PDA

View Full Version : Creating Spell Traps [3.5]

OverWilliam
2009-09-15, 04:57 AM
Ok, so I was reading through the Logic Ninja's Guide to Being Batman and I came across this nugget:

-Craft Trap: this feat doesn't exist. The rules for creating one-shot and repeating spell-traps are in the DMG, and don't require a feat. If you're wondering what a good thing to trap is, try YOUR SPELLBOOK. That, or everything someone you don't like owns.

He goes on to mention using such spells as Teleport, Insanity, Geas, and Arcane Mark as Traps placed on your Spellbook to keep naughty people from reading your Diary.

So that made me think 'Cool, so can I turn any spell I have into a trap version? What if I'm a Cleric? Other class?'

I started reading the SRD/DMG about traps, but then I found this:

Designing A Trap

Magic Traps
As with mechanical traps, you don’t have to do anything other than decide what elements you want and then determine the CR of the resulting trap (see Table: CR Modifiers for Magic Traps). If a player character wants to design and construct a magic trap, he must have the Craft Wondrous Item feat. In addition, he must be able to cast the spell or spells that the trap requires—or, failing that, he must be able to hire an NPC to cast the spells for him.

So which is it? Can a Wizard (or other caster?) cast any spell they have as a Trap version (presumably with an XP cost for the privilege), or does one have to have the Craft Wonderous Item feat first? Could the Craft Wonderous Item feat be referring only to Magic Device traps? What is the difference?

The only Spell Traps listed in the examples are spells like Sepia Snake Sigil or various Glyph spells, which are specifically Traps to begin with; any other form of Spell used in a trap (a Fireball trap, for example) is listed as a Magic Device trap. Does this mean that only spells that are listed in their description as a Trap can be used as Spell Traps and all others must be Magic Device Traps?

Bayar
2009-09-15, 07:15 AM
Does this mean that only spells that are listed in their description as a Trap can be used as Spell Traps and all others must be Magic Device Traps?

Well, I could say yes.

Plus, a wizard wont necesarily cound Craft Wondrous Item a waste of a feat since alot of things can be made with that.

Other classes could do it too, if they had spellcasting.

The cleric could make a "Create food and water trap" with a automatic reset so he can provide food for the masses. Or a cure serious wounds trap with automatic reset for healing that is cheaper and faster then Lesser Vigor.

OverWilliam
2009-09-15, 01:42 PM
Ok, so I imagine Spell Traps (or, in this case Magic Device Traps too, I guess) to mostly be stuff like Explosive Runes or Sepia Snake Sigil, that is something written on a flat surface instead of a real 'device' sort of thing. Like, mostly combinations of runes/patterns and expensive inks and powders used in scribing said runes that hold the magic until it is dispelled (therefore being practical for a Spellbook). Would this be accurate?

Also, why did Logic Ninja apparently think no feat was required...? :smallconfused:

Ok, so here's the twist. So long as it is for a one-shot trap only, could I use a Scroll of a spell I don't actually know myself for the Spell component? :smallbiggrin:

Zeta Kai
2009-09-15, 01:45 PM
Ah, spell traps. The first step in opening a portal to the Tippyverse...

Curmudgeon
2009-09-15, 07:14 PM
So which is it? Can a Wizard (or other caster?) cast any spell they have as a Trap version (presumably with an XP cost for the privilege), or does one have to have the Craft Wonderous Item feat first? If you're doing anything other than just casting spells, you must have Craft Wondrous Item.
Spell traps are simply spells that themselves function as traps. Creating a spell trap requires the services of a character who can cast the needed spell or spells, who is usually either the character creating the trap or an NPC spellcaster hired for the purpose. Here's an example of a spell trap:
This powerful inscription harms those who enter, pass, or open the warded area or object. A glyph of warding can guard a bridge or passage, ward a portal, trap a chest or box, and so on.

You set the conditions of the ward. Typically, any creature entering the warded area or opening the warded object without speaking a password (which you set when casting the spell) is subject to the magic it stores. Alternatively or in addition to a password trigger, glyphs can be set according to physical characteristics (such as height or weight) or creature type, subtype, or kind. Glyphs can also be set with respect to good, evil, law, or chaos, or to pass those of your religion. They cannot be set according to class, Hit Dice, or level. Glyphs respond to invisible creatures normally but are not triggered by those who travel past them ethereally. Multiple glyphs cannot be cast on the same area. However, if a cabinet has three drawers, each can be separately warded.

When casting the spell, you weave a tracery of faintly glowing lines around the warding sigil. A glyph can be placed to conform to any shape up to the limitations of your total square footage. When the spell is completed, the glyph and tracery become nearly invisible.

Glyphs cannot be affected or bypassed by such means as physical or magical probing, though they can be dispelled. Mislead, polymorph, and nondetection (and similar magical effects) can fool a glyph, though nonmagical disguises and the like can’t. Read magic allows you to identify a glyph of warding with a DC 13 Spellcraft check. Identifying the glyph does not discharge it and allows you to know the basic nature of the glyph (version, type of damage caused, what spell is stored).

Note: Magic traps such as glyph of warding are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find the glyph and Disable Device to thwart it. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 28 for glyph of warding.

Depending on the version selected, a glyph either blasts the intruder or activates a spell.

Blast Glyph
A blast glyph deals 1d8 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d8) to the intruder and to all within 5 feet of him or her. This damage is acid, cold, fire, electricity, or sonic (caster’s choice, made at time of casting). Each creature affected can attempt a Reflex save to take half damage. Spell resistance applies against this effect.

Spell Glyph
You can store any harmful spell of 3rd level or lower that you know. All level-dependent features of the spell are based on your caster level at the time of casting the glyph. If the spell has a target, it targets the intruder. If the spell has an area or an amorphous effect the area or effect is centered on the intruder. If the spell summons creatures, they appear as close as possible to the intruder and attack. Saving throws and spell resistance operate as normal, except that the DC is based on the level of the spell stored in the glyph. All you have to do to set up a Glyph of Warding is to cast that spell, and possibly a second spell that GoW triggers. That's it: just spellcasting. Anything more complex requires the feat.