3rd edition I did about 2000:

http://www.editors-wastebasket.org/nexx/indep/newdd/Gnomes.htm

Gnomes

Gnomes are much like a mixture of elves and dwarves. While they share the dwarf’s love of work, it is tempered by an elf’s love of fun. They prefer areas of rocky, rolling hills, often in forests far from human habitation. They are physically small and slight, but nonetheless possess physical strength out of portion with their size. Their skin is typically appears either darkly tanned or brown, while their hair goes white at a very early age. Most have blue eyes that almost invariably dance with mirth, but those with green, brown, or yellow eyes are not unknown… some of the greatest gnomish heroes and villains have had these odd eye colors, so they are viewed as being particularly auspicious.

Above eye or hair color, though, is a gnome’s nose. Even though gnomes don’t stand as tall as either dwarves or humans, their noses are often much bigger, a fact that they’re quite proud of. Many a discussion has ended in size comparisons, and both sexes consider a large nose to be a sign of beauty (though gnomish ladies are less likely to compare than gnomish men are). Adult (more than 100 years old) male gnomes often keep neatly trimmed beards, and, unlike dwarves, females do not grow facial hair.

Gnomes are industrious, and this is perhaps where they most resemble their distant cousins, the dwarves. When gnomes organize, it is more often on a basis of talent than position, with each gnome lending a hand where he or she can be most useful, and then each conscientiously completing that task. They are often aided by the animals that live in their area, and treat them as valued friends and allies rather than pets or work beasts. Gnomish workmen shine, not at producing raw materials, but rather in putting the finishing touches on objects. For example, few gnomes mine ores or gems, but many are adept at turning them into works of art. Adolescent gnomes are included in all these tasks, each experimenting with various trades until they find one that suits their talents.

Of course, not every gnome is an industrious worker or a valued member of society. They have their share of shiftless bums and sneak thieves. Those gnomes that consistently let others do the work, or regularly go beyond the boundaries of good behavior, will likely find themselves turned out of the close-knit gnomish community.

Gnomish humor is legendary… or perhaps infamous. They constantly play practical jokes on each other, as well as exchanging friendly insults (though NEVER about the size of a gnome’s nose) and humorous quips. The gnomish love for illusion magic often shows in their humor, and illusionists are often not only valued members of the community, but skilled practical jokesters as well. Gnomes of all stripes not only play practical jokes on their enemies (indeed, a practical joke is much more likely than physical violence from a gnome), but on their friends as well. This can be disconcerting, but one seldom has to wonder if the string of practical jokes is directed at them because they are friend or foe. Gnomes are generally very open about all their emotions, and display affection as openly as grief or dislike.

Innate Abilities

Generally, a gnome’s senses are very sharp. Their sense of smell is as developed as their noses, and they tend to have a very light touch. Like most humanoids, though, they rely on their sight much more than other senses. Like dwarves, they have infravision, but theirs only extends to 30’. This rarely hinders the gnomes, who prefer more winding tunnels in their hillside homes. They also have strong night vision, and can see in moonlight as though it were it were daylight (this extra sensitivity costs them, however, and they’re –1 to save against magics that cause blindness from bright light).. Since gnomes tend so much to fine work, though, their eyesight often grows poorer as they get older. Many an elderly gnome wears spectacles of finely ground glass to aid his failing vision.

From birth, gnomes are exposed to illusion magic. It’s used in the stories they are told around the hearth, in the religious services on festival days, and in the more elaborate practical jokes. This constant exposure to magic designed to fool the senses gives them a degree of resistance to it, and they have an automatic saving throw against any magic designed to fool the senses, without needing to spend a round to disbelieve. If the magic normally does not allow a saving throw (such as Invisibility), the gnome may attempt one if he or she spends a round attempting to disbelieve.

For all their skill with illusion magic, however, gnomes have trouble with some of the more physical forms of magic. Gnomes may not take more than Lesser access to the schools of Alteration, Conjuration, and Invocation, and even that is as difficult to learn as Greater access is for other schools. For some reason, the true secrets of these magics are beyond them, and few gnomes learn even the basics. Those that do not learn the basics of those schools, though, find that that items that use Alteration, Conjuration, or Invocation as a primary effect will malfunction in their hands about 20% of the time. This functions much like the dwarven disadvantage above, but only with regard to these 3 schools. Should a gnomish magic-user know how to use one of the schools and not the others, they will suffer the disadvantage with items from the schools they do not know. A gnomish warrior or rogue, having no opportunity to learn those schools, would suffer from the disadvantage with all items using those schools.

Like most races, gnomes stress certain skills above others. They find the skills of Animal Lore, Appraising, Blacksmithing, Brewing, Carpentry, Cobbling, Engineering, Fire-building, Gem Cutting, Leather Working, Pottery, Reading/Writing (Gnomish), Sculpting, Set Snares, and Weaponsmithing very easy to learn. Thus, these skills cost one less CP to learn. Since gnomish armies and militia prefer certain weapons above others, gnomes also find that daggers, darts, light crossbows, short swords, short bows, slings, and spears are similarly easy to learn.

Their sharp senses and inquisitive natures give gnomes a +1 to their Perception score, making them nearly as sharp as elves. However, their small size and odd looks gives them a –1 to Comeliness in the eyes of other races. To themselves, of course, they are the most beautiful people in the world.

Optional Abilities

Gnomes have 25 points to spend on optional abilities. The average gnome will have Mining Detection Abilities, Melee Combat Bonus, and Natural Illusionist.

Animal friendship (10): Once a day a gnome gains an animal friendship spell ability, as the spell, with respect to burrowing animals.

Dagger bonus (5): +1 to attack rolls with daggers.

Dart bonus (5): +1 to attack rolls with darts, their preferred missile weapon.

Defensive bonus (5): +1 to defense when in a constricted area, such as underground or an area with thick underbrush.

Forest movement (10): The ability to pass without trace through their native woodland as the spell of the same name.

Freeze (10): the ability to "freeze" in place in when in their natural environment (underground and wooded hills). This gives them a 60% chance not to be noticed by passersby.

Hide (10): This gives a gnome the ability to hide in his or her natural environment with a % chance equal to his or her Dexterity plus 10 plus their level.

Melee Combat bonus (5/10/15): When in combat with gnolls, bugbears, ogres, half-ogres, ogre magi, trolls, giants, and titans, gnomes get a +4 to their defense score. For 10 points, this bonus extends to all larger than man-sized creatures, and to any creature of man-size or larger for 15 points.

Mining Detection Abilities (10): A character with this skill is familiar with mining, tunneling and stonework. By concentrating for one round the character can make a Perception check to determine the depth or direction underground. Alternately, they can try to determine the slope of any passage they’re in, or determine the safety of the walls, ceilings, and floors in that passage.

Natural Illusionist (5): Because of a combination of natural skill and rigorous training, the character gains two extra spell points per level that may only be used for illusion spells, and is considered to have Lesser access to the school of Illusion. Warriors and Rogues with this ability are limited to cantrips until 7th level, when they may learn 1st level spells.

Racial Enmity (5): The gnome gains a +1 to attack goblins and kobolds, their traditional enemies.

Short sword bonus (5): +1 to attack rolls with short swords.

Sling bonus (5): +1 bonus "to hit" when using a sling.

Short Bow Bonus (5): +1 bonus to hit when using a short bow

Spear Bonus (5): +1 bonus to hit when using a spear.

Stealth (10): If the gnome is not in metal armor, a –4 penalty is applied to opponent’s surprise rolls if the gnome is at least 90 feet ahead of a party of characters without this ability, or accompanied only by characters with equivalent stealth skills. The gnome is also difficult to surprise himself and receives a +2 bonus to his own surprise rolls.

Other Game Information on Gnomes

Gnomes are counted as Small creatures in all cases where that is important. This restricts them from using large weapons, and means they must use medium weapons with two hands. They also cannot use heavy crossbows, weapons more than three times their height or those that weigh more than 20 pounds. Their base movement rate is 8, and their base defense is a 10. The average height is 38+1d6 inches for males, and 36+1d6 inches for females. Average weight is 72+5d4 pounds for men, and 68+5d4 pounds for females. The average gnome is Neutral Good, though they may be of any alignment.

Gnomes tend to begin their careers (or their wanderings) around the age of 90 (though some start as early as 50), and are considered to be in their prime until they reach 300 years of age. Soon after that 300th birthday, they enter into middle age, at which point they have a 15% chance of becoming near-sighted (-1 to Perception whenever it involves sight at a distance). At this point, they also lose one point of Strength and Constitution, but gain one of Intelligence and Wisdom. They remain middle aged until the middle of their 5th century, when they pass into old age. At this point, they have a 30% chance of either becoming nearsighted or having it worsen another step (-2 to Perception whenever it involves sight at a distance). They also lose two points off of strength and dexterity at this time, and a point of Constitution, as well. They do gain a point of Wisdom at this age, however. Soon after a gnome turns 600, he becomes a venerable elder, and is usually rather onery. At this point, a gnome has a 50% chance of either becoming nearsighted or losing his or her sight entirely, in addition to the one-point losses to strength, dexterity, and constitution. Their accumulated wisdom and knowledge, however, gives them a +1 to Intelligence and Wisdom. Gnomes rarely survive much beyond 750 years, and none beyond 800.