PDA

View Full Version : Help with homebrew planes please!

Fortuna
2009-09-15, 03:47 AM
Hi all!

I am relatively new to 3.5 as a whole, and homebrewing in particular. I want to make some new elemental planes. To clarify: In my campaign, the number of planes is literally infinite, and so with sufficient searching any plane may be found. However, there are a number of elemental planes which I would like to stat up fairly soon (i.e. the next couple of weeks.) I have no idea of where to start, but I am willing to learn!

At the moment I need
Elemental plane of Plasma

Things that people have helped me build/find
Plane of Happiness (Calmar)
Plane of Unhappiness (Calmar)

Thanks in advance!

Rainbownaga
2009-09-15, 04:24 AM
The first thing is to work out how these concepts would manifest as actual planes of existence.

What does happiness mean?

I would imagine the emotional planes would involve a will save to avoid being overwhelmed by the associated emotion, but what kind of life would exist in a plane of happiness/sadness, and what kind of features would there be.

Calmar
2009-09-15, 05:25 AM
Plane of Happiness
Plane of Unhhappiness

Sounds like the Blessed Fields of Elysium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elysium_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29) and the Gray Waste of Hades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Waste), respectively. :smallwink:

Fortuna
2009-09-15, 02:52 PM
@Calmar: Thanks, those will work nicely. Still looking for help with the elemental plane of plasma though.

Boci
2009-09-15, 03:03 PM
@Calmar: Thanks, those will work nicely. Still looking for help with the elemental plane of plasma though.

Mixture of the elemental plane of water and positive energy?

Kuma Kode
2009-09-15, 03:31 PM
Mixture of the elemental plane of water and positive energy?
I don't think blood plasma was what Random meant, but that's valid.

Water + Positive Energy = Plasma (blood)
Fire + Positive Energy = Plasma (superheated material)
Air + Positive Energy = Plasma (electricity)

Calmar
2009-09-15, 06:59 PM
The elemental plane of plasma would most likely consist mainly of plasma.
If it borders to neighbouring planes, like the standard elemental planes do, then there are probably para- and quasi elemental "mix-planes", too. (like earth + water = ooze)

What does plasma do or represent?

Fortuna
2009-09-17, 03:38 AM
Fire, but more so. It is uncontrolled, uncontrollable destruction, and nothing can stand in its way. As such, I think that positive energy, being the plane of nice healy stuff, doesn't really fit with plasma.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-17, 06:28 PM
Fire, but more so. It is uncontrolled, uncontrollable destruction, and nothing can stand in its way. As such, I think that positive energy, being the plane of nice healy stuff, doesn't really fit with plasma.

Have you read the description of the Plane of Positive Energy? :smallamused: Even though healing magic is, yes, positive energy, the Plane of Positive Energy isn't nice. It heals you UNTIL YOU EXPLODE.

Anyway, from what you've said about plasma...

Elemental Plane of Plasma
The Elemental Plane of Plasma has the following traits:
Subjective directional gravity.
Fire-dominant: The heat and kinetic energy of the Plane of Plasma is beyond description. In most areas, unprotected creatures take 10d6 fire damage per round. More importantly, creatures usually immune to fire still take half damage; the fire damage of this plane is beyond the scope of most creatures' comfort with fire. Only a very few monsters native to the plane are entirely unaffected by its harsh, destructive nature.
Enhanced magic. Spells and spell-like abilities with the fire descriptor are both maximized and enlarged (as if the Maximize Spell and Enlarge Spell had been used on them, but the spells don’t require higher-level slots). Spells and spell-like abilities that are already maximized or enlarged are unaffected by this benefit.
Impeded magic. Spells and spell-like abilities that use or create water (including spells of the Water domain and spells that summon water elementals or outsiders with the water subtype) are impeded.

You might want to throw some blindness effects in there too for those even briefly exposed to the plane. I'd imagine that apart from a few aberrations and elementals, the only individuals who reside on the planes live in extremely well-protected (magically & mundanely) dwellings which float through the plane.

Could you tell us a bit about death in your setting? Do souls go to the planes when they die? I simply ask because one of the major functions of planes in the Great Wheel is a home for souls after death on the Material Plane.

Finally, if you need some more general planes, since you are going for an infinite line of them, I am working on a few I'd be happy to share. In particular, I've been fleshing out a hellish desert plane. Let me know if you'd be interested. :smallsmile:

Fortuna
2009-09-18, 03:22 AM
That sounds awesome, thanks alot!

Essentially, death works however the soul believes it does, but after normal death the soul will always be available for ressurection (even if the soul reincarnated, all that happens is that the reincarnation is "put on hold" via A God Did It).