PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy with 100,000gp?

oxinabox
2009-09-15, 08:01 AM
so one of the games i'm playing (3.5 dnd) in has taken a turn for the OP.
I missed two sessions (I was out of town), mean will everyone randomly aquired a template (rolled for it) without LA.
I got one when i returned today.

alignment not being being affected by templates:
There are some stupid things in play; the fighter is now a fire lich thing, the psion's a vampire, the wildmage became a pixie (he actually aquired his new race a differnent way, it's complex and kinda stupid), the rogue became a 'perfect halfelf,', the sorceress (dms gf...:smallconfused:) became a Arch Dragon, as the template couldn't affect humans the dm the also made her a True Dragon (i don't know the exact wording on this as i wasn't there when it happened, but i think (hope) all her newabilities are coming in gradually).
Oh, and the Cleric Became a Saint (BoED) which is insane, SR15+HD, means partial casters, like bards, Paladins, duskblades, cant actually touch her with magic. + large resistances to everything.

I'm now playing a warlock lvl 10, HalfDragon.
interstingly 1HD pixie>lvl 10 human warlock, in terms of class features.

All my HD were upped to d12s, so I'm now on 116 HP (wichs is so OP it's not funny, but at the moment doesn't look to broken the way this games going)
and immunity to electricity.
Large STR bonus, being it most notable trait (STR, wonderful for warlocks /sarcasm), but eh, something you have good luck sometimes bad.

And when rolling for treasure, well I got Good Luck.
So I now have ~100,000gp to spend (in the form of a heavily enchanted shield (not prof.) but a houserule says we magic items at sell at full price)

Now RP terms i see no reason why my character wouldn't just hire a wizard to cast permanence Magic Mansion, and Happily Retire.
but that's not so good for the plot.

whgat should I get:

notable stats for my warlock:

Mithral fullplate(I have the Feats for casting in it)
Chasible of fell power
DR 5/cold iron
Resist 5, Fire, Cold
Fell flight invocation
Best stat is Dex 22
Cha 16, but no point increasing these as warlocks don't get bonus spells

I guess i could get a Dark Blast Shape Rod.
or a Golem Manual

FinalJustice
2009-09-15, 09:00 AM
If you're already claiming brokeness, why not go all out, so you can keep up with Mrs. Crazy ArchDragon?

Get a Thought Bottle and craft away the rest. Create custom Staves with buff spells. Get a custom +10 item of UMD. Get a staff with the Holy Word/Blasphemy line, and use it as a tactical nuke. With your Warlock UMD, you are looking at really, really b0rked CL to insta-kill people that look funny at you. Just don't overdo it.

Please evaluate whether this fits in your game, as it is a gamebreaker. I myself refrain from using Holy Word/Blasphemy/Dictum with pimped UMD when I play, but there ya go.

Edit: Forgot: You have to get the Craft Wondrous Item feat. (You should, anyway) :D

Keshay
2009-09-15, 09:10 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the HD change to d12 should only be for racial HD, it does not effect your class HD. Does that help alleviate some of the overpowerdness?

Here's the relevant quote from SRD:

Hit Dice
Increase base creature’s racial HD by one die size, to a maximum of d12. Do not increase class HD.

Hope that helps!

ericgrau
2009-09-15, 10:33 AM
I'd get something crazy, have fun with it for a couple sessions, then if it seems like the power level is over the top, realize that this'll get dull fast and make a motion to start a new campaign.

Keshay
2009-09-15, 11:27 AM
Now RP terms i see no reason why my character wouldn't just hire a wizard to cast permanence Magic Mansion, and Happily Retire.
but that's not so good for the plot.

I say do it. If your DM will allow MMM to be permanenced, do it. It'll only run you 19300gp (minimum level 15 caster to permance a 7th level spell, and I assume you'll be using the same guy for both the Mansion and Permanancy castings, espically considering the cost to cast the Mansion is a pittance compared to the Perm. Also, you'd only save 200gp, with 80kgp left over that would be pretty stingy. And you'll want the most floor space possible.).

If anything it will serve to illustrate that perhaps the game is getting a little too Mony Haul.

Only problem with the plan is that there's nothing to say that the food regenerates, or that the furniture is indestructable, so you'd still have to buy groceries and replacement pieces. You'd be better off just buying a nice place in the country and investing the rest, starting a business, or whotnot.

JeenLeen
2009-09-15, 03:20 PM
I say do it. If your DM will allow MMM to be permanenced, do it. It'll only run you 19300gp (minimum level 15 caster to permance a 7th level spell, and I assume you'll be using the same guy for both the Mansion and Permanancy castings, espically considering the cost to cast the Mansion is a pittance compared to the Perm. Also, you'd only save 200gp, with 80kgp left over that would be pretty stingy. And you'll want the most floor space possible.).

If anything it will serve to illustrate that perhaps the game is getting a little too Mony Haul.

Only problem with the plan is that there's nothing to say that the food regenerates, or that the furniture is indestructable, so you'd still have to buy groceries and replacement pieces. You'd be better off just buying a nice place in the country and investing the rest, starting a business, or whotnot.

You could have a/some 'trap(s)' of Hero's Feast build within the MMM. Or, if you don't care about amassing things in the MMM, a 'trap' of it would be interesting.
If you want variety, some differently set up traps of Create Food and Water with Prestigitation for flavouring.

Edit/addition: I know some items that enhance your Eldritch Blast exist in Magic Item Compendium, but they're not really expensive at your current income.
You can set yourself up with a lot of good magic items. +6 to stats are 36,000 gp, so you can get a couple of those in addition to whatever else you might need. 25000 for +5 to saves. If you don't think you'll run into Dispel Magic a lot, maybe some permanenced Resist Energy to give you more defenses to go with your electricity immunity.

Also, Gnome Twist-Cloth (0% arcane failure, no dex limit) with Heavy Fort is nice. A Crystal of Greater Lifekeeping installed in it gives you a bonus to a lot of the more deadly Fort saves. If warlocks can wear light armor--I can't remember--you could something giving more AC but less Dex.

oxinabox
2009-09-15, 11:40 PM
MY warlock is in Mithral full plate ( took the feats, this was a low power build)
The DM houseruled the HD, i guess, he explicity said i could.

Oh yeah, a bit more OP that happened: (this is actually monty haul)
We went to a plane where we wereres tuck while our ship was repaired.
the Monks there freely trained us in what ever we wanted.
the Rogue learned to sneak attack from 60 ft (not that op)
and the Fighter gained TWF and ITWF, (and i think Penalty to weild an nonlight weapon in off hand has been house ruled out, but TWF isn't thaat great for fighterts any way so)
I learnt to Quicken 1 spell like ability 3/day (basically the feat from the MM for free)
and the Spell casters Learnt MetaMagic Quicken but that only raised the spell 2 slots instead of 4.

The Responce to what would happen if i let my character retire, was "Ok, roll a new character no WBL, (the correct counter to that is to Roll a Holyier than the saint VoP, tadlisha Monk Psywarrior but that would still be underpowered)

Motions to begin new campaign will be rejected, everyone else is happy with the power leval, and the dm has been working a fair bit on this.
He's wanted to OP the game...

I might repeat, Stat bonuses are next to useless to Warlock, compair to any other caster cos no bonus spells.

Then again i guess: +6 Cha puts my Bluff above the Archdragons (she is stacking Charisma bonus items: I think hers carisma is now ~30. with 7 ranks in bluff. vis my 13 ranks in bluff Cha 18 atm)

and then Rod of Eldritch Power Dark: = 64,000 gp
Utterdark blast essance: Fort Save or Gain 2 negitive lvls. (Wow, this is the warlocks most powerfully attack...)
or Binding Blast: Will save or become stunned for 1 round (a fair bit better)
that's actually not that OP.
By chaining it i can Shutdown 3 + 3 more with quicken spelllike ability.

Anyone know of any items to let me overcome spell reistance when using eldritch blast?

EDIT:
If i did retire.
I would Roll a>
VoP, VoPeace, Earth Mephit Factotum.
Maybe invest in some of that if skill from OA.

Pump My Wis and Dex, and Watch as things beat themselves to death trying to hurt me.
then use massive Cha to ask them to stop
Druid would work too

PinkysBrain
2009-09-15, 11:52 PM
How about retraining into an Eldritch Glaive fighter? You're perfectly set up for that now.

Zaydos
2009-09-16, 12:06 AM
Well at 11th level you can get Vitriolic Blast invocation; but I don't know an item that really helps. Maybe an orange ioun stone (+1 competence bonus to CL) and I think there is a ring in the magic item compendium that grants a +2 enhancement bonus to CL versus SR.

Also I have to shamefully confess that I've given my girlfriend benefits before... in my defense two of the other players told me to (and while there was technically I think 5 players at the time 1 slept through the game more often than not). Still felt bad about it.

WeeFreeMen
2009-09-16, 01:25 AM
Well at 11th level you can get Vitriolic Blast invocation; but I don't know an item that really helps. Maybe an orange ioun stone (+1 competence bonus to CL) and I think there is a ring in the magic item compendium that grants a +2 enhancement bonus to CL versus SR.

Also I have to shamefully confess that I've given my girlfriend benefits before... in my defense two of the other players told me to (and while there was technically I think 5 players at the time 1 slept through the game more often than not). Still felt bad about it.

I understand my friend. Sometimes we just gotta do what we gotta do :smallcool:

On that note.
I vote grab the Eldritch Staff, buy Belts of Healing for everyone in the party.
Save the rest. Money makes the world go round and while frying someones brains with your awesome Rod of awesome costing an arm and a leg IS fun.
Giving a sad sap 100g to follow you around and dance at your wheim is just to awesome to pass up :p

Also, bribes are nice. Nothing catches a kings eye like 20+k sparkling gems / coins.

(Then again, I am not a Power Player by far, I perfer to take the comedic or RP route to things )

Jade_Tarem
2009-09-16, 01:45 AM
Buy an airship, an airship crew, and a scroll of Gate. Pay a wizard with Sudden Widen to cast it, then sail that baby through to Eberron. Just for lulz. I promise your DM will never see it coming.

oxinabox
2009-09-16, 03:30 AM
I'm actually not that oposed to the girl friend thing, i understand that subconciously even when trying not to a guy'll do that.
He doesn't do it too much, it's not like the "you miss" "cough," "I mean critical hit"

How about retraining into an Eldritch Glaive fighter? You're perfectly set up for that now.
Once I have my Eldritch Rod of Binding, I'll Retrain Sickening Blast to Eldritch Glaive. (and next lvl when twarlock retrain happens)
Awesome Idea, My Dex is better than my STR, and Chain does 3 hits vs my attack which does 2.
But when there is only one thing to Hit, the using Chain Won't help.
and Eldritch Glaive is Touch where as Hidios Blow is just normal melee.
(to rmeind my self, that's on p82 of Dragon Magic)

AS to tyhe idead of Dazeling people with my money:
My charcter has Maxed out diguise, and more importantly Bluff.
and He Has 200 Mixed Fake Gems. (took me ages to find a source book that haqd them)
I have pulled off the "Would you look at this beautiful diamond, i'm sure it will cover your costs, keep the change"
Bluff: 30

notagain111
2009-09-16, 04:06 PM
I've always been a fan of spending vast amounts of gold on silly things like a flying tavern to live/travel in... I actually drew up detailed plans at some point, using the stronghold builders guide for such a thing that cost something like 200000GP. I could try and dig them up if your interested in something as silly as that...

Shademan
2009-09-16, 04:22 PM
mercenaries. lots of em!
TIME TO CONQUER!!!

AslanCross
2009-09-16, 06:11 PM
Five million chickens.

oxinabox
2009-09-17, 05:06 AM
mercenaries. lots of em!
TIME TO CONQUER!!!

two party members have actually already got (between them) a free army of 5000 assassins...

Shademan
2009-09-17, 09:06 AM
two party members have actually already got (between them) a free army of 5000 assassins...

assassins are all well and good, but you need FIGHTERS! MANY!
if most armies consist of low level warriors and conscripted commoners a slightly smaller but better trained and equipped army of fighters will do better. After you have started looting the countryside the army will supply itself with food and your coffers will increase, letting you buy even more soldiers! and not long after that, people will willingly ENLIST! as not-mercenaries... if you understand?
yeees.... first the meadow.... then...THE WORLD!

JellyPooga
2009-09-17, 09:12 AM
100,000gp is just enough to buy a set of 5 Ring Gates (well, strictly speaking two and a half pairs of them)...you should buy that! Ring Gates are cool!

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-09-17, 12:42 PM
This level of ridiculous bonuses is where you either retire or decide to go become a god. . . I like the go become a god path personally.