PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Adventurers

Pages : [1] 2

Skorj
2009-09-15, 02:39 AM
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125041)

Every year students return home for the summer on Mid Sping’s Eve, one of the four days each year when long-range teleporting is the easiest. By tradition, graduates of the academy also return home at that time, to say goodbyes to family and start their lives as arcanists.

You have completed finals and graduation, and several days of serious partying, as demanded by ancient tradition. But the parties are over, and you've had at least half a day to sober up and seek repeat castings of Cure Critical Hangover, in preparation for going home. Groups of students step into the Academy Teleport Circle to be sent home, one village at a time. Dinner time approaches as you gather in the circle when your turn comes, and are expecting a hearty welcome as the spell activates to transport you home to Stonedown village.

As you become aware of your new surroundings, you realize that something is very wrong. Instead of the expected smells of cooking for your welcome home feast, you smell the acrid smoke of many nearby burning buildings, and rather than the men of the village gathered to fight the fires, the streets are deserted. Something is very wrong.

In the distance, through the drifting smoke, you recognize the distinctive silhouette of "Willie", a Dwarven warrior and village leader you've all known for many years (“Willie” is a nickname he’s had since before he came to the village). He shouts and waves you over. As you leave the village center and move towards Willie, you see that the fires are no accident; the village has clearly been looted and anything breakable smashed before being put to the torch.

You draw near, and see that Willie and 4 of the stronger young village men are filling in 3 graves. A group of about 10 less able villagers, mostly elderly, become visible as you move through the smoke. A cart is nearby, apparently to provide transport for these villagers, but there are no animals hitched to it yet. Other than these few, Stonedown village seems empty.

“Welcome home, friends,” Willie says softly. “We were overrun by goblins just a few hours ago, but it’s not as bad as it seems, and not nearly so bad as it might have been. I hadn’t figured Brother Malcolm to be so prepared for battle, but he took charge as soon as we knew what was happening, and by his leadership managed to save most of those who were in the village at the time. And to raise several from the dead who weren’t so lucky! It’s surely a blessing from Athena that we bury only three today.”

You all know Brother Malcolm well, not only as the spiritual leader of the village, but as a mentor who helped encourage your interest in the arcane arts and sponsor each of you to the Academy. But you know him as someone often lost in thought and pondering the abstract: it comes as quite a shock to think of him as taking the lead in a battle, or as powerful enough to raise the dead.

“Me and these stout lads volunteered to stay and bury the dead, and to help gather those who had hidden on their farms during the attack,” Willie continues. “Brother Malcolm led the survivors north, to the old Wyndmere Ruins, where he says a company of troops from Spod Manor will meet them before nightfall. We were to wait for you, and for any we could find, before heading north to join him.”

“I know this must all be a great shock,” he adds, “but if a few of you could help us here, we should be able to leave in just over an hour. And if there are any magical preparations you could make to help protect or defend us on this trip, I fear we’ll be needing that help as well. I hate to ask you to prove the skills the academy taught you in battle, but while the goblins have left the village, from their numbers and discipline they were clearly just a small part of a larger army, and I fear what we may encounter as darkness falls.”

While conditions are hardly ideal, they are adequate for preparing spells, and you may spend your time that way if you choose, or perhaps in helping Wilie with what he may need.

olentu
2009-09-15, 04:43 AM
Randorf stands there with disheveled brown hair and wrinkled clothes looking like he just got out of bed. His hands are stuffed into his many pockets. The outfit that he has owned since he came of age is patched and repaired in numerous places but is still as ready for a hike through the woods as when it was new. Randorf scans his brown eyes over the ruin of the village.

Randorf sighs and than says "I suppose that the situation does justify the arduous task of spell preparation. I will prepare what defenses I can if you do not need me for anything more pressing, Willie."

[OOC: I am claiming "DarkOrange" as the speech color for Randorf]

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-15, 05:53 AM
Ennaruma is a gnome. That much is obviously from her appearance - no self-respecting halfling would have pink hair. Her nose is also slightly rounder, and her ears slightly larger than your typical halfling, and her eyes quite a bit larger. Today she's wearing her travelling outfit - subdued blues and greens, sensible boots and fingerless leather gloves. It's a far cry from her usual vivid shows of questionable taste, but she was planning on going home today.

The young gnome - young when it comes to gnomes, anyway - just stands there in mute shock for several long minutes. She shivers, as if cold, hugging herself. "I-I... guess I should... go prepare some spells, too..." She wanders off in a sort of daze, whispering to herself. "Oh sweet gods in heaven..."

Stabby
2009-09-15, 07:02 AM
A five foot tall metallic humanoid stands there listening, his bronze (literally not suntanned) face revealing no expression. With a nod, he rotates and walks away. After a couple of steps, he pauses and then turns. "Apologies, a verbal response is in order." The construct extends his hands in a gesture of consolation. "I am sorry for the death of your kin. I will study now."

RelentlessImp
2009-09-15, 08:19 AM
Di'vai stands stock still, taking in the carnage that has destroyed the village he left what seems like a lifetime ago. The tall, handsome teenager blinks several times, examining the grisly scene before him. Blue eyes blink rapidly, as if he can't believe what's happening. Just a few short hours ago, he'd been having the time of his life and dreading stepping into the circle that brought him here. The white-and-black spotted kitten resting on his left shoulder has been dozing for the most part, and she raises her head to look, yawns, and goes back to napping.

Then he gets ahold of himself, running his hands through the wealth of blond hair on his head, tying it back into a ponytail to keep it out of his face. The image of flames covering the left side of his face seems to pulse.

"I'll help with the burying as soon as I do something, Willie. I don't have any spells that can help protect, but I may have a friend that does."

With that, he steps away from the site, going a bit away and picking up a burned stick with which he etches the symbol of Malphas into the ground. "Malphas, the Turnfeather, I call you. I have need of your power."

Di'vai makes a Binding Check - (1d20+7)[16](23) vs DC 15

Once the binding is complete, his teeth and tongue have turned pitch black. He calls a raven to his shoulder and orders it to scout the area around, to see if any goblins remain nearby. The feline that had been resting on his other shoulder watches this with horrified eyes, but his familiar has grown used to the quirks of her master.

PId6
2009-09-15, 11:36 AM
Tarric

A slim reptilian creature follows the other arcanists on two small clawed feet, wearing loose scholar's robes of good quality marked with the symbol of the Academy. His scales shine bright copper in the light and his large red eyes peer sadly at the devastated buildings around them. Though he was not born to this village, the villagers did take him in out of kindness, and he felt as much sorrow for their loss as he would for his own.

While the others study their spells, he sits upon the ground and meditates, going over his young memories of the village, of the years before he went to join the Academy, and of the summers he had spent here during his years of study. Were he able to shed tears like a human, he would have.

Finally, right before the hour is up, he moves his claws in an intricate pattern, as he had learned, and calls out the arcane words that would draw upon his dragon blood and ward himself against harm. A few shimmering points of light appear around him and started spinning, and then a few more, until a torrent of light was spinning over him, bathing him in bright white. Quickly, the lights began to settle and grow dim, joining with the other points into a smooth, translucent layer, and finally vanished completely until there is only a slight shimmering in the air around the kobold to warn that anything is there. The spell is complete.

Cast Extended Mage Armor on myself. This lasts 12 hours.

Skorj
2009-09-15, 02:58 PM
Please see my dice/acton note (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6934211#post6934211) in the OOC thread.

Willie is visibly taken aback by Di'vai's display of power, but quickly recovers. "I guess you have all changed much while you were at the academy," he says, "but I have a task that I believe you would still be suited for if you are willing, Di'vai".

"The goblins looted the temple of Athena, but feared her wrath enough to avoid taking her statue from the altar." You all know this statue - a beautiful 3 foot golden sculpture, presumably a bronze casting plated heavily in gold, though you don't know its actual construction. "Her blessing is clearly with us, and I'd surely like to bring her image with us fas well or the entire village to give praise. We must show what devotion we can in these times."

"The church is an inferno, but as I remember it, you fear no flames." He chuckles. "Though perhaps this time we could avoid a repeat of that incident 10 years ago when you forgot that your clothes weren't fireproof."

RelentlessImp
2009-09-15, 03:14 PM
"You know the girls of the village absolutely loved it, Willie," Di'vai says with a grin. He picks his feline companion off of his shoulder and holds her out to Willie. "Look after Si-SoYa for me until I return, if you would. She's even less fireproof than my clothing." Placing the feline on the ground at Willie's feet, Di'vai glances at Tarric.

"Care to come along, my scaly friend? Unless Willie here has something for you to do, surely it'd be better than squatting in the mud while our more studious companions read their books. You're welcome to come along too, Moe, if you want," he says as an afterthought. "Fire loves company, or something along those lines."

PId6
2009-09-15, 04:21 PM
Tarric

"Sure, why not?" Tarric gives a reptilian shrug, "Don't mind if I stay far away from the flames though; these scales may look metallic, but they're certainly not heatproof!" The kobold gets up from his meditations and joins Di'vai, casting his protective spell as he goes.

I'll just cast Mage Armor now then. Not like 1 hour out of 12 will matter much.

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-09-15, 05:01 PM
Karumin is like many elf slender and tall. He has very long and thick hair. His eye are glowing red which gives people a shacky vibe. Though he is very welcoming and kind. He trys to help many people as he can. He wears a grey robe and hat with eight patches symbolizes that he finish school mastering all schools of magic.
As Karumin thought of being able to see his family and friends he was so happy. As he saw the town as it was he felt crushed. My goodness this is horrible. I have to prepare my spells sorry that I can't help.

Eldariel
2009-09-15, 05:55 PM
Arathion

Arathion is an Elven man young by Elven reckoning but old beyond years by any other count. Tall, slightly built and darkhaired, he is hardly dressed as an ordinary Wizard; indeed, in place of heavy robes, he wears clothes you'd expect from a villager with dark colours obviously chosen with ease of hiding in mind.

He radiates somewhat of an ethereal-feeling calm and like a typical elf, is more like to be amused than excited. He has a way with words and is quite adept at hiding his utter lack of physical strength, with occasional implementation of the wonderful Prestidigitation as necessary. While he tends to be forgetful and unaware of his surroundings, he is quite adept at compensating for his carelessness with his razorsharp mind always double checking everything and keeping a track of slight changes in the environment. Indeed, his carelessness is not really visible to anyone who hasn't known him for a long time.

"Not quite the homecoming I hoped for; though my trance has been troubled as of late. Have the local tribes previously shown unrest as of late? I cannot truly comprehend why they would attack; surely they know the village is capable of defending itself."
Knowledge at Gobs' possible reasons for raids - (1d20+6)[10](16) (Local)

"In any case, while I do believe I could be of some aid as of now, I will be many times more useful prepared. Allow me too a while to prepare for the ordeal to come and it will take more than some Goblins to trouble us."

Skorj
2009-09-15, 07:44 PM
A reminder to those not in traditional wizardly garb (Ennaruma and Arathion I think): your Academy backpack does identify you as arcanists, or at least as likely arcanists, to anyone who recognizes the Academy blazon, which is identifyable at some distance. Just something to keep in mind.

Local knowledge about the goblins:

Arathion knows that small-scale goblin raids in the borderlands are frequent, but while Stonedown village is close to the edge of civilation (map coming soon, I hope) it's protected by regular military patrols farther out. And from Willie's brief description, this was no raiding warband.

An organized army of goblins hasn't been seen since the wars 50 years ago, which led to the creation of Stonedown as a refugee camp. You know that Willie fought in that war, and so presumably has some basis for describing the goblins as part of a larger army.

Skorj
2009-09-15, 08:12 PM
"Thanks for the help," says Willie, nodding to Tarric and Di'vai. "Sarak! Go with these two and help them with any heavy lifting. And bring back about a hundred cobblestones of a good throwing weight while you're at it"

Sarak is a female half-orc (and "honorary lad" of Willie's stout lads), who certainly looks strong enough to be of some help. She leads Di'vai and Tarric towards the burning church, but does not approach too closely. "Ah ha!" she cires, spying a handcart that has had a wheel knocked off, but is otherwise undamaged. She begins to repair the cart.

PId6
2009-09-15, 08:57 PM
Tarric

Stepping to one side, Tarric swings one claw outward gracefully until it points to the church. "All yours, Vai," he offers, a small snake-like tongue flickering out as he speaks.

RelentlessImp
2009-09-15, 09:00 PM
Di'vai lays the haversack down in the cart that Sarak has gone to repair, reaching into it and pulling out a set of ornate clothing that is vaguely kingly in appearance; all dark violet and gold silks and satins, with an ornate circlet and a few ornate rings, laying them out in the handcart ready to replace the rather drab robe of the university that adorns him now.

"If you're scared of a little full frontal, Tarric, I suggest you not watch too closely. Sarak, you're free to watch if you want." The brash teen drops a wink at the half-orc woman before striding into the conflagration of the church, his robe almost immediately igniting. Pleasantly warmed by the fire, he makes a beeline for the statue.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-15, 09:01 PM
Ennaruma is, you know, still preparing spells. Unless an hour's passed already in which case she'll do something else, maybe.

PId6
2009-09-15, 09:13 PM
Tarric

Tarric gives a laugh that comes out as a hiss, "I assure you human, we scaledfolk laugh at your kind's foolish attempts at hiding your own bodies from each other. My kind all have far more advanced and efficient reproductive organs that we are assuredly not ashamed of."

Skorj
2009-09-15, 10:39 PM
At the church:

Sarak blushes, but busies herself fixing the cart. Once it seems stable she begins loading it with smaller and broken cobblestones. Perhaps another time she might have shown more interest, but ... not today. Her swift work reminds you of the urgency of your task.

Meanwhile, back with the wizards:

As the end of your preparations draws near, a male drow approaches from the fields, wearing something close to a cowboy hat and boots. He is attempting to lead two mules, but clearly he's not very good at this job, even as the light begins to fade. You haven't met this fellow, and dwellers of the underdark are rare even in multiracial Stonedown, but Willie is not alarmed.

"That Micarral," he mutters, clearly somewhat exasperated. "As hard as he tries I don't think he'll ever be good with animals."

"Hurry up! We'll lose the light!" He shouts to Micarrel.

Wizards, please note your spells online (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6937207#post6937207).

Skorj
2009-09-15, 11:11 PM
A few minutes pass and Micarral finally manages to bring the mules into your makeshift camp. In the past hour, several more villagers have straggled in from the farms, bringing the total to 15, plus Willie and his 5 "stout lads".

Willie begins hitching the wagon to the mules as the wizards finish their spell preparations. "I expect it will take us about 4 hours of travel to reach the Wyndmere ruins," he says. "With the nearly full moon the mules will be able to find their step, but 4 hours is long enough for trouble to find us. I know little of the tactics of wizardry; what order of march would best help you in case we're attacked?"

"I'll drive the wagon while the elders ride," he adds, giving Micarral a stern glance, "and the lads'll walk along on either side, unless you have a better plan. We should be able to hold off a few goblins briefly, if they have no magic of their own, but we'll need your help for sure if there's another large attack."

RelentlessImp
2009-09-15, 11:49 PM
Di'vai retrieves the statue, ignoring the burning robe that's falling from his body, and places it in the handcart. His flippant attitude is mostly gone for now; though he would have definitely jumped on it if the half-orc girl had shown interest. His nerves very much needed settling. This entire thing unnerved him, and being his usual, jocular self was all he could do to keep from despairing.

Once the statue is in place, he discards the burning robe and pulls on the royal outfit, tucking the long satin pants into a pair of high-rise boots and donning the circlet at a rakish angle before finally responding to Tarric, forcing himself to grin.

"I'd go around like that all day, every day if I could, my draconic friend. Possibly without fire dripping from my body. If nothing else, it'd make the world far prettier to look at if the fool who invented the idea of modesty had never been born. Ah, well," he says with a seemingly heartfelt sigh, picking up the EAA-emblazoned pack and slinging it over his shoulder. Staying away from the subject of reptilian genitalia - for his sanity, if nothing else.

"We ready to go here, Sarak?"

PId6
2009-09-16, 12:00 AM
Tarric

"Well my friend, perhaps you should come visit my kind once in a while. Maybe one day I can show you my clan-" he cuts off, as if abruptly remembering something, then shakes his little head violently. "N- never mind," he said finally, losing his old jocular tone and sounding far more grim, "We should get back." Ignoring all else, he begins to walk back hastily by himself, not care if the other two are following.

Skorj
2009-09-16, 12:16 AM
Reminder: I'll use the forum Quote mechanism to "retcon" actions that didn't happen the way you expected.

Di'vai retrieves the statue, ignoring the burning robe that's falling from his body, and places it in the handcart.

You attempt to lift the statue, but find that it's quite heavy. It must weigh a hundred pounds! It's no wonder the goblins didn't steal it. You could drag it across the floor, or stagger a short distance carrying it, but a few roof beams have fallen and require careful stepping over.

RelentlessImp
2009-09-16, 12:43 AM
"Damnit, damnit, damnit... hm. This is going to require some thought." Pondering the situation with fire dripping from him, his first thought is, of course, I should have worked out more.

"Hmmm... what if I..." With a shrug, he points a finger at the spot just beneath the statue, conjuring grease below and beyond it toward the door. Then he points his finger to the area where the grease ends, creating another patch of grease just beyond the first patch.

Di'vai casts grease at the poor, harmless floor.
Di'vai casts grease at the poor, harmless floor. Again.

Getting behind the statue, he attempts to shove it as hard as he can along the grease path he's conjured.

PId6
2009-09-16, 12:46 AM
Tarric

Tarric waits idly outside, glancing around and generally doing nothing, wondering what was taking Vai so long.

Skorj
2009-09-16, 12:55 AM
The statue of Athena starts moving at moderate speed, and knocks aside the first beam in its path, but the impact sends the statue off course and it slides diagonally off the side of the greased path. It comes to rest about 10 feet from the door, with a large beam still blocking it's way. Perhaps had it been a statue of Hermes it would have worked. :smallamused:

You hear a mighty crash, and a back corner of the church collapses, sending a furnace-like blast and a wave of sparks out of the front door. Sarak and Tarric are safe, but approaching closer than 50 feet to the church for more than a few seconds seems unwise.

PId6
2009-09-16, 12:59 AM
Tarric

Tarric gives a start when he sees the collapse, and unconsciously backs away a few steps as he does. He considers running inside, then shakes his head quickly at that stupid idea. "Are you okay in there?" he yells instead.

RelentlessImp
2009-09-16, 01:01 AM
"Damnit, Athena, can't you do anything right?" Di'vai's voice echoes out from the building. Walking out of the burning building with the robe all but gone, he waves to Tarric.

"Hey, Tarric! Blast a hole in the side of the building! Maybe I can get it out that way now that it's kinda close!"

PId6
2009-09-16, 01:08 AM
Tarric

Tarric looks relieved that Vai was fine, and gives a toothy grin when he hears Vai's request. "That, I can do. Stand back!" he warns, and takes position by the side of the building. He points a claw at the wall and traces the shape of a bolt of lightning in the air with one finger, shouting an arcane word in the process. Suddenly, a bright blue lance of light shoots out of his claw at the wall, smashing into the wood with an explosive "Boom!"

Tarric casts Lightning Bolt at wall.

Skorj
2009-09-16, 01:22 AM
You have a clear line of sight now from where you stand to the statue, which is only about ten feet inside the building, and Athena thus far appears unaffected by the mayhem. The building doesn't seem to be collapsing any faster than before.

RelentlessImp
2009-09-16, 01:29 AM
"Aha! I knew there had to be a proper application of force that could solve this problem! I mean... yeah. That was my plan all along. Ahem."

With that, Di'vai proceeds to push the statue out of the building and toward the cart. Slowly, and with great vigor. Or, at least, beyond the point where the effects of the flames wouldn't hurt his easily combustible friends.

"Nice work with the lightning bolt," he compliments Tarric, proceeding to the cart to dress himself. "Sarak, beautiful, would you be a dear and get that heavy statue? I think I've pushed it as far as my noodly arms will allow."

Skorj
2009-09-16, 01:43 AM
Sarak gives you a hard look at the "beautiful" comment, but apparently decides you weren't being sarcastic and so deserve to live. She runs into the nearest building she can find that's not on fire, and returns with a blanket, and a bucket half full of what you hope is water. Dousing the blanket with the water, she carefully wraps the statue with it, avoiding the explosion of steam this causes.

She dons a thick pair of gloves, and daintily lifts the wrapped statue and sets it gently on the pile of small cobblestones already in the cart. The handcart creaks mightily under the several hundred pounds it now carries. Sarak begins pushing it easily back towards the group of wizards and villagers.

Jalor
2009-09-16, 05:03 AM
A reptilian man, taller and more humanoid than Tarric, stepped out of the circle. His gray robes looked wrinkled and disheveled, but without a speck of dirt on them. He surveyed the damage and snarled, flames flickering from his nostrils and mouth as he did so. Without a word, he sat down and pulled a spelbook from his official, licensed Academy pack. He breathes heavily while preparing his spells, and occasionally a bit of electricity leaps from his jaws as he does so.

Skorj
2009-09-16, 11:53 AM
"With Athena accompanying us on this trip, we are sure to make it safely." Willie finishes hitching the wagon to the mule team, and goes about loading the statue and cobblestones on the wagon and helping the less able villagers abord.

"Will you cast any spells before we head out?" Willie asks.

OK folks, I need to know your order of march relative to the wagon. In a group in front? As a circle around it? Also, any long-running spells, or instructions to the NPCs in case of attack? Willie estimated this as a four hour trip.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-16, 12:07 PM
Ennaruma stands up, dusting herself off and shuddering a little bit. She puts her spellbook neatly in her bag, then wanders on over to the wagon. She naturally gravitates to around the front of the wagon, so she can see past it and know if there's something up ahead she might need to deal with!

[OOC: Prepared spells are in my character post in the OOC thread. Of course. No long-duration buffs for me - none of them last long enough to be useful!]

RelentlessImp
2009-09-16, 12:35 PM
"Nope, I'm fine, thanks to Tarric's timely lightning bolt. I will need to sit up here with you, though, if you want some scouting done." Di'vai climbs up onto the wagon next to Willie, closing his eyes and summoning the raven to his shoulder once more. His fancy feline companion, Si-SoYa, hops into his lap, nestles down and takes a nap.

Closing his eyes and focusing to see through the raven's eyes, he sends it out to scout ahead of the wagon, keeping a bird's-eye view over them all.

Stabby
2009-09-16, 12:43 PM
Moe unfolds himself from the cross-legged position he was in as he pored over his spellbook. With a gesture and some murmuring, coupled with a small object from the pouches that were his only garment, a shimmer of light gleams into being around him.

Moe Dron cast Mage Armor on himself

"I shall walk as I do not tire." Moe walks up to one of the wagons of refugees near the front of the line. "I will walk here, unless you all have any objections?" Without waiting to see if there were any objections, he turns to face the front of the line and stands, still as a statue.

PId6
2009-09-16, 12:45 PM
Tarric

Due to his short stature and slow speed, Tarric decides to ride in the wagon alongside Vai so as not to slow the procession down. Now that the excitement of the statue has worn down, he reflects again over the village's losses today and starts to meditate once more.

Eldariel
2009-09-16, 02:18 PM
Arathion

Arathion casts Mage Armor on self.

"Given I have a knack for seeing and staying out of sight, it may be more beneficial for us if I move on foot a outside the main group for advance warning. I will Send you a warning if I encounter anything threatening."

Once the trip is joined, Arathion will stay ~100' ahead of the main group keeping a watch and hiding in dusk or vegetation where appropriate (not slowing down and taking appropriate penalties though). He will use Sending at whomever is at the head of the group if he notices anything troublesome.

olentu
2009-09-16, 03:05 PM
Randorf Markov stands and puts his spellbook away. Taking a small strip of leather from his pouch he whips his arm in a quick gesture and snaps out a few syllables in a strong voice. His cloak starts to flap differently as if there was something in the way.

Randorf Markov casts Mage Armor on Randorf Markov

Randorf then says "Well then I shall join the rest of you" and walks to the front of the group with the rest of the party.

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-09-16, 05:05 PM
Karumin but his spell book into the backpack.

Karumin cast Mage Armor.

Karumin goes to the back to make sure no attacks from behind. Wait up I'm coming.

Jalor
2009-09-16, 05:17 PM
Raenith stands and snaps his spellbook shut, slipping it into his backpack and pulling out a smaller pouch. He pulls something out and makes a quick, complex gesture, mumbling as he does so.

Raenith casts Extended Mage Armor on himself.

"I'll be walking up front. Aristotle, circle us and let me know if you see anything."

A large, regal-looking gray owl flies past him, seeming to nod as it banks up sharply and takes watch.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-16, 06:36 PM
The sight of a tiny gnome, desperately trying to catch up, appears behind the party. "Wait for me, guys!", Ohara pants as he approaches, hoping to snag a ride aboard a wagon.

Skorj
2009-09-16, 11:03 PM
As the last of the PC stragglers arrive ...

As the last of the village stragglers are helped aboard the wagon, Willie sets out. A few of the more able villagers, armed with clubs, walk behind the wagon. Willie's stout lads, armed with swords, walk alongside and behind. Most of the party marches ahead of the wagon, in a protective arc, with Arathion scouting ahead.

Two hours pass without incident, as the party and villagers make steady progress northward. The sun has set and a nearly-full moon risen when the distant sounds of battle are heard. While there is no immediate threat, it sems likely that the goblins are still active in the borderlands, and did not retreat to the plains after a quick raid as they usually would.

The party marches on with a renewed alertness.

Skorj
2009-09-16, 11:44 PM
About five minutes after the first hints that there might be goblins in the area, Raenith's Aristotle Spots a few goblins in the woods to the west, marching in a skirmish line, just as they start to break cover to attack. At the same time, both Arathion and Randorf hear the same group of goblins just as they launch their ambush. Given how quietly a goblin can move through the woods, you're sure there are far more than the party has yet seen. The battle is on!

Only Raenith, Arathion, and Randorf are aware of the goblins at this point, so only they should roll initiative. The remainer of the party is surprised, and can't act until round 2. Only Raenith knows the location of specific goblins at the start of round 1. The rest of the goblins will likely be spotted as soon as they move or attack.

Raenith, Arathion, and Randorf: roll initiative!

The goblins rolled a natural 20 (and yell at the DM for wasting the good rolls), for a 21 init. If any of you beat a 21, all 3 of you should act now.

Map at end of round 0. (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/AA02_B0.jpg)

olentu
2009-09-17, 12:10 AM
Randorf Markov rolls initiative (1d20+2)[5]

Eldariel
2009-09-17, 01:59 AM
Arathion's Initiative - (1d20+3)[9]

Jalor
2009-09-17, 04:52 AM
Raenith rolls initiative (1d20+3)[5]

"Goblins! Goblins in the left treeline!"

Skorj
2009-09-17, 11:27 AM
OK, the gobbies have initiative for this battle.

Round 1 (surprise round): goblin side

You hear a goblic cleric cast Bless to the west as the first line of goblins moves in, though the cleric remains hidden for the moment. A second line of goblins becomes visible as they throw a volley of javelins at Moe, Randorf, Ennaruma, and Arathion. There's a resounding "thwock" as one javelin accidentally hits a tree (or maybe that goblin just hates trees).

Ennaruma is hit by a javelin for 3 damage.
Arathion is hit by a javelin for 1 damage.

At the same time, you become aware of a second group of goblins -- a caster and 5 others -- far to the south and west, in the edge of the treeline, as the second goblin cleric also casts Bless. The remaining 5 goblins are armed with heavy crossbows and fire a volley concentrated on Moe.

Moe is hit by a 2 crossbow bolts for 8 damage(total).

You now understand something Willie said before: the organization of this attack is far beyond normal goblin raiders.

Map at end of goblin actions (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/AA02_B1.jpg)

OOC notes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6946494#post6946494)

Eldariel
2009-09-17, 01:18 PM
"Goblins!", Arathion yells as the spear flies and grazes his shoulder. With that he conjures a Web to cut the topmost attackers from the fight and turns to meet up with the rest of the group for more efficient defense.

Arathion casts Web anchored to L17-9 in ground and in the opposing treeline as appropriate <Reflex DC 17>

Stats:
Spot: +14
Listen: +1

HP: 23/24
AC: 17
Speed: 30'
No concealment
Spells:
0. Acid Splash, Prestidigitation, Sending, Sending, Sending
1. Grease, Color Spray, Sleep, Obscuring Mist, Mage Armor
2. Glitterdust, Glitterdust, Web

Armed with Longbow, +5 to hit, 1d8-3 damage.

olentu
2009-09-17, 04:52 PM
Randorf draws a tiny bag and his favorite candle while he speaks a few mystic phrases. Then he makes a slight throwing motion with his fist.

Randorf Markov casts Summon Monster II summoning a Celestial giant bombardier beetle at (J,23)

Celestial giant bombardier beetle uses Acid Spray on Goblin07, damage is (1d4+2)[4] <Fort DC 15> and Goblin08, damage is (1d4+2)[6] <Fort DC 15>

Stats:

Randorf Markov
AC: 16
HP: 22/22
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Active effects: Mage Armor
Spells:
0th: Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Acid Splash, Acid Splash, Acid Splash
1st: Mage Armor, Expeditious Retreat, Grease, Summon Monster I, Summon Monster I, Summon Monster I
2nd: Protection from Arrows, Glitterdust, Summon Monster II, Summon Monster II, Summon Monster II

Celestial giant bombardier beetle
HP: 19/19

Stabby
2009-09-17, 06:13 PM
As he is shot at and hit, Moe's eyes flash a baleful green as his eyes focus on one of his attackers. The goblin looks taken aback in terror.

Immediate Action: Baleful Stare. Will vs DC 17. If fails save -2 to AC & Saving Throws. Target Goblin in D19

HP 17
AC 16 (flatfooted)

Spells:
0: Detect Magic, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mage Hand
1: Ray of Enfeeblement x3, Mage Armor, Mage Armor, Cause Fear
2: Blindness/Deafness x2, Command Undead, Scare x2

Jalor
2009-09-17, 06:55 PM
Raenith rushes forward, staying close to the wagon while putting a mule between himself and the goblin line.

Move to U23.

HP: 26/26
Cover? He's behind a mule.
Spells:
0. 3x Mending, 2x Detect Magic, Read Magic
1. 4x Grease, 2x Enlarge Person, Expeditious Retreat
2. 2x Levitate, Alter Self, Shatter

Skorj
2009-09-17, 07:21 PM
Round 1 (surprise round): end of round

Four goblins are caught by the web, and only one manages to avoid being stuck to it.

"Aiiiyeeeee" screams a goblin as the suddenly appearing beetle blasts him with a nearly fatal burst of acid. His companion is simply goo.

Map at end of round. (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/AA02_B1e.jpg)

Tyndmyr
2009-09-17, 08:14 PM
Ohara rolls init for round 2: [roll0]

Skorj
2009-09-17, 09:34 PM
Ohara rolls init for round 2: [roll0]

Since we're doing "side" init, if you're surprised on the first round, you won't need to roll for the encounter. Once you finally get to act, you simply act on your team's side. Your personal init really only matter's on the first round (to determine whether you act while enemies are still flatfooted), unless it's the highest on your side. :smallsmile:

Tyndmyr
2009-09-17, 10:59 PM
OOC: Ah, gotcha, that makes things much better then.

Ohara casts sleep on J31(Will DC 15), hitting goblins 9 and 10, then moves to V17, glancing around warily for more.

Skorj
2009-09-17, 11:06 PM
OOC: Ah, gotcha, that makes things much better then.

Ohara casts sleep on J31(Will DC 15), hitting goblins 9 and 10, then moves to V17, glancing around warily for more.

Also, it's not your action yet, since you were surprised. Wait 1 post for the gobbies to go on round 2, then you're up.

Skorj
2009-09-17, 11:22 PM
Round 2: goblins

Bah, the goblins blew their surprise round with 0 PC deaths (and your average goblin can count to 0!). Perhaps they'll do better this round.

Willie screams a mighty battle cry, cut off by the Silence spell that fall over much of the party.

Goblins to the SW: Goblin Leader 4 and Goblin Archers 1-4 reload.
Goblin Cleric 2 casts Silence
All PCs except Moe and Arathion are Silenced.

Goblin Infantry:

Goblin 01 strugges toawrds the edge of the Web.
Goblins 02, 03, and 04 struggle to break free of the web, seeming more fearful of somehting behind them than of the party.
Goblin 03 manages to tear itself loose.
Goblins 05 and 06 move to threaten Randorf.
Goblin 05 attacks Randorf with his morning star and misses.
Goblin 06 attacks with his long spear, and rolls a 20 but does not confirm, hitting Randorf for 3 damage.
Goblin 07 attacks the beetle in a rage, to no effect.
Goblins 13 and 14 move more carefully to threaten the beetle, but both miss.
Goblin Leader 1 runs full speed to approach and threaten Ohara. GL1 waves his dual bastard swords menacingly, but lacks the action to attack.
Goblin 12 runs into position to threaten both Ohara and Karumin
Goblin Leader 2 and Goblin 11 run forward to threaten Ennaruma, but also cannot attack
Goblin 09 charges Moe, attacking with his morningstar and missing.
Goblin 10 charges Moe, attacking with his long spear and missing.
Goblin Leader 3 runs full speed to threaten Sarak.
Goblin 15 runs full speed to threaten Di'vai (and several villagers) with his long spear.

New Goblins attacking and no longer hiding: Goblin Leader 5 fires a bolt at Randorf from his repeating crossbow, and rolls a 20 but does not confirm, hitting Randorf for 4 damage,
The bolt sticking into Randorf seemingly has Light cast on it, for no apparent effect.
Goblin Archer 5 and 6 fire heavy crossbows at Arathion, and one bolt hits Arathion for 5 damage.
Goblin Archer 7 fires his heavy crossbow at the beetle, but misses.
Goblin Archers 8 and 9 fire heavy crossbows at Di'vai, and one bolt hits Di'vai for 7 damage (ouch!)

You hear a spell being cast, and a flame as bright as a torch appears somewhere near where Goblin Caster 1 is marked, but he still has total cover.

Will Di'vai regret dumping DEX before the day is done? Tune in next round!

All PCs should now act. Everyone has stopped being flatfooted (even Moe). Villagers will go after the party. :smallbiggrin:

Map Here (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/AA02_B2m.jpg)
Current stats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6950687#post6950687)

PId6
2009-09-18, 01:59 AM
Tarric

Utterly surprised by the attack, Tarric finally manages to climb to his feet and react to the goblins, right before finding himself inside an area of Silence. Imagining the goblin spellcaster's smile of triumph, Tarric smiles in return and leaps to the sky. Immediately, he starts to ascend, his arms transforming into wings while his scales turned a shinier hue of copper. His face turns even more draconic, while his clothing merged into his body in his new form. Giving a silent hiss as a laugh, he spreads his new wings and begins to fly, taking to the air with glee.

Tarric uses Alter Self SLA to transform into Copper Dragon Wyrmling.
Move to P29 at a height of 50 ft above the ground.

Stats:
HP: 17/17
AC: 23 (T 15, FF 20)
Speed: fly 100 ft (average)
No concealment

Jalor
2009-09-18, 04:56 AM
Raenith darts around the mules to get into position before opening up his mouth. A gout of sticky acid issues forth in the general direction of two goblins.

Move to Q23.
Breath Weapon on G15 and GL3, using Entangling Exhalation, Reflex DC 15 half. (1d8)[6] acid damage to G15, (1d8)[1] acid damage to GL3. Any damaged creature is entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled) for (1d4)[2] rounds. Recharge in (1d4)[3] rounds.

HP: 26/26
Totally out in the open.
Silenced.
Spells:
1. 4x Grease, 2x Enlarge Person, Expeditious Retreat

olentu
2009-09-18, 05:54 AM
Randorf Markov conceals bolt with clothing

Randorf Markov withdraws to (Q,23)(R,23)(S,22)(T,22)(U,23)(U,27)

Celestial giant bombardier beetle takes a 5 foot step to (J,22)

Celestial giant bombardier beetle uses Acid Spray on Goblin13, damage is (1d4+2)[5] <Fort DC 15> and Goblin14, damage is (1d4+2)[3] <Fort DC 15>

Stats:

Randorf Markov
HP: 15/22
Spells:
0th: Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Acid Splash, Acid Splash, Acid Splash
1st: Mage Armor, Expeditious Retreat, Grease, Summon Monster I, Summon Monster I, Summon Monster I
2nd: Protection from Arrows, Glitterdust, Summon Monster II, Summon Monster II, Summon Monster II

Stabby
2009-09-18, 06:40 AM
Moe turns his attention to the two goblins immediately threatening him. He swiftly takes a step back while grabbing a small bone from the pouch around his neck. Making a quick gesture in the air, he lets loose a vicious hiss and mouths "Run!", the triggering command to his spell. Once again, his eyes glow a lurid green.

Moe casts Scare on G09 and G10. Will Save vs DC 18

HP: 17

Spells:
0:Detect Magic x2, Read Magic, Mage Hand
1: Ray of Enfeeblement x3, Mage Armor, Cause Fear x2
2: Blindness/Deafness x2, Command Undead, Scare

RelentlessImp
2009-09-18, 07:24 AM
Di'vai, having been expecting the goblins weren't quite out of the area, silently curses the raven for its poor senses. Practically helpless in the field of silence, he stares at the goblin with its longspear, wishing he'd learned to cast spells silently. Gathering his feline companion in one arm, he slides past Willie and Tarric and runs for the edge of the Silence effect.

Di'vai takes a move action to reach Y-24.

Once outside the range of the silence spell, he raises his hands and chants an incantation, pointing toward the clump of goblins nearest to the wagon, throwing ground mica toward the goblins.

Di'vai makes a Caster Level Check - (1d20+2)[5](7) vs DC 8

"Oh... damnit." he swears as the pain from the crossbow bolt wound flares and disrupts his concentration.

HP: 7/14
AC: 9

Spell Slots: 0th 0/6, 1st 2/7, 2nd 1/3

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-18, 11:38 AM
Ennaruma

Ennaruma yelps in surprise as the goblins ambush them! Damn her slow reaction speed! As the goblins approach her and silence falls around her, she grimaces, and flicks both her hands up. Moving her hands as if weaving string, while dodging defensively so she won't get smacked as she casts, Ennaruma lets loose a multicoloured, scintillating lightshow to distract those goblins!

Ennaruma casts Hypnotic Pattern defensively at the intersection between P18, P19, Q18 and Q19 (Concentration, DC 17): (1d20+10)[28]

Affecting (2d4)[7] HD of targets, starting from the center and working outwards.

Ennaruma tries to resist her own spell because she sucks at aiming (Will, +2 bonus against Illusion spells, DC 18): (1d20+9)[24] (Rolling just in case she has 4 HD left over after fascinating the two goblins that are closer)

She then moves away, towards Moe to get out of this stupid Silence.

Move action to R24, or a 5-foot step south if either of the gobs aren't fascinated.

HP: 23/26
AC: 13, touch 13

Prepared spells: (6/6/5)
0: Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Read Magic, Silent Image, Silent Image
1: Colour Spray, Colour Spray, Comprehend Languages, Disguise Self, Feather Fall, Grease
2: Blur, Hypnotic Pattern, Invisibility, Major Image, Mirror Image

Skorj
2009-09-18, 04:50 PM
The round so far.

The goblins near Tarric are unnerved by his transformaiton, but when he ends up smaller than they are, they return to trying to stab things.

As Raenith moves past the front of the mules, Goblin Leader 2 snaps out his spiked chain to the limit of its reach, and hits Raenith for 4 damage.

Goblin Leader 3 and Goblin 15 dodge the worst of the acid blast, but are nevertheless burned and entangled.

Randorf Markov also underestimates the reach of Goblin Leader 2's spiked chain, and he snaps it out again in attack, but Randorf's mage armor deflects the blow harmlessly. He hears the sounds of battle return as he completes his movement.

Don't you hate monsters with class levels?

The Killer Beetle sprays acid on Goblin 13, but fails to find exposed skin, and Goblin 14, who's no so lucky.

Goblins 9 and 10 attempt to kill Moe before he can castm but the spear misses and the morningstar bounces harmlessly off a stong point in Moe's construction.

Goblins 9 and 10 scream in terror, as all the natural fears of goblinkind are magnified manyfold, and turn to run.

As Di'vai moves to saftey, Goblin 15, angered by the pain of the acid, stabs Di'vai for 3 damage.

Di'vai exits the area of silence, and fails to cast glitterdust, to the relief of his enemies: 4 goblins and Moe.

Goblin Leader 2 and Goblin 11 stare at the pretty colors, too fascinated to notice the missed opportunity for gnome-kabob.

Ennarunna safely retreats to the Wagon, but ends her move threatened by Goblin 15. Also, she still hasn't escaped the stupid silence.

Map as of this point in the round (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/AA02_B2p2.jpg)

Still to act: Arathion
Karumin
Ohara
Villagers

Tyndmyr
2009-09-19, 09:29 AM
OOC: ah, normal init surprise, shared for regular, got it.

Ohara moves to v18, provoking an attack of opportunity from GL1, no doubt(Ohara is AC14, HP22).
Reactive concentration check if needed: [roll0]

As he moves out of the range of the silence, a string of gnomish cursing suddenly becomes audible from his lips. Ohara turns and blasts GL1 and G12 with Color Spray(Will Sv, DC 15).

Rolling effects for if they fail:
1-2HD: [roll1] rounds of unconciousness, [roll2] rounds of blindness, 1 round of stunned.
3-4HD: [roll3] rounds of blindness, 1 round of stunned.
Other: 1 round of stunned.

Skorj
2009-09-19, 10:17 PM
As Ohara moves away from the goblins near him, they attack.

Goblin Leader 1 delivers a nasty blow with one of his bastard swords, hitting Ohara for 8 damage, and then looks at his other sword as if expecting it to be useful somehow.

Goblin 12 thrusts with his long spear, critically hitting Ohara for 6 damage.

Ohara responds with the power of rainbows! Goblin 12 ignores the safety warning and stares directly into the beam, falling unconscious. Goblin Leader 1 avoids the same fate only by dint of his iron will.

The mules panic.

Willie manages to get them under cotnrol and stopped before the wagon has a chance to overturn. He readies a loaded heavy crossbow.

Sarak moves to the far side of Goblin 15, and then slays him with a single mighty stroke of her greatsword!

Tom, John, and James, of Willie's stout lads, move to surround Goblin Leader 3 and atack, managing 2 hits for 13 damage total.

Goblin Leader 3 strikes at Tom as the opportunity presents itself, hitting Tom for 12 damage. Tom barely survives, and will hopefully remember his drills on proper maneuves in battle next time.

The villagers with clubs surround Goblin Leader 3 as well, striking him for an additional 6 points of damage.

The 11 elderly villagers in the wagon deliver a fusilade of cobblestones to Goblon Leader 3, and thanks to his difficulty in dodging due to being entangeled, land enough hits to finish him off. Goblin Leader 3 drops dead.

Micarrel charges Goblin Leader 1, his scream of "Yippie ki yay, moth..." cuts off abruptly as he enters the Silence. (Presumably some Drow battlecry.) He hits the goblin with his short sword for 7 damage.

Map after villagers act. (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/AA02_B2p3.jpg)

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-09-19, 11:55 PM
Karumin takes a 5 ft step to X23 and cast scorching ray on GL1
[OOC] Sorry guys I had to work.
Karumin cast scorching ray at GL1. Ranged touch (1d20+5)[17]
Damage (4d6)[18]

HP 18
AC16 Touch12 FF13
spells
0-prepared all of them so I can only cast them once
1-prepared all of them so I can only cast them once Mage Armor
2-leviate,false life,daze monster,see invisibilty,gust of winds,see invisibilty,resist energy,scorching ray,rope trick,bear's endurance,acid arrows,Alter self,Protection from arrows,glitterdust,web,invisibilty,Command undead,Mirror Image,Hypnotic Pattern,Minor image,knock,shatter,fog cloud,Fox cunning,Spider Climbing,Cat's Grace

Skorj
2009-09-20, 12:37 AM
Bah, work. :smallbiggrin: But please copypaste your dice roll results into your post for actions. I'll get these.

Karumin cast scorching ray at GL1. Ranged touch (1d20+5)[17]
Damage (4d6)[18]

Arathion?

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-09-20, 12:56 AM
Is it dead?

Eldariel
2009-09-20, 04:51 AM
Arathion was going to use a Mist to protect the group from the top groups of archers, but with the way the fight is going, he instead draws an Alchemist's Fire while moving and throws it to dwindle the opponents' ranks a bit instead.

Arathion moves to O15, draws Alchemist's Fire during movement (movement possible due to Abrupt Jaunt)
Arathion attempts Ranged Touch at Goblin 6 - (1d20+1)[20] for Fire - (1d6)[5] (two increments accounted for; splash to all adjacent)

Stats:
Spot: +14

HP: 18/24
No concealment

Spells:

Armed with Longbow, +6 to hit, 1d8-3 damage.

Skorj
2009-09-20, 05:40 AM
Karumin also attacks Goblin Leader 1, killing him with an intense scorching ray.

Arathion disdains the use of magic on these foes, and kills Goblin 06 with a Molotov cocktail, burning Goblin 05 in the process.

End of round stats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6963171#post6963171)

End of round map (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/AA02_B2e.jpg)

Skorj
2009-09-20, 03:53 PM
Round 3: Goblin's actions

Goblins 9 and 10 run screaming back into the woods.

Goblin Caster 1 shouts ”[Goblin] Get that dragon!” and begins casting a spell.

Goblin Caster 2 begins casting a spell.

Goblin Leader 5 is highlighted briefly as he loads the next Light-enspelled bolt into his repeating crossbow, then fires it in a shining arc at Tarric, missing, and flying off into the night. The action is very visible at a distance.

Goblin Leader 4 and Goblin Archers 1-4 apparently take this as a sign, and focus their fire on Tarric. He presents a difficult target at that range, but one bolt strikes true, hitting Tarric for 3 damage.

Goblin Archers 5-9 reload.

Goblin 1 struggles free of the web.
Goblin 3 slogs towards the edge of the effect.
Goblins 2 and 4 remain stuck.

Goblin Leader 2 moves to a position that threatens Moe, Raenith, and Ennaruma and attacks with his spiked chain, hitting Ennaruna for 5 damage.

Goblin 11 moves to attack Raenith with his morningstar, hitting Raenith for 3 damage.

Goblin 05 moves to attack Moe with his morningstar, but misses – if only that centipede had gotten here earlier to provide a flanking bonus. :smallsmile:

Goblin 07 moves to pile on Moe, but misses with his Morningstar.

Goblins 13 and 14 continue to attack the killer beetle, but to no effect.

Updated Map after goblin actions. (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/AA02_B3m2.jpg)

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-20, 04:29 PM
Ennaruma barely even reacts as she's hit with that chain, and keeps moving away from the Silence spell, leaving herself completely open to attack!

Move to S28.

Ignoring the obvious pain she's in, Ennarum clenches her hands together for a moment, before closing her eyes... She then opens them again, and thrusts her hands upwards, weaving magic between her fingers. "[Gnome] Light. Heat. Scent. Sound." She pronounces the four words methodically, sort of chanting them...

She then thrusts her hands upwards. "Come forth!" Definite over-acting there. Behind her, a massive portal opens up in the air, ripping the air as if someone took a pair of shears to it and cut a hole in it. The hole is circled with purple, crackling energy. For a moment, it just sits there - and then, a large, reptilian head pushes through, followed by a foot. The gold dragon squeezes out of the portal - which is just barely big enough for it - and lets out a thunderous roar!

Casting major image to create the illusion of a Huge gold dragon being gated in. Around square S29 (although obviously taking up much more space than that) if it means anything. DC to disbelieve is 18 - and remember, even if someone saves and tells others it's not real, no one gets the +4 to their saves.

HP: 18/26

1: Colour Spray, Colour Spray, Comprehend Languages, Disguise Self, Feather Fall, Grease

PId6
2009-09-20, 04:34 PM
Tarric

Flying nimbly through the air, Tarric effortlessly dodges the arrows fired at him, taking only a grazing hit on the side. Laughing at the sheer joy of flight, he swoops down into the trees at some archers below and unleashes a thunderous lightning bolt from his copper claws, lancing the energy through the pesky creatures that dare attack him and his friends.

Tarric flies to C28 on level with the ground.
Tarric casts Lightning Bolt at the goblins, hitting GL5 and GA5-9 for (6d6)[18] damage (Reflex DC 17 for half).

Stats:
HP: 14/17
AC: 23 (T 15, FF 20)
Speed: fly 100 ft (average)
Concealment from trees.

Eldariel
2009-09-20, 05:21 PM
Arathion

Seeing an opening, Arathion yells "Moe, move back!" and launches a spray of scintillating colors at the conveniently grouped team of three Goblins.

Move to O21.
Color Spray at the trio of Goblins (after Moe has taken his action) <Will DC 16 Negates>: Defensive Cast Concentration for Color Spray - (1d20+10)[20]

1-2 HD Unconscious Duration - (2d4)[6]
3-4 HD Stun Duration - (1d4)[2]

Finally, Arathion yells "Randorf or anyone on that side, could you deal with the southern archers, please?" and adds with a smirk, seeing Ennamura's "Gate": "The Dragon might just do!"

Stats:
Spot: +13

No concealment

Spells:

Abrupt Jaunt: 4/5

RelentlessImp
2009-09-20, 06:23 PM
With his lifeblood leaking out and pain bursting through his body, Di'vai takes a long, hard look over the battlefield. Taking a long walk to the south, he turns on the spot and withdraws another bit of ground mica, hurling it toward the treeline in the direction of the chanting.

Di'vai takes a move action to move to Y-30.
Di'vai makes a Caster Level Check - (1d20+2)[6](8)
Di'vai casts Glitterdust at GC1, square A-30. (Will Save DC 18 to negate Blindness)

olentu
2009-09-20, 08:00 PM
Worried about the barrage of arrows Randorf looks to his defense while he considers how he might change his tactics in response to what is cast.

Randorf Markov uses the total defense action

Celestial giant bombardier beetle uses Acid Spray on Goblin13, damage is (1d4+2)[6] <Fort DC 15> and Goblin14, damage is (1d4+2)[3] <Fort DC 15>

Stats:

Randorf Markov
AC: 20
HP: 15/22
Spells:

Skorj
2009-09-20, 08:14 PM
Round 3 thus far

Ennaruma’s tactic of “if I can’t see the chain, it can’t see me” works, as Goblin Leader 2 misses his attack. Ennaruma’s illusion of an incoming huge dragon is quite convincing, and sends the battlefield into a panic.

Tarric sends a lightning bolt sizzling up the row of goblin archers. Gbolin Archers 5, 6, 8, and 9 explode! Goblin Archer 7 was luckily not in the line of the bolt, his concealment foiling Tarric’s aim. Goblin Leader 5 nimbly dodges, but one can only dodge a lightning bolt so much.

Arathion’s Color Spray drops Goblins 5 and 7 in their tracks. Goblin Leader 2’s luck is with him, and he seems unaffected.

Di’vai’s Glitterdust spell highlights Goblin Caster 1 (who actually was in square A-30), but fails to blind him. The Glitterdust also outlines an invisible small-sized humanoid 10’ behind the goblin (off the map)!

Current map. (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/AA02_B3p1.jpg)

Tyndmyr
2009-09-20, 08:47 PM
Ohara does a double-take upon seeing a massive dragon suddenly appear, but is relieved to see it not hitting the wagon. He steps over to peer at the fallen goblin(moves to V20), then, distantly seeing something invisible appear thanks to a well-placed glitterdust, looses a magic missile at it.(Firing at invisibile humanoid. If he has complete concealment from me, feel free to swap the missiles to the most dangerous thing I can see)

Dmg: [roll0]

Stabby
2009-09-21, 08:04 AM
Moe, hearing Arathion's shouted command, times a quick backstep action in a brief pause in the action and waits for an opportunity.

Moe takes a 5 foot step to O26

Immediately a wall of rainbow colors dance in front of Moe's vision, so close he could reach out and touch them. However his magical training reminds him why he shouldn't.

Seeing the Goblin wielding the chain is still standing, Moe passes his hands through a couple mystic passes all the while watching his opponent carefully in case he tries to counter attack.

Moe makes a caster check to cast defensively (1d20+10)[18] vs a DC of 18

Finishing his spell, Moe murmurs the final triggering word, "Fraility!" A ray of sickly green light lances from his hand at the chain wielding goblin.

Moe casts Ray of Enfeeblement at GL2 at P23

Ranged touch attack (1d20+3)[23]

Str penalty if it hits (1d6+2)[3]

HP 17
AC 17
Spells
0: Read Magic, Detect Magic x2, Mage Hand
1: Ray of Enfeeblement x2, Mage Armor, Cause Fear x2
2: Blindness/Deafness x2, Command Undead, Scare

Jalor
2009-09-21, 04:56 PM
Seeing an opportunity, Raenith darts away from the weakened goblin leader to try and escape the Silence. He's muttering a spell the moment he leaves the spell, and Sarak grows to about 10 feet at its completion.

Move to O20, provoking AoOs from GL2 and G11.

Cast Enlarge Person on W2.

HP: 19/26
Totally out in the open.
Spells:
1. 4x Grease, Enlarge Person, Expeditious Retreat

Skorj
2009-09-21, 08:10 PM
Round 3, continued:

Killer Beetle Blasts goblins 13 and 14. Goblin 13 dies screaming, but goblin 14 manages to avoid getting burned.

Ohara looses 2 magic missiles at the mysterious humanoid, but they are absorbed by a shield spell or item.

Goblin Leader 3 sags as Moe’s enfeebling ray strikes true. Meanwhile Sarak grows under Raenith’s spell to an impressive 12 feet of angry half-orc, knocking Moe out of the way as she grows. Both goblins near Raenith miss their strikes at his retreating form.

Still to move: Karumin
Villagers

Skorj
2009-09-22, 02:22 AM
Round 3: villagers

The mules know a huge flying predator when they see, smell, and hear one. They nearly bolt out of their own skins to escape the mule-munching marauder! The wagon jolts forward, knocking Willie back over the bench. Willie drops his loaded and cocked heavy crossbow, and the bolt whizzes past Goblin 11, Arathion, and the Killer Beetle before vanishing into the forest.

The wagon moves up the road at high speed, bouncing madly. Old Mary is thrown free of the wagon, and lands with a sickening “crack”, breaking her leg badly. The villagers with clubs run just as fast as the mules (not having to pull a wagon), and one scoops up Old Mary as he reaches her.

Tom, John, and James (W4-6) follow in a more orderly fashion, forming a rearguard for the wagon.

Sarak attacks Goblin Leader 2 with her (very) greatsword, but unused to her new size she moves a bit too slowly, and the goblin evades the crashing blw at the last instant.

Micarral charges Goblin 11, but to his great frustration he misses.

Current map (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/AA02_B3p2.jpg)

I'll give Karumin some time to act this round, as I won't have the goblins actions ready until tomorrow.

Skorj
2009-09-22, 02:56 PM
Round 4: goblin actions

(I'll try to fit Karumin's action's in round 3 in, if I can.)

The mysterious figure Dispels the Glitterdust and vanishes.

Goblin Caster 1 loses concentration on his summoning. He shakes his head sadly at the illusory dragon and shouts "[Goblin] It’s not .. oh, confusticate it, To me! To me!” and squeezes an odd crystal amulet he is wearing.

Goblin Caster 1 then casts Silence directly on Tarric <Will DC 18 negates>, and moves away from the battle. He now has only partial cover and concealment from all.

Goblin 01 runs full speed around the back of the Web and towards his leader. Goblin 03 really wants to escape the Web, but fails to move this round. Goblins 2 and 4 remain stuck.

Goblin 14 gives one last stab at the summoned beetle, misses, and retreats into the woods.

Goblin Leader 5 and Goblin Archer 7 both fire at the summoned beetle, and both hit for a total of 12 damage, before retreating.

Goblin Leader 2 retreats from dragon and huge half-orc, easily dodging Sarak’s blow. He runs towards the forest, but stops long enough to hit the summoned beetle with his spiked chain for 3 damage. (EDIT: "I'm not dead yet! I feel happy!")

Goblin 11 runs from battle and dragon at max speed. Micarrel stabs him for 2 damage as he runs.

Goblin Caster 2 completes his summoning of a Fiendish Wolf, which sprints full speed north to join the battle. He begins casting another spell. The goblin archers near him all reload.

Current Map (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/AA02_B4m.jpg)

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-09-22, 03:16 PM
Karumin cast acid arrow on Goblin Caster 2
Ranged touch (1d20+5)[22]
damage (2d4)[3]

Eldariel
2009-09-22, 04:31 PM
"Bloody hell...", Arathion thinks seeing the chaos land the battlefield.

Arathion yells orders while running towards the forest: "[Draconic] Moe, Raenith, with me! Help Tarric get the caster and the hero who survived the Bolt! If you can, use See Invisibility for the hidden one! Ennamura, Randolf, Di'vai - stop the southern group!" and briefly switching to Common: "Sarak, restrain the Chain-wielder! Rest of you, get the ones in Web & tie up the unconscious ones! And stop the damn Wagon, with magic if you have to!" [the final note being directed at the remaining casters]

While barking orders, Arathion hustles towards the forest and prepares to cast Grease at the Goblin Caster provided Tarric doesn't scorch him senseless.

Arathion moves Q21.
Arathion starts casting Sleep at the Goblin Caster (if Tarric's action doesn't involve scorching him), Goblin Leader otherwise, finishing it on the next round. <Will DC 16>

Stats:

No concealment

Spells:

Abrupt Jaunt: 4/5

Skorj
2009-09-22, 04:35 PM
(Back in round 3) Goblin Caster 2 takes the 3 damage, but it does not disrupt his spell.

I was wondering whether anyone had Acid Arrow. :smallamused: I think it's the only low-level damage spell with Long range.

You might as well roll for the round 4 damage from that.

Do you want cast Acid Arrow on round 4 as well?

Tyndmyr
2009-09-22, 06:14 PM
Ohara does a quick mental inventory of spells prepared that might stop a fleeing wagon without actual violence...Sleep comes to mind, followed swiftly by mental images of a wagon crashing over suddenly snoozing steeds. He shrugs, applying the most valuable lesson learned at school...Ignore a problem, and it might just go away.

He places the crossbow against the head of the unconscious goblin, and pulls the trigger(coup de grace, autocrit, Dmg: [roll0]).

Stabby
2009-09-22, 07:33 PM
Moe's response to Arathion's shouted order is to gather his will and chant the focusing rhyme repeatedly as he moves closer to the tree line.

Moe moves to R31

<draconic>"Till the Sun dawns anew at the restart of all things, I bring you DARKNESS!<draconic>

As his spell culminates, Moe unleashes his dark will upon the Goblin Cleric.

Moe casts Blindness on GL2. Fort Save DC 18

AC 17

Spells Left:
0: Detect Magic x2, Mage Hand, Read Magic
1: Ray of Enfeeblement x2, Mage Armor, Cause Fear x2
2: Blindness/Deafness, Command Undead, Scare

PId6
2009-09-22, 08:09 PM
Tarric

Through a lucky force of will, Tarric manages to shake off that cleric's spell on himself. Laughing at the goblins, he begins chanting a spell in draconic even as he weaves his way through the air, unleashing a ray of flame that fires from his claws at the cleric's body.

Tarric flies to F36 (avoiding G11), presumably close enough to ignore cover and concealment.
Cast Scorching Ray at GC1. Ranged Touch was 21, damage was 11.

RelentlessImp
2009-09-22, 09:04 PM
Di'vai takes a good look at the way the battle is going, a slight frown coming over his face. He wasn't exactly covering himself with glory; his glitterdust got dispelled fairly easily by the mysterious creature drifting about.

"It'd probably be smart for us to get out of here now that they're retreating..." he mutters to himself. Rather than take his own advice - They got blood on my clothes! - he steps onto the road, grimly facing the goblins to the south, shouting loud in their direction in their guttural language, his voice fair crackling with flames.

<Goblin>"You'd best get out of here, greenskins! We're playing with you now, and we've already called a dragon down upon you to be your doom! Do you want to stick around and find out what happens when a group of academy-trained mages get serious about killing you?"

Di'vai moves to AB-31.
Di'vai makes a Bluff Check - (1d20+12)[6](18)

HP: 4/14
AC: 9
Spells Cast: 0th 0/6; 1st 2/7; 2nd 1/3

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-23, 11:05 AM
As Di'vai taunts the goblins, the dragon rears up and lets out a mighty roar, breathing a column of fire up into the air! It spreads its wings, getting back on all fours before taking a running leap into the air, soaring towards the fleeing goblins.

Concentrating on the illusion. Moving it towards the fleeing goblins to the west - around three hundred feet.

Meanwhile, Ennaruma, with a look of concentration on her face, moves to follow the dragon.

Move action twenty feet west. God damn Ennaruma is slow.

Jalor
2009-09-23, 06:36 PM
Raenith stares at the wagon for a second, trying to think of how to stop it. Eventually he gets an idea. Running after the wagon, he mutters in Draconic as Willie doubles in size like Sarak did moments before.

Move to W14.

Cast Enlarge Person on W1.
HP: 19/26
Totally out in the open.
Spells:
1. 4x Grease, Expeditious Retreat

Skorj
2009-09-24, 01:02 AM
Round 4, thus far.

Goblin Caster 1 cries out in pain as he is scorched by Tarric. Goblin 12 shudders as Ohara put a bolt through his brain.

Ennaruma sends the illusory dragon in hot pursuit of the fleeing goblins.

Raenith, the closest to the runaway wagon, moves to help the villagers by casting Enlarge on Willie. Willie, finding himself a giant dwarf and the reigns now in easy reach, makes a fateful balance check not to be pitched off the front of the wagon. With one hand on the wagon and the other on the reigns, he begins trying to regain control of the mules. Meanwhile, the wagon moves north about 100 feet, and the villagers follow as best they’re able.

olentu
2009-09-24, 03:34 PM
Randorf Markov attempts to identify spell on Goblin Leader 2 [roll0] versus DC 21

Having surveyed the battlefield Randorf has determined that Goblin Leader 2 is protected by a protection from good spell. Randorf then points at Goblin Leader 2 while he shouts out a command to the beetle. "Don't try to bite just use the acid on him."

[OOC:I believe that technically celestial and fiendish creatures would default to understanding common. However this is a bit silly and would be quite reasonable to change.]

Randorf Markov moves to (Y,17)

Celestial giant bombardier beetle uses Acid Spray on Goblin Leader 2, damage is (1d4+2)[4] <Fort DC 15>

Skorj
2009-09-24, 10:13 PM
Round 4: Conclusion

Goblin Leader 2 is thankful for Fort saves as he resists both Moe’s spell and Killer Beetle’s acid. Micarrel charges into Goblin Leader 2's chain strike, but they miss one another. Large Marge Sarak moves to flank Goblin Leader 2, but also misses.

Round 5: Goblin Actions

The goblins retreat into the woods at high speed. As Goblin Leader 2 flees, Sarak hits him solidly for 10 damage, but it’s not enough to stop him. His luck runs out when Arathion completes his Sleep spell, however, as he hasn’t quite made it out of range. Goblin Leader 2 falls fast asleep, dreaming of spells with Fort saves.

Goblin Caster 1 casts Cause Fear on Tarric <Will DC 17 negates> before moving away. Is my cholesterol too high wonders Tarric, maybe I should exercise more.

Goblin Caster 2 completes his summoning of another Fiendish Wolf, which moves North to help cover the retreat of the main group. Goblin Caster 2 then covers Caster 1’s escape with an Entangle spell at the edge of the forest, placed to catch Tarric <Reflex DC 14> and block the rest of the party’s most direct route to the gobbies.

The goblin archers to the south decide that they’ll go ahead and fire their crossbows before running, since they put all that effort into winding them up. Not wanting to draw the attention of a huge dragon, they return fire against Karumin. Of the volley of five bolts, two hit for 9 total damage.

At this point the goblins are routed. Left behind is the one sleeping goblin leader, three goblins in the Web, and two unconscious.

As the goblins leave, Goblin Leader 5 sounds a horn durreep ... durreep durreep, A few seconds later, just at the edge of hearing, you hear an answering durrerp durrerp.

EDIT: map (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/AA02_B5m.jpg)

PId6
2009-09-25, 01:02 AM
Tarric

Tarric, exhilarated by the fight, is not cowed by the goblin's spell, instead only becoming more fired up by the puny goblin's attempt. Spinning through the air, he deftly avoids the subsequent attack as well, easily weaving his way through the entangling plants in the area. However, hearing the sound of the horn, he pauses and changes course, flying up through the trees trying to see if anything is coming.

Fly up 80 ft above the trees to try to see what's going on.

Skorj
2009-09-25, 02:53 PM
Tarric finds the change from the heat and noise of battle to the cool clammy night air and sudden stillness almost shocking. The night is peaceful from up here, but the light from Stonedown village buring a few miles to the south is visible, and far to the east the sky glows slightly red, as if from a great many fires.

*pop* Aristotle tells Raenith "the answering horn in the distance was from at least a mile off, and definitely from the east." *bamf*

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-25, 03:18 PM
Ennaruma bends over and gasps, and the dragon promptly stops moving - although it seems perfectly normal and everything.

Until it vanishes eighteen seconds later.

"I can't believe they fell for that..."

RelentlessImp
2009-09-26, 12:11 PM
As the goblins retreat, so does Di'vai - in the opposite direction. Turning and running for the cart, pausing by Enna to hold a hand out to her to help her up.

"You know, that was a pretty nice dragon you conjured up. We'll have to do that again next time we run into a stubborn teacher."

olentu
2009-09-26, 04:15 PM
As the beetle disappears Randorf looks around and says "Well we should probably finish up here and get a move on rather quickly from the sound of things."

PId6
2009-09-27, 12:34 AM
Tarric

Realizing that his prey is getting away, Tarric soars down and fires another bolt of lightning from his claws, sending white lancing bolts of pain at the cleric attempting to escape.

Tarric moves over GC1, staying 100 ft above.
Tarric casts Lightning Bolt for 18 damage, Reflex DC 17 for half.

Stabby
2009-09-27, 06:58 AM
Moe calmly and methodically paces over to the two goblins that Arathion downed with his Colorspray and cuts their throats. He then proceeds to search the bodies.

Search (1d20+5)[22]
Search (1d20+5)[20]

Skorj
2009-09-27, 02:06 PM
Note: Tarric can't see the goblins from above the forest canopy, he needs to dive back down. But he can do that.

Tarric races through the trees to bring the lead goblin cleric into view, then zaps him with a Lightning Bolt. Goblin Caster 1 fails to dodge the attack, and is struck dead.

The remaining goblins are in full flight, and don't stop to carry their fallen leader with them.

I'm going to assume that the PCs eventually search all the goblins and so I'll list here everything you find, rather than speading that across several posts.

Treasure:

Most mundane items were ruined by elemental attacks, or just being worn by goblins, but many of the weapons were salvagable. Between all the goblins, you find the following.

Coin: 208 GP, 491 SP, 67 CP
Mundane items: about 100 pounds worth of gear, mostly weapons, worth 100 GP
From the goblin leaders: 3 potions and 1 oil
From the caster: magical studded leather, a wand, 3 potions, a large crystal amulet
The crystal amulet is not obviously magic. It's a clear hexagonal rod about 1" across and 4" long, attached to a leather thong.

Eldariel
2009-09-27, 02:21 PM
Arathion

"Tarric, you are getting better and better! Also, nice magic resistance out there." and then addresses other people: "Alright, let's round out the ones in the Web and check these bodies and take the leader types with us and see if we can get something out of them."

Arathion checks up if the Goblin Cleric is still alive (in negatives) and if so, stabilizes him with a Take 10 on Heal-check (automatically makes DC 15; taking him along for future interrogation if he isn't dead yet; without his Holy Symbol, he shouldn't be able to cast even the simplest cantrip orison), and provided someone assists him, drags the unconscious body to the wagon and ties it up.

Back with the rest of the group: "Glad we had no casualties. Seems our training wasn't for naught. I propose we get moving before the reinforcements arrive. Heal up if you need to...", silently muttering "Damn, those healing potions really are awful..." and continues "and once we're done, let's put as much between ourselves and those horns as we can. I'll be our eyes in the forest; I bet I'm a better scout than those stinky Goblins could ever hope to be. If someone has a sharp-eyed familiar, I'd appreciate the company."

Once the post-battle round-up is complete, Arathion takes one more look at the crystal amulet (trying to figure out if it e.g. could be some sort of a Holy Symbol or some focus for a Scrying-spell or a trap or such):
Arathion's Knowledge Arcane/Religion (whichever is appropriate) on the Amulet - (1d20+6)[25]

and vanishes to the woods. Arathion will stay about 30' to the same side of the forest from which this assault came, staying with the Wagon constantly Hiding and staying on a lookout to ensure that another ambush of this type (or a surprise attack of that matter) wouldn't be possible (in other words, keeps watch).

PId6
2009-09-27, 02:47 PM
Tarric

Preening at the complement, Tarric lands besides his friends gracefully. "I have but my ancestors to thank for my powers, though I admit it took no small degree of skill on my part," he said modestly, "But I see that some of our friends are injured, so allow me to qualm their wounds with another of my ancestors' gifts." Flying over to Ohara, Di'vai, and Karumin, Tarric lays one claw upon his belt and another upon each of their shoulders one at a time, speaking the command word for each. Three bursts of positive energy flowed through him and into his injured friends, sealing their wounds.

Healing Belt for Ohara: (2d8)[12]
Healing Belt for Di'vai: (2d8)[3] (Ouch, sorry!)
Healing Belt for Karumin: (2d8)[8]

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-09-27, 03:45 PM
Karumin

"Thanks my friend those bolt really do hurt. I think I need to exercise for my stamina. Well we should prepare for the next encounter those goblins might be back with friends."

Skorj
2009-09-27, 08:02 PM
Arathion studies the amulet, but does not recognize it. As he's fresh from his Academy cram session, he's pretty sure he'd recognize it if it were any common wonderous item.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-27, 09:20 PM
"Ah, that's as welcome now as after an all-night binge", Ohara says, with a sigh of relief. "You don't suppose these guys had a nip of anything worth drinking on them, do you? No? Damn shame. Oh well, let's see about this crystalmajigger thing you found there."

Ohara casts detect magic, and spends a few rounds concentrating on the amulet. If no aura is found, he'll sweep the rest of the area around the wagon for any missed auras until the duration expires.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-27, 09:49 PM
Ohara glances over at Di'vai and says, "Woah, you don't look so good still, let me take care of that"

Using one charge, belt of healing on Di'Vai: Healed for [roll0] hp.

Skorj
2009-09-28, 12:48 AM
Ohara learns the following from his Detect Magic spell (and general close inspection):

The crystal rod is magical, but has no associated school. You've learned at the Academy this is true of certain naturally occuring magic (and sometimes of artifacts, but that seems unlikely for a goblin).
The armor has a strong aura of abjuration.
The potions you identify specifically as Protection from Good.
The oil you recognize from experience as Oil of magic Weapon.
The wand has a faint aura of conjuration.

No other magic items were detected on nearby goblins.

Skorj
2009-09-28, 01:03 AM
Arathion stabilizes the goblin cleric just on the brink of death. With Sarak's assistance, he manages to return the unconscious goblin to the wagons without damaging him further.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-28, 03:54 AM
Ennaruma would have helped with the looting of course - even though she finds it distasteful. Hey, the goblins attacked them!

And, although she'd never say it out loud, they were just goblins.

RelentlessImp
2009-09-28, 01:05 PM
"Whew. Thanks for the healing, guys. I think I need to practice a bit more before our next fight..." Di'vai places his hands on his knees, taking some time to catch his breath. "We probably shouldn't stay in this area for too long, though."

Skorj
2009-09-28, 02:54 PM
The party begins to form up in order to move on. The goblin cleric and the formerly chain-wielding leader have been bound as prisoners.

"Whatever sounded that other horn might be coming this way," says Willie. "While moving up the road won't make us that hard to find, at least we shouldn't make it easy for 'em".

Stabby
2009-09-28, 03:43 PM
Moe paces up to the wagon, a slain goblin tossed over his shoulder and two green feet sticking disconcertingly from his back pack.
This is a striking opportunity to dissect a fresh goblin.

A medium load is under 66 pounds and since his Handy Haversack can fit 80lbs and 8cubic feet (a human body is less than 8 cubic feet and a standard human is larger than a standard goblin) so he's looking at still being at being ok. Being a construct immune to fatigue or exhaustion, he can definitely keep up like this.

Eldariel
2009-09-28, 03:58 PM
Addressing the villagers in the wagon: "We got two Goblins as prisoners. We can question them once this trip is over; now we don't have the time. As such, even though I know you have grievances for these invaders, it is imperative that you do not take your revenge on these two captives - if they die, we have no way of figuring out where the Goblins might strike next, how strong they are, why they attacked in the first place and other burning questions on the minds of us all. So do not touch them. I'm sure Willie agrees with me on this one."

OOC: I figure Intimidate would be the most appropriate skill for driving something like this through. As such:
Arathion's Intimidate at the Villagers to make sure they don't try to kill the captives: (1d20+5)[24]

With that (after the possible response and exchange), he addresses Willie and the combatants in the group (us Wizards and the warriors) mostly ignoring Moe's "body searches": "May be best for us if I stay a bit ahead of you in the forest and keep watch, to make sure more surprises don't show up. That horn didn't sound promising and at least I'd appreciate an advance warning if the pox-ridden pukeskins try to take our lives again. No Goblin is going to see me before I see them."

Provided there are no other things requiring chatting, he finally disappears into the woods for real:
Arathion's Hide: (1d20+10)[28]
Arathion's Move Silently: (1d20+10)[16] (-5 to both if he needs to move more than ½ speed [15'] to stay ahead of the Wagons)

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-28, 04:00 PM
Ennaruma stares at Moe, slightly disconcerted. She shakes it off, though, and tries to walk as far away from him as possible while still being near the wagon.

olentu
2009-09-28, 04:09 PM
Randorf retakes his position.

PId6
2009-09-28, 04:25 PM
Tarric

For the next hour, Tarric remains in the sky, circling above the others and watching for other threats ahead. As the hour comes to a close, he'll come back and land onto his seat in the wagon, transforming back to his normal form. If they still have not been interrupted by then, he'll take the wand and begin studying it, trying to Identify its effects.

Jalor
2009-09-28, 04:37 PM
Raenith gestures, and the owl circling the area swoops down and perches on his shoulder. "Aristotle, follow Arathion at a distance and keep an eye out for anything hostile."

He also examines the cart, checking for any structural damage. If there is any, he repairs it with a Mending.

RelentlessImp
2009-09-28, 11:12 PM
Di'vai returns to the wagon seat, speaking very sharply to his summoned raven. His fierce feline companion still held in the crook of his arm, having slept through the entirety of the fight, cracks one eye open, takes a quick paw at Di'vai's chest, extending her claws just enough to make him shut up. And with a sigh, Di'vai does just that, sending the raven back into the air to keep a bird's-eye view directly above the wagon.

Skorj
2009-09-29, 02:56 AM
Willie calls Jalor's attention gratefully to one of the wagon wheels, which has been damaged in such a way that it might work loose of the axel if not repaired. Jalor's Mending spell quickly fixes the cracked pin holding the wheel tight, avoiding the need to remove the wheel to replace the part.

The party begins moving north once more. After about ten minutes of travel, the scouts (Arathion and Aristotle) both hear a group approaching through the forest. Whatever's coming, it's coming fast from the south and east, and may overtake the party in a round or two.

Eldariel
2009-09-29, 04:29 AM
OOC: Can Arathion tell e.g. by sound the size of the creatures? Any visual yet? Approximate range?

Arathion casts Message targeting Willie and...Ennamura, Randorf & Tarriculmak (provided he's within 140' of me) whispering through the spell "Something is coming from south and east, fast. Ready yourselves, warn the rest!", being more specific regarding "Something" if he can make any further deductions as to what's coming.

He will then start moving towards the Wagons, while trying to acquire a visual on the marauders.

Skorj
2009-09-29, 12:22 PM
Ararthion would guess it was a medium-sized group (3-30 creatures) moving quickly through the woods. They seem reasonably stealthy, not crashing loudly as they go. If they were moving slower, you're not sure you would have heard them before they were on top of you.

Eldariel
2009-09-29, 03:27 PM
Arathion

Arathion adds one last note to his last message: "Remember the invisible one? He might be around again; if we can find him, I suggest we focus on killing him. I think he's the leader of these raids - if he'd die, I trust we'd be able to finish our trip safely."

OOC: If anyone has any preparations to do for a fight, the time is now.

PId6
2009-09-29, 04:11 PM
Tarric

Receiving the warning, Tarric flies down closer to the group and casts Shield on himself, causing a shimmering sphere of energy to surround himself, further protecting him from harm. He awaits the enemy.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-29, 04:50 PM
Ennaruma sighs, pulling out her crossbow and pulling a bolt into place. She really shouldn't have neglected offensive spells so much.

Oh well. Defense it is! She moves her hands in arcane gestures, seemingly 'weaving' the magic in her fingers, as she speaks the words of power. "[Gnome] Light. Mirror." There's a purple shimmer, and suddenly... there are suddenly five more of her, clustered closely around. After a moment it becomes unclear which is the real one...

Ennaruma casts Mirror Image on herself, creating (1d4+1)[5] images.

Mirror Image: 40 rounds.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-30, 07:25 AM
Seeing the defence spells of the others, Ohara rises, casts Shield on himself, and aims his crossbow at the treeline, searching for the threat.

unmodified spot check:[roll0]
unmodified listen check:[roll1]

Spells:

Conj Bonus Spells:
0: Light
1: Magic Missile
2: Scorching Ray

Normal Spell Complement:
0: 1xMage Hand, 1xFlare, 1xMending, 1x Detect Magic, 3xDaze
1: 1xShield, 1xMagic Missile, 1xSleep, 1xColor Spray
2: 1xScorching Ray, 1xFlaming Sphere, 1xProt Arrows

Skorj
2009-09-30, 02:45 PM
Ohara observes the forest keenly, and gulps as he spots a Thirty-Headed Tarrasque (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20070608a). Or, wait, that was just a group of trees in the moonlight. Whew.

The attackers become more clearly audible as they approach. There is clearly a line of creatures, somewhat spread out and perhaps moving to surround you, but they are not yet visible.

Round 1

You haven't gotten a good look at the attackers, but they're probably within striking distance, 100 to 150 feet into the woods. Fortunately you heard them coming and are not surprised.

Map at start (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area03/AA03_B0.jpg) (If you don't like where you are on the map, you can take a move action on "Round 0" to start somewhere else nearby.)

Everyone: Roll for initiative!

Tyndmyr
2009-09-30, 03:15 PM
Init roll:[roll0]

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-30, 03:19 PM
Ennaruma rolls initiative: (1d20+2)[21]

olentu
2009-09-30, 03:34 PM
Randorf Markov rolls initiative (1d20+2)[12]

Eldariel
2009-09-30, 03:38 PM
OOC: I assume the characters who haven't had a chance to post yet can post their actions just before the combat given my message should be relayed pretty much immediately? Either way, I'd add that Arathion moved another Alchemist's Fire to his belt for throwing.

Arathion's Initiative: (1d20+3)[15]

Skorj
2009-09-30, 03:56 PM
Yes, folks who haven't posted recently can act on "round 0" and roll initiative for Round 1, at least until we move too far into Round 1's actions.

As a general rule, to keep combat from dragging on forever, I'm going to try to advance the round daily in fights, but give some slack to those who don't post daily by letting them specify 2 rounds at once. With the size of the group, I think it's better if someone occasionally loses a round of action because they were busy in RL for a few days than it would be to leave 8 people waiting for that time.

Stabby
2009-09-30, 04:00 PM
Moe Dron rolls Initiative (1d20+1)[3]

Moe lets the goblin corpse he is carrying roll of his shoulders like a sack of potatoes. With unhurried precision, Moe slides a crossbow quarrel in the groove of his crossbow.

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-09-30, 04:37 PM
Karumin cast shield in round zero.Karumin rolls for initative (1d20+17)[33]
He then pulls out his bow and load it with a arrow.

Jalor
2009-09-30, 04:59 PM
Raenith turns to the treeline and readies a spell for the first group to come through.

Raenith readies an action to cast Grease on the first group of two or more enemies to appear. Raenith rolls initiative (1d20+3)[14].

PId6
2009-09-30, 11:28 PM
Tarric

After casting his spell, Tarric circles above around 50 ft above the party and wait for the attackers.

My stats are correct.

Initiative - (1d20+3)[23] : Nice natural 20 here.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-01, 10:17 AM
Ohara hustles thirty feet torward the nearest treeline, then casts Light on the bolt in his crossbow.

Skorj
2009-10-01, 11:05 AM
Please stop spoilering your die rolls folks - I know other PbP games here do that, but it makes things difficult for me. :smallsmile:

The enemy's initiative is 17. The party has initiative for this encounter.

Please declare your actions for round 1 - you don't have specific targets yet, but of course you can move to protect the wagon, ready actions, and cast spells that don't require a specific target.

EDIT: Map still looks like this (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area03/AA03_B0.jpg)

Skorj
2009-10-01, 12:17 PM
PId6 and Tyndmyr: (and everyone else) please give me the specific map location you move to.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-01, 01:45 PM
Moved to X8

PId6
2009-10-01, 01:49 PM
Same location, just 50 ft above the ground.

Yuki Akuma
2009-10-01, 03:08 PM
Ennaruma walks to the east, slowly, concentrating on a spell.

Move to S8.

Once again, her fingers move as if she's weaving some sort of invisible thread. "[Gnome] Light. Blur." Her body - and that of her five images - seems to get fuzzy and indistinct. Illusionists get the best defensive spells.

Cast Blur on self.

AC: 13, touch 13; 5 images; 20% miss chance

Mirror Image: 39 rounds.
Blur: 40 rounds

PId6
2009-10-01, 04:27 PM
Tarric

The little dragon waits where he is, preparing to attack once the enemy appears.

Delay until I can see an enemy out of concealment.

RelentlessImp
2009-10-01, 08:02 PM
Swearing quietly as they prepare for battle, Di'vai seats himself firmly on the wagon's seat, watching for the first sign of attackers, the words to a spell on his lips. Once he sees their quarry, he'll cast Glitterdust centered on them.

Di'vai makes a Caster Level Check - (1d20+2)[14](16) vs DC 8

Skorj
2009-10-02, 04:15 PM
The uninjured of Willie’s Stout Lads move to form a protective line between the forest and the wagon.

Arathion watches in amazement as a huge worg, at least 8 feet long and as tall as an elf, runs silently past him. The Alpha Worg pauses for a moment as the rest of his pack, carrying goblin riders and running fast and silent, burst from the forest edge. Arathion also hears the sound of nearby spellcasting, but cannot pinpoint the source, and there are no visible casters nearby.

Raenith casts grease at the feet of Worg 2 as it runs from the trees towards Ohara. The worg nimbly keeps its feet, but slows down and slides slightly towards Worg 3, offering Di’vai the chance to catch 2 worgs and their riders in a Glitterdust despite the careful spacing of their line.

Worg 3 and Goblin Rider 2 are blinded by glitterdust. Worg 2 and Goblin Rider 3 avoid blindness.

Behind the worgs comes a second row of goblin cavalry. Clearly these goblins drew the short straws when mounts were assigned. Not only are they mounted on riding dogs instead of worgs (unleash the fury!), they’re mounted 2 to a dog. Staying a bit behind the others, a dog-mounted goblin cleric remains concealed in the forest (total cover) as he casts a spell.

The Alpha Worg shakes the air with his growl as he stalks last from the forest, and moves to surround the party.

Those with readied weapons should fire before the (surviving) goblins attack. Those who delayed action can declare actions now (though they’ll act after the goblin attacks).

Map at end of goblin movement (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area03/AA03_R1-1.jpg)

EDIT: The Alpha Worg is shown on the wrong place on the map. He's next to the road, in squares R-S:4-5.

Skorj
2009-10-02, 06:19 PM
Just to be clear - Arathion is aware of the dog-mounted cleric (DG0), but there's another caster, (possibly much) closer to Arathion, that no one sees. You only know that you hear him casting, and he sounds somewhere close.

Eldariel
2009-10-02, 06:25 PM
OOC: Can I try to determine his direction with an active Listen-check or something?

Skorj
2009-10-02, 07:10 PM
Spending an action on a listen check should at least give you a second roll to learn something. You can't pin location down to a square on a successful listen check without some specific feat or ability, but you could certainly learn more.

EDIT: If you decide to make an active listen check, roll a spot check as well.

Eldariel
2009-10-02, 07:32 PM
OOC: Alright, I deleted my last action; this changes things. Also, I should be able to pinpoint him if I exceed the Listen DC by 20...though that's unlikely. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#listen) That said, all I need is a close-enough approximate to Glitterdust.

Arathion

Arathion focuses intently on locating the source of the spellcasting:

Perception to locate the spellcaster:
Listen - (1d20+1)[9]
Spot - (1d20+14)[26] [Wrong bonus, should be 25]

Skorj
2009-10-02, 07:44 PM
Arathion isn't precisely sure where the hidden caster is, but he sounds as if he's 30 to 60 feet away to the west/northwest. He doesn't see that caster at all, however, and there's just not that much cover. Something odd is going on here - perhaps it's another invisible caster, or perhaps it's the same one as before.

EDIT: fixed the direction: the caster is closer to the road than you.

Eldariel
2009-10-02, 07:55 PM
[OOC: To get the directions straight on the map...the wagon is moving north, yes? So north is the top of the map and west is towards the road from Arathion? So does it seem like he's actually out of the forest in the open area, somewhere? Or do I have my north and west wrong?]

Skorj
2009-10-02, 11:39 PM
North is always the top of the map. Anything else is just wrong. :smallsmile: So he's either out of the forest area or something weird is going on.

PId6
2009-10-03, 12:06 AM
Tarric

Staying above the battlefield, Tarric begins to weave a spell, signaling with his claws while singing a mesmerizing draconic song. Suddenly, a searing red ray springs from his claws at the nearest mounted goblin, sizzling its flesh with burning heat.

Tarric casts Scorching Ray at G1: Touch Attack - (1d20+7)[24], Fire Damage - (4d6)[17].

Eldariel
2009-10-03, 08:27 PM
Arathion

Arathion prepares to reveal the caster given chance (while trying to pay attention to any possible illusionary effects that might be clouding his perception, such as Ghost Sounds).

Readied Action: Arathion casts Glitterdust if he can gain a sufficiently accurate reading on the location of the arcanist to hit with the 20' spread.

olentu
2009-10-04, 01:53 AM
Randorf sighs deeply at all the bother these goblins are causing.

Randorf Markov moves to (R,11)

Randorf Markov casts Summon Monster II summoning a Celestial dog, riding at (T,6)

Celestial dog, riding bites at Alpha Worg: (d20+5)[23], damage roll is (1d6+6)[10]

Yuki Akuma
2009-10-04, 07:04 AM
Ennaruma glances towards what's obviously the lead worg-rider, then makes a single gesture that looks hilariously like someone tripping up. She also mumbles something or other in Draconic, pulling out a piece of bacon rind from her pouch...

And, then, suddenly, a patch of purplish grease appears at the lead worg-rider's mount's feet!

Cast Grease at the intersection between R3, R4, S3 and S4 - right on top of WG1. Caster level 3rd. Reflex save DC 15.

Ennaruma then carefully walks towards the goblins.

Move to V9.

Mirror Image: 38 rounds.
Blur: 39 rounds

Skorj
2009-10-04, 01:14 PM
Round 1 Continues

Please note: the Alpha Worg has no rider (and Arathion is reasonably sure that’s not where the possibly invisible caster is). Even so, it’s still the most dangerous looking thing on the battlefield.

Arathion listens intently, trying to locate the hidden caster.

Ennaruma Greases the Alpha Worg, which skitters comically but barely manages to keep its balance.

Randorf’s Summoned Dog fearlessly attacks the large worg, biting it savagely.

Still to act: Karumin – please pick a target for your bow attack.
Moe – please pick a target for your crossbow attack.
Ohara – please pick a target for your lighted crossbow attack (the goblin in front of you is blinded, but the worg isn’t, so I’m guessing WG2).
Tarric – please clarify your target: Alpha Worg (WG1), worg in front of Ohara (WG2), or the blind goblin riding that worg (G2).

Current stats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7054940#post7054940)

Current map (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area03/AA03_R1-2.jpg)

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-10-04, 04:05 PM
Moves to R10. Karumin fires longbow at Alpha Worg (1d20+5)[14]
damage (1d8)[7]

HP 17
AC20 FF17 T12
spells 0-4 1-5 2-5
0 level spells all srd
1 level spells all srd Mage Armor Shield
2-leviate,false life,daze monster,see invisibilty,gust of winds,see invisibilty,resist energy,scorching ray,rope trick,bear's endurance,acid arrows,Alter self,Protection from arrows,glitterdust,web,invisibilty,Command undead,Mirror Image,Hypnotic Pattern,Minor image,knock,shatter,fog cloud,Fox cunning,Spider Climbing,Cat's Grace

Skorj
2009-10-04, 04:20 PM
The Alpha Worg tries to dodge Karumin's arrow, but skids on the grease and the arrow thwoks solidly into it's flank.

Stabby
2009-10-05, 07:52 AM
Moe takes aim and fires at the Alpha Worg

Moe fires heavy crossbow at alpha worg (1d20+3)[9]

Tyndmyr
2009-10-05, 08:39 AM
WG2 indeed.

Ohara visibly starts as a worg hurtles torward him, and looses a crossbow bolt out of pure reflex.

To hit roll: [roll0]
Dmg roll: [roll1]
(if nat 19-20)
Crit hit roll: [roll2]
Crit Dmg roll: [roll3]

Eldariel
2009-10-05, 02:13 PM
Hm, adding to my last turn:
Arathion takes a 5' step to AH4

Skorj
2009-10-05, 02:30 PM
Note: please feel free to roll dice in the dice-rolling thread, and copypaste the results here. That way you can roll again as needed for stuff, and describe your actions based on the results (plus, that way you can edit your posts in this thread).

Moe’s bolt flies wide, but Ohara’s finds its mark.

Tarric scorches the Alpha Worg who screams in pain, and begins cursing in Worg.

Goblin 2 swings wildly in hope someone steps in front of his morningstar. Goblins 3 and 5 swing just as wildly, despite being able to see. Goblin 4, however, manages to graze John.

Note: the worgs moved through enough forest to be denied a charge attack.

Goblin 9A throws a Lit javelin at Raenith, and the other 7 goblins in the back row apparently take this as a signal and focus their throws. The goblins manage to hit twice, doing 4 points of damage total.

Round 2

Please declare your actions (and Tarric still needs to clarify his taget from round 1 EDIT: got it). As the hidden caster is still casting, Arathion can make another listen check as a free action, and perhaps locate the caster more specifically (or perhaps someone with an extremely high listen skill could help).

Current stats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7054940#post7054940)

Current map (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area03/AA03_R1-2.jpg) (Arathon is in AH4).

Eldariel
2009-10-05, 02:38 PM
Arathion's Listen to again find the elusive caster: (1d20+1)[6]

Skorj
2009-10-05, 02:44 PM
Arathion fails to get any better sense of where the caster is. He still believes there is something unusual about the situation (beyond the apparantly invisible caster) but can't quite pin it down.

You still have a full round's action.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-06, 10:59 AM
Ohara takes a 5ft adjust to Y7, glancing around to get his bearings on where everyone is.

Seeing a remarkable amount of sharp, pointy looking objects travelling through the sky, he casts Protection from Arrows, then grimly begins reloading his crossbow.

Eldariel
2009-10-06, 02:11 PM
Arathion

Arathion spends a full-round action to listen really intently, cursing the distractions around:

Arathion does some more Listening: (1d20+1)[4]

Arathion does even more listening: (1d20+1)[18]

5' Step to AH3

If Arathion notices something, I'll be still taking an action to use my Message-spell, most likely to inform Tarric of the target's location if possible.

Skorj
2009-10-07, 11:53 AM
Arathion thinks he's figured out what's going on! The voice of the hidden caster seems to be coming from above, high in the trees (or, perhaps, high above the field near the trees). Somewhere to the North and/or West, and at that height and distance the caster would only be 10 to 40 feet away as shown on the map (30 to 60 feet away, but some of that is height).

Note: at a height of 5 to 30 feet, tree branches are sparse and one can move (if flying) and see the battlefield normally. From 35-50 feet is dense tree canopy, difficult terrain for flyers but great for squirrels, that's easy to hide in but hard to see very far. Above 50 feet you must be flying.

Yuki Akuma
2009-10-07, 12:01 PM
Ennaruma smirks a bit at the slipping warg, then casually jobs off to the east. She moves her hands as if weaving, yet again, and speaks: "[Gnome] Colour!" She holds her hand forth, and strikes with the power of rainbows!

Move to V9. Cast Colour Spray so as to hit WG2 and WG3 - I should just be able to do that. Will save DC 17 to resist.

If 2HD or less: Unconscious, blinded and stunned for (2d4)[5] rounds, then blinded and stunned for (1d4)[3] rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

If 3 or 4HD: Blinded and stunned for (1d4)[3] rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

If 5HD or more: Stunned for 1 round.

Mirror Image: 37 rounds.
Blur: 38 rounds

Skorj
2009-10-07, 02:19 PM
Nicely placed!

Goblins 2 and 3 slide unconscious off of their mounts. Worg 2 manages to look away in time. Worg 3 is stunned is already blind and so unaffected.

Stabby
2009-10-07, 06:12 PM
Running through his repertoire of spells left available, Moe decided that one spell to remove four enemies from the battle would be his best choice. After all, getting rid of Wargs should take the riders with them.

Moe shifts to M18 and casts Scare on Warg 5 and Warg 4

Will save 18 or become frightened if it saves then shaken

Eldariel
2009-10-07, 06:22 PM
Arathion uses the Message-spell to deliver the following information: "There's a spellcaster hiding in the treeline, about 30' north of the battle. I will try to 'Dust him visible if nobody beats me to it."

Skorj
2009-10-07, 06:57 PM
What is a worg frightened of? Most people would be just as happy not to know, but I suspect Moe would be interested.

Worg 5 becomes frightened, and turns to run. Worg 4 is shaken, but stands his ground.

PId6
2009-10-08, 05:20 PM
Tarric

Hearing Arathion's message, Tarric considers flying over to attack whatever it is that is hiding from them, but remembers that he doesn't have any spells left which can do it. Instead, he holds his claw together in the form of a fist, and slowly opens it wide, whispering draconic words that become softer and softer as he speaks. As the spell completes, a ray of black energy releases from that claw, striking a worg and weakening its body.

Tarric casts Ray of Enfeeblement at Worg 2.
Ranged Touch - (1d20+7)[23]
Strength Penalty - (1d6+3)[6]

Skorj
2009-10-09, 06:26 PM
Round 2 Continues

Willie struggles to control the mules. The mules desperately want to bolt, but with a huge worg in front of them they have nowhere to run.

Willie’s Stout Lads move to attack the nearby worgs. Sarak savagely cleaves Worg 5 with her greatsword, hiting for 11 damage. James takes a 5 foot step towards Worg 5, swinging his longsword but missing. John stabs Worg 4 with his long sword as the great wolf runs at him, hitting for 6 damage. Micarral fiercely leaps at Worg 4 with his shortsword, but hits only air.

The villagers in the back of the wagon launch a volley of cobblestones at Goblin 4, several of which find their mark. Goblin 4 falls, dead.

Still to act:Di’vai
Karumin
Raenith
Randorf

I'm going to go ahead and give the goblins their actions later tonight, to keep things moving.

Current Stats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7089173#post7089173)

Current Map (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area03/AA03_R2-1a.jpg)

olentu
2009-10-09, 09:29 PM
Randorf Markov reloads light crossbow.

Randorf Markov fires light crossbow at Alpha Worg: (1d20+4)[10], damage roll is (1d8)[6]

Celestial dog, riding bites at Alpha Worg: (1d20+5)[17], damage roll is (1d6+6)[10]

Skorj
2009-10-10, 03:25 PM
Round 2, Goblins and Worgs

Perhaps recognizing the true threat, the Alpha Worg ignores the little puppy nipping at his heels as he carefully moves off the patch of Grease, then crosses the trail to attack Randorf. The Alpha Worg bites Randorf for 14 damage (leaving him with 1 HP!), and trips him, knocking him prone.

The worg made a 25 on his trip check, opposed by Randorf’s Dex check. I’m assuming that stat checks are like skill checks, with no auto-success on a 20, but let me know if I’m wrong.

The Celestial Riding Dog gets an attack of opportunity as the alpha worg moves off the Grease, and could possibly stop the above action.

Worg 2 moves to attack Ennaruma, and savagely bites a mirror image. You’d think hunting by scent would give me an advantage here thinks the worg.

Worg 3 snaps blindly at Raenith, and hits for 5 damage. That’s one lucky puppy. Raenith must oppose a trip roll of 7 to avoid being knocked prone

Worg 4 bites John, but John avoids being tripped.

Worg 5 flees in terror. James and Sarrak both attack as it turns its back, and Sarrak hits with her greatsword for another 10 damage. “Yip yip yip yip yip.”

Riding Dog 6 moves in to snap at Arathion, and the goblins riding it throw javelins at it approaches. Arathion is hit by a javelin for 4 damage.

Riding Dogs 7, 8, and 9 move to the north and west approaching the party. Goblins throw javelins at Ohara, but they mysteriously miss their mark, at Ennaruma, missing all of her, and at Karumin, also missing.

The Goblin Cleric completes his summoning of a Large Fiendish Monstrous Centipede, which moves towards the party. The cleric rides closer as well, losing the concealment of the forest, and casts Remove Fear on the fleeing Worg.

The hidden caster completes his summoning of a Hippogriff, which dives to attack Ohara, biting for 5 damage. The hidden caster resumes casting another long spell.

Sadly, the hippogriff doesn’t count as a missile weapon thrown by the hidden caster. :smallbiggrin:

Still time to act:Di’vai
Karumin
Raenith

Current Stats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7089173#post7089173)

Current Map (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area03/AA03_R2-2.jpg)

Eldariel
2009-10-10, 05:45 PM
Just as the Goblins toss their Javelin, Arathion vanishes before their eyes and the dog loses immediate scent.

Arathion uses Abrupt Jaunt to teleport to AG1 and hides again as he jaunts into the undergrowth - Hide (1d20+10)[25]

Skorj
2009-10-10, 09:54 PM
I'm going to go ahead and make the dog's attack so we can move on.

Celestial riding dog bites at the Alpha Worg as it flees: (1d20+5)[22], damage roll is (1d6+6)[8]

The Aplha Worg moves off the grease patch despite the attack.

Round 3

Declare your actions. Di’vai, Karumin, and Raenith can also declare actions for the end of round 2.

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-10-11, 05:55 PM
Karumin reloads bow and fires it at the alpha worg
Shoot at Alpha worg (1d20+5)[14]
If critical (1d20+5)[13]
Damage (1d8)[1]
DM you forgot to chage my stats My AC is 20

Skorj
2009-10-11, 07:09 PM
You get a second action for Karumin, Xaklin, and that Apha Worg really needs to be put down. :smallsmile:

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-10-12, 01:10 AM
What is SR1?

Skorj
2009-10-12, 02:26 AM
SR1 is Randorf's Summon - the Celestial Dog that has chewed down the Alpha Worg by a lot.

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-10-12, 03:48 AM
Moves to O6 and cast burning hand on Alpha worg
(4d4)[9] Reflex for half (16)

Stabby
2009-10-12, 06:43 AM
Moe paces up towards Randorf, calmly chanting to himself in Draconic while flicking his clockwork fingers in practiced motions, with a flourish a green beam darts out at the Alpha Warg.

Moe moves to N12 and casts Ray of Enfeeblement at the Alpha Warg (at N9)
Ranged Touch attack (1d20+3)[11]
Strength Penalty (1d6+2)[3]

statblock

AC: 17 Touch: 11 Flatfooted: 16

Spells left:
0: Read Magic, Detect Magic x2, Mage Hand
1: Ray of Enfeeblement, Mage Armor, Cause Fear x2
2: Blindness/Deafness, Command Undead

Jalor
2009-10-12, 02:54 PM
Earlier in the round, Raenith had stepped to the side and carefully lined up two Worgs before unleashing a fearsome gout of icy breath.

5-foot step to U13.

Breath weapon on WG3 and WG2 (yes, it hits both of them); (1d8)[6] cold damage, Reflex DC 15 half. Any damaged creature is entangled for (1d4)[2] rounds and will take damage those rounds. Recharge in (1d4)[3] rounds.

Skorj
2009-10-13, 07:50 PM
Round 3 Continues

Jalor: I recorded Raenith's round 2 actions and updated his position. The adjacent worg still succeeds on his attack (he had rolled a 20) on Raenith, so Raenith needs to beat 7 on a Dex check to avoid being tripped at the end of round 2. (And please let me know your round 3 actions.)

So far only Karumin and Moe have acted on round 3. Actions, please.

The Alpha Worg is weakened by Moe and burned by Karumin . It has taken serious damage, but keeps fighting.

Current Stats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7116784#post7116784)

Current Map (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area03/AA03_R3-1.jpg)

Eldariel
2009-10-13, 09:50 PM
Arathion

Arathion finally believes he has a fix on the (probably) invisible caster's location and goes for it:

Arathion moves to AA1 and casts Glitterdust at about 30' height, centered at the intersection AF/AG 1/2.

If the caster is made visible, Arathion yells:
"[Draconic] Disrupt his spellcasting and prepare to do it again; we don't want to lose him!"

Skorj
2009-10-14, 10:53 AM
Arathion's glitterdust reveals the invisible caster, who from his outline would seem to be a goblin, at AE1 at a height of 30 feet. He is currently casting a spell.

I'll call the new one GC4.

Yuki Akuma
2009-10-14, 11:03 AM
Ennaruma carefully backs away from the worg in front of her, all the while loading a bolt into her crossbow. The other Ennarumas do the same.

5-foot step to U8 and reload light crossbow.

Ennarum then spins around and aims a bolt for the outlined flying figure! She was always pretty good at marksmanship...

Ennaruma fires at the goblin in AE1 (that is, GC4)!

Attack (1d20+5)[20]
Damage (1d6)[5] piercing.

AC: 13, touch 13; 4 images; 20% miss chance

Mirror Image: 36 rounds.
Blur: 37 rounds

Skorj
2009-10-14, 11:21 AM
OK, I guess I should actually say that the newly revealed caster is sitting in a tree, not flying, rather than expecting everyone to read my mind. :smallamused:

Ennaruma's crossbow bolt thwoks into the goblin caster as he sits high in his tree. His casting continues.

Note: Tarric can't see the new caster unless he dives to 30 feet or lower altitude (because of the tree cover), but all the other PCs have LOS.

Skorj
2009-10-14, 02:33 PM
Note: I'll be running Di'vai until RelentlessImp reappears.

Back on round 2:

Di'vai casts Magic Missile at the Alpha Worg, for (2d4+2)[6] damage, no save.

olentu
2009-10-15, 02:08 AM
Celestial dog, riding moves to (O,9)

Celestial dog, riding uses Smite Evil and bites at Alpha Worg: (d20+5)[24], damage roll is (1d6+6)[9] (+2 damage if target is evil)

[OOC: I totally forgot about the smite evil ability celestial creatures get]

Skorj
2009-10-15, 02:31 AM
Celestial Dog slays the Alpha Worg with his evil-smiting bite!

The 2 damage actually made the difference. :smallamused:

PId6
2009-10-15, 04:47 PM
Tarric

[Draconic]"Don't worry, I got him!" Tarric shouted back towards Arathion, before diving down for the attack. Flying into range, he unleashes another searing bolt of fire at the now-revealed caster, hoping to at least disrupt the goblin's spell to make all of their lives much easier. Despite his confident tone of voice, inside he's berating himself for wasting all of his most powerful spells in the last battle and not saving much for this one. He hopes this won't last too much longer, or he'll be completely useless before the day's through.

Tarric flies within LOS at Z2 (30 ft up) and casts Scorching Ray at GC4.
Ranged Touch - (1d20+7)[13]
Fire Damage - (4d6)[12]

Skorj
2009-10-15, 05:25 PM
Round 3 Continues

“[goblin]*$&* @#$^* #*#!” shouts the Goblin Caster as his spell is disrupted.

“Can anyone Grease that caster in the tree?” shouts Di’vai, “that would be pretty funny”.

Di'vai casts Magic Missile at Goblin Caster 4, for (2d4+2)[8] damage, no save.

Still to act this round:
Ohara
Raenith (who also needs to roll to avoid being tripped)
I’ll take the villager’s actions and update the map this evening.

Jalor
2009-10-15, 08:33 PM
(1d20+3)[16] to avoid being tripped.

Raenith pries his leg from the Worg's mouth and stays on his feet.

[Draconic]"I can't get close enough to Grease the caster! I'll get a dog instead!"

Move to Y17. Blinded creatures don't threaten squares, so no AoO from Fido.

Grease from squares AE16 to AF17, hitting DG9. DC 16 Reflex or fall prone, Balance check or you know the drill.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-16, 12:44 AM
Ohara mentally inventories his uncast spells. Crud, no grease prepared today today. Fortunately, there are other ways of dealing with goblins silly enough to climb a tree.

Ohara steps to the south east(Z8).

With a shout of "I got this goblin mage!", Ohara casts sleep(will sv DC 15) on the caster in the tree.

"Everyone ok?" Ohara asks, looking nervously over the battle line of wargs, goblins and wizards to his right.

Skorj
2009-10-16, 08:36 PM
Round 3 Continues

Villagers:

Micarral and John attack Worg 4, with John hitting for 7 damage. Sarak and James move to surround Worg 4 and continue the beatdown, with Sarak hitting for another 12. The elderly villagers in the wagon rain a dozen cobblestones down on Worg 4, hitting for another 8 points of damage and killing it.

Goblins:

Worg 2 pursues Ennaruma, scoring a nasty critical hit on a mirror image. Worg 3 staggers around in a circle, unable to find a target. Worg 5 charges Sarak, but misses his attack.

The goblins on Dog 6 decide they prefer non-teleporting opponents, and move closer to the rest of the party, throwing javelins at various Ennarumas. One javelin hits a mirror image (by my count, that leaves 2 images).

Dog 7 moves to attack Ohara, but the dog and both goblins miss. Dog 8 moves closer to the wagon. The goblin riders hurl their javelins at the Celestial Dog, but both miss.

Dog 9 falls prone, his riders struggling to keep from being scattered across the grease.

Goblin Caster 3 urges his mount to a gallop, and rides the length of the battlefield to a approach the wagon. He throws a flask, which seems to miss its target and land between Willie and Di’vai. The flask explodes, doing 7 points of damage to Willie, Di’via, and the Goblin prisoners, and singeing the mules. The fire continues to burn (anyone witnessing can make a spellcraft roll to learn more).

Goblin Caster 4 moves southeast, and up into the tree cover. He moves oddly, groping along his path as he moves as if blinded (which seems likely given he was just Dusted), but seemingly with no worry about falling. He would have vanished from view in the branches, except that he’s still glowing.

Goblin Caster 4 casts Fog Cloud so as to hide himself, and disappears from view (total concealment).

Note that the fog cloud spell stretches between 25 and 45 feet altitude: the ground is clear. I believe that disrupts Ohara’s Sleep spell.

The Fiendish Centipede moves to attack Raenith. It smites good with its bite, which unfortunately gives it no to-hit bonus, and it misses.

The Hippogriff leaves Ohara (perhaps not wanting to be too close to Tarric), and flies to where it can attack Moe, and threatens the Celestial Dog and the mules. The Hippogriff bites Moe for 7 damage.

Randorf has an action still on round 2 (technically, before the Goblins).

Current Stats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7116784#post7116784)

Current Map (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area03/AA03_R3-2.jpg)

Round 4 Begins - declare your actions

olentu
2009-10-17, 01:44 AM
[OOC: Previous round actions]

Randorf Markov draws Disgusting Potion of Healing from Haversack.

Then with a salute to the Celestial dog, riding,

Randorf Markov drinks Disgusting Potion of Healing; Heals (1d8+5)[7]

PId6
2009-10-17, 02:30 AM
Tarric

Tarric blinks in surprise at the sudden explosion of the flask below him, and tries to discern what that weapon was, all the while concerned for his friends below.

Spellcraft on Molotov Cocktail: (1d20+12)[16].

Skorj
2009-10-17, 03:30 AM
Tarric now regrets sleeping through Molotov's guest lecture at the academy.

Randorf regrets whatever he did to offend the god who personally despoiled this potion! You are dazed this round, trying to keep the potion down.

olentu
2009-10-17, 04:06 AM
Randorf Markov is dazed.

Celestial dog, riding bites at Hippogriff: (d20+5)[21], damage roll is (1d6+6)[7]

Celestial dog, riding disappears.

Yuki Akuma
2009-10-17, 07:19 AM
Ennaruma yelps as the Worg bites her! ... But then the Ennaruma that it bit vanishes into nothing, and Ennarum glares at it. She carefully steps back... "Stop eating my lovely illusions! [Gnome] Colour!" once again, she attacks with the power of rainbows!

5-foot step to T8. Color spray! (Will save DC 17) on Worg 2

1-2 HD: Unconscious, blind and stunned for (2d4)[6] rounds, then blind and stunned for one round, then stunned for one round.

3-4 HD: Blind and stunned for (1d4)[1] round, then stunned for one round.

5+ HD: Stunned for one round.

Ennaruma then loads another bolt into her crossbow, and aims it at the worg... but doesn't fire, because she's out of actions.

AC: 13, touch 13; 2 images; 20% miss chance

Mirror Image: 35 rounds.
Blur: 36 rounds

Eldariel
2009-10-17, 11:17 AM
Arathion

Arathion gives the bomb thrown a brief glance trying to figure out what it is.
Arathion's Spellcraft on the bomb (1d20+12)[15]

He isn't about to let the invisible caster escape though. With a grim look at the fires sprouting out in the wagon, he turns to the thrower of the potion and yells: "[Goblin] You will burn with hellfire!"

With that, he goes after the caster trying to cover himself in Fog Cloud to realize his threat (provided there hasn't been an audible *thump* from it dropping to Ohara's Sleep):
Arathion throws an Alchemist's Fire at the invisible caster's last known location:
(1d20+7)[21] (+2 from attacking as invisible)
(1d100)[94] (51 and higher hits)
Damage for Alchemist's Fire (1d6)[2]

Stats:

No concealment

Spells:
0. Acid Splash, Prestidigitation, Message, Message, Message

Abrupt Jaunt: 3/5

Stabby
2009-10-17, 06:49 PM
Moe cast a questioning glance at the flask as it crashes into the air, his eyes auto shuttering against the blinding flash.

Spellcraft roll (1d20+15)[26]

His attention then became diverted to a more immediate concern, a more personal concern, the Hippogriff. With an evil glare, Moe bestows a curse on his attacker. Taking a step back, he casts one of his last remaining spells.

As an immediate action, Moe uses Baleful Stare Will vs DC 17 or -2 to AC and Saves till end of my next turn.

On our turn, Moe takes 5 foot step to M13

Moe casts Blindness on the Hippogriff. Fort Save vs DC 18 or Blinded permanently.

HP: 10

Spells left:
1: Ray of Enfeeblement, Mage Armor, Cause Fear x2
2: Command Undead

Jalor
2009-10-17, 09:10 PM
Raenith snarls at the Fiendsh Centipede in disgust, but only a few sparks exit his maw. With a look of frustration, he backs away whilst maintaining his guard.

Withdraw action, move to U15 and wait for my stupid breath to recharge.

Skorj
2009-10-18, 10:38 PM
Round 4 so far:

Worg 2 is stunned and blinded by the power of rainbows! Worgs 2 and 3 take continued damage from Raenith’s earlier breath weapon.

Luck is with the Hippogriff as it manages to ward off the Blindness spell despite the dour look from Moe.

Moe recognizes the explosion as a Fire Trap spell, apparently combined with alchemists fire, as the fire still burns. They didn’t teach this one at the Academy!

Still to act: Di’vai
Karumin
Ohara
Tarric

PId6
2009-10-20, 12:27 AM
Tarric

Concerned for his friends and not seeing much else he can do at the moment, Tarric flies down to where Ennaruma is and lays a claw on her shoulder, casting a quick spell. A shimmering shield of force quickly surrounds her much like the one protecting him.

Tarric moves over Ennaruma's square (5 ft above) and casts Mage Armor on her, lasting 6 hours.

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-10-20, 04:50 PM
Time to take to the skys.
Cast levitate and moves 20 up.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-20, 10:42 PM
Ohara steps deftly to the south(5ft adjust to Z10), then fires a Scorching ray at the riding dog nearest him(DG7).

Attack roll: (1d20+6)[23]
Damage: (4d6)[13] fire damage.

He grins wildly, as the ray strikes home and shouts, "Ah, a bit of fire brings back the memories, eh chaps? All we need now is some booze, and it'll be just like old times!"

Spells Summary:

Conj Bonus Spells:
0: Light
1: Magic Missile
2: Scorching Ray

Normal Spell Complement:
0: 1xMage Hand, 1xFlare, 1xMending, 1x Detect Magic, 3xDaze
1: 1xShield, 1xMagic Missile, 1xSleep, 1xColor Spray
2: 1xScorching Ray, 1xFlaming Sphere, 1xProt Arrows

Skorj
2009-10-21, 02:03 AM
Round 4 so far

Karumin levitates to a position of some safety, at least from the ground forces, while Ennaruma gains the protection of Tarric’s Mage Armor spell.

Goblin Caster 2 fails to resist Ohara’s sleep spell, and falls out of the tree and his concealment. The landing wakes him, but the fall does 13 damage and he wakes up dead.

Ohara’s Scorching Ray kills the riding dog outright. The goblins stand over the body, and admire the sort of gnome that considers dog-barbecue the good old days.

Willie shouts at Di’vai, “Put that fire out, before the mules go insane!” Di’vai wonders what all the fuss is, but since Willie seems to know what he’s talking about he spends the round smothering the flames.

Willie makes a heroic effort to control the mules, and manages to keep them from bolting. He shouts “get those blind worgs!” at the villagers.

Willie’s stout lads surround and attack Worg 5. Sarak hits for 11 damage, killing it. The remaining Lads make quick work of its goblin rider.

The villagers with clubs surround Worg 3 and attack, but only manage to do 1 damage.

Does Arathion want to take a different action since the Sleep spell (somewhat unexpectedly) worked? The other caster is up to no good!

Current Stats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7164078#post7164078)

Current Map (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area03/AA03_R4-1.jpg)

Eldariel
2009-10-21, 11:58 AM
Arathion

Arathion throws the Alchemist's Fire at the back-Goblin on G7A instead. For speed, I'm just using the same rolls:

Arathion moves to AC4 and throws an Alchemist's Fire:
(1d20+7)[21] (-2 - no invisibility here)
Damage for Alchemist's Fire (1d6)[2] (it should splash the Dogs and two of the other Goblins too for 1 point)

Skorj
2009-10-21, 03:57 PM
Completing Round 4:

Worg 2 remains stunned. Worg 3 snaps at a villager, but misses due to his blindness.

The lead rider on Dog 9 surveys the battlefield and raises a horn to sound a blast. You’d guess it was a retreat, as he guides his mount slowly off the Grease and away from the battle. Dog 8 and riders also move to retreat. They throw javelins at Ohara, but the missiles are deflected harmlessly.

Dog 6 and the goblins formerly riding Dog 7, some of them still flaming, move to surround Arathion and attack! Arathion blinks away from the Goblin cavalry, but one goblin on foot hits with a morning star for 6 damage, and the dog bites for 5. The dog tries to pull Arathion to the ground – he must beat 16 on a Dex check or be tripped.

(How many Jaunts per day does Arathion get? Can he escape this?)

Goblin Caster 3 sics his centipede on Raenith. The fiend moves in to attack, but misses with his poison bite. Hades, what kind of loser centipede did I summon, thinks the Caster.

The Caster’s riding dog, Dog 0, attacks Di’vai, biting him for 4 damage and pulling him out of the wagon. (Di’vai fails to resist the trip attack and is pulled from his “mount”.)

“[Goblin] Hades take you for your failure!” chants Goblin Caster 3 as he casts his spell. He touches the dying caster prisoner and takes his life force, killing the caster prisoner. Goblin Caster 3 grows visibly stronger as he urges his mount away from the wagon, and towards the spot where the other caster fell from his tree.

The Hippogriff flies over to attack Moe, clawing him for 6 damage. With a *bamf* the Hippogriff disappears.

Note that Arathion, Moe, and Randorf have less than 10 HP right now.

Updated stats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7164078#post7164078)

Skorj
2009-10-21, 04:04 PM
Round 5

Here's the map (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area03/AA03_R5-1.jpg) at the start of round 5. (EDIT: oops, the Hippogriff shown on the map is in fact gone.)

Declare your actions everyone.

Eldariel
2009-10-21, 04:33 PM
Arathion

As the dog initiates its attack, Arathion once more draws upon his mastery of space and appears barely outside reach at AA3.

Immediate Action: Arathion Abrupt Jaunts to AA3.

[OOC: Note, I assume the Goblins riding will be unable to attack too unless they have ranged weapons at ready, but the two foot Goblins will be able to attack either way; either they attack before the Dog and thus aren't subjected to the Jaunt, or they attack after the Dog and can hit me in my new locale. If either of those attacks hit, I cannot avoid the damage.]

Goblin G7A BURNS! from Alchemist's Fire for (1d6)[4]

Arathion notices caster's flight and yells "[Draconic] We need to stop that one!"

With that, he moves to position and casts Grease to try and stall the caster and his Mount.

Move Action: Arathion moves to V4 tumbling to Z3 if necessary:
Arathion Tumbles for (1d20+7)[17] (At half speed)
Standard Action: Cast Grease at W7-X8. <DC 16 Reflex> (I'm assuming it hits the Worg too)

Stats:

HP: 12/24
No concealment

Spells:
0. Acid Splash, Prestidigitation, Message, Message, Message

Abrupt Jaunt: 2/5

Jalor
2009-10-21, 06:40 PM
Raenith snarls again, takes a step back, and spews a sizzling stream of acid at the centipede.

5-foot step to T15.

Raenith breathes acid at the centipede. (2d8)[11], DC 15 Reflex half, recharge in (1d4)[3].

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-10-22, 07:27 PM
Time to rest.
Karumin cast sleep at X8 hitting in a 10 foot burst Will 16
HP 17
AC20 FF17 T12
spells 0-4 1-5 2-5
0 level spells all srd
1 level spells all srd Mage Armor,Shield, Sleep

Skorj
2009-10-23, 01:49 PM
Round 5 Continues

Eldariel: note that I adjusted the round 4 description about for the Jaunt. The dog moved first, so you escape him and his riders, and don't need to resist the trip attack.

A flaming goblin facing Arathion dies sreaming as the flames continue to burn. Arathion tumbles away from the remaining goblin facing him, and casts Grease to stop the goblin caster. (Note: Grease is specifically a 10' square, so I don't see how you can get the worg.) The Goblin Caster's riding dog falls, but he remains standing above it.

Karumin begins casting Sleep (note that it won't complete until after the goblins act this turn - you can pick the location after they move, though I'd guess you want to track the caster).
Emboldened by Raenith's attack, several of Willie's stout lads rush to suround and attack the centipede as well. Micarrel hits for 3 damage.

The villagers around Worg 3 continue attacking, hitting for 8 total damage. Sarak moves in to finish the job, hitting for 12 damage and killing the Worg.

Di'vai stands up and, seeing the caster already Greased, does what he can to kill him.

Di'vai casts Magic Missile at the Goblin Caster, for (2d4+2)[5] damage, no save.

Willie finally gets a chance to use the heavy crossbow he's been carrying for two battles, and shoots at the caster, but misses.

Still to act on this round: Ennaruma
Moe
Ohara
Randorf
Tarric

Updated Stats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7164078#post7164078)

Current Map (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area03/AA03_R5-2.jpg)

olentu
2009-10-23, 05:24 PM
Randorf Markov stands up.

As the caster needs to be killed.

Randorf Markov takes a five foot step to (N,10)

Randorf Markov casts Summon Monster I summoning a Celestial dog at (S,6)

Randorf Markov says "attack that goblin on the grease" to the Celestial dog while motioning at the goblin caster.

Celestial dog charges to (W,6) and bites at the goblin caster: (d20+6)[26], damage roll is [roll]1d4+4[roll]

[OOC: This will also be a smite]

, damage roll is (1d4+4)[8]
+1 damage if target is evil

Celestial dog confirms critical hit (d20+6)[13].

If successful, bonus critical damage is (1d4+4)[5]
+1 damage if target is evil

[OOC: The dog's AC is reduced by two due to the charge. I believe this puts it at 13 for the moment]

Stabby
2009-10-25, 08:16 PM
Moe reaches into his backpack and fishes out a healing potion and pours it in a slot in his hip

Healing Potion (1d8+5)[11] only works for half so 5 total

Tyndmyr
2009-10-26, 12:41 PM
Emboldened by the success of the Scorching Ray, Ohara decides to repeat the manuever. Whistling jauntily, he 5ft adjusts to AA8, and blasts another goblin(the one in G7B) with another ray.

Attack roll: (1d20+6)[19]
Damage: (4d6)[19] fire damage.

PId6
2009-10-27, 03:18 AM
Tarric

Darting like a little hummingbird through the sky, Tarric whirls around the retreating caster and flies down for the hit, launching his little fangs straight at the goblin's neck. He can at least be a nuisance when out of spells, if nothing else.

Tarric makes a pathetic bite attack: Attack - (1d20+2)[15] Damage - (1d4-2)[0] (At least 1).

Skorj
2009-10-27, 03:16 PM
Goblin G7B explodes into steam as he is touched by the Scorching Ray.

The Goblin Caster cries out in pain as the Celestial Dog pops out of nowhere, charges him, and bites him viciously. He is further terrified as the dragon whose notice he had been hoping to avoid flies right for him and bites him in the face! Were it not for the life energy stolen from the prisoner, he’d be dead already.

Ennaruma has yet to act, but with the newly summoned dog the battle is basically over at this point. The remaining Worgs have no fight left in them, the centipede will expire this round, and the goblins on riding dogs will flee at max speed.

So, question for the party: will you take this Goblic Caster alive? One more good hit will likely put him into negatives, so it's your choice.

Eldariel
2009-10-27, 05:03 PM
Arathion

Spying the remaining Goblins fleeing, joy fills Arathion - the fight is won! Still, business remains: "Knock the caster out! He must take the place of the one he killed."

Once the battle is done, Arathion will be scanning the dead (one in the fog) caster's possessions.

Skorj
2009-10-27, 05:50 PM
"And his dog too!" shouts Willie.

The centipede disappears and the few surviving mounted goblins flee. The party subdues the Goblin Caster and his riding dog. The villagers put down the remaining worgs.

As the action calms, Willie explains "a war-trained riding dog will be mighty useful in defending the village, and I've been looking for a new pet."

On the dead caster, Arathion finds a suit of very nice studded leather armor (presumably magical given its cleanliness), 4 potions, a crystal amulet very similar to the one found earlier, and some coin.

Skorj
2009-10-30, 08:42 PM
After the goblin retreat, Arathion and Tarric carefully search the bodies and the prisoner for treasure. Willie muzzles the captive riding dog for future training.

Treasure:

Between all the goblins, you find the following.

Coin: 118 GP, 37 SP, 70 CP
Mundane items: about 50 pounds worth of gear, mostly weapons, worth 60 GP
From the captive caster: a magical morning star, a wand, 1 potion (looks like alchemists fire, radiates Abjuration, suspected firebomb), a large crystal amulet
From the "hidden" caster: magical studded leather, 4 potions (2 detect as both Illisuion and Abjuration, 2 as both Transmutation and Abjuration), a large crystal amulet
The crystal amulets are similar to the one you found earlier: not obviously magic, but radiate magic of no school under Detect Magic. Each a clear hexagonal rod about 1" across and 4" long, attached to a leather thong.

Skorj
2009-10-30, 09:08 PM
You collect and carefully label the treasure, bind the new captive, and reassemble around the wagon.

You once ahead head north, to the meeting point with the rest of the village. As the night wears on, you hear distant sound of battle continue, but slowly grow distant. After about 2 hous of travel, you approach the ancient ruins of Wyndmere.

Background: Wyndmere Ruins

You all know of the Wyndmere Ruins from your early life in the village. The legends say the ruins are more than 1000 years old, and they certainly pre-date the Dumian Empire. A town of moderate size once stood here, at a bend in the Wyndmere river near a bluff on which a tower once stood - a watchtower or a wizards keep, the stories vary.

The town was once of mostly stone construction, but the stones have mostly been taken by farmers for their own use, and all that's left are scattered foundation stones that suggest the shape of the buildings. Two points of interest remain: the tower and the bridge.

The Wyndmere bridge crosses the river where the road passes through town. The river flows through a steep valley in this area, perhaps 50 feet deep, which is quite difficult to cross except at the bridge. The valley would have made it labor intensive to haul water up to the town, and while the townn surely had fountains, perhaps pumped by some magic, no trace of such remains.

The bridge is a small wonder, made of long white stone slabs and bars (similar in shape to a bridge made of pre-stressed concrete, but the material has the consisancy of marble). It's unknown what material it's made of, but it's amazingly slender for stone construction, and has been only slightly weathered in the time it has stood here. The birdge glows faintly with a light of it's own, just visible on dark nights.

The Ghost Tower once stood on a low bluff nearby. The tower had a large underground workshop, which stories say remain uncollapsed. The tower itself is gone, fallen and the stones taken, but the foundation remains. The base of the tower, and the base of a wall that apparantly enclosed the tower grouns, are both made of the same unusual stone as the bridge, presumably formed by magic. It's said that on a moonless night (or perhaps on a night with a full moon, the stories vary) you can sometimes see the tower standing on the bluff, but translucent and ghostly.

Despite the obvious lure of the ancient ruins and ghost tower, none of you have done more than ride through this area before, because of the miniture giant ants. The mound stands about half a mile southeast of the area, and is said to be about 20 feet tall. The worker ants in this colony are about 2 feet in length, and there are thousands in the colony, which forages for an area for at least a mile around the mound, although the ants don't seem to cross the river. The ants have been here for about 30 years.

The ant queen is rumored to be intelligent, and the ants are quite aggressive in defending their territory, though it's known to be safe if you ride though the area without stopping. Brother Malcom has occasionally expressed an interest in communicating with the ant Queen, and you've seen him spend hours lost in thought about what ant intelligence would be like. The Queen hasn't shown any interest in chatting, however, leading to at least one hurried retreat by Brother Malcom.

Map of Wyndmere area (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area04/AA04_Wyndmere.jpg)

Skorj
2009-11-01, 02:52 PM
Wyndmere Ruins Area

It's just before midnight when the party arrives in the Wyndmere ruins area (see the map linked in the previous post). The air has become unseasonably cold and clammy, and you see a fog has risen off the river. The many fires of the refuge camp a mile or two distant turn the fog into an orange glow. You see the faint white glow of the Wyndmere bridge, and as you draw closer one of the villagers gasps.

"Look, It's the Ghost Tower!" Sure enough, off to the northeast you see a shimmering, translucent column of light. It's very faint, but clearly there's some truth to the legends. The villagers stare in rapt fascination for several minutes, before Willie interrupts your thoughts.

"Listen up everyone!" he says sharply. "We're coming into ant county, and two foot long ants are something to take seriously. We can't fit everyone on the wagon, so whatever happens, keep moving towards the bridge. If the ants attack, run as fast as you can to cross the river. Let them see that they're chasing you off, and maybe they'll be satisfied with that - the whole village made it across, so it can't be too bad."

With some apprehension the party walks towards the bridge and into the area that the ants patrol, but in the event there's no trouble from the ants at all. For all the stories of their aggressiveness, the few ants you see from the road simply ignore you. "I wonder whether Brother Malcom had somehting to do with this," ponders Willie, "he seems a man of surprising depths today."

You cross the Wyndmere bridge safely, with many still wondering at the indistinct form of the ghostly tower on the bluff.

Skorj
2009-11-01, 05:32 PM
Stonedown Refugee Camp

"Who comes?" a gruff voice challenges as you cross the bridge.

"Friends of this ground!" answers Willie. You see about a dozen soldiers in the livery of the Baron's guard step out of concealment and fog near the bridgehead, hard men of long service. "More from Stonedown seeking shelter."

"A wonder for a night of wonders," says the leader of the squad, who's somewhat finer dress marks him as a sergeant. "We had thought you lost to the goblins." As the party moves out of the fog, he says "It that? Two-Eyed Willie, as I live and breathe!"

"Aye, and a welcome sight you are Sergeant Jenkins," responds Willie. "How many did the Baron send?"

"Thirty men," replies Sergeant Jenkins, "too few against a serious gobilin assault, but this is not the only camp to guard this night." You know that as a noble recognized by the Dumian government, Baron Spud is permitted to retain a "century" of men to keep order in his barony. "Come, Brother Malcom asked that you be brought to him straightaway if you arrived tonight."

You move through the quiet camp. Most of the villagers are sleeping under makeshift shelters, but there is a knot of activity around Brother Malcom. "Welcome to Stonedown, such as it is," Brother malcom greets you. "I'm so glad you made it. You must tell me the details of what you saw tonight; are there many wounded?" He moves in among you, preparing a wand, when he catches sight of the statue. "You brought Athena! This changes everything. But first things first."

Brother Malcom casts Lessor Vigor (from a wand) on all wounded party members and villagers.

Willie gives a brief summary of the night's events, while Brother Malcom moves to the statue, and groping Athena in a manner clearly inappropriate for a clergyman, speaks a command word. With a pop, a panel on the statue opens, and Malcom reaches inside - further inside than the size of the statue! All these years, you never knew Athena was a Statue of Holding.

Brother Malcom withdraws several scrolls, a velvet pouch of the sort commonly used to carry diamonds for spell components, and the long cord used to create the Teleportal that links you to the Arcane Academy. "You have saved more lives than you know this night," exclaims Brother Malcom with joy.

"I must contact the Count's men, they will want to hear of what you've encountered tonight, and perhaps question your captive." Malcom continues, "but that will take a couple of hours to arrange, and I fear I have a task to ask of you in the meantime." He leads the party away from the resting villagers to an area with a little privacy.

"I fear something may be happening at the ruins of the tower related to tonight's invasion." He leans close "and I don't mean the ghostly tower. When you see its secrect, don't ruin it for the villagers, they need some wonder tonight. No, I think someone at work in the ruins, and I fear what mischief they could cause here tonight. I don't want to send the soldiers, as that might just provoke whatever threat may be there."

He considers the various mages forming the party. "But you, friends, may be able to observe what's going on at the tower without being spotted. Would you observe the tower ruins for me, taking care to be stealthy? I may have transport to a warm bed at the Academy for you by the time you return." A warm bed is about the most marvelous thing you can imagine right now.

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-11-01, 06:35 PM
" We should go to tower but can I see those scrolls first?"

Eldariel
2009-11-01, 06:51 PM
Arathion

Arathion addresses Malcom with great relief in his voice: "I truly cannot begin to express how glad I am to see you, Malcom. I'm fairly sure I'm speaking for all of us here when I say this was far from the homecoming I was expecting, and being here at least gives us an illusion of situation where we are not the first line of defense."

After hearing of Malcom's account and the mention of the Tower: "We expended more resources than strictly necessary in the fights to try and take down as much of the leadership of the strike forces as possible; it felt like our best bet to buy us time to get here. I feel we did quite well - we only got assaulted twice even with our hefty load to carry - but it also means we have mostly spent our spells already. I can remain unnoticed without an inkling of magic on me, but the rest...", Arathion gestures around, "I think the others have spent more of their time actually studying something more immediately useful to our profession. I think what we'd really need right now are some combat wands just in case...though of course we'll try to avoid combat first. Just sometimes that's not an option; do you happen to have anything of use hidden away? We are quite ill-prepared for war given only half a day ago we were celebrating our return home and the semester's end. Though I am happy to finally get an excuse to check the Ghost Tower out up close; it is quite fascinating indeed, with the legends of the Wizard."

Arathion also quips at Tarric: "By the way, I think it might be best to identify the Wands we've found on the Goblins, or at least one given they're likely the same; mayhap they could be of help to us here. I remember you excelling in the Identify-spell being actually able to cast it without the diamond."

Skorj
2009-11-02, 02:21 AM
"I fear I have only healing magic stored away in wands and scrolls," says Brother Malcom, "and tonight such savings proved it's worth. Surely we should avoid any contact with anything hostile in the tower, but if you have some way to approach undetected, or spy from a distance, that would be perfect."

"I can become invisible for a few seconds" says Di'vai, "but I'm not sure that can help. Oh, I know, I could scout with my raven! Although he doesn't see the best at night, and might be a little suspicious. Well, maybe someone has a better plan - planning was never my best thing."

Eldariel
2009-11-02, 03:29 AM
"Well, at least those Wands have come in handy. If we cannot really fight anyways, mayhap I should go on ahead alone?", Arathion suggests looking at the others questioningly, "There's enough cover that I remain unnoticed and in moonlight, elven eyes are more than a match for anything that might lurk nigh'. Besides, I still have some magic left quite suited for escaping should things go awry. Though I would welcome company at least to the edges of the area with the Ants around."

olentu
2009-11-03, 06:35 AM
Randorf Markov "Thanks" to Brother Malcom when he gets healed.

Then, after the mission is explained, Randorf thinks for a moment and then says "Ah quite an intriguing problem to remain relatively undetected. Unfortunately my current skill gives a range of only about 400 ft were I to summon a scout with my most powerful spells. Even that would only allow a quick overflight. It would likely be better to conserve my spells to provide backup should a problem arise."

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-03, 07:36 AM
Ennaruma audibly cracks her joints when she's healed, grimacing. "Gnomes weren't made for hiking. Give me a burrow any day..." She listens, rubbing her temples as she tries to fight off her weariness. "...Well, I'm stealthier than most, but... well, my stores of magic are waning. I only really have a few petty illusions that would serve more to tip the goblins off to our presence than anything."

She hms. "I have an invisibility illusion prepared. It'll only last four minutes, but if we can get close enough that shouldn't be too bad." The gnome woman stands again, stretching. "And then I can go about cleaning that gear we captured from the goblins. It's digusting."

Skorj
2009-11-03, 03:04 PM
"Four minutes should be more than enough time to see if anything is unusual or amiss on the tower grounds," says Brother Malcom, "but I urge you all to be careful aproaching the tower as well. I doubt there are goblins nearby, as they're just not that subtle, but if some enemy is lurking he might have scouts." Malcom thinks about this for a moment. "Take care with the ants as well. I don't know why they are passive right now, or when that might end. I wish I knew whether these things were connected." He stares off into space for a minute, apparantly pondering this, reminding you more of the man you've known for years.

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-11-03, 04:06 PM
"We elves always have extra magic prepared so I can help plus with my elvish grace sneaking would be a little breeze. Ha ha ha ha." So when should we go and sneak in?"

Eldariel
2009-11-05, 09:41 AM
Arathion replies to Malcom: "Wait, are you saying you haven't pacified the Ants? We were sure it was you. Maybe there's some other power at works here? Though it would make sense if someone is at the tower; you can't very well use the tower area for anything without dealing with the Ants. Mayhap the Goblins or their allies? They are active in this area, seems unlikely another unaffiliated group could act here efficiently. And they certainly had spellcasters in the combats so I suppose they might have the capability to pacify the Ants.". Arathion thinks for a moment stroking an imaginary beard - a habit he's picked up from certain academy instructors.

"May be more fruitful to just make the expedition and find out, I suppose. We'll be all the wiser afterwards." With that, he turns to the rest of the Wizards: "We should approach assuming there are some hostile creatures at the tower, and that they are actively looking for intruders. It seems unlikely that they wouldn't know of at least this camp. As such, we'll want to be as stealthy and use as much cover as we can."

He continues: "I propose we approach by the river banks; they should at least provide us with some degree of cover from detection and are reasonably defensible should things come down to combat. Given we only have one casting of Invisibility available and most of you aren't very silent even if you have a gift for staying out of sight, it seems excessively risky to go all the way as a team." He delves into thought for a moment and continues: ""I propose we all approach to the river banks near the tower together, and the rest of the team waits there while I make a swift jaunt to the tower to see what's going on. Someone's familiar could tag along; as I understand, they can communicate their emotions to you from great distances meaning he could communicate if we end up in trouble. Other familiars and Di'vai's Raven could probably keep a watch around the river banks to make sure you stay safe."

"With sufficient cover, I wouldn't even need the invisibility, but we'll see once we're there. If I don't, the familiar tagging along could be made invisible instead, though small one could fit into my pocket just fine and thus be invisible under the same spell. Either way, I feel silence is at least as important as staying out of sight here and provided we don't have a spell to circumvent that, I should probably go. If trouble arises, I suggest we use disruptive magic to cover a quick escape and make for the bridge." Arathion adds a word on plans in case things go wrong: "If trouble arises at your position while I'm gone, you make your escape and let me know; I'll try to skulk back on my own I can probably cross the river with my two remaining teleportations combined with some actual swimming, so if worst comes to worst, I'll try and return that way. Of course, hopefully none of this will be necessary and things go as planned. Though if anyone has any better ideas, I'm all ears. If not, I suggest we get going."

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-05, 11:23 AM
Ennaruma considers Arathion for a while. "...I'm too tired to think of any objections. So sure, I concur." She sighs a little biit. "Why don't I have a familiar...?"

She pauses. "Oh, right. I skipped that class to read in the library. Madame Fugue's Chains of Disbelief - A Study On Illusion was enlightening enough to be worth it, but still..." She pouts! "I want a cute fuzzy animal."

olentu
2009-11-05, 07:29 PM
Randorf says "I have nothing better so let us go with that."

Eldariel
2009-11-06, 04:52 AM
"Heh, Enn, that makes two of us. I intend on acquiring a familiar myself once I can spare the time to figure it all out. I've always liked the sound of 'a loyal companion', and one could help me with...well, everything 'cause as I understand, they are sort of the owner's extension so they can do all the owner can do. Considering my wide range of skills, that could be exceedingly helpful."

He sighs: "If only dimensional travel wasn't so much more intriguing... Though I'll have to say, being able to alter reality certainly has its boons; being somewhere else when those morningstar-waving brutes hack away certainly saved my bacon today, so I can't really complain."

Skorj
2009-11-06, 03:54 PM
Arathion, Di'vai, Ennaruma, Karumin, and Randorf set off for the bridge. Pausing briefly at the guards, you explain that you're going to investigate the tower at Brother Malcom's suggestion, and will be coming back across the bridge soon, possibly at a dead run.

Crossing the bridge, you descend into the river valley to approach the tower. There is plenty of cover in the valley, and Arathion skulks ahead a ways to get advanced warning of possible enemy scouts while Di'vai's raven circles low, checking for anyon approaching the party. In this manner you reach the closest approach to the tower without incident. You see an ant or two along the way, but they don't seem to notice you.

Map again (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area04/AA04_Wyndmere.jpg) - the party is at P9, more or less

The tower grounds sit on a steep rise, about 50 feet higher than the surrounding land. Near the river this slope merges with the slop of the river valley. You could climb it easily, but there is little cover. From the top of the rise it's about 300 yards to the tower grounds, with sparse low cover to hide behind (but you can still make hide rolls against anything without night vision).

If you cast invisibility here, you would only be able to get to the tower and back in 4 minutes at a dead run, but you could hustle to the tower, and still have some time to poke around on the grounds in that time, or if you see a real threat withdraw far enough to hide in some bushes.

Looking at the tower from this distance, you see the secret of the "ghost tower"; the (clearly magical) foundation stones of the tower are shining upwards with a bright and directed light. In the fog cover it looks very much like a glowing tower, but there's nothing there above knee-high. You see no other lights, but in the fog you'll have to get closer to see if anyone or anything is on the tower grounds.

So, how specifically will you approach the tower grounds? We'll call it 900 feet from where you are now to what used to be the wall surrounding the tower area.

Eldariel
2009-11-10, 08:35 AM
Arathion will approach for about 400' with Ennaruma trying to find some decent cover to hide behind. Then, once the Invisibility is cast, Arathion will hustle towards the Tower until he's ~100' away at which point he slows down to walking speed. Rest depends on what he sees around at the Tower.

Move Silently while approaching: (1d20+5)[21]
Hide while approaching: (1d20+5)[14]

Move Silently at the tower: (1d20+10)[15]
Hide at the tower: (1d20+30)[43] (invisibility)

Skorj
2009-11-11, 05:37 PM
The tower area is flat and grassy. The magical foundation stones of the ancient tower and surrounding walls rise 2-3 feet above the ground. Low ground cover and small trees grow here and there, but it's mostly open ground.

As Arathion approaches the tower grounds, he begins to make out shapes in the fog. He sees half a dozen shock lizards dozing in the area of the tower (and more could possibly be hidden next to a wall). As he approaches a shock lizard briefly raises its head at the noise, but seeing nothing it soon dozes off again.

The area also has several ants. While he sees less than a dozen, this is the first concentraion of ants the party has seen. As Arathion watches, one ant descends under the tower grounds, walking down a ramp made of the same magically preserved stone as the walls. The ants aren't in any hurry, as far as you can see, but do all seem to be wandering more or less in the direction of the ramp. The ants and the lizards are currently ignoring one another.

Map of the tower grounds. (http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/Skorj/ArcaneAdventurers/Area04/AA04_Tower0.jpg)

Arathion is just off the left edge of the map at this point. I've described what he sees from there. Shock lizards aren't native to this area - you've heard that they live quite some distance to the north, neat the mountains, but the only one you've ever seen was a familiar of an Academy instructor.

Eldariel
2009-11-11, 05:42 PM
[OOC: About how long is there left of the Invisibility? Also, there are no Ants currently in the pictured area, correct? Other than the one descending underground.]