PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer FB / 40k - Timeline

Whoracle
2009-09-15, 02:23 AM
I have been wondering for a while now if the timeline of Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Warhammer 40k are supposed to connect, and if so, when.

My Google-Fu has failed me thus far, and so I pose this question to you, Grimdarkfans itP:
"Is FB the past of 40k, or an alternate timeline, or the future, or have any official sources commented on this, and if so, where?"

Thank you.

Lord Herman
2009-09-15, 02:31 AM
As far as I know, the two universes are entirely separate. They used to be vaguely connected, but they haven't been for some time now.

Ossian
2009-09-15, 02:55 AM
As far as I know, the two universes are entirely separate. They used to be vaguely connected, but they haven't been for some time now.

I once read an article (not GW canon, just an article) that suggested that the mutations in the WHF planet are due to a warp storm touching now and again its northern pole. 4 Mercenaries were sent to retrieve a genestealer of some kind (with human form of sorts) before the plague spread. Failure meant inquisition = fire = planet glassed and sterilized.

This seemed to suggest the two universes are actually contemporary. Fascinating, although by no means official.

M.

SurlySeraph
2009-09-15, 01:52 PM
It used to be that the world on which WHF takes place was somewhere in the Milky Way, I think near the Eye of Terror. WHF Chaos armies were even allowed to take Chaos Space Marines at one point. However, this is apparently no longer canon.

Erloas
2009-09-15, 02:01 PM
I believe the original idea of 40k was that it was 40k years into the future of fantasy. Obviously that leaves a lot of things broken, for example since all races in fantasy are on the same planet and then have to originate on different planets in 40k, but none of the fantasy races had the technology to be able to get there then.

Then I think there was some thoughts that WHF was just another planet in the eye of terror. But of course that still lead to a lot of problems since the history of various gods contradicted the established fluff in each setting. Especially since they were trying to differentiate the settings and make them unique.

Along with the fact that some fantasy races obvious would have had to die out, which wouldn't be good for fantasy. Races such as the Vampire Counts, Tomb Kings, lizardmen, and dwarfs. And of course there are the skaven and Bretonnians and beastmen which wouldn't have died out but would have clearly just been taken over by the empire and no longer really be their own entity.

So a few editions ago they severed all ties between the two universes and go with the simple fact that while they have a lot in common they are in no way connected.

comicshorse
2009-09-15, 07:09 PM
In an old White Dwarf there was a WFRP scenario where a WH40K creature turn up on the world and must be dealt with by the P.C.s. Which indicates they exist at the same time, which they kinda must for Slaneesh to exist in both. But that was ages ago and could have been since changed

Winterwind
2009-09-15, 07:26 PM
I've heard multiple times that they used to be in the same universe, until Games Workshop changed its mind and went for the opposite concept, ever since they were two completely seperate universes that happened to share some similar ideas. Which is almost certainly for the better of both of them.

lisiecki
2009-09-15, 07:34 PM
I believe the original idea of 40k was that it was 40k years into the future of fantasy. Obviously that leaves a lot of things broken, for example since all races in fantasy are on the same planet and then have to originate on different planets in 40k, but none of the fantasy races had the technology to be able to get there then.

No, the game has always taken place in the 410st century Anno Domini.

the planet, of WFB for a time took place in a planet that was inside of a long term warpstorm

Erloas
2009-09-16, 11:24 AM
No, the game has always taken place in the 410st century Anno Domini.

the planet, of WFB for a time took place in a planet that was inside of a long term warpstorm

No, I'm pretty sure that was a later stage. Originally it was just to future of fantasy, when they realized how many conflicting bits of history and loop holes and all sorts of other things that created. Then they tried the WHF takes place on a planet inside the Eye Of Terror and it had just as many issues, just of different natures. And then they just broke all ties between them.

I'm not entirely sure if the WHF exists in the Eye of Terror was every even official GW fluff. I know it was propagated by the community to try to explain why nothing really made sense trying to connect the two games, but I don't know if it started from a GW publication or not.

YPU
2009-09-16, 12:03 PM
I also heard a theory that they are separate dimensions on either side of the warp. Of course the warp is infinite so there is no real point but it would explain why chaos is the same and everything else different.

For a few fun facts, there used to be a lot of cross over. For instance the zonatrhropes (sp?) used to be a vanguard slave creature of the tyranids, they would scout out planets. Warhammer fantasy also had these creatures in it, they were in fact allies of the wood elves.
And there were more double’s I believe.

Now if you want to go entirely funcky look up the first edition of talisman, they have a time travel expansion which allows space marines etz in it.

lisiecki
2009-09-16, 05:47 PM
No, I'm pretty sure that was a later stage. Originally it was just to future of fantasy, when they realized how many conflicting bits of history and loop holes and all sorts of other things that created. Then they tried the WHF takes place on a planet inside the Eye Of Terror and it had just as many issues, just of different natures. And then they just broke all ties between them.

thats amazing.

Here I am looking at Rogue Trader, and all the refrences to Terra and Mars.

But hey, if your sure thats cool.

I just hate it when books lie to me.

lisiecki
2009-09-16, 09:23 PM
For a few fun facts, there used to be a lot of cross over. For instance the zonatrhropes (sp?) used to be a vanguard slave creature of the tyranids, they would scout out planets. Warhammer fantasy also had these creatures in it, they were in fact allies of the wood elves. .

Zoats are the race that is in both